Welcome, Guest

I Can Run But I Can't Hide
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 6498 Views

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 31 Oct 2023 01:16 #403011

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 458 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Finally!! Another guy who knows how to use the King's English....

KOMT!
Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 05 Nov 2023 23:53 #403279

• frank.lee
  • Current streak: 333 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, so easy but so difficult. You just need to think and take smart action, with commitment. 
In retrospect, BH you will be shocked how easy it was to break free!!

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 08 Nov 2023 01:11 #403424

• hechochma
  • Current streak: 14 days
  • Gold Boarder
Thank you everyone for sharing the experience of being on the other said.
I wanted to share a few thoughts.
I'm clean about twelve days now.
I've been clean for much longer than that in my life. But this time was different.
I was clean this time from the inside out - I was clean because I wanted to stay with myself, to live with my emotions and to stop escaping.
This time it was a journey to find peace.

Indeed, many of the days were filled with peace - and I was able to process my own emotions by talking with the wonderful people here.

Recently I've been stressed out about what I should be doing with my life.
Been driving me bananas, honestly.
But we'll get to that in another post
Perhaps more importantly - I feel like I don't have any friends.
Plenty of acquaintances to be fair - but friends - people I talk to regularly or share even a mashehu of vulnerability - noop.
There's tons of people that I are similar to me in the most external way - yungeleit in lakewood yada yada. But to connect in more than a small-talkish way - socially off isn't it?! And like if I have emotions - forget it!
That's how it feels to me - anyone else relate or have some thoughts about navigating this?

And another question for the wise constituents of GYE - I'm considering meditating every day after first seder just to settle me down a little bit - anyone have experience with meditating/mindfulness?
Join us in reading two pages a day of the most amazing and absolutely guilt-trip-free book on the epic holy battle of our generation! Free PDF here

My Thread

והנה הכתוב אומר: הן יראת ה' היא חכמה... הרי שהיראה היא חכמה והיא לבדה חכמה... כי עיון גדול צריך על כל הדברים האלה לדעת אותם באמת ולא על צד הדמיון והסברה הכוזבת, כל שכן לקנות אותם ולהשיגם
Last Edit: 08 Nov 2023 01:14 by hechochma.

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 08 Nov 2023 01:48 #403427

• ainshumyeiush
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Gold Boarder
Check out Jewish meditation by r aryeh Kaplan. Im pretty sure you can pick it up in judaica plaza. Its very good and written with beginners in mind.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill

Curiosity kills the count

guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/401159-This-time-for-real?limit=15&start=15#401727

feel free to get in touch
ainshumyeiush@gmail.com 
7327021556 (google voice)

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 08 Nov 2023 03:19 #403434

• willdoit
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Gold Boarder
Plenty of acquaintances to be fair - but friends - people I talk to regularly or share even a mashehu of vulnerability - noop.
There's tons of people that I are similar to me in the most external way - yungeleit in lakewood yada yada. But to connect in more than a small-talkish way - socially off isn't it?! And like if I have emotions - forget it!
That's how it feels to me - anyone else relate or have some thoughts about navigating this

Oh boy, can I relate to this.. extremely painfull
Last Edit: 08 Nov 2023 04:43 by willdoit.

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 08 Nov 2023 18:22 #403449

HeChochma wrote on 08 Nov 2023 01:11:
That's how it feels to me - anyone else relate or have some thoughts about navigating this?

And another question for the wise constituents of GYE - I'm considering meditating every day after first seder just to settle me down a little bit - anyone have experience with meditating/mindfulness?

Hey, wise constituent of GYE here.

Sounds like a tough spot. What makes the situation even sadder is that I bet there are dozens of other guys around you who feel the same way, and all think they're an anomaly and feel lonely as a result. Ah, society.

What I can suggest is that you join a group/course/seminar dedicated to personal growth and create meaningful relationships that route.
Heck, you'll probably meet those people you currently only have small talk with.
Or maybe a bunch of Chasidim. Don't be afraid; we don't bite (we broke our teeth trying to speak English at the course).

As for meditation, it can be a useful tool. I would caution you to find a good teacher to guide you through the process because otherwise, its effects can be the opposite of settling you down.
We get only one chance at life.
This is not a rehearsal; it's the real thing.

Father, help me live sober Today.

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 08 Nov 2023 19:37 #403455

• bright
  • Current streak: 74 days
  • Platinum Boarder

Move out of town.
Nothing good grows in the dark. 

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 08 Nov 2023 20:05 #403457

• iwannalivereal
  • Current streak: 342 days
  • Expert Boarder
So happy to hear about your inner peace! I too had similar experience in where I was super proud of my streak even when it was only like 2 weeks because I felt that inner change starting to happen which is such an important part of this struggle.

About your friend question... 2 things come to mind. First of all when we live with this deep dark secret it's very likely that even the friends that we do have, we can't build the relationship because subconsciously we're afraid that if we get too close they might find out about who we really are. The second thing I have noticed (sort of the same point just from the opposite angle) is that I have recently made 3 friends here on GYE who know all about my deep dark secrets. I have shmoozed with them on the phone, and I have even met 2 of them in person. My feelings towards them is that although I don't really know them much, the fact that they know my vulnerable and secret side of me makes me feel so much more comfortable even with random shmoozing than it does when I'm shmoozing with guys I've known for years. We share a common secret and I have nothing to hide from them.
Not sure what the eitza is, but you're always welcome to come visit me in the Yoshon!
Feel free to say hi! iwannalivereal@gmail.com
Check out my story here!
Last Edit: 08 Nov 2023 20:13 by iwannalivereal.

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 08 Nov 2023 20:09 #403458

• ainshumyeiush
  • Gold Boarder
Ah! He learns in yoshun! Now we can figure out who he is!
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill

guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/401159-This-time-for-real?limit=15&start=15#401727

ainshumyeiush@gmail.com 

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 08 Nov 2023 20:12 #403459

• iwannalivereal
  • Expert Boarder
If you're curious enough!!!

But hey I never said that's where I learn... maybe I just do the 2 hour shachris thingy they have going there!
Check out my story here!
Last Edit: 08 Nov 2023 20:13 by iwannalivereal.

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 08 Nov 2023 20:13 #403460

• jackthejew
  • Platinum Boarder
iwannalivereal wrote on 08 Nov 2023 20:12:
If you're curious enough!!!

But hey I never said that's where I learn... maybe I just daven shachris there for 3 hours!!!

Then you wouldn't be posting. You'd probably be busy trying to roll the "Tizzzzkeru"
Off the forum for now.
My Thread (Not for inspiration, but for random bits and pieces of my journey, as well as the inspiring responses of others: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/375514-Enough-is-Enough
jackthejewgye@gmail.com
There are tips, tools, and techniques, but there are no shortcuts.

Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet! ~ Groucho Marx
Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable.-Voltaire
You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.- Abraham Lincoln
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.- Yogi Berra
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." ~ Calvin

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 08 Nov 2023 20:17 #403461

• iwannalivereal
  • Expert Boarder
Oh hey jack maybe that should be a new GYE tool! Try rolling the tizkeru in the yoshon will keep you busy so for so long you wont have any time for anything else!!!
And maybe taka those tizkeru rollers in the yoshon are so busy cuz they know this trick!!!
Check out my story here!

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 08 Nov 2023 22:38 #403467

ainshumyeiush wrote on 08 Nov 2023 01:48:
Check out Jewish meditation by r aryeh Kaplan. Im pretty sure you can pick it up in judaica plaza. Its very good and written with beginners in mind.

Or better yet, his book Meditation and Kabbalah. Fascinating read, and the chapters on Chassidus are very practical (the chapters on meditation on the name of 72 are slightly less practical).
We are not the same people we once were. We are not so locked into our urges that we have no choice. We can choose to give in or choose to win this battle today. We do not want to give in, the pleasure of giving in is false. 
With Hashem on our side our victory is inevitable; the only way we can lose is by giving up on playing the game.

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 09 Nov 2023 00:08 #403469

• ainshumyeiush
  • Gold Boarder
Also a very good book, however, Jewish meditation is geared towards beginners and explains everything very clearly with practical information for using the different techniques.

ainshumyeiush@gmail.com 

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 09 Nov 2023 02:23 #403471

• redfaced
  • Current streak: 475 days
  • Platinum Boarder
iwannalivereal wrote on 08 Nov 2023 20:05:
So happy to hear about your inner peace! I too had similar experience in where I was super proud of my streak even when it was only like 2 weeks because I felt that inner change starting to happen which is such an important part of this struggle.

About your friend question... 2 things come to mind. First of all when we live with this deep dark secret it's very likely that even the friends that we do have, we can't build the relationship because subconsciously we're afraid that if we get too close they might find out about who we really are. The second thing I have noticed (sort of the same point just from the opposite angle) is that I have recently made 3 friends here on GYE who know all about my deep dark secrets. I have shmoozed with them on the phone, and I have even met 2 of them in person. My feelings towards them is that although I don't really know them much, the fact that they know my vulnerable and secret side of me makes me feel so much more comfortable even with random shmoozing than it does when I'm shmoozing with guys I've known for years. We share a common secret and I have nothing to hide from them.
Not sure what the eitza is, but you're always welcome to come visit me in the Yoshon!

Very well said . I have friends here for 6 months that I am closer too & more comfortable with, than the friends I've had for 20+ years.
When you share the depths of your Neshama with someone else , & he with you it creates a closeness that is not easily replicated.
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/416899-The-Red-Face
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes