Welcome, Guest

Yaakov's Ladder
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Yaakov's Ladder 185167 Views

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 02 Aug 2013 02:19 #214673

• chachaman
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Yankel, catching up on your thread has given me a lot of chizzuk.

For me, I find that it's not just one specific thing, it's just the internet, period, which is awful.

This past month, away from (almost) all internet was amazing. No worrying about Facebook, eBay, GYE, wasting time, etc.

Now that I'm back home, there aren't people back home that I can hang out with, so it's more of a struggle to not use the internet.

Oh well, KOT! Congratulations on your journey!

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 02 Aug 2013 05:25 #214690

• inastruggle
  • Current streak: 25 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • the picture is shimshon hagibor. not st. mary....
Pidaini wrote:
As part of OINK and a good friend of Nitzotz, I feel the need to heed to his wise words.

Gratitude- right now the feeling of gratitude I have is something that I have never felt before. As mentioned above I had a day this week. I know myself, and I know that there has never been a day like that that has passed without a fall. Yet this time, because I have been really trying to do things the way Hashem wants it, Hashem has showed me that he is there for me (and sent the perfect shaliach, TZ). [please excuse the tears, they are tears of gratitude] the feeling can not be out into words, the Hashem that I have been evading so long took my hands, swooped me up, hugged me, and told me that He is always with me. It is joy, it is happiness, and all that coming straight from Him, for once I really feel Oh MY GOD!!!

WOW! amazing.

gibbor120 wrote:
Good Stuff! I just realized, maybe that's why we have a "Thank You" button and not a "Like" button. "Like" - is "ME" focused, "I" like. "Thank YOU" is gratitude, which is "other" focused. Thank "YOU". I am indebted to "YOU".

Thank YOU for sharing .

That was a good vort. I liked it.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 02 Aug 2013 05:51 #214695

• MendelZ
  • Gold Boarder
gibbor120, excellent fabulous idea. I love it (can't help myself - I do really love it. Oh well) and thank YOU!
אלא יש לו לייחד כל מעשיו לשמו הגדול לבד, ולא ישתף עמו דבר אחר
That's the goal. The key to everything. Working on it, bs"d.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 02 Aug 2013 15:41 #214735

im ginving you a hanky fr your tears

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 02 Aug 2013 16:41 #214739

speaking about gratitude let me tell you a story....

once upon a time, not so long ago and not so far away, there was someone named avi/nitzotz/grandpa/turtlemonkey who joined GYE but hadnt formed any real relationships. one day he send a 'random' PM to someone named pidiani. he had done such things before, saw someone online and PMed a hi. Pidiani replied a number of times, got avi to join the chat, encouraged him to get in touch with others and told some others (such as 'der heiliger', otherwise known as lizensk) to contact avi. from this avi got the courage to meet some of the others face to face, people such as Dr. TZ who specializes in cranial-rectal surgery on turtlemonkeys. one of the thoughts i had recently was that if i would have gotten sober my first time around i never would have met these amazing people.
i used to look back all the time saying "oh no! what have i done! Hashem help me erase the past." and i never heard a response.
finally i started looking forward saying "Hashem i'm leaving the past to you and i'm forgetting all about it. help me have a good future. help me from here and on be the person You want me to be." and that's where i realized Hashem had been waiting to help me all along

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 02 Aug 2013 16:56 #214742

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
WOW, you should become a storyteller!!!

I must say OINK would not have been complete without the monkey, I mean not so much the monkey, more the tongue
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 02 Aug 2013 17:57 #214761

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
Just missed it

untitledpicture.png
Last Edit: 02 Aug 2013 17:57 by Pidaini.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 02 Aug 2013 18:28 #214773

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
nitzotzeloki wrote:
one of the thoughts i had recently was that if i would have gotten sober my first time around i never would have met these amazing people.

There is a famous quote in the big book to that effect. Something like "I needed each and every drink to get where I am today". The realization that all the hardship is a necessary part of our growth process.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 02 Aug 2013 20:33 #214810

• tryingtoshteig
  • Current streak: 115 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • תן חיוך, הכל לטובה
Pidaini wrote:
Just missed it

untitledpicture.png

no problem
capture.JPG
"ויעזור ויגן ויושיע לכל החוסים בו ונאמר אמן" -- ArtScroll Gabbai's Handbook

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 03 Aug 2013 22:29 #214849

• lizhensk
  • Platinum Boarder
  • You never heard of Rebbes making sholom?
gibbor120 wrote:
nitzotzeloki wrote:
one of the thoughts i had recently was that if i would have gotten sober my first time around i never would have met these amazing people.

There is a famous quote in the big book to that effect. Something like "I needed each and every drink to get where I am today". The realization that all the hardship is a necessary part of our growth process.

We also know that when someone does teshuva m'ahava, all his aveiros turn into zechusim. I always wondered how that can be, until i was becoming more chassidish and the chassidishe outlook is hechsher mitzvah k'mitzva, the preparation for a mitzvah, is a mitzvah in its own right. So too here (L'aniyas daati, though im sure some great rebbe has said this) if someone does teshuva, then all his aveiros become a hechsher mitzvah toward the mitzvah of teshuva, and therefore turn into zechusim.
Life is Like a Bicycle: If its easy, you're going downhill
Hashem, If I can't have what I want, then please teach me to want what I have -Unknown (and if u know who it was please inform me)
(1+2)x4=3
There is NOTHING wrong with feeling pain -My Sponsor
I will not act out today, I will tomorrow. Maybe when I get to tomorrow, it will again be 'today'

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 04 Aug 2013 01:00 #214856

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
I had a shtikel thought this past Shabbos,

One of my big problems is that I love to be in control (is it that way by everyone?).

I remember, back when my daughter was really colicky and would scream for hours on end, and nothing we did would get her quiet, and I got really frustrated. My wife looked at me like "what is your issue?". and I told her "I'm the one who fixes everything whenever it's broke (by my parents, inlaws, grandmother, they call me before hiring someone), and the fact that there is nothing I can do drives me insane".

Looking back, I am realizing that that is the big lifestyle change that I am making, and with that came this.

We are always talking about "being powerless and life has become unmanagable", it didn't fit quite right with me, my life hadn't really become unmanagable, nobody had found out, it wasn't a big bother to hide it (it is much harder to hide my recovery than when I was jerking away).

So today I thought, the manager of the company is the one that runs everything, he tells people what to do and when they need to have it done, he MANAGES the company, he has POWER over the compnay.

I need to remind myself over and over that life is UNMANAGABLE, I am not the one that manages it, I don't/can't control it. I am POWERLESS over life.

Therefore, I need to learn to deal with what is given to me, and know that it is being given by the most loving creater and "manager".

A gutte voch

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 07 Aug 2013 00:25 #215247

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Nice thought! Control issues are very common among us. Learning to let go and trust tatty, abba, dad is what it'a all about. Wife and kids "help" us realize that we are not the ones in control

Thanks!

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 07 Aug 2013 15:35 #215314

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
It totally slipped my mind

yesterday I reached Level 4 of my online-game free chart!!

so that's the good news, on the other chart....well...it's been all right, just feeling a bit down, and tired.

but hey, besides for that life is GREAT!!

so I would just like to scream

THANK YOU HASHEM!!!!!

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 07 Aug 2013 18:23 #215321

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Phantasmagoric! Supercalafragalistic!
kUtGw
thanks for sharing
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 07 Aug 2013 23:44 #215375

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
Got it!!

999.png
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes