Welcome, Guest

On the shoulders of those before me
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: On the shoulders of those before me 49479 Views

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 02 Dec 2016 18:07 #299019

• Meier
  • Current streak: 2716 days
  • Senior Boarder
Congratulations
it was a win and you should feel a sense of accomplishment
There's nothing wrong with feeling good about yourself when you have a small victory
World war 2 started for the USA with unimaginable losses.the leadership at times thought we would lose everything.
But the first very small (and in the big picture inconsequential)win lead eventually to the ultimate victory
Gut shabbos

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 02 Dec 2016 22:12 #299022

• shlomo24
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
LifneiHashem wrote on 02 Dec 2016 17:00:
Day 89
last night I needed to be on YouTube. I watched a National Geographic video on spiders for 10 minutes, then I went to bed feeling better.
I'd like to think this was a win but have a feeling it was a lose. 

That would be a win for me. Especially early in recovery.
If you're an LGBTQ or LGBTQ-questioning person and looking for someone who can understand you, feel free to reach out. I promise no judgement and to try and listen the best I can. 

Email: iam24zman@gmail.com

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 04 Dec 2016 01:59 #299026

• LifneiHashem
  • Current streak: 735 days
  • Gold Boarder
90 days. Thank you to all of you who have opened up and exposed your inner thoughts on this forum. I absolutely could not have made it this far without you. 

Re: my last post- A clearer term than win or lose would be a step forward vs a step backward. Sure it was a win to watch spider video and not P&M. But it would be a tough argument to say it was a step forward towards recovery and not a step backward. 

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 04 Dec 2016 02:19 #299027

• shlomo24
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
KUTGW! I wish you much Hatzlacha. Btw, I always loved your thread title.
If you're an LGBTQ or LGBTQ-questioning person and looking for someone who can understand you, feel free to reach out. I promise no judgement and to try and listen the best I can. 

Email: iam24zman@gmail.com

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 04 Dec 2016 02:41 #299028

• LifneiHashem
  • Gold Boarder
Shlomo24 wrote:
KUTGW! I wish you much Hatzlacha. Btw, I always loved your thread title.

Thank you. BTW your shoulders are included! I read your story and was very moved. I hope you are in a good place. 

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 04 Dec 2016 03:41 #299031

• Meier
  • Current streak: 2716 days
  • Senior Boarder
A win is a win Is a win 
congrats on 90
The way I see it is.the very fact that you were on YouTube and you DIDN'T look at anything remotely close to shmutz makes it a win.yes I agree it might not be a step forward,but it definitely wasn't a step backwards.
I like to use analogies
Let's use football for this one.
5 minutes left in the fourth quarter
Your team can win with a field goal,if the offense goes four and out but the defense holds is that a step backwards?? I don't think so.true they didn't gain anything but they didn't lose either.but if the offense turns the ball over that is definitely a step backwards
YOUR offense didn't gain but you didn't turn it over either.and than YOUR defense went to work and within 10 minutes you had a fresh set of downs
A gut vuch
And keep on keeping on

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 04 Dec 2016 18:33 #299078

• tzedekchaim
  • Current streak: 2239 days
  • Gold Boarder
Good job LifneiHashem! Very inspiring!

It definitely is a win. 

ps. I have found for youtube (i generally need it for educational videos on math and stuff) what I do is use the blocksi web filter (it is an extension for chrome) and it has a youtube by category filter. It is not that hard to get around a chrome extension filter if one wants to, BUT if the filter in your head is working, when you browse to categories of videos to just aimlessly fill time, it will block the video. It lets you know that this video is not a reason you need to be on youtube. I can say that it has saved me tons of time. IF someone emails me a you tube video and i open it and it gets blocked, I know that I don't need to see it.  (I have disabled all but four categories of videos and It still gives me access to nearly all the math vids that I need) Just something I find helpful.

pps, for youtube, sometimes what gets people is the thumbnails, you can disable them by turning off images for youtube (either in a filter, or in the chrome settings). Another way to get rid of them without messing up button images for the menu and such is to use the adblock chrome extension and select one of the thumbnails and set it as an ad. Then all the thumbnails will be blocked w/o affected the titles of the recommended movies. Those are my youtube settings, and without them I would be quite nervous going on youtube, in the same way I would be nervous about walking on a rickety footbridge across a deep gorge. I might make it but maybe I wont.

Sorry for the thread invasion just some things related to the youtube discussion. Keep up the wonderful trucking, and keep up the wins!!!

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 04 Dec 2016 23:52 #299103

• cordnoy
LifneiHashem wrote on 02 Dec 2016 17:00:
Day 89
last night I needed to be on YouTube. I watched a National Geographic video on spiders for 10 minutes, then I went to bed feeling better.

Spiders have too many legs for me.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 04 Dec 2016 23:59 #299104

• LifneiHashem
  • Gold Boarder
TzedekChaim wrote:
Good job LifneiHashem! Very inspiring!

It definitely is a win. 

ps. I have found for youtube (i generally need it for educational videos on math and stuff) what I do is use the blocksi web filter (it is an extension for chrome) and it has a youtube by category filter. It is not that hard to get around a chrome extension filter if one wants to, BUT if the filter in your head is working, when you browse to categories of videos to just aimlessly fill time, it will block the video. It lets you know that this video is not a reason you need to be on youtube. I can say that it has saved me tons of time. IF someone emails me a you tube video and i open it and it gets blocked, I know that I don't need to see it.  (I have disabled all but four categories of videos and It still gives me access to nearly all the math vids that I need) Just something I find helpful.

pps, for youtube, sometimes what gets people is the thumbnails, you can disable them by turning off images for youtube (either in a filter, or in the chrome settings). Another way to get rid of them without messing up button images for the menu and such is to use the adblock chrome extension and select one of the thumbnails and set it as an ad. Then all the thumbnails will be blocked w/o affected the titles of the recommended movies. Those are my youtube settings, and without them I would be quite nervous going on youtube, in the same way I would be nervous about walking on a rickety footbridge across a deep gorge. I might make it but maybe I wont.

Sorry for the thread invasion just some things related to the youtube discussion. Keep up the wonderful trucking, and keep up the wins!!!

Thanks for this info. Can I do this with iPad/safari?

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 05 Dec 2016 00:01 #299105

• LifneiHashem
  • Gold Boarder
cordnoy wrote:

LifneiHashem wrote:
Day 89

Your right, should have stuck with cannibal videos...

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 05 Dec 2016 00:40 #299106

• cordnoy
LifneiHashem wrote on 05 Dec 2016 00:01:

cordnoy wrote:

LifneiHashem wrote:
Day 89

Your right, should have stuck with cannibal videos...

Personally, I enjoy hyena videos.

AsI an aside, how come I never see tigers on fight night?

Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 05 Dec 2016 14:14 #299142

• tzedekchaim
  • Current streak: 2239 days
  • Gold Boarder

Thanks for this info. Can I do this with iPad/safari?

I don't believe so. Unfortunately the tablets and phones don't give the customer the same level of control as a full fledged desktop (or chromebook in my case).

Another reason I like to use chrome is that when I am on someone else's computer I can log in to my chrome account and then browse with my web filter and settings. (it doesn't mean that the computer can access treif stuff, just that I can browse without having to have sketchy or inappropriate sites popping up. )
Last Edit: 05 Dec 2016 14:16 by tzedekchaim.

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 00:46 #299743

• LifneiHashem
  • Gold Boarder
Hello, it's been a little while but I just wanted to check in with a few updates:
1) spiders are far more interesting than hyenas. 
2) today is day 100. I vote to change 90 day chart to 100 days. It has a better ring to it. 

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 03:08 #299753

• cordnoy
LifneiHashem wrote on 13 Dec 2016 00:46:
Hello, it's been a little while but I just wanted to check in with a few updates:
1) spiders are far more interesting than hyenas. 
2) today is day 100. I vote to change 90 day chart to 100 days. It has a better ring to it. 

II beg to differ. Hyena/lion fights are captivating. Hyena/anything fights beat spider/beetle interactions.

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 03:27 #299759

• LifneiHashem
  • Gold Boarder
Female hyenas have an appendage similar to the male member making childbirth quite difficult. Both sexes do a dance with erections to greet each other.
I rest my case. Stick with spiders. 
Time to create page: 0.66 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes