Welcome, Guest

Yossi's Journey
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Yossi's Journey 9826 Views

Re: Yossi's Journey 03 Oct 2011 21:03 #120914

• Yossi.L.
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Platinum Boarder
It's all roted in my losing sight of my powerlessness and not putting up the proper gedarim.
Last Edit: by .

Re: Yossi's Journey 06 Oct 2011 19:15 #121327

• Yossi.L.
  • Platinum Boarder
I have just reached my 7th day clean(when i say '7th' day rather then '1 week' it makes it feel longer). I feel really good about my cleanliness now. I went through a couple of days that in the past wouldve been stressful and led me to inevitably fall, but in the present, i handled it with ease. It used to be that any "responbility" that required of me something was quite stressful. It is quite clear to me that my addiction is the most daunting and prevailing issue that lies within me. It is the route by which i am discovering my inner essence. "Yossi's journey" how fitting a title; my journey to discover myself.

Re: Yossi's Journey 06 Oct 2011 19:22 #121333

• Yossi.L.
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm just wondering; I was recently thinking about the first thing that started my sexual addiction. And i remembered that it was a radio show by O&A yimach shemum. Did anybody have a similar experience? If yes; does the knowledge of where it started have any bearings on the recovery, or help you in any way?

Re: Yossi's Journey 06 Oct 2011 19:33 #121337

• Yossi.L.
  • Platinum Boarder
I read the most beautiful,powerful, vort of the new year from Rabbi Jonathan Sacks and I'd like to share it with everyone: It says in the famous Shir Hamaalos Mimakim etc..."key imcha haselichos, Lman teevuray": But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be held in awe Who inspires deeper fear: One who rejects us, or One who refuses to reject us? One who rejects us makes no more demands on us. We go our seperate ways. But one who refuses to reject us, never losing faith in us, and refusing to let go- that is the one we fear, not because we fear him, but because ultimately we fear ourselves. We fear greatness. We fear the effort it demands. There are times we would rather be left alone. That is one of the sources of disbelief. It is easy to live in a universe that makes no demands on us. God's forgiveness makes demands on us, for god believes in us more then we believe in ourselves.

POWERFUL

Re: Yossi's Journey 06 Oct 2011 19:36 #121338

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I asked a similar question on my thread.  Didn't get too many responses.

www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=4337.msg120841#msg120841

Re: Yossi's Journey 06 Oct 2011 19:52 #121342

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Yossi, thanks for sharing that great insight from Rabbi Sacks, it's so true and it explains the posuk very well
thank you
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Yossi's Journey 06 Oct 2011 19:54 #121343

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
I think it is important to know the reasons that brought us here, that's the whole theory of sicko-therapy, no?, to make you understand what effect your past had on your future and try to undo the negative effects. That article you're quoting from, I read the whole thing, he rebuffs there the claim that it's not necessary. In the end he says:
"In conclusion, to be successful in overcoming addictions to sexual acting out, it is important to understand the psychological factors that can transform a "normal" yetzer hara into an addiction.17 Even more importantly, is the role such an understanding could play in prevention. When children are raised to be emotionally healthy they are spared from dealing with yetzer haras beyond the normal range. "
I agree 100%
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: Yossi's Journey 06 Oct 2011 20:07 #121346

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
OM, which article are you quoting?

Re: Yossi's Journey 06 Oct 2011 20:19 #121353

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
oh, I'm sorry I was sure it's your submission.
Here:
http://www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=4503.msg120785#msg120785
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: Yossi's Journey 06 Oct 2011 20:28 #121356

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
oh, I read it, but forgot that line.  Here's a Dov quote from the Oct 4th email. (emphasis mine)

I believe the 12-step people (and the RMB"M in shmoneh p'rakim), that my addiction is not my real problem. It is only a symptom of my real problem, which is a misconnection with G-d and my fellow man. And I also follow the experience of the 12-step people that all progress in my recovery will depend on my focusing on the 'Solution' instead of on the 'Problem'. (Of course, my addictive behavior history must be my total focus in the very beginning of my recovery so that I get clear that I need to live a different way if I expect to get better and not to be fooled any longer that I can beat it.) Learning to live differently takes tefillah, time, and effort.

So he seems to think that focusing on the past is simply a way to internalize that we need help.  Not part of the recovery per se.

Re: Yossi's Journey 06 Oct 2011 21:39 #121367

• mechazek
  • Gold Boarder
  • men darf alla mohl mechazek zein
yossi thanks for sharing great stuff.I to find that when someone needs me to be there for them emotionally it makes me feel vunurable.can you help me deal with this?

Re: Yossi's Journey 07 Oct 2011 12:10 #121412

• Yossi.L.
  • Platinum Boarder
Gibbor: It seems to me that Dov is saying that understanding the innate deficiencies that led to your addiction is important(your disconnection from god). However, the exact details of what led you to addictive behavior is not of essence. Is that the way you understand it?

Re: Yossi's Journey 07 Oct 2011 13:40 #121416

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Basically, so you realize that you need help and are motivated to get it. That's the way I read it.

Re: Yossi's Journey 09 Oct 2011 16:13 #121486

• Yossi.L.
  • Platinum Boarder
Mechazek,

When people need you to "be there" for them emotionally, that's exactly what they need; you to "be there" for them emotionally.

What they don't want is one of 2 things: 1) For you to feel the self centered need to "solve" their problems instantaneously with your magical powers, and keep offering them "the solution" to their problems. Or 2) For you to be too scared that you won't have the perfect solution and therfore recede out of the reality of the situation. Thereby causing you to be completely introverted and not "there" for them quite literally. 

What they do want is for you to be completely "there", and more impotantly: for "them". Stop trying to solve,fix,or remove their problem. Start focusing on completely listening,understanding, and feeling them.

Your vulnerability comes from a self centered fear that you might not be able to be their savior. And it's exactly that fear that will lead you to exactly that result.

I know this vulnerability all too well.

Yossi

Re: Yossi's Journey 09 Oct 2011 16:21 #121488

• Yossi.L.
  • Platinum Boarder
Reading my previous post I realized the way I matter of factly told you what your vulnerability is, without even thinking twice. Wow while posting about having the "solution" and not "being there" I was guilty of exactly that. Inspiring.
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes