Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Elul 1729 Views

Elul 20 Sep 2011 17:40 #119632

Every year during the month of Elul I feel like It's easier to overcome my desires for lust and masturbation. Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur follow and I really think I'm gonna stop for good...forever!. Succos passes and then a few weeks later I'm usually back to where I began....How do I know my 47 days of not lusting will continue for a lifetime. How can I make sure of that?? Its a scary to think you've come so far to know that eventually my streak will be over and Ill go back to my old ways (CHAS V"SHALOM)........
Last Edit: by .

Re: Elul 20 Sep 2011 17:58 #119635

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
EzraC90876 wrote on 20 Sep 2011 17:40:

Every year during the month of Elul I feel like It's easier to overcome my desires for lust and masturbation. Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur follow and I really think I'm gonna stop for good...forever!. Succos passes and then a few weeks later I'm usually back to where I began....How do I know my 47 days of not lusting will continue for a lifetime. How can I make sure of that?? Its a scary to think you've come so far to know that eventually my streak will be over and Ill go back to my old ways (CHAS V"SHALOM)........

If we don't take steps to change ourselves internally, than the likelihood is that it probably will continue this way for the rest of our lives, or at least until we get a very rude awakening call.  What are you doing to make this year different?  Have you read GYE in a nutshell and do you know where you are holding?  Have you read the GYE handbook and attitude books?  Have you signed up for an accountability partner and the chizzuk emails?  Assuming the internet is part of your problem, have you gotten a filter and accountability software?  Have you taken steps to put a filter on your mind?  have you joined one of the 12-step calls?

As Reb Shimshom Pinkus says, our Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur are only worth what we invest in them through Elul.  If you take the steps to answer these questions now, you will be on track to make this year different from prior years.  It takes a lot of hard work.  Stick around and post about your issues and with Hashem's help you'll be able to make this year different.

Ksiva Vchasima Tova and this year should be different in a good way for you.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 05:23 #119728

• 1daat
  • Current streak: 126 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome Ezra,  what works for me is just to deal with today.  As they say, one day at a time.  Who knows, may today will be the rest of my life.

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 16:19 #119773

• Dov
  • Administrator
I hope and pray that you do not spend even one second this Rosh haShanah asking for anything for the rest of the year. In fact, I hope you do not even ask for anything for the next day. Consider it hachono, and ossur. (And that is the same every day of the year, no difference on R"H.)

If you are a guy who keeps falling on his tuchess as you described, then we are certainly friends! And I can tell you that our part even on Rosh haShana and Yom Kippur has nothing to do with davening for the rest of the year. Doing that is poison, poison, poison for a person like me.

Our avodah is to daven precisely for the things it says in the machzor: To accept Hashem as Melech right now, to do teshuvah right now, to commit ourselves to Hashem and His holy people and to our lot in life right now. That is, for today. All He really wants is for us to love Him and serve Him today. He wants no promises, asks for no promises for tomorrow. Hayom, period.

Ayyy, so you ask what about the entire idea of davening for good stuff this entire coming year? The answer is simple:

He is the one who gives us a good year. Him. Not you and not your tefillos. For you and me are not G-d (last time we checked). He will do right by us the rest of this year, as He sees fit. He asks us to live right in today, that's all. He makes it that this day affects the rest of our year. But all that is His business, not ours.

This, to me, is the single most important difference between me having yet another R"H/Y"K/Succos that you describe (that plotzes), and what I have been getting from Him for the past few years (stuff that 'sticks'). I do my part, and He does His, and I do not confuse the two any more, be"H. That is huge for me. (And it comes from steps 3, and 7.)

It is a complete 180 for me, be"H. For all I used to know was begging to help me stay clean forever, and to overcome this forever, and to reach this madreigah more and more forever....all sick, sick....and didn't work (as you described so well).

He has much better for you, trust me.

Listen to 1daat.

Hatzlocha!!
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: 21 Sep 2011 16:29 by .

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 17:29 #119794

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
The gr"a (I think) as well as some others say that one should not daven for themselves on R"H and Y"K. I know some say you could/should, but even that is supposed to be lmaancha elokim chayim.

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 17:35 #119800

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1199 days
  • Platinum Boarder
There is also the inyan of "Bsoch Ami Anoichi Yosheves", that one should include himself with a tzibbur and not stand out on his own, lest he be judged alone Ch"V....

And I can't think of a better Tzibbur to be a part of than this one.
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 18:15 #119808

• bardichev
i dont know what machzorim u guys have

my machzor is full of prayers for Hashems glory to be felt in every corner of the universe

thats all folks

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 18:24 #119811

• Dov
  • Administrator
Machzor? Doesn't it say ein machzor lirei'av?

;D
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 18:25 #119813

• bardichev
machzoer shmachzor

have a sweet new year!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 18:26 #119814

• bardichev
dov wrote on 21 Sep 2011 18:24:

Machzor? Doesn't it say ein machzor lirei'av?

;D

dov you are really very funny

my whole office wants to know why i am laughing!!

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 18:30 #119820

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
bardichev wrote on 21 Sep 2011 18:26:

my whole office wants to know why i am laughing!!

November 1, 2005 7:41 AM PST

Ford squeezes an office into a truck
By Dawn Kawamoto
Staff Writer, CNET News

Ford Motor unveiled a mobile office designed for the new F-Series truck that includes a touch-screen computer, printer, wireless broadband access and Global Positioning System.
Water cooler not included.

Ford, which introduced its mobile office Tuesday at this week's Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas, is targeting general contractors with its latest accessories. The mobile system is designed to let contractors bid on jobs, order parts and materials, and process payments from their trucks.

"F-Series is all about getting the job done, and this new mobile office technology will fit our truck owners' needs to be on the go as their business demands," Marty Collins, Ford general marketing manager, said in a statement.

The mobile office system is expected to become a dealer-installed accessory in 2006.

Ford teamed up with Stargate Mobile, Microsoft and California Custom Sport Trucks to provide the lightweight, touch-screen slate computer, which is mounted on the transmission tunnel inside the truck. The computer rests inside a cradle and is powered by the vehicle's battery. The computer also features a touch-screen that is viewable in bright sunlight and runs on Microsoft's Windows XP Professional.

The office system uses a broadband wireless cellular card to keep the computer online continuously and has the ability to connect with a digital camera to transfer images to customers.

Ford's mobile office is the latest move by car manufactures to extend technology into vehicles. Other efforts include integrating Apple Computer's iPod digital audio player into car stereos and voice-activated technology for use inside vehicles.

Wow and to think that Bards got a whole staff in the truck with him.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 18:36 #119823

• Dov
  • Administrator
In respect to all the people here who I love so much, I will not make any comments on the choice of the term "F-Series".

None at all.

Nyet, nadda, efess.

:

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 18:40 #119825

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
ולך דומיה תהלה

fleegen?
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 18:42 #119826

• bardichev

i thought that had its own thread in the bb forum

trying to make your office lafff
Last Edit: 21 Sep 2011 19:02 by .

Re: Elul 21 Sep 2011 18:48 #119829

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
who woulda thunk that some of the funniest jokes are in the elul thread?
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes