Welcome, Guest

Starting again!!!
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Starting again!!! 8083 Views

Re: Starting again!!! 19 Dec 2020 23:24 #359087

• yeshivaguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
If ur not in Yeshiva tonight, make sure to prepare. Cuz motzei Shabbos can get rough 

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 01:11 #359106

• oivedelokim
  • Current streak: 103 days
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 18 Dec 2020 04:51:

OivedElokim wrote on 17 Dec 2020 20:42:
Today has been slow and lethargic, but it’s not over yet. Gonna go daven mincha, light menorah, and get in a few hours of learning, productivity and connection. See y’all later.

Howd it go? How u holdin up with the infiltered stuff around?

I don’t have to use it if I don’t want to. That’s it. That’s my special power.
I am a bochur with a passion for meaning and truth, searching to remain clean and live a holy and fulfilling life.

If you are reading this-you have a friend in me.
Feel free to PM me and I'll share my offline contact information, so we can call and text. I'd be honored if you'd trust me with your story and promise to support you in any way I possibly can.
I've been on GYE for over 7 years. "I may walk slow, but I never walk back" (-Abraham Lincoln?).
(For the background and meaning of my username- see Tanya chapter 15).

My current thread 

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 01:33 #359110

• zedj
  • Current streak: 14 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Keep inspiring us!
I have to learn to enable my own special power

One who has given up hope is without a G‑d.

One who sees hope in each day is already free

Last Edit: 20 Dec 2020 01:34 by zedj. Reason: fixed word

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 03:21 #359116

• oivedelokim
  • Platinum Boarder
Friday night I struggled with some urges. I also struggled with depression, with questions of identity. I came up with this:
I am stuck.
I didn’t get myself here.
My weaknesses don’t originate with me, my base instincts are not of my making.
My foolishness, my drive for self-gratification did not make itself heard because I fell. It’s the core of who I am.
I did not get myself into this mess. It was G-d who put me here. And as bad as it is for me, my G-dly soul is in bigger trouble.
Let me try and help him out, to redeem him, to give expression to his thirst and yearning, to let him yearn for G-d, to pour out his soul in prayer, to learn Torah, to do mitzvos, to let him return to his source, his  natural habitat.

And I’ll celebrate his joy, in the prince returning from captivity to his fathers home. There’s nothing more powerful or more moving.

(ע״פ לקו״א תניא פרק לא)
A gut voch!
I am a bochur with a passion for meaning and truth, searching to remain clean and live a holy and fulfilling life.

Feel free to PM me and I'll share my offline contact information, so we can call and text. I'd be honored if you'd trust me with your story and promise to support you in any way I possibly can.
I've been on GYE for over 7 years. "I may walk slow, but I never walk back" (-Abraham Lincoln?).

My current thread 
Last Edit: 20 Dec 2020 11:52 by oivedelokim.

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 03:26 #359118

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
OivedElokim wrote on 20 Dec 2020 03:21:
Friday night I struggled with some urges. I also struggled with depression, with questions of identity. I came up with this:
I am stuck.
I didn’t get myself here.
My weaknesses don’t originate with me, my base instincts are not of my making.
My foolishness, my drive for self-gratification did not make itself heard because I fell. It’s the core of who I am.
I did not get myself into this mess. It was G-d who put me here. And as bad as it is for me, my G-dly soul is in bigger trouble. Let me try and help him out, to redeem him, to give expression to his thirst and yearns, to let him yearn for G-d, to pour out his soul in prayer, to learn to do mitzvos, to let him return to his source, his  natural habitat. And illegal rejoice in his joy, in the prince returning from captivity to his fathers home. There’s nothing more powerful or more moving.
A gut voch!

Big Yesod. That אדם is composed of 2 conflicting kochos. Self acceptance is accepting that this constant conflict defines אדם.
Through Tanya, Alei Shur et one learns such concepts, the hard part is internalizing it and living with it

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 03:28 #359119

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
If I may ask, what is this “identity crisis” which u face?
Perhaps better to speak over PM if that’s more comfortable, whatever u prefer
Last Edit: 20 Dec 2020 03:29 by yeshivaguy.

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 12:07 #359151

• oivedelokim
  • Platinum Boarder
I don’t think it’s a unique identity crisis. I think we all experience an instinct towards holiness and purity, to do the right thing. At the same till we feed drawn to the world and all of its temptations. 

We then ask ourselves “who is the real me, and who is the imposter “ as we fail to recognize that they’re both real. One is our נפש האלוקית and the other is our נפש הבהמית. As soon as we recognize that, we feel validated, because we can attribute to each one what they’re responsible for.

I hope this is somewhat coherent and clarifying. If you have any comments or disagreements don’t hesitate to share...

My current thread 

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 17:04 #359174

• realestatemogul
  • Current streak: 1290 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Oived, 

I totally understand what you are saying! I very often feel conflicted and wonder why it is so hard for me to want to do the right thing, when I supposedly believe it is the truth. 

Maybe this thought I just had recently will be helpful for you. Mesilas Yesharim (quoting various chazal) talks about this world just being a waiting room for the next world. Specifically, he focuses on not falling prey to the pleasures of this world at the expense of the next world. It hit me that maybe my expectations of purely wanting to do the right thing are our of place. Maybe we are meant to be conflicted and only in the next world our "identity" is clear. 

When you go on an amazing vacation, you don't expect the time in the airport to be exciting and full of fun. Imagine if you got depressed because you found the airport boring and decided to cancel your trip. You would be a fool! Your trip didn't even start yet! 

I realized that maybe if I truly was able to look at this world like that airport, then I can start to look at this world for what it is. A place for tough work, requiring determination, and with a focus on the ultimate future. Then I may not be as conflicted and my emotions would match my reality. 

Let me know if that makes sense, and if you find it helpful! 

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 17:57 #359197

• zedj
  • Platinum Boarder

Maybe this thought I just had recently will be helpful for you. Mesilas Yesharim (quoting various chazal) talks about this world just being a waiting room for the next world. Specifically, he focuses on not falling prey to the pleasures of this world at the expense of the next world.

You remind me of the "8th day" song:

I traveled halfway across the world to see a sage I heard he lived like such a poor man in this day and age I said, where’s your leather couches Where’s your golden chandelier Where’s your walk-in closet For all that stuff you could wear. 

Well, all you got is that suitcase my friend, ain’t that true?

I said, yeah but you know that I’m just passing through

That’s when he said… 

I’m just like you I’m just passing through just like you My heart wants to feel Something that’s real And my mind hopes to find Treasures of another kind And if you had my eyes you’d see A palace for you and me.

(It's based off a true story. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.)

Last Edit: 20 Dec 2020 17:59 by zedj.

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 18:03 #359198

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
Zedj wrote on 20 Dec 2020 17:57:

Maybe this thought I just had recently will be helpful for you. Mesilas Yesharim (quoting various chazal) talks about this world just being a waiting room for the next world. Specifically, he focuses on not falling prey to the pleasures of this world at the expense of the next world.

You remind me of the "8th day" song:

I traveled halfway across the world to see a sage I heard he lived like such a poor man in this day and age I said, where’s your leather couches Where’s your golden chandelier Where’s your walk-in closet For all that stuff you could wear. 

Well, all you got is that suitcase my friend, ain’t that true?

I said, yeah but you know that I’m just passing through

That’s when he said… 

I’m just like you I’m just passing through just like you My heart wants to feel Something that’s real And my mind hopes to find Treasures of another kind And if you had my eyes you’d see A palace for you and me.

(It's based off a true story. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.)

Famous story with the Chafetz Chaim...

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 18:28 #359202

• zedj
  • Platinum Boarder
I never heard this story with the chofetz Chaim but probably!
So many stories with so many chassidim, rabbeim, tzaddikim and great sages get mixed up very often. (ateast I mix them up).... Or similar stories are recorded.

Last Edit: 20 Dec 2020 22:06 by zedj.

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 21:48 #359218

• mggsbms
  • Platinum Boarder
Realestatemogul wrote on 20 Dec 2020 17:04:
Hi Oived, 

I totally understand what you are saying! I very often feel conflicted and wonder why it is so hard for me to want to do the right thing, when I supposedly believe it is the truth. 

Maybe this thought I just had recently will be helpful for you. Mesilas Yesharim (quoting various chazal) talks about this world just being a waiting room for the next world. Specifically, he focuses on not falling prey to the pleasures of this world at the expense of the next world. It hit me that maybe my expectations of purely wanting to do the right thing are our of place. Maybe we are meant to be conflicted and only in the next world our "identity" is clear. 

When you go on an amazing vacation, you don't expect the time in the airport to be exciting and full of fun. Imagine if you got depressed because you found the airport boring and decided to cancel your trip. You would be a fool! Your trip didn't even start yet! 

I realized that maybe if I truly was able to look at this world like that airport, then I can start to look at this world for what it is. A place for tough work, requiring determination, and with a focus on the ultimate future. Then I may not be as conflicted and my emotions would match my reality. 

Let me know if that makes sense, and if you find it helpful! 

That could be quite a morbid excistance, living 70 80 years in a airport. Living the right way should make the journey enjoyable as well.
Aka -  Mischadeish075 Email mischadeish075@gmail.com

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 22:14 #359220

• zedj
  • Platinum Boarder
I play this out in my head alot. It's funny I don't just cut to the chase and say "im not doing this" rather it's a whole back and forth.

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 22:52 #359221

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
Zedj wrote on 20 Dec 2020 22:14:
I play this out in my head alot. It's funny I don't just cut to the chase and say "im not doing this" rather it's a whole back and forth.

Every time? That is exhaustive and tiring! Eventually you should be able to reach a point where the "back and forth " doesn't have to take place as often. Maybe sometimes when the urge is tremendously overwhelming, but as a whole it should be clear to you that every back and forth already ended the same way.

That is the whole idea of creating a pro and con list. Have the decision made already. So when confronted you don't need to call a board meeting and discuss the options again. All you have to do is reference yesterday's decision.

Not only is it less tiring, it will prevent the battle from progressing, and withhold you from having to answer every new angle thought of.

Re: Starting again!!! 20 Dec 2020 23:34 #359223

• zedj
  • Platinum Boarder
@grant

Thanks for the response.
To clarify..it's not every time but Its not uncommon.
I made a pro and cons list...I have to find it.
I guess it's time to rewrite it and have it in hands reach

Time to create page: 0.69 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes