Welcome, Guest

Things that make you go "hmmmmm......"
(0 viewing) 
Getting out of Isolation and connecting with others is an important part of recovery. This board is for non-addiction related threads, where members exchange jokes, have fun - and drink Lechayim Together!

TOPIC: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 14214 Views

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 24 Aug 2011 16:51 #116188

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Millar: 'I didn't have the courage to quit doping'

Cycling is one of the most physically demanding of professional sports, but it is also one of the most tainted. In the last decade a host of top riders have been exposed as drugs cheats, including Briton David Millar.

He held the Tour de France's yellow jersey and was a world champion before he was busted. Banned for two years, he then came back, committed not just to racing, but to cleaning up cycling.

He spoke to Stephen Sackur about what it was like to win a world championship race on drugs, and why he is glad that he was caught.

from BBC
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ
Last Edit: by .

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 24 Aug 2011 17:07 #116194

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 05 Sep 2011 21:10 #117706

• ben durdayah
  • Current streak: 49 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No, that is not a mouse...
Yosef Hatzadik wrote on 05 Sep 2011 16:13:

# ___?  When you name your new baby boy after someone's username!

Yosef Hatzadik wrote on 05 Sep 2011 18:06:

psst...

Do you think he gets the hint?

ZemirosShabbos wrote on 05 Sep 2011 18:08:

hmmmmmm.....
For Dov and the other two guys who care,
My real name really is
 Eli
Like the original Bendy, Ein hadavar talui ela bee

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 05 Sep 2011 21:13 #117707

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
ben durdayah wrote on 24 Aug 2011 21:54:

:D ;D gevaldiggggggg  ;D :D !
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 08 Sep 2011 16:00 #118131

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Rav Yisroel Yaakov Fisher: Can You Daven For Success In Business?

Although everything is decided by Hashem and we trust that he gives us all that we need, we must still ask for things, if we want Hashem to send them. That is why the Chachomim made a Bracha in Shmoneh Esrei for Parnassa. To what degree of specificity may a person daven?  Do we have a right to request from Hashem to send it through a specific means, or must we just ask him to support us financially and leave it purely to his discretion via which channels He'd like to send it?

RavYisroel Yaakov Fisher (Even Yisroel 9:61:21) says that indeed you may not petition Hashem as to how, or through which opportunity, Hashem should provide you with a livelihood.  Your request should be limited to asking for a comfortable income.  However say Rav Fisher, that is before you start working on a particular venture.  Once you are already involved in it and this is your Hishtadlus, you may daven for its success.

revach.net/article.php?id=3147
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 20 Sep 2011 16:44 #119621

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
If Your Have To Ask You Are Not Ready Yet

In Parshas Shemos, the Degel Machaneh Ephraim taught that a person should elevate the machshavos zaros (strange and evil thoughts) that come to him. Regarding this topic, one commenter asked how we should practically go about elevating these thoughts.

Last night, I learned a shtickel of Degel Machaneh Ephraim, Parshas Bo with the Sudilkover Rebbe that provided an answer. The Degel taught that a person must know the spiritual level he is on and conduct his avodas Hashem accordingly without attempting to perform lofty avodas above his reach. Furthermore, he should know that it is impossible to comprehend the wisdom of a higher spiritual level when he has not yet reached that level.

The Sudilkover Rebbe explained that an example of this could be a married man who is walking on the street attempting to elevate his machshavos zaros after he sees a beautiful women who was dressed less than modestly. If he had not yet attained an extremely high spirtitual level, he may fall from his current level if he attempts to elevate his thoughts of her beauty and use them as a stepping stone to contemplate the beauty Hashem has made in His creation. If, however, he recognizes his true spiritual level, he will understand that he should proceed by simply averting his eyes and pushing any thoughts about her out of his mind altogether.

The Rebbe said that advancing from level to level can be likened to a person climbing a ladder made out of wood. If a person proceeds too quickly without first testing to see whether the rung above him will hold his weight, he may fall to the ground once it snaps beneath him.

At what time then is a person ready to proceed to the next level and take on a new and higher avoda?

The Rebbe answered that a person is ready when he doesn't have to ask if he is ready or how to proceed and accomplish his new avoda. Chassidshe seforim are like a puzzle; some pieces belong to the earth and some pieces belong the sky. He must know where in the picture the piece he is now holding belongs.

asimplejew.blogspot.com/2009/01/if-your-have-to-ask-you-are-not-ready.html
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 21 Sep 2011 01:18 #119714

• tryhard
  • Senior Boarder
what meschta is not in the proper seder?
chullin its in the seder of kodshem just thought that was interesting

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 21 Sep 2011 02:39 #119720

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1226 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I think in the Meiri it's with seder Moed, and he talks about it in the Hakdama.

But maybe there's something deep there, that chullin can be kodshim too.....
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 06 Oct 2011 19:20 #121330

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 06 Oct 2011 19:23 #121334

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
;D

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 01 Nov 2011 18:31 #123743

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
FDA: Beware Black Licorice Overdose
Tuesday November 1, 2011 5:20 AM

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has a warning for candy-loving grown-ups: Too much black licorice can cause heart problems.

The old-fashioned favorite contains glycyrrhizin, a chemical that can trigger a dangerous drop in potassium levels. When potassium runs low, heart rhythms fluctuate and blood pressure can rise causing swelling, lethargy, even congestive heart failure.

Licorice has long been used as a natural remedy for heartburn, stomach ulcers, sore throat and some infections. Although its healing powers remain unclear, several studies have linked black licorice to heart disease and high blood pressure in people over 40 - even if they had no history of these conditi8ons.

So how much is too much? According to the FDA, eating 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks could land someone in the hospital with a heart arrhythmia.

People with high blood pressure, heart disease or kidney disease are even more susceptible to black licorice’s effects, according to the National Institutes of Health. As few as 5 grams (.18 ounces) per day could cause health problems.

The good news is cutting back on black licorice can quickly restore potassium levels.

Avoid eating large amounts of black licorice at a time, and alert your doctor if you notice an irregular heart rhythm or muscle weakness, the FDA said. Black licorice can also interact with some medications and dietary supplements, so talk to your doctor if you eat the sweet regularly.

{ABC News/Matzav.com Newscenter}

anyone know if this applies to black jelly beans?
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 01 Nov 2011 18:32 #123744

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Bride Caught Texting Down the Aisle
Tuesday November 1, 2011 6:32 AM

In the digital age of Facebook, Twitter and 24/7 texting, it seems as though very few things are sacred anymore. People text in class and even while driving.

But one woman was caught texting in a really unusual place - her own wedding.

After making her way down the aisle with her father, the California bride paused, pulled a cell phone out of her dress and began to text under her veil. She used one hand to text.

“This is part of a wedding video I shot in August 2008 at the Mission Beach Women’s Club in San Diego, CA,” videographer James Costa wrote on his YouTube page. “It was otherwise perfectly normal except for this one funny clip of the bride TEXTING just after [walking] down the aisle!”

Costa couldn’t believe his eyes when he noticed the covert messaging.

“At one point, I noticed her doing it through my lens and I had to pull away form the camera to make certain I was seeing what I thought I was seeing,” Costa wrote.

The bride’s back was to her guests, but Costa caught the moment on camera.

“…her back was to everyone in attendance,” Costa wrote. “I was the only one to see her. Her dad glanced over at her and then saw me doing a double take and began to laugh out loud!”

The bride’s father appears visibly embarrassed in the video and at one point opens his mouth and begins to move his arm as though he’s going to say something to her, but he refrains, and let’s the bride do - or text - whatever she wants on her special day.

{ABC News Technology/Matzav.com Newscenter}
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 01 Nov 2011 18:42 #123746

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1226 days
  • Platinum Boarder
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 01 Nov 2011 18:31:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has a warning for candy-loving grown-ups: Too much black licorice can cause heart problems.

The old-fashioned favorite contains glycyrrhizin, a chemical that can trigger a dangerous drop in potassium levels. When potassium runs low, heart rhythms fluctuate and blood pressure can rise causing swelling, lethargy, even congestive heart failure.

Licorice has long been used as a natural remedy for heartburn, stomach ulcers, sore throat and some infections. Although its healing powers remain unclear, several studies have linked black licorice to heart disease and high blood pressure in people over 40 - even if they had no history of these conditi8ons.

So how much is too much? According to the FDA, eating 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks could land someone in the hospital with a heart arrhythmia.

People with high blood pressure, heart disease or kidney disease are even more susceptible to black licorice’s effects, according to the National Institutes of Health. As few as 5 grams (.18 ounces) per day could cause health problems.

The good news is cutting back on black licorice can quickly restore potassium levels.

Avoid eating large amounts of black licorice at a time, and alert your doctor if you notice an irregular heart rhythm or muscle weakness, the FDA said. Black licorice can also interact with some medications and dietary supplements, so talk to your doctor if you eat the sweet regularly.

{ABC News/Matzav.com Newscenter}

anyone know if this applies to black jelly beans?

I saw that too and immediately thought the same thing!

I don't think so, black jellybeans are flavored with anise, which is also used in the licorice, but the jellybeans do not have licorice in them.

Good thing too, or i would be giving a cardiologist a heart attack right now  ;D ;D ;D
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 01 Nov 2011 18:59 #123751

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
thank you for clarifying
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Things that make you go "hmmmmm......" 01 Nov 2011 19:16 #123753

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 01 Nov 2011 18:31:

So how much is too much?

I would say that one bite of the stuff is too much.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0
Time to create page: 0.69 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes