Welcome, Guest

My 90-Day Journey
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: My 90-Day Journey 25041 Views

Re: My 90-Day Journey 25 Feb 2015 18:46 #249410

• yiraishamaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Perhaps we can say a la cordnoy that the first and foremost idea is connecting to the ultimate power.-Hashem- then secondly do our hishtadlus of analyzing and refining our made to measure program. The hishtadlus should be serious but yet with a chilled overall attitude.
sort of live and let G-d

Re: My 90-Day Journey 26 Feb 2015 05:09 #249451

• cordnoy
I was only able to do that in the reverse order.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: My 90-Day Journey 26 Feb 2015 12:13 #249467

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah, I'm beginning to see my signature quote as not quite in line with how I should be thinking about this.

Okay, then...contest time

Which quote from the Talmud would you use?
0% Tolerance and 100% Self-Forgiveness.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.

Re: My 90-Day Journey 26 Feb 2015 14:55 #249479

• bigmoish
  • Platinum Boarder
!!!נורא בי עמרם
Handbook | Skep's Tips
My threads:
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/236327-Bigmoish-tries-to-be-good
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/236329-Bigmoishs-path-to-tahara

"We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo
"Expectation is the mother of frustration" - gibbor120
"Today, damn it! Today!" - cordnoy
"Desiring is not a sin at all, but just a sign that you are not dead yet" - Dov
"We are our own worst observer" - eslaasos's therapist
WDHW!!!

Re: My 90-Day Journey 26 Feb 2015 20:20 #249523

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Bigmoish, I like the quotes in your signature a lot! Maybe I should find some gems from the forums here too. Great ideas.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.

Re: My 90-Day Journey 01 Mar 2015 15:01 #249633

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm four days clean, and have stemmed the tide of some pretty potent urges over the last week. So I'm feeling a little more confident, or put better, a little less uncertain about my ability to stay clean. But, I don't want to to get too confident: one day at a time.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.

Re: My 90-Day Journey 01 Mar 2015 15:44 #249636

• yiraishamaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for sharing

KUTGW - you are a Steady Eddie

If you can do 4 days you can certainly pass the next moments nisayon

Re: My 90-Day Journey 01 Mar 2015 15:50 #249637

• cordnoy
A conversation from the past.
I enjoyed.
Howbout you?

TalmidChaim wrote:
Okay. I fell on Wednesday, then Thursday again. It's a familiar pattern: a set-back, then dealing with the resultant pessimism. It relates, I'm sure, to my OCD, perfectionism, and penchant for polarized, absolutist thinking. I suffer from that "all or nothing" perception.

What's more, I feel that my abstinence leaves me with a wellspring of desire that has to be, for lack of a better word, exorcised from body (read: removed through self-gratification). In other words, my thinking is: "Well, I fell... Might as well just jettison all of this pent-up sexual frustration and...BINGE on lust!"

So today's mission: stem the tide. Don't let a two-day lapse become a three-day binge.

I realize that this destructive binge capitulation is a sort of a paradigm, a way of thinking, for addicts. And I also realize that it's a chronic misstep for me, one that's responsible for countless hours wasted on horrible self-gratification. If I characterize my addictive behavior in units of time, I have a habit of turning a few hours of lust into days of dreadful self degradation (or, and I shutter to write this: neshama degradation).

So, that's my mission for today. With HaShem's help, and your support, I hope I could do it!

cordnoy wrote:
"Hope" is not a plan....it's a prayer of sorts, but not even that.

"Neshma degradation" is a topic that has been bantered around here many times. It is similar to the fear of Gehinnom, the seriousness of the aveirah, etc.

Many of us here know that.
We understand the "chomer ha-inyan."
Some can deliver a discourse on the BAD WORD REMOVEDah of the baal haterumos l'gabei peru urvu and the Rashba in the sugya of moch, or how the Pnei Yehoshua and the Dibros Moshe explain the sugya.

Where does that get us?

As Dov is want to say, "Back to the bathroom floor."

so, while it is true that we are degrading our neshamah (and I'm not one to say that with this nisayon, when we pass it, our neshamah is elevated to even loftier levels), that will not be the deterrent....to many of us at least.

b'hatzlachah

TalmidChaim wrote:
Thanks, Cordnoy. I understand some of what you're saying, and it certainly echoes a lot of the sentiments I've read in the daily emails as well, or at least, I think. But I am still confused about a lot of the thought I'm encountering here on the forums. A lot of it seems contradictory (probably just a function of everyone sharing their own advice).

I'm new to the recovery world, and have a tremendous amount to learn, but from what I understand, the underlying theme is that we have to essentially wrest the inclination to control and fight this thing from our psyches. That is, we have to accept that it's not within our power, as addicts, to rein in our problem; that only through giving ourselves entirely to HaShem, and effacing our egos, will we be able to live cleanly.

Of course, raising fences and taking action is a prerequisite for success here on our end of the battlefield, but in terms of how we envision the outcome of this war, why is hope bad?

In my posts here, I'm purposefully avoiding language that implies control, micro-management and a general sense that I can beat this thing on my own. At least, that's the vibe I'm getting from a lot of the people who've worked the SA program.

I might be over-thinking things, or maybe even missing some fundamental points entirely, but there's a lot of ambiguity in terms of how to approach recovery.

As for the whole hashkafah of focusing on hurting our souls, I agree that it, alone, has been unsuccessful. So, in your opinion, even reminding myself about that is counter-productive?

Thanks again for helping out this perplexed freshman!

cordnoy wrote:
You write so eloquently and clear and concise.

I am a freshman as well.

I am merely voicin' my opinion; it holds no more weight than anyone else's....probably much less.

I am the anti hope fellow on this site, and people have caught on. It is not a bad thing to hope. My stress is that action is required. Hopin' that things will be different, for we hope that it will, will not get us anywhere.

Your second paragraph is an excellent one. It should be required reading for SA members and groups (which I am a proud member of). I, however, have not gotten there yet. Yes, I know that I cannot recover on my own. I know that I will be addicted to lust for the rest of my life. I know that if I allow those thoughts to fester in me, I will eventually get a hold of my ultimate lust desire, and therefore I know that I cannot fall into that trap. All fantasies (with wife included) are shut out. There is no place for them inside of this lust-festered brain and organ of mine.

Did I give myself entirely to Hashem? I don't think so.
Did I efface my ego? Perhaps...partly...maybe.
Am I livin' cleanly? Yes...for right now....and frankly my dear, that is all that counts.

b'hatzlachah

Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

Re: My 90-Day Journey 01 Mar 2015 16:09 #249641

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow, Cordnoy! That was me? Haha.

I'm not sure if my understanding of things has improved all that much, but I think I get your point (probably, maybe). I'm finding that a lot of the understanding of this process is gained only through doing, and failing, and getting up again. I'm definitely over-thinking the "Letting go, and letting G-d," part. It's going to be one of those paradoxes that could only be partly fathomed, if at all. I'll just have to accept the reality of being a walking paradox.

I'm also finding that the key to some of this, at least for me, is managing my enthusiasm. I know that sounds depressive, but it's meant more in terms of just mellowing out with things a little. I used to get myself into such an emotionally charged state when I got past the 3-day hurdle, that I think I made myself more susceptible to temptation. Does anyone know what I mean? When I don't calibrate my emotional state down a little, I just wind up stepping in it again, and again.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.

Re: My 90-Day Journey 02 Mar 2015 00:52 #249681

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Glad to see a real tzadik like yourself, 9494, shares my struggle. It's weird to think that being so full of optimism and positivity could bring us down, but it definitely has been a pattern with my recovery. "Cheer down," maybe? (That's an obscure George Harrison song I think.)

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.
Last Edit: 02 Mar 2015 02:52 by TalmidChaim.

Re: My 90-Day Journey 02 Mar 2015 02:38 #249686

• wants2succeed
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Senior Boarder
Very interesting! A lot of times when I get excited, I forget my "reserve" and some of my personality comes out and then I feel "cool" that my real personality came out and no one thought that I came across as a fool or stupid or an idiot (at least, thats what I think! ) I know that triggers for me are situations where I feel "cool" cause then I just desperately want it more and if I dont get it then I feel empty and that makes me want to go to p***.

But I dont think that is what you meant....

Re: My 90-Day Journey 02 Mar 2015 02:55 #249689

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
I think we all have different things that make us vulnerable, and they're as varied as our personalities are different. But there are definitely commonalities between them all, maybe the heightened emotional state.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.

Re: My 90-Day Journey 04 Mar 2015 16:54 #249945

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Checking in/checking up... I'm trying hard to stay focused and clean, despite some recent falls. Also -- and, yes, this is me procrastinating -- I'm planning on joining one of the phone conferences.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.

Re: My 90-Day Journey 04 Mar 2015 17:02 #249947

• cordnoy
TalmidChaim wrote:
Checking in/checking up... I'm trying hard to stay focused and clean, despite some recent falls. Also -- and, yes, this is me procrastinating -- I'm planning on joining one of the phone conferences.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya' tomorrow!

Re: My 90-Day Journey 04 Mar 2015 19:36 #249954

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Tomorrow is definitely my mistress

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes