Welcome, Guest

The Elul transformation
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Elul transformation 2124 Views

The Elul transformation 12 Aug 2018 15:05 #334571

• kavod
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Junior Boarder
Shalom,
We are on Rosh Chodesh Elul.
Elul is a time historically meant for inner change for jews [1]
Let's all unite this Elul, and mark a 40 days clean. From today, till Yom Kippur.

If we do it all toguether, and support each other, Hashem can be very happy with us.
Who knows, maybe we can even bring the Moshiach?
Who is in it?

Let's remember that if somebody falls but is one two falls out of 40 days, probably will be counted in.
Because the goal is not expressively not to fall never, but to transform ourselves. And yes, that makes falling then an oddity that we ask forgiveness immediately and hardly repeat.

We can help each other. Let's bring the Moshiach and fix this mess once and for all.

In the way in which a person wants to go, that is the way in which he will be led. (Makkot 10b)

Last Edit: 12 Aug 2018 15:13 by kavod.

Re: The Elul transformation 12 Aug 2018 23:17 #334591

• kavod
  • Junior Boarder
Day 1 Elul 1

Necessary piece of wisdom I learned, and I honestly still have not tried, but seems promising.
For when you are really in the worst falling situations, where your cravings kick hard, but you still want to stop it, yet you do not how.

It seems that our brain, when cravings hit hard, and all our other thinking and solutions do not work, is because now it blocks our most higher level of thinking.
Yes, do you know that fight or flight response?
So our brain is in alert mode, and blocks our capacity to see things better. The addiction loop has all our attention. I guess for all of us with hard addiction.

So we can step back, and breath. Yes breath! In, out, as if we were meditation or something, our mind and body calms down, and our higher thinking is able to function again.
We keep relaxing, and focusing on our breath, and see all our feelings and cravings pass by, like as spectators.
And then, we may still fall, but also may be able to know what we really want to do, what is the right thing to do, what is best long term to do, what we really love in live more than the addiction,  and even trick the addiction and substitute it by a clever alternative, healthy.

I have not tried it yet. But it seems logic, because I have been able to stop all triggers, but my last one, coupled with lack of sleep, just was like I could not think clearly.

And A, is because I am addicted. And B, my cravings hijacked my brain.
So breath. Focus on your breath for two minutes, relax next time, and let's all see how it goes.
And resist the cravings for about 20-40 minutes. And it disappears! And we get stronger!

Or this is what they say...

Anyway, I guess not pain no gain. Well. It's ok. This technique makes it less of a fight though, but more of a waiting or riding the wave.

I guess it's worth a try, or more than one if we still do not harness it right away.

It seems to want to use this famous Mindful meditation of sorts.
I guess it is a kosher use, as soon as you stick it to focus, relax, and just about it. [1]

Hey, maybe before praying it can help also to avert those random thoughts that prevent us from focusing...

Re: The Elul transformation 13 Aug 2018 01:47 #334595

• kavod
  • Junior Boarder
" Talmud Haham : Rabi Obadia, how do you have so huge memory?...
Obadia: I review a lot.
TH: Come on! We also review, what is it?! Tell us!
Obadia: Ok ok. I guard my eyes..."

Video Rabbi Yaron Rubben

"You shall be holy, for I, the Lord, your God, am holy." (Vayikra, 18)
"Holiness starts in your eyes"
Last Edit: 13 Aug 2018 01:53 by kavod.

Re: The Elul transformation 14 Aug 2018 04:05 #334632

• kavod
  • Junior Boarder
Elul, wow.
Today I was able to sleep all night! Good! First time in how knows!
Is the heat disappearing a factor?
Mmm. Ok. So the heat and night are not friends.
Anyway. Let's worry about the heat next year.
Uhu!!
That means, I am up so early, I feel like I can actually sleep at night and use nights for what they are for.
B'H'

Re: The Elul transformation 14 Aug 2018 06:27 #334635

• kavod
  • Junior Boarder
Not to take out responsibility but this kosher article is interesting. [1]

Researchers now believe that about 60% of addiction is epigenetic.

That is. We may be born with a unique fixed DNA, but how we read the DNA changes depending on our lifestyle and environment.
I guess Hashem decides when and how to change the DNA, but we do have a lot to say about how we tap into our DNA.
If we interact badly with ourselves, that means we have procedures that activate DNA for the bad in our cells. This also gives rise to diseases, bad tendencies, inclinations.
If we have a good way of live, all our cells multiply with the good way of reading the DNA.

We have free will and can fix and redirect behaviours, that in turn changes the cells and the way it reads the same DNA.

How then does it get transmitted?
Excerpt from Transgenerational Epigenetics [2]

During mitotic cell divisions the epigenetic states are inherited from one cell to another, but much of the epigenetic message of the genome is reset during reproduction of an organism. However, the epigenetic erasure process is not complete and meiotic epigenetic transfer of information may allow phenotypic traits to appear in subsequent generations, a process referred to as transgenerational epigenetics. The epigenetic information, often established by mechanisms such as DNA methylationhistone modifications, and non-coding RNA, may not only influence gene expression in the first generation of offspring, but may persist for multiple generations.

In short. Though there is a general reset in our children DNA, our behaviour and lifestyle, can affect a few next generations.

The Lord, the Lord, compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in loving-kindness and truth … Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.” (Ex. 34: 7)

So I guess, we do get this hereditary pathologies, but can change it for good, and fix it for generations to come.

"But for those who love Me and keep My commandments, I show love for thousands of generations" (Exodus 20:6)

I guess you go back to read the DNA as is supposed to.

And this is why our tasks is so important. We must be clean.
​This is the porpoise of our struggle, to fix. To be participants in who Hashem wants us to be.

The "bread of shame" is one reason we must build ourselves. We do not want to be robots and be entities that all is given to us done, easy, free.
This concept, "nahama d'kisufa", is deeper. Hashem gives. We receive. Hashem created us to be more like Him.
So then, how can we give to Hashem? Does He need anything from us?
Well. This is this world  - An opportunity to give Him; an opportunity to give others; an opportunity to be more like Him; an opportunity to be givers.
An angel can not do that, nor any other being. Only human beings can decide to give back to Hashem.
And if it were easy, how then would that make us participants?

Let's be that generation, the generation that gives the final tikun not only to ourselves, but to our descendants, to creation, and the core reason, to our connection with Hashem.
Last Edit: 14 Aug 2018 06:45 by kavod.

Re: The Elul transformation 14 Aug 2018 10:15 #334638

• mzl
  • Current streak: 28 days
  • Platinum Boarder
This Ellul transformation thing sounds scary to me. Worth trying though, for you it might work.

Re: The Elul transformation 14 Aug 2018 10:30 #334639

• kavod
  • Junior Boarder
I do not know. It sounds cool.
Regardless, it is a spiritually conductive time I think.
Moses came on last day Av, with new tablets, and convinced Gd to forgive the jewish people.
Then from Elul 1 to Yom Kippur jews prepared themselves spiritually again.
Certainly these are times conductive to improve, grow, or even transform if the need is stronger.
I guess we all stick to what works for oneself as you say. Agree.
Thank you mzl for answering the post! 
Last Edit: 15 Aug 2018 21:32 by kavod.

Re: The Elul transformation 22 Aug 2018 21:48 #334918

• realestatemogul
  • Current streak: 1290 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey!
I really hope your transformation works!
Looks like we are about together on 90 day journey.
We can do this!
I am trying to stay connected on GYE and surrendering my challenges to Hashem.
What is your strategy?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes