Welcome, Guest

Things that make you go "hmmmmm......"
(0 viewing) 
Getting out of Isolation and connecting with others is an important part of recovery. This board is for non-addiction related threads, where members exchange jokes, have fun - and drink Lechayim Together!

TOPIC: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 14084 Views

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 01 Nov 2011 19:21 #123754

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Shrugging Off Compliments

Most don't know how to accept a compliment. Instead of graciously accepting it, they bashfully shrug it off.

The Sudilkover Rebbe explained that it is not proper not to accept a compliment. "Receiving is the biggest part of giving", he told me. If a person does not acknowledge his own nekudos tovos, he will be unable to appreciate the nekudos tovos of other people. Additionally, he will discourage the person giving him a compliment from complimenting other people in the future.

The Rebbe instructed me that if I received a compliment, that I should accept it warmly. Later, however, I could uplift the compliment by telling Hashem that I understood that that this person had only remarked about a gift or talent that He had given me. Responding like this, the Rebbe remarked, would be exhibiting true humility.

asimplejew.blogspot.com/2009/07/shrugging-off-compliments.html
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ
Last Edit: by .

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 01 Nov 2011 19:27 #123755

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
wise words.

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 01 Nov 2011 19:29 #123756

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 01 Nov 2011 19:21:

Shrugging Off Compliments

Most don't know how to accept a compliment. Instead of graciously accepting it, they bashfully shrug it off.

This is very important in marital communication as well.  Spouses need to learn how to accept the compliments they receive.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 02 Nov 2011 16:17 #123881

• Jackabbey
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
So:
No Licorice Yes Compliment

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 02 Nov 2011 16:19 #123883

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
If she makes some licorice, can you compliment her on it?  Can she accept the compliment?

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 02 Nov 2011 17:10 #123894

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah, but don't overdose on the compliments. They can cause an ego attack.
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 02 Nov 2011 17:17 #123900

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
hmmmm
Attachments:
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 02 Nov 2011 17:37 #123911

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
;D ;D ;D

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 02 Nov 2011 17:43 #123913

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
I need a full-size bumpersticker of that for my truck  ;D

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
- General Grant

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 02 Nov 2011 17:44 #123914

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
you mean MONSTER size, don't you?

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 02 Nov 2011 17:49 #123918

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
I'll put it on my other car....
Attachments:

- General Grant

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 03 Nov 2011 15:36 #124089

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Actions Speak for Themselves

A certain doctor called Rav Yitzchak Silberstein, shlit”a, with a fascinating question. He explained that he was about to operate on a new immigrant to Israel who was definitely Jewish but, strangely, did not have a bris. His parents had been very liberal and although they loved the land, they did not approve of the “blemish” of making a bris. “Halachically, can I make him a bris during the main procedure without his approval ahead of time?” asked the surgeon.
Rav Silberstein explained that this was only permitted if he was not planning to arrange a bris. “Also, you must first do the bris, since the other operation will place him in the category of a sick person who may not be circumcised until he is well.”
Despite the immense risk, the doctor decided to circumcise his amiable patient.
When the patient awoke and the doctor explained what he had done, the immigrant reacted in an amazing manner. “I must say that although I have never seriously entertained having a bris, now that it has been done I feel much more love for G-d and a powerful desire to fulfill mitzvos.” He added, “I also feel overpowered with gratitude towards the kind doctor who enabled me to feel all this!”

fire-in-breslov.blogspot.com/2011/11/actions-speak-for-themselves.html
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 03 Nov 2011 15:40 #124090

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
you forgot the disclaimer: Do not try this at home!

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 03 Nov 2011 15:45 #124094

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
A priest, a Pentecostal preacher and a Rabbi all served as chaplains to the students of Northern Michigan University in Marquette. They would get together two or three times a week for coffee and to talk shop. One day, someone made the comment that preaching to people isn't really all that hard.

A real challenge would be to preach to a bear.

One thing led to another and they decided to do an experiment. They would all go out into the woods, find a bear, preach to it, and attempt to convert it. Seven days later, they're all together to discuss the experience. Father Flannery, who has his arm in a sling, is on crutches, and has various bandages, goes first. "Well," he says, "I went into the woods to find me a bear. And when I found him I began to read to him from the Catechism. Well, that bear wanted nothing to do with me and began to slap me around. So I quickly grabbed my holy water, sprinkled him and he became as gentle a lamb. The bishop is coming out next week to give him first communion and confirmation."

Reverend Billy Bob spoke next. He was in a wheelchair, with an arm and both legs in casts, and an IV drip. In his best fire and brimstone oratory he claimed, "WELL brothers, you KNOW that we don't sprinkle! I went out and I FOUND me a bear. And then I began to read to him from

God's HOLY WORD! But that bear wanted nothing to do with me. So I took HOLD of him and we began to wrestle. We wrestled down one hill, UP another and DOWN another until we came to a creek. So I quick DUNKED him and BAPTIZED his hairy soul. And just like you said, he became as gentle as a lamb. We spent the rest of the week in Fellowship, feasting on God's Holy Word, and praising ____."

They both looked down at the rabbi, who was lying in a hospital bed. He was in a body cast and traction with IV's and monitors running in and out of him. He was in bad shape.

The rabbi looks up and says, "You fellows don't even know what trouble is until you try to circumcise a bear."
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 03 Nov 2011 15:58 #124097

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
;D ;D ;D. ;D ;D ;D. ;D ;D ;D. ;D ;D ;D. ;D ;D ;D. ;D ;D ;D. ;D ;D ;D. ;D ;D ;D.
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes