Welcome, Guest

I Want to Help Others
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: I Want to Help Others 558 Views

Re: I Want to Help Others 07 Jul 2024 20:04 #416613

• BenHashemBH
  • Platinum Boarder
Reading some great chizuk from You Revealed by Naftali Horowitz. (Benny, any relation?)

It is precisely because of our tremendous potential that we feel so deeply affected by our shortcomings. Like a Lamborghini being used only to drive to the corner store to buy milk, the engine cries out in frustration, "Use me! I want to go 200mph on the open road." The sports car is being wasted on the deteriorating side streets.  We have our own super engines, our holy neshamos. Each of us has the power to change the world. When we leave that potential to lie dormant, it's no wonder we experience feelings of restlessness, frustration, and even depression. 

Don't be afraid to hit the gas (or battery ) and see the places you can go.
Every challenge is an opportunity. Every stumbling block is also a steppingstone. Keep climbing.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
"In the place where the penitents stand, the perfectly righteous cannot stand." -Berachos 34b
The yetzarim a person has the most trouble dealing with are his most powerful God-given tools for developing his potential and achieving shleimus.
In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.
It doesn't matter how big the number is, only that today it is going up by one.

A little about what I'm doing here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/412971-I-Want-to-Help-Others
Last Edit: 07 Jul 2024 20:05 by BenHashemBH.

Re: I Want to Help Others 22 Jul 2024 18:50 #417535

• BenHashemBH
  • Platinum Boarder

Started learning sefer Shemiras Halashon yesterday and wanted to share a relevant piece from the hakdama.

In Avos DeRebbi Nassan there is a quote from R’ Yochanan Ben Dahavai. The Tanna shares a parable: A man is hired to fill buckets of water from the ocean and pour them onto land. He works for a few hours, but the ocean isn’t any smaller and the land is not covered in water. He begins to despair. Tell him “Foolish one! What do you care? Each day that you labor, you receive your wages; a golden dinar!”

The yetzer hara tells us that it’s impossible. No matter how much effort we put in, we will not be able to reach the end and stay there forever. If anything, we can get but a few moments, not even a day before our resolve collapses. You have no hope and would be better off focusing your efforts on other matters.

We say back to the yetzer hara that even if he’s right, that one instance is where all the value is. It is from those fighting moments that we earn from Hashem our golden dinars of schar.

Every challenge is an opportunity. Every stumbling block is also a steppingstone. Keep climbing.
"In the place where the penitents stand, the perfectly righteous cannot stand." -Berachos 34b
The yetzarim a person has the most trouble dealing with are his most powerful God-given tools for developing his potential and achieving shleimus.

A little about what I'm doing here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/412971-I-Want-to-Help-Others

Re: I Want to Help Others 28 Jul 2024 10:57 #417911

• BenHashemBH
  • Platinum Boarder
BenHashemBH wrote on 22 Jul 2024 18:50:

Started learning sefer Shemiras Halashon yesterday and wanted to share a relevant piece from the hakdama.

In Avos DeRebbi Nassan there is a quote from R’ Yochanan Ben Dahavai. The Tanna shares a parable: A man is hired to fill buckets of water from the ocean and pour them onto land. He works for a few hours, but the ocean isn’t any smaller and the land is not covered in water. He begins to despair. Tell him “Foolish one! What do you care? Each day that you labor, you receive your wages; a golden dinar!”

The yetzer hara tells us that it’s impossible. No matter how much effort we put in, we will not be able to reach the end and stay there forever. If anything, we can get but a few moments, not even a day before our resolve collapses. You have no hope and would be better off focusing your efforts on other matters.

We say back to the yetzer hara that even if he’s right, that one instance is where all the value is. It is from those fighting moments that we earn from Hashem our golden dinars of schar.

So literally The Battle of the Generation page 26 lol

Reading it while at the airport and taking chizuk from others who shared their triumphs - I recall Reb Muttel posting his victory a while back. 

Read in a different sefer last week that when you are growing it is expected and ok to become a bit abnormal (different). You are elevating yourself above the generic klal, own it. 

B'ezras Hashem today should be a day of being abnormal

Re: I Want to Help Others 29 Jul 2024 13:18 #417975

• BenHashemBH
  • Platinum Boarder
Baruch Hashem!
Yesterday was an amazing day.
Boy did I get an eye-full a few times. Not stam, the nisyonos of traveling. 

So what gives? Why the excitement?

I traveled for a simcha in a completely normal way.
While I saw, I tried not to see and i didn't look. For the more out of the ordinary things, it is Hashem who orchestrates what will be around us. 

I'm not beating myself up for seeing things that were beyond my control. I do what I need to and am expected to do, and the rest of the cheshbon is Hashem's. That is the victory, to accept that and move forward.

Obviously each person needs to know what is a normal situation for them to be in. 

Kol tov

Last Edit: 29 Jul 2024 13:19 by BenHashemBH.

Re: I Want to Help Others 29 Jul 2024 17:18 #418001

• Muttel
  • Current streak: 100 days
  • Gold Boarder
So happy to hear!! (would've been nice to have seen you)

I will be flying later this week and hoping to match your performance!

Thanks for this post, it hit the right spot for me.

Muttel
We're in this struggle together; feel free to reach out! 
Muttel15@gmail.com

Feel free to call! (908) 251-9590 (google)

Check out my thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/413043-My-ENTIRE-story#413043

Re: I Want to Help Others 29 Jul 2024 19:28 #418009

• yanky9502
  • Fresh Boarder
hello you want to help real?

Re: I Want to Help Others 29 Jul 2024 19:31 #418010

• BenHashemBH
  • Platinum Boarder
yanky9502 wrote on 29 Jul 2024 19:28:
hello you want to help real?

Shalom Brother,
Is there something you'd like to share or ask about? Happy to help if I can, as are the many incredible people here.

Re: I Want to Help Others 08 Aug 2024 16:33 #418725

• BenHashemBH
  • Platinum Boarder
Dear Brothers and myself,
It was Chanukah of 2022 that this journey that is my life took a major and somewhat unexpected turn for the better. 
I wasn't counting, but today would be round about day 600 of really living as a Ben Hashem.
Tonight I have a termination (scary word that therapists use for a final session). It will be the 10th and final meeting in a group therapy session with other frum men, focused on self-growth. As I think about my reflections, they are exactly how I want to celebrate the tremendous gifts from Hashem and also my own hard work that helped me to get to where I am today. I have started and I'm far from finished. Here is where I am right now:

Self-confidence – Trust myself. Believe in myself. Just do it. Hashem believes in me (evidence: I’m alive), so why do I have doubts in my abilities to accomplish?

Self-conscious – I have doubts. I need to trust myself. Think, but don’t overthink or obsess in a way that impedes moving forward in the direction I want/need to go in.

Self-critical – I am imperfect and that is perfectly ok. Make mistakes. It’s better than doing nothing (usually).

Validation – Should not feel like I need it, though it is certainly helpful and much appreciated.

Invisible – I think this may be part of my current personality. Even though I feel appreciated and seen, I still feel easily dismissed or pushed to the back of the line in many situations. Not maliciously or even consciously, I think I give off a persona of not needing attention and seeming ok, so many other people/things default in as the priority. Is it because of my history of becoming and being self-reliant? Do I give off a vibe of not needing others? Do I make other people uncomfortable in some way that they choose to ignore me – perhaps because I don’t appear like an open person?

I think this item is one that I really need to work on going forward, because it affects me in two major ways.

1) It’s a really negative feeling to have.

2) I don’t want to seem closed off. I care about people, and I want people to care about me. Though at the same time, I have to be ok if they don’t care.

Getting stuck – Panic in saying the wrong thing (either incorrect or just incoherent) which causes flooding in my mind that does not allow me to think clearly or at all. Hoping to practice and also increase self-confidence. Keep talking to people, especially new people, particularly with people or in places that are more challenging. Main opportunities will be in shul (not during) and at community events.

Don’t take the easy way out – Never try, never fail is not a was of living. Don’t get easily deterred from doing the right thing, even if it’s not my distinct responsibility.

Push myself – The most growth happens in areas beyond my comfort zone.

Just do it – At some point, the time to think is past and the time to act is now. Today is yesterday’s tomorrow. Waiting doesn’t often put me in any better place to tackle something that needs to get done. Don’t procrastinate, or do I wish to risk procrastinating forever?

Believe in ME – At the end of the day, I need to know who I am and live my life. That means acknowledging my weaknesses as well as my strengths. That means working on myself in both. This is me, this is what I’m doing, this is why I’m doing it, this is how I’m doing it, and now I’m actually working on getting it done.

Connect with others – No one is supposed to be alone. K’ish echad b’lev echad, we are one. Any person down is all of us lower, and every person up is all of us higher. Ask for help or offer help, we’re both growing either way.

Keep trying to be someone I’m not YET -- not something I’m not.
Don’t lose myself in changing.
Find myself.

All aboard the monster truck! There is room for everyone (and ice-cold beer in the back).

Last Edit: 08 Aug 2024 16:34 by BenHashemBH.
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes