Welcome, Guest

Journey of one day at a time
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Journey of one day at a time 143858 Views

Re: Journey of one day at a time 01 Aug 2017 04:29 #318160

• cmh
  • Current streak: 109 days
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks. 

i'm new here.

i guess pleasure seeking is a major drive- certainly for me.

so finding pleasure in -like you said- being comfortable is great.

but i find i need more than that.

part of my ADHD, need high stimulation.

but i try to find it in family, learning, & other good stuff.

I've been srtuggling for about 44 years- when life would get tougher, i'd fall more.

now, baruch Hashem- 8 days clean, one day at a time, very hopeful that i'll manage 90- it feels within my ability- bezras Hashem.

THen ny 13 year old son came and asked me for help- wha an unbeleivable chizuk! so far it's going well for both of us.

here's a thought:

Tisha Be’Av usually gets me down.

But I realised-

This means that Hashem,

(who runs things)

(and controls everything)

Has not given up on me,

And Has a plan to get me to where I need to be.

Despite my numerous and (sometimes feels like) insuperable shortcomings

Hashem considers my life to be meaningful right now, and totally fixable. (that’s why he keeps me around).

I know I can’t fix it alone.

I know that He can.

I give my life over to him.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 01 Aug 2017 21:21 #318184

• yiraishamaim
  • Platinum Boarder
cmh wrote on 01 Aug 2017 04:29:

... ny 13 year old son came and asked me for help- wha an unbeleivable chizuk! so far it's going well for both of us.

The fact your son came over to you in that way says good things about your relationship. 

Have much Nachas! and KOT

Re: Journey of one day at a time 01 Aug 2017 22:50 #318186

cmh wrote on 01 Aug 2017 04:29:
thanks. 

i'm new here.

i guess pleasure seeking is a major drive- certainly for me.

so finding pleasure in -like you said- being comfortable is great.

but i find i need more than that.

I actually suggested the exact opposite! That being comfortable isn't so pleasureable. Sitting on a couch is comfortable, but is that pleasure?

Real pleasure comes from engaging in life, like you write about finding pleasure in learning, family etc. 

Anyways, thought I'd just clarify what I meant.

Hatzlacha rabba!
If you are really bored, you can check out my original thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/305558-Journey-of-one-day-at-a-time 

"Think good and it will be good!"

Re: Journey of one day at a time 01 Aug 2017 23:08 #318187

Day 13: The daily recovery actions that I'm taking, such as writing on the forum and reading the chizuk emails do only one thing for me. They remind to live. They remind me that if i disengage from life it won't be long before I'll lose my sobriety. Lusting for me isn't a choice. It's a consequence. A consequence of not being engaged in the life G-d has given me. 
If you are really bored, you can check out my original thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/305558-Journey-of-one-day-at-a-time 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 02 Aug 2017 00:24 #318193

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome CMH  Hashem should give you hatzlocha here. Its great that your son turned to you. What did you advise him?
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Journey of one day at a time 02 Aug 2017 20:49 #318229

Day 14: I'm tired. We humans are quite delicate. Without proper sleep it's hard to function. Maybe Hashem made us like this so we wouldn't grow arrogant. Indeed, it's hard to think you're so strong when a couple nights of little sleep turn you into a zombie. 

Lesson: Go to bed! But,... Go to bed, darn it!  

P.S I think it's important to be aware of your physical and mental state. Sometimes you can be tired and not be fully aware of it. Then you feel funny/extra triggered and you wonder, what the heck is going on? 

If you realize you are tired, you can remind yourself not to take your thoughts and feelings too seriously while in this state of tiredness. Then, be extra careful, and reach out for help if you need it! 

Last Edit: 02 Aug 2017 20:59 by Ihavestrength.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 02 Aug 2017 21:33 #318234

• Shivisi_Hashem
  • Current streak: 158 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Ihavestrength wrote on 02 Aug 2017 20:49:
Day 14: I'm tired. We humans are quite delicate. Without proper sleep it's hard to function. Maybe Hashem made us like this so we wouldn't grow arrogant. Indeed, it's hard to think you're so strong when a couple nights of little sleep turn you into a zombie. 

Lesson: Go to bed! But,... Go to bed, darn it!  

P.S I think it's important to be aware of your physical and mental state. Sometimes you can be tired and not be fully aware of it. Then you feel funny/extra triggered and you wonder, what the heck is going on? 

If you realize you are tired, you can remind yourself not to take your thoughts and feelings too seriously while in this state of tiredness. Then, be extra careful, and reach out for help if you need it! 

Day 14? 2 weeks! what an inspiration !!!! 2 weeks is a lot, 14 times TODAY !!! wowowowowo, keep on doing what you are doing, im waiting daily for your post.. Thank You!
My email:jacdoja@gmail.com
My threads: my long נסיעה of almost 30 years ~ My Book of Business ~ My Upcoming Dilemma

להטות לבבנו אליו ללכת בכל דרכיו ולשמר מצותיו וחקיו ומשפטיו אשר צוה את אבתינו
כי עיקר מציאות האדם בעה"ז הוא רק לקיים מצות ולעמד בניסיון,  והנאות העולם אין ראוי שיהו לו אלא לעזר ולסיוע בלבד לשיהיה לו נחת רוח ויישוב הדעת למען יוכל לפנות לבו אל העבודה הזאת מסילת ישרים

Re: Journey of one day at a time 03 Aug 2017 04:55 #318252

• cmh
  • Fresh Boarder
He called me to pick him up in the car, he wanted to speak to me.
he was very upset- he'd fallen.
it took him a while, and lots of encouragement, and he eventually was able to say what had happened- hoz"l.
through the whole conversatio- even b4 he'd said what it was, I had given him messages tha loads of people fall, just gotta geddup & carry on- the yeser hora wants your soul, not the avera, 
anyway, it was a good shmues.

a few days later I initiated a conversation- he accepted the invitation. We talked about chizuk etc, I encouraged him to take a definite step- like something he would do b4 he fell. he said OK

I realised that the nrg was coming from me- and I realised that it must come from him. even if it takes longer, he has to do his own journey. he has to be the one talking.he has to bring me in, or wwhoever else will help him.

So I said- from now on, you come to me when you want to talk.

I'd be interested in feedback- should I offer him some accountability? make fixed times to talk?

I know that I'm the father, on site. No-one else can pasken this. but perspectives from other people with more & different xperieces might really help me.
Thanks.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 03 Aug 2017 15:15 #318263

• shlomo24
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Cmh - I'm not really sure what happened. Your son told you he fell?

I have experience including my father in my recovery. You can email me at iam24zman@gmail.com
If you're an LGBTQ or LGBTQ-questioning person and looking for someone who can understand you, feel free to reach out. I promise no judgement and to try and listen the best I can. 

Email: iam24zman@gmail.com
Last Edit: 03 Aug 2017 15:16 by shlomo24.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 03 Aug 2017 15:26 #318264

Day 15: I called into a 12 step phone conference today. I'm thinking very seriously seriously about getting a sponsor and doing the steps. Feeling a bit overwhelmed. 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 03 Aug 2017 18:51 #318274

• shlomo24
  • Platinum Boarder
Ihavestrength wrote on 03 Aug 2017 15:26:
Day 15: I called into a 12 step phone conference today. I'm thinking very seriously seriously about getting a sponsor and doing the steps. Feeling a bit overwhelmed. 

Wow, that's a development. What are your motivations for considering that?
If you're an LGBTQ or LGBTQ-questioning person and looking for someone who can understand you, feel free to reach out. I promise no judgement and to try and listen the best I can. 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 04 Aug 2017 02:49 #318302

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
cmh wrote on 03 Aug 2017 04:55:
He called me to pick him up in the car, he wanted to speak to me.
he was very upset- he'd fallen.
it took him a while, and lots of encouragement, and he eventually was able to say what had happened- hoz"l.
through the whole conversatio- even b4 he'd said what it was, I had given him messages tha loads of people fall, just gotta geddup & carry on- the yeser hora wants your soul, not the avera, 
anyway, it was a good shmues.

a few days later I initiated a conversation- he accepted the invitation. We talked about chizuk etc, I encouraged him to take a definite step- like something he would do b4 he fell. he said OK

I realised that the nrg was coming from me- and I realised that it must come from him. even if it takes longer, he has to do his own journey. he has to be the one talking.he has to bring me in, or wwhoever else will help him.

So I said- from now on, you come to me when you want to talk.

I'd be interested in feedback- should I offer him some accountability? make fixed times to talk?

I know that I'm the father, on site. No-one else can pasken this. but perspectives from other people with more & different xperieces might really help me.
Thanks.

It is really wonderful that your son felt comfortable telling you. Probably it would be wise to hook him up with a rebbi who is trained in dealing with this. Remember, he is young and just starting. He can be helped out of this before it becomes deeply ingrained. He can be spared years of agmas nefesh. In almost every yeshiva there is either a rebbi or social worker trained in this. Big experts in the field are rabbi efraim Glassman in Brooklyn and rabbi Tennenbaum in Chicago (among many others)
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Journey of one day at a time 04 Aug 2017 13:47 #318310

• cmh
  • Fresh Boarder
sounds like you're feeling like you need help, and thinking about taking steps to get it and grow. GOOD FOR  YOU!!!
Sounds like you're not letting the overwhelmedness win!!

May you feel Hashems love & help!

Re: Journey of one day at a time 04 Aug 2017 14:11 #318312

Day 16:

@shlomo24 I don't know right now, I'm a bit confused. Hopefully my head will be clearer in a week. Sorry. 

Hey priest, I watched a TV show yesterday hoping to see something inappropriate. 

Priest: Did you?

Me: Well, I saw pretty women, but unfortunately none were really naked. 

Hey priest, I fantasized a bit last night. 

Priest: About what?

Me: The aforementioned women in the TV show. 

Priest: Seriously?! 

Me: Ya I know, pretty lame right?

Priest: Uh, Yea...

Focusing on these problems of mine makes me crazy. I find even reading the chizuk emails is becoming toxic for me. 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 04 Aug 2017 18:50 #318316

• shlomo24
  • Platinum Boarder
God willing the answers will come to you. Just keep at it one day at a time. That's my experience. I still have so many questions. But I also got so many answers.

Time to create page: 0.66 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes