Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: My log 5407 Views

Re: My log 13 Aug 2014 14:45 #237322

• MBJ
  • Platinum Boarder
I can definitely relate. I use lust and fantasy as an escape when real life is not what I wish it would be. But like cordnoy said, a big part of my recovery is not letting my mind wander to those places of wishes and fantasy. It my try, but to stay sober I have to reel that is as fast as I can. (Heehee, I have to reel it in, so I can be real in it. Ok, I am probably the only one who will find that even the slightest bit amusing.) Only when I live and love life as it is, am I happy and sober.
My Story
Only when we make our real lives sweeter than our fantasies will we reap the emotional rewards, the happiness of recovery. - AlexEliezer
Focus on making the right choices as they come up. - Skeptical
When I start to literally accept G-d's Will as guiding my life today, things start to change. - Dov

Re: My log 13 Aug 2014 18:39 #237329

• cordnoy
Instead of clickin' reply, click the quote button, which is directly on the right of the reply button.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: My log 13 Aug 2014 19:32 #237339

• StonerDan
  • Current streak: 370 days
  • Senior Boarder
  • Freedom is a choice
So, here's some news about my recovery.

Its day 2 of official going clean. I feel pretty good, calm. Had a very good music lesson today, was good with the fam even though the wife was angry.. Didn't let it phase me too much.

Somewhat concerned that I'll fall, but feeling calmly level-headed as well.

I'm committing to go to sleep early tonight, and have a fully functioning day tomorrow, while also giving myself down time, and me time. When I push myself too hard, I crash, get depressed and super-tired, and then I fall. So I'm really striving for balance here.
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
-George Orwell

Day By Day Is The Only Way.

Let Go Let GD

Re: My log 13 Aug 2014 19:34 #237340

• cordnoy
Don't think ahead of time; just at the moment in front of you.
that you have control over.

b'hatzlachah
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: My log 13 Aug 2014 20:05 #237343

• bigmoish
  • Platinum Boarder
Can I propose 2 dinim in thinking?
There's this kind of thinking:
StonerDan
I'm committing to go to sleep early tonight, and have a fully functioning day tomorrow, while also giving myself down time, and me time.

Whichis probably fine - nothing wrong with a schedule that makes sense for you and sticking to it, staying productive, etc.

Then there's this kind of thinking:
StonerDan
When I push myself too hard, I crash, get depressed and super-tired, and then I fall.

To which I echo cordnoy's comments. JDDI. (Just Don't Do It.)
Handbook | Skep's Tips
My threads:
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/236327-Bigmoish-tries-to-be-good
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/236329-Bigmoishs-path-to-tahara

"We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo
"Expectation is the mother of frustration" - gibbor120
"Today, damn it! Today!" - cordnoy
"Desiring is not a sin at all, but just a sign that you are not dead yet" - Dov
"We are our own worst observer" - eslaasos's therapist
WDHW!!!

Re: My log 13 Aug 2014 21:04 #237347

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
KUTGW!!

I remember when I was new to GYE (sometimes I still feel like I am) I was also very into how I felt about recovery. It took quite some time for my friends here to knock into my stubborn head that recovery means not lusting because I can't, no matter how I may feel about it at the moment, it is death for me to start lusting.

I spoke to Dov last last night (a friend of the forum who should be back sooner than later according to what he said yesterday) and he put down the facts so straight. I simply cannot afford to start the terrible process, my life becomes a complete mess when I do.

I need to stay clean now whether I feel like it or not!

Hey, thanks for the reminder bro!!

The other point is an awesome mindset change, we call it One Day at a Time. That means that there is no reason to worry about tomorrow because I can't change tomorrow. I need to live in the moment, embrace what I have now, and deal with that as it is. That includes not having expectations of how things will work out, like if I will be able to go to sleep early, because that's not entirely in my control. I need to do my best to get to sleep early because it does affect my thought process, but I am not always in control of if I will be able to sleep as much as I think I need.

There's so much to learn here, so keep on coming back!!

BTW, have you opened up to anyone in real life?
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov

Re: My log 13 Aug 2014 21:06 #237348

• StonerDan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Freedom is a choice
Update: Installed eblaster with the records going to my wife's email that I dont have access to, and its so far helped me already once.

BigMoish just to clarify, are you saying I shouldn't think about all that? Surely I should be aware of those potential problems, triggers, patterns?
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
-George Orwell

Let Go Let GD

Re: My log 13 Aug 2014 21:36 #237351

• bigmoish
  • Platinum Boarder
SD, you are really doing great.

At this point, I must express my profound ignorance in what "works" and "doesn't work."
I think Pidaini really captured a lot of what I was trying to say.
Additionally, I feel that often, when I try to "figure out" what triggers me, I am reminded of the enjoyment there is in looking where I'm not supposed to. Or something. I'm not even sure myself, but I'm sure you'll see what works for you, and adapt (or stick with) your strategy accordingly.

Continued Hatzlocha
Handbook | Skep's Tips
My threads:
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/236327-Bigmoish-tries-to-be-good
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/236329-Bigmoishs-path-to-tahara

WDHW!!!

Re: My log 13 Aug 2014 21:42 #237352

• StonerDan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Freedom is a choice
Pidaini wrote:
KUTGW!!

I need to stay clean now whether I feel like it or not!

BTW, have you opened up to anyone in real life?
-George Orwell

Let Go Let GD

Re: My log 13 Aug 2014 21:43 #237353

• StonerDan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Freedom is a choice
I have opened up to my wife, she is aware and supportive Thank Gd
-George Orwell

Let Go Let GD

Re: My log 13 Aug 2014 23:46 #237370

• MBJ
  • Platinum Boarder
It is wonderful that your wife is so supportive. I pray you have much luck. I have heard from people, including Dovid Chaim's wife, that having your wife be your shomer is not a good thing. Just keep that in mind.
My Story
Only when we make our real lives sweeter than our fantasies will we reap the emotional rewards, the happiness of recovery. - AlexEliezer
Focus on making the right choices as they come up. - Skeptical
When I start to literally accept G-d's Will as guiding my life today, things start to change. - Dov

Re: My log 14 Aug 2014 01:07 #237380

• lavi
  • Platinum Boarder
hi sd,
thanks for the chat yesterday.
i'm happy to hear that you found your way around already.
looking forward to hear more from you
i love you all

Re: My log 14 Aug 2014 09:24 #237400

• StonerDan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Freedom is a choice
thanks awesome people

Hey whats prob with wife being shomer? Should I get someone else to be seeing my site visits?

Day 3 good. It's amazing how many temptations there can be daily.

Today working on putting meaning and productiveness in my day.

A Chiddush about taking one day at a time I'm sure many already know:

When One focuses just on the day at hand

(See Reb Nachman in Likutei Maharan Tinyana Ayin Reish Beis [yes, not reish ayin beis] hebrewbooks.org/pagefeed/hebrewbooks_org_19055_285.pdf#xml=http://hebrewbooks.org/hilite.aspx?pgnum=285&hilite=6db53188-2f4d-4f14-81e9-c6cb92f13739&toolbar=1&navpanes=0&statusbar=0&view=FitH )

ones whole willpower and mental attention gets focused onto the present, instead of being spread out over a huge span of time. So firstly, it's simple, that power condensed to a single location is far more effective. Secondly, we get tricked into not being in the present at all by including too much in our plans! Third, we have no idea what will arise, so planning in too much detail to it, is simply impossible.

Of course this has to somehow be balanced with the important tool of having goals. Maybe there should be a thread about the relationship between 'one day at a time' and goals.

Much love to all

PS: I changed my anonymous email address, anyone who had my previous and want my new one, or anyone who wants my new one please let me know
-George Orwell

Let Go Let GD
Last Edit: 14 Aug 2014 12:16 by StonerDan. Reason: didn't want 2 posts for something small

Re: My log 14 Aug 2014 15:11 #237411

• lavi
  • Platinum Boarder
yeah sd,
there is a thread which we discussed the two different advantages, the one day approach and the goal approach, just i'm not sure exactly where it is.

Personally i am very much goal orientated, and precisely thinking about my future is a major incentive for me.
but most of our friends here differ.
they feel it is too much of a pressure and can end up backfiring.
what interests me is if someone can relate to the switching of both approaches, that is that the goal is the ambition, and the method is the day by day.
i love you all

Re: My log 14 Aug 2014 17:45 #237421

• bigmoish
  • Platinum Boarder
That's a beautiful vort, SD.

I don't really understand the first point, being that I don't know how will power works and all, but the next two aspects definitely sum up my feelings why not to plan too much.

Regarding the "wife as shomeres" subject, I can understand that most wives would probably not be as accepting/understanding of a slip or fall as we would like them to be. This may cause them unnecessary pain and put a greater strain on your mariage. Of course, we like to hope we will never have a fall, but we ARE here for a reason, right? I, too, would say that there are probably better choices of accountability partners, but every case is different, so you have to know yourself.

Keep shteiging
Handbook | Skep's Tips
My threads:

WDHW!!!
Last Edit: 14 Aug 2014 17:50 by bigmoish.
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes