Welcome, Guest

60 years old and still struggling
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!
  • Page:

TOPIC: 60 years old and still struggling 402 Views

Re: 60 years old and still struggling 12 Mar 2024 01:08 #409941

• jacko
  • Fresh Boarder
A huge factor in overcoming lust is removing yourself from the area of temptation like a goyishe office. Probably the most amoral of places. They can’t even abide by the simplest of Shevah bnai noach

Re: 60 years old and still struggling 12 Mar 2024 01:13 #409943

• jacko
  • Fresh Boarder
So yeah I do have a lot of guilt and shame for my past aveoros. I am always asking Hashem to forgive me for my past sins. One day at a time as they say. Thankfully alcohol abuse (not alcoholism thankfully) is no longer a huge problem since leaving the office environment   Goyim seriously drink and many are functioning alcoholic not just alcohol abusers  like myself .  But thank Gd I seem to have put that behind me , at least until the YH clobbers ne again when I am least expecting it. The YH is real and a palpable entity in my eyes. 

Re: 60 years old and still struggling 12 Mar 2024 01:18 #409945

• jacko
  • Fresh Boarder
So overall things are much much better in my life regarding pritzsus and all that goes along with it and for this I thank hkbh every day that he made it possible for me to leave a goyishe office. But I still struggle.  This forum has already been very helpful in allaying some of my fears and I thank you all for your thoughtful and obviously heartfelt replies. 

Re: 60 years old and still struggling 12 Mar 2024 04:21 #409954

• bright
  • Current streak: 74 days
  • Platinum Boarder
youknowwho wrote on 11 Mar 2024 21:27:

Jacko wrote on 11 Mar 2024 17:51:
I am 60 years old and still struggle mightily.  I will recite the tikkun this anfternoon  and stood under the shower for a long time after. Got my 40 seah in rolling water over my head. Also will wash all the clothes and sheets involved.  I will also try to get to a Mikva.  But it all just repeats itself. Every few months or so.  My greatest fear is that this horrible activity is blocking blessings of shidduchim for my daughters. I have convinced myself that this is the reason they aren’t married yet. Beating myself up over it constantly. My biggest problem is I have a smart phone and hone WiFi    It is just so easy to access pure tunah. I just need some chizzuk chevrai so I know my eternal soul can come out of this in good shape. Not a young man any longer and I think about things like this now. 

Hi Jacko, welcome to the forum!

It is super painful to find yourself still struggling at age 60, I cannot begin to imagine the pain you are experiencing!!

If I may suggest, please read some of the threads here, how people break free regardless of age or level of destructive behaviors. It is possible.

My humble two cents is that tikkun, 40 seah and mikvah are all very nice, but may not go too far in helping solve your problem. Ditto to the unhealthy, guilt-ridden belief that acting out is destroying shidduchim for your daughters.

Over spiritualizing this struggle can be detrimental to many who travel the dark road of “fall, repent, fall, repeat” cycle for decades.

Still struggling at 60 (you didn’t specify struggling with what, masturbation? Prostitutes? Are you currently married?) is a lonely and dire situation indeed. Spiritualizing hasn’t gotten you too far, perhaps other methods such as facing painful emotions, exploring why you are acting out, dealing with the need to escape etc., can be utilized with better success.

All these strategies are most effective through reaching out to some of the amazing folks here who give of their time and expertise to help fellow strugglers. You will never be alone in this struggle again…try it!

You took a great first step forward by posting...please, don't stop now!

Looking forward to hear more updates and much Hatzlacha!

Totally agree! The whole guilt thing sounds straight out of my YHs playbook.
Nothing good grows in the dark. 

Re: 60 years old and still struggling 12 Mar 2024 06:51 #409961

• yitzchokm
  • Current streak: 304 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Do you know the situations, thoughts and emotions that precede a fall? Likely, addressing them directly would be more effective than reciting Tehillim. Guilt and shame can be helpful if utilized correctly but harmful when used the wrong way. Feeling like a personal failure and labeling ourselves as sinners causes us to give up the fight and fall again. Realizing that we made a simple mistake, brushing off the dust, learning what led to the fall, adjusting our plan and taking responsibility so that we overcome our struggles will lead us to success.
Last Edit: 12 Mar 2024 06:58 by yitzchokm.

Re: 60 years old and still struggling 27 Mar 2024 18:07 #410789

• yitzchokm
  • Current streak: 304 days
  • Platinum Boarder
How are you doing, buddy?

Re: 60 years old and still struggling 27 Mar 2024 20:53 #410822

• eraygrand
  • Current streak: 546 days
  • Expert Boarder
As someone in his 50s that struggled mightily with almost no success for over 40 years I can certainly empathize and sympathize with you.  I just recently celebrated one year clean so it is possible! Please feel free to reach out to me. Happy to talk with you. It is imperative that to speak with one of the wonderful mentors here. Also like many of us there is a vibe of yiush coming through.  I cannot stress enough how important it is to realize that this is one of the primary tools of the YH in this battle.

Re: 60 years old and still struggling 28 Mar 2024 01:09 #410845

Hi, and here am I also in the late 40's. I am wondering wouldn't it be a good idea to make a separate group for 40+ struggling with nisyonos?!
Since the situation is pretty different than for youngsters I think it would be a great idea to create a seperate group or thread for people in their, 40's - 60's to share their experience, good ideas, bad ideas, chizuk etc. etc. I think it would help alot for our age group. Who wants to create a group/thread for that?!
Chevra let's go! 
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes