Welcome, Guest

1st time - my story
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: 1st time - my story 14250 Views

Re: 1st time - my story 07 Sep 2011 20:25 #118033

• Yossi.L.
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Now that's unfortunate. I know some people that are addicts and i am scared that they will never change. I feel that if they are not forced to change they never will. That is very sad. On the other hand maybe without being forced they still will change as did you. I'm going to pray for them.
Last Edit: by .

Re: 1st time - my story 07 Sep 2011 20:35 #118040

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
dear yossi - i believe for a person to change, they have to have a REASON to change.and for an addict like me, it's gotta be a very strong reason.and there has to be the realization that i am doing something wrong (very hard). and there has to be the opportunity for change. and once you get through all that, and you have decided to change, then comes the pain of withdrawal. to put it mildly, we addicts have a tough road ahead of us.i hope our Creator is merciful to us.

Re: 1st time - my story 07 Sep 2011 20:38 #118043

• Yossi.L.
  • Platinum Boarder
These people i know dont feel like they have a strong reason to change although their lives are in shambles. They dont believe that release from the addiction will give them a better life. Is there any way to help these people through an action that i do, or can they only come to to recovery on their own?

Re: 1st time - my story 08 Sep 2011 12:31 #118110

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
yossi - you will have more than one answer to this question - use whichever one works.everyone is different based on his/her upbringing and therefore needs to be treated in a different way.
my answer - they MIGHT realize one day that they want to change, but chances are they won't. a person doesn't release himself from jail.and they are most likely in denial, big time.dov is right - they have to make a decision on their own - but if you're a friend, you have to ge them to want to make the change on their own.they won't listen to YOU, just because you're a friend.how to do this? gently, very gently.these people are probably in pain, and to yell or scream just aint gonna work.do it with love, show them you care.that is the whole basis for ALL 12 step meetings.ever go to one? everyone there loves you, and is rooting for you, without expecting anything in return.as the beatles once said, 'all you need is love' wel, they were partly right, you do need more than just love.but it's a good starting point.the caring that people showed me here on GYE was THE ingredient, above all else, that got me going on the road to recovery. hatzlacha!

Re: 1st time - my story 08 Sep 2011 14:38 #118117

• Dov
  • Administrator
Yossi.L. wrote on 07 Sep 2011 20:38:

These people i know dont feel like they have a strong reason to change although their lives are in shambles. They dont believe that release from the addiction will give them a better life. Is there any way to help these people through an action that i do, or can they only come to to recovery on their own?
OK, so I am getting into a conversation that's not mine again, but...

Personally, I find this kind of talk toxic. Before labeling anybody else 'an addict' or wondering about how unmanageable their lives are, I suggest you only look at yourself , and do something about your own mess. My wife and I have noticed that we have  a natural tendency to talk about the troubles of other couples when we are not really getting along that well....hmmm...

If you are not really in trouble yourself, Yossi, then you will never really relate to them, anyway - and if you are in trouble (an addict), then you will never be able to be any real help to them until your side of the street is cleaned up. It's not mainly about giving people information or inspiration - but about sharing real experience, strength, and hope in our good recovery with each other. When we see that it really works, then we use it. But just being shown that something is right or true, does very little if anything at all. I have never, ever seen anyone make real, long-lasting change because of getting "inspired" by another person.

So, "obviously you cannot transmit something you haven't got." (end of the book, AA).

Being so imperfect myself, all I have for you is a suggestion to focus 100% on getting fixed.

Love,

Dov 
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: 1st time - my story 08 Sep 2011 20:59 #118202

• Yossi.L.
  • Platinum Boarder
Dov,

In all honesty......when I read what you said initially my defense mechanism when up and I was looking for something wrong in your words so as to show you were wrong. But I didn't find it. After calming down and reading what you said for the 4th time Your words penetrated into my heart very deeply. Thinking about what you just said I realized that I to have the tendency to dwell on other people's problems so as not to deal with my own issues all the time. It's very helpful that you interjected in to this conversation. Thank you.

Yossi

Re: 1st time - my story 08 Sep 2011 21:30 #118216

• Dov
  • Administrator
Hatzlocha with moving on in the best direction for you now. Getting better may be simple, but it sure is not easy, as you are discovering, yourself.

As far as thanking me for wanting to help, it's easy for me! I love every person who is an addict (or really having bad lust problems and wants to get out from under them). We are like a weird bunch of brothers.
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: 1st time - my story 09 Sep 2011 14:18 #118271

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
quote by dov : 'I have never, ever seen anyone make real, long-lasting change because of getting "inspired" by another person.'

i dont know how to do a quote yet.

dov - you know i am the person who always does the things that you never saw.so, i will tell you that i was inspired by the following people in my quest for refuah (in no particular order) : my friend in memphis, you, r' guard for what he is doing here, and anybody and everybody on this forum who even does one little bit of recovery.they all inspire me.and that's what r' guard wants - he wants others to be inspired by the work that people do here.

Re: 1st time - my story 09 Sep 2011 14:29 #118275

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
jack wrote on 09 Sep 2011 14:18:

i dont know how to do a quote yet.

Just click qote next to the persons post.

or type something new, highlight it, and click the "insert quote" button.

Anyway, I don't think Dov meant that someone else can't be the catalyst for you to change.  Only that ultimately, the desire to change must come from within AND you have to do the work.  Being inspired doen't do anything per se.  It's what you do yourself that brings the change.  We all hear nice mussar shmuzen and are nisorrer.  Being moved, even crying, does nothing, if we do nothing about it.
Last Edit: 09 Sep 2011 14:37 by .

Re: 1st time - my story 09 Sep 2011 15:40 #118299

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
i think then we are all saying the same thing.the work was definitely mine - my friend in memphis is not the one who had wild fits of withdrawal symptoms, he just listened on the phone while i cried, screamed and tore my hair out from the pain of withdrawal after 38 years of acting out and suddenly stopping.but without him on the other end of that phone, without that soothing southern accent of his, i could have NEVER, NEVER have done it. makes sense?
Last Edit: 09 Sep 2011 15:43 by .

Re: 1st time - my story 09 Sep 2011 16:39 #118313

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Perfect sense jack, KOT and have a good shabbos!

Re: 1st time - my story 09 Sep 2011 17:12 #118327

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
call me melodramatic if you want, or sentimental, or just mental, but when you said that to me -' KOT and have a good shabbos,'
it will give me strenght for the rest of the day.tomorrow? i'll need another dose.when will it end? when will i no longer need another dose, and another dose, etc.? i'll let you know when and if it happens!

Re: 1st time - my story 09 Sep 2011 17:17 #118328

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Life is not for the faint of heart ~author unknown (out of zemmy's playbook).  It's hard work.  "adam leamal yulad" We keep working til we are 120 or else we die (even if we are still technically walking around).  Just don't look too far down the road.  It's foggy and raning.  Just look at the road right in front of you.

Be well my friend!

Re: 1st time - my story 09 Sep 2011 17:28 #118330

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
thank you.and one more thing - listen to dov - er vays vot er redt.

Re: 1st time - my story 09 Sep 2011 19:23 #118342

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I found this in a chizuk email quoting dov

I firmly maintain that no one is able to tell anyone else if they are an addict or not: the entire meaning of the 1st step is that a person comes to that conclusion themselves, without any outside assistance. That is the only way they know it's really the truth and that they will never be able to run from it. If the facts are to make any difference at all for change in living, they need to really be known by the person. That only happens in the heart (which is also why "Rachmono liba bo'I"). Thankfully, GYE leaves the truth about us, up to us.
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes