Welcome, Guest

Starting over again, seriously
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Starting over again, seriously 7925 Views

Re: Starting over again, seriously 29 Dec 2020 19:36 #360105

• Thistimeillwin
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Senior Boarder
Bummer of a day.  Mikva night was a cold-shoulder night over something I said to try to help a situation, but one sentence was blown out of proportion.  Today was fighting, even as I took off half the day of work to babysit (I came home 10 minutes too late).  Most of the rest of the day is obsessing over how not to go back to my usual outlet when things go sour with the Mrs. instead of a productive work session.  Been on GYE ten times today because I have nothing else I am motivated to do now... At least I woke up on the right side of the ground.

Re: Starting over again, seriously 30 Dec 2020 03:53 #360127

• escapeartist
  • Current streak: 59 days
  • Expert Boarder
Not acting out when the Mrs is cranky is probably one of the strongest things we will ever do.
I relate to mikvah night being like that. Mikvah makes my wife very stressed out, & I have to tiptoe on eggshells around the whole sugya; not fun.

Re: Starting over again, seriously 31 Dec 2020 17:30 #360269

• eom308
  • Fresh Boarder
I've experienced that in the past as well. Sometimes I feel like the urge wants is using the situation as an excuse, justifying it with my anger or being upset. Glad to hear that you were able to stay focused! Continued success!

Re: Starting over again, seriously 04 Jan 2021 22:53 #360533

• Thistimeillwin
  • Senior Boarder
Do you ever have one of those days where you don't feel the lust to do it, just overwhelmed with things in general and you want to resort to that (former) favorite form of comfort and solace, that comfortable feeling of 'taking care of business' before you return to the real world?

The addiction definitely has a strong aspect of lust, but is also clearly a coping mechanism to deal with anger, stress, boredom, anxiety, fear etc. when there is no lust triggering it.

B'H I didn't give in.  I'm leaving the last opportunity for a hard fall today right now.  Tomorrow is a new day, hopefully with fewer challenges.

Re: Starting over again, seriously 05 Jan 2021 00:20 #360536

• yeshivaguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Yup I relate...
Keep shteiging!

Re: Starting over again, seriously 05 Jan 2021 06:15 #360592

• escapeartist
  • Current streak: 59 days
  • Expert Boarder
Absolutely! I've been told that EVERY time I feel like acting out it's because something is bothering me. I have not quite reached that recognition & still believe that sometimes it is plain ol' lust; but it's definitely true that when I am bothered by any of the things you mentioned that I feel like escaping to the land of masturbation, even if not necessarily for lust-purposes. I also find that lust-hits are magnified hundreds of times over when I'm particularly stressed by something. (- like sitting too long in this quarantine losing my marbles!).
Just knowing that it's a תוצאה of the stress usually helps me pass it, telling myself that it won't really be as awesome as I think it will be, that it's just my stressed-out addict-brain kvetching to me.
Keep it up, you're an inspiration to many of us here!

Re: Starting over again, seriously 06 Jan 2021 03:25 #360668

• Thistimeillwin
  • Senior Boarder
Fell today.  Then again.  And again.

No desire for lust, no arousal, no itch in the pants.

Just had to do it and was immobilized half the day because I couldn't do it, but I couldn't get my mind off doing it.

Eventually did it.  It bothers me, but I don't feel regret.  I'm not very upset. More upset about a wasted day not being productive at the office.  I'm just 'so well, I'll just have it harder breaking through again...'

What's the matter with me?

Re: Starting over again, seriously 06 Jan 2021 04:25 #360677

• zedj
  • Current streak: 14 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I can relate to this.
Just doing it for the simple reason of doing it.
Though I may have not felt regret, it never felt good or satisfying

Having regrets can be saved for another time anyway.

We are glad your starting again!
take one day at a time!

One who has given up hope is without a G‑d.

One who sees hope in each day is already free

Re: Starting over again, seriously 06 Jan 2021 18:54 #360718

• hakolhevel
  • Current streak: 42 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Ouch. I know the by regret feeling. I think it's a mechanism of our mind not to get the pain of regret, although I don't really know.

Either way, regret never really kept me clean, when you feel a little bit better, write down, why do you want to be clean?
My Thread:The Road To Being Honest With Myself (and others:)

My other Thread: My Daily Inspiration

I'm not a slow learner, I'm just quick to forget" - Eli Nash

A bit of honesty and less over confidence might help me - Imperfection
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2021 18:54 by hakolhevel.
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes