Welcome, Guest

OivedElokim-I’ll never give up
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 33528 Views

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 21 Mar 2021 21:32 #365829

• oivedelokim
  • Current streak: 61 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Literally all Jewish music.

Avraham Fried.
MBD.
Ishay Ribbo.
Baruch Levine.
Benny Friedman.
Berri Weber.
Shmuli Ungar.
Joey Newcomb.
Levy Falkowitz.
Yonatan Sheinfeld.
Motty Steinmetz.
etc.
I am a bochur with a passion for meaning and truth, searching to remain clean and live a holy and fulfilling life.

If you are reading this-you have a friend in me.
Feel free to PM me and I'll share my offline contact information, so we can call and text. I'd be honored if you'd trust me with your story and promise to support you in any way I possibly can.
I've been on GYE for over 7 years. "I may walk slow, but I never walk back" (-Abraham Lincoln?).
(For the background and meaning of my username- see Tanya chapter 15).

My current thread 
Last Edit: 21 Mar 2021 21:33 by oivedelokim.

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 21 Mar 2021 21:51 #365832

• DeletedUser825
  • Current streak: 109 days
  • Expert Boarder
Sounds like youre into a lot of chassidishe artists. Id like to recommend: 
Simche Friedman
Beri Weber
Nissim Black (if youre into hip hop at all)
Mendy Piamenta
Lipa Schmeltzer has some fun songs too
Boruch Sholom
8th day/ eli marcus

Also some other artists who have inspired me too are:
Simcha Leiner
Ari goldwag
Dovid Lowy
Eitan Freilich
Eli Gerstner
Matt dubb
Mordechai Shapiro
Nachas
Uri Davidi
Mesivta of Waterbury

All time favorite songs that are mechazeik me when feeling depressed, have urges, etc:
Ahahela- Avi zelinger
All From Above- Mesivta of Waterbury
Hashem Melech- Mordechai shapiro
Yehudi Zeh Hachi
Kol hakavod- simcha leiner
Elokai- Shalsheles junior
yedid nefesh- Bentzi Marcus 

Hope this helps! Hatzlocha!
My thread: Let's get this party started

Who the heck is Benoni?

Procrastination is something best put off until tomorrow. -Gerald Vaughan
Last Edit: 22 Mar 2021 02:13 by DeletedUser825.

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 21 Mar 2021 21:58 #365834

• oivedelokim
  • Platinum Boarder
Nissim Black is great.
His songs have helped me a lot.
Especially "Hold On" and "A Million Years".
Just recently found "All From Above" by Waterbury. I love it.
Thank you for the recommendations.
Keep em coming...
I am a bochur with a passion for meaning and truth, searching to remain clean and live a holy and fulfilling life.

Feel free to PM me and I'll share my offline contact information, so we can call and text. I'd be honored if you'd trust me with your story and promise to support you in any way I possibly can.
I've been on GYE for over 7 years. "I may walk slow, but I never walk back" (-Abraham Lincoln?).

My current thread 

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 21 Mar 2021 22:02 #365835

• oivedelokim
  • Platinum Boarder
Day zero.

Clean since last night.
Had a long coffee date with a good friend today. It was very nice. There’s nothing quite like a nice long talk with someone who cares...

My current thread 

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 21 Mar 2021 22:49 #365838

• hakolhevel
  • Current streak: 42 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Last night I had an urge. Luckily my kid needed a diaper change. After which sanity reigned.

Barring a crying child, ive found for me, the best tactic above all is
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My Thread:The Road To Being Honest With Myself (and others:)

My other Thread: My Daily Inspiration

I'm not a slow learner, I'm just quick to forget" - Eli Nash

A bit of honesty and less over confidence might help me - Imperfection

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 22 Mar 2021 01:32 #365851

• lou
  • Platinum Boarder
As far as music goes, I have found that fast hartzik music works best. If I  am having a strong urge then slow music just makes me want to turn it off right away and rocky music just enhances the feelings....

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 22 Mar 2021 10:01 #365862

• Striving Avreich
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Gold Boarder
Last night I discovered Mi K'amcha Yisroel by Joey Newcomb & Benny Friedman, and Kol Haderech by Mordechai Shapiro is excellent, the words get me every time

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 22 Mar 2021 15:45 #365879

• oivedelokim
  • Platinum Boarder
Hakolhevel wrote on 21 Mar 2021 22:49:
Last night I had an urge. Luckily my kid needed a diaper change. After which sanity reigned.

That’s not an effective strategy. It doesn’t take me away from the urges and fantasies. The only way to be מסיח דעת is to get involved in something else, i.e. distraction.

My current thread 

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 22 Mar 2021 15:45 #365880

• oivedelokim
  • Platinum Boarder
I think I’ll add that the most effective strategy is probably to call someone and talk.
Sort of frees you from the confines of your mind.
אין חבוש מתיר את עצמו מבית האסורים

My current thread 
Last Edit: 22 Mar 2021 15:47 by oivedelokim.

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 22 Mar 2021 17:18 #365882

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
OivedElokim wrote on 22 Mar 2021 15:45:
I think I’ll add that the most effective strategy is probably to call someone and talk.
Sort of frees you from the confines of your mind.
אין חבוש מתיר את עצמו מבית האסורים

If I may add to the above...
​The Pasuk in Mishlei (18:1) says: "Le'taava yevakesh nifrad - Desire seeks isolation". Being isolated causes us to go after our Taavah - our lust. The addiction wants us to withdraw into ourselves and disconnect from life. A partner in this struggle can do wonders in helping us reconnect to the world around us and ultimately break free. Going into detail with someone else about what we've done, is also known to be one of the best ways to get out the shame, guilt and remorse, and move on.

In addition to the above, simply telling over our feelings and thoughts to a friend or mentor, has tremendous power to help us break the insidious power of the addiction. As the Tzetel Katan of the great Chassidic master, R' Elimelech of Lizentzk states:
One should relate before one's teacher, who instructs him in the way of HaShem, or even before a good friend, all of one's thoughts that are contrary to the Holy Torah that the Yetzer HaRah causes to arise in his mind or heart… And one should not withhold anything because of shame. He will find that by relating these things, he will gain the power to break the strength of the Yetzer HaRah so that it will no longer be able to overcome him other times. This is in addition to the good advice that he will receive from his friend in the ways of Hashem. And this is a wonderful remedy.

We see from the above, that simply relating ones struggles to a friend or mentor has the power to break the strength of the Yetzer Hara. Aside from the fact that the very act of talking it out already lessens the struggle, the main purpose of a partner is that it introduces the vital element of "accountability" into the equation.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 22 Mar 2021 19:07 #365889

• hakolhevel
  • Current streak: 42 days
  • Platinum Boarder
OivedElokim wrote on 22 Mar 2021 15:45:

Hakolhevel wrote on 21 Mar 2021 22:49:

That’s not an effective strategy. It doesn’t take me away from the urges and fantasies. The only way to be מסיח דעת is to get involved in something else, i.e. distraction.

Since everyone was adding bold letters, I thought I would add a few too

I try to stay away from absolutes. Each to their own. There is no most effective strategy. We all share what works for us and thereby try to help others.

With love. HKH
My Thread:The Road To Being Honest With Myself (and others:)

My other Thread: My Daily Inspiration

I'm not a slow learner, I'm just quick to forget" - Eli Nash

A bit of honesty and less over confidence might help me - Imperfection

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 23 Mar 2021 22:29 #365989

Back to the music thing, the song that really gets through to me is "Your Greatest win" by Moshe Tischler. It basically describes how challenges are hard, but it's worth it to go through them and beat them. The suggestions mentioned above are also really good. I would also add "I can be" by Yaakov Shwekey, "Rise up" by Simcha Leiner, and even "Pray" by Michoel Pruzansky. Hope they help give you the inspiration you need!

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 23 Mar 2021 22:51 #365991

• DeletedUser825
  • Current streak: 109 days
  • Expert Boarder
Rise up is amazing! I’ll have to check out “Your Greatest Win” but moshe tischler is a fantastic singer. Nice suggestions!
My thread: Let's get this party started

Who the heck is Benoni?

Procrastination is something best put off until tomorrow. -Gerald Vaughan

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 24 Mar 2021 22:19 #366045

• oivedelokim
  • Platinum Boarder
Day three 

Traveling today.
Clean.

My current thread 

Re: OivedElokim-I’ll never give up 24 Mar 2021 23:24 #366050

• eyes
  • Current streak: 137 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Safe trip.
Keep updating us.
Hatzlacha
Time to create page: 0.67 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes