Welcome, Guest

Make it to Yeshiva
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Make it to Yeshiva 98592 Views

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 04 Jan 2021 14:31 #360511

• BHYY
  • Current streak: 787 days
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 03 Jan 2021 05:50:
So I went out with a friend and who Bh wasn’t busy.
Got pizza and went bowling. 
Was abit hard though cuz the lane next to us had a few drunk guys and girls doing very inappropriate things.....................
I wish I could say I held back at looking, it was insane..

(The classic Yeshivish guy thing to say would be that these people were being disgusting and that Bh “v’hivdilanu min hato’im.”
But honestly, I was jealous. I know it’s sad that a Ben Melech felt jealous of peasants. But that’s how I felt. And I still kinda feel like that...)

But Bh got out my energy, ready to go to sleep and shteig bezras Hashem.

B”H! You are a healthy functioning male!
Allow me to share a mehalech that has worked really well for me. There’s a story that’s been going around about a wealthy businessman who commuted to NYC everyday. He wasn’t happy with the billboards and other pritzus he was seeing so he made himself a deal. Every time he looked away he would put aside a dollar. After sometime he had amassed a tremendous amount of dollars and bought himself a beautiful silver menora. Can you imagine the Simcha he has every Chanukah when he lights that menora? Or just a regular day when he sees it in his break front? He is reminded of the zechsuim that got him that beautiful menora. I am going to write more in detail on my thread but I thought, why can’t I do that too? I’m not a wealthy businessman but I can afford a few dollars. So I started. Every time I look away from someone in the street or a billboard or every half hour that I refrain from masturbating when I have an urge I put aside a dollar. They add up really quickly. There are many different ways you can adapt this method, you can save up for something like the menora or there are mentors here on GYE that will match your savings to give you an even bigger push. I saw a tremendous change in myself because you are in essence training yourself to have a reaction to look away from such things but you don’t even notice because it’s a fun game-like situation. 
Anyways, just thought I’d share what works for me. 
Hatzlocha!
נאָך אַ שריפה ווערט מען רייַך - After a fire one becomes wealthy.

My email: bhyy@protonmail.com

My thread: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/349632-Hayom-Yom

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 01:22 #360542

• yeshivaguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Baruch HaShem, today I shlepped my body out of bed for Shachris.
I fought every fiber of my guf and Bh been goin well thus far

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 01:26 #360543

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
wilnevergiveup wrote on 04 Jan 2021 05:39:

YeshivaGuy wrote on 04 Jan 2021 02:52:

If I had a low self esteem etc then it wouldn’t bother me so much. But I really beleive in myself that I can become a Big Talmud Chacham and Oved HaShem.
And that’s what bothers me, that I’m not pushing harder. Not enough Mesirus Nefesh...

Every single time I attempt to get better to get back on track, I just fall back down.
So what’s the mahalach?

Not to get into a whole debate here but low self esteem is exactly that. people with low self esteem usually have master plans for their future and believe they have potential but feel like they are not worthy in the moment. 

I’m always down for a good debate
I understand and appreciate what ur saying, but I don’t think going to shachris is such a “grand plan.”
I think it’s healthy to expect some Mesirus Nefesh from oneself.
In modern society there’s such a focus on taking it easy, (like their “tachlis” is to retire and play golf all day eating apple sauce! etc etc.) and definitely one shouldn’t be obsessed and freak out.
But l’maaseh, there’s a reason why America hasn’t produced the Gedolei Yisrael that we have in Israel/ in previous generations.
This whole “take it easy” mentality is good, nice, and it has a place, but l’maase, we have chiyuvim and a tachlis HaChayim.

Obviously if one is getting anxiety etc, then it’s a bad thing.
But I think poshut, that an Emesdike “She’eefa l’Gadlus” is a very positive and essential part of becoming an Eved Hashem
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2021 02:34 by yeshivaguy.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 02:39 #360546

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
I definitely do have an aspect of low self esteem. 
But I beleive shtark, that “She’eefa l’Gadlus” is essential for true Aliya in Avodas HaShem.
And I don’t think all expectations are bad...

Now, I’m sure that I’m misunderstanding what u meant cuz I’m sure ur not against She’eefa.
So if you can elaborate, that would be appreciated 

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 03:37 #360551

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
Missed NightSeder cuz spoke to friend on phone...
Ill cut my losses and go to bed now to wake up on time.
In the past in this situation I’d go learn shtark until 12/1am, but I’m trying a diff mahalach now

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 03:47 #360553

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
wilnevergiveup wrote on 04 Jan 2021 05:39:

YeshivaGuy wrote on 04 Jan 2021 02:52:

If I had a low self esteem etc then it wouldn’t bother me so much. But I really beleive in myself that I can become a Big Talmud Chacham and Oved HaShem.
And that’s what bothers me, that I’m not pushing harder. Not enough Mesirus Nefesh...

Every single time I attempt to get better to get back on track, I just fall back down.
So what’s the mahalach?

people with low self esteem usually have master plans for their future and believe they have potential but feel like they are not worthy in the moment.

Ah I think I may understand now what u meant.
Ur not saying not to have “She’eefa l’Gadlus,” ur just saying not to be upset when I don’t always fulfill my aspirations? 
Or are you saying to make my aspirations more realistic?

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 04:03 #360557

• mggsbms
  • Current streak: 12 days
  • Platinum Boarder
"Sheifa" and "sheifa lgadlus" can be detrimental to true growth, because they are vaguely defined and leave an emptiness due to a person never knowing really if this is what "gadlus" is. It is a picture an illusion and not necessarily a good thing. It also causes lots of anxiety. An eved hashem is a person living in the present with the Torah as his guide. 

Correct me of I'm wrong we don't find this "shprach" in the Seforim of the kadmonim, there we are taught the real thing not platitudes. 

For debates sake...

BTW you have been a tremendous inspiration to many and to me personally.
Aka -  Mischadeish075 Email mischadeish075@gmail.com

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 04:20 #360558

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
mggsbms wrote on 05 Jan 2021 04:03:
"Sheifa" and "sheifa lgadlus" can be detrimental to true growth, because they are vaguely defined and leave an emptiness due to a person never knowing really if this is what "gadlus" is. It is a picture an illusion and not necessarily a good thing. It also causes lots of anxiety. An eved hashem is a person living in the present with the Torah as his guide. 

Correct me of I'm wrong we don't find this "shprach" in the Seforim of the kadmonim, there we are taught the real thing not platitudes. 

For debates sake...

BTW you have been a tremendous inspiration to many and to me personally.

This is why one needs guidance from a Rebbi and must be honest with himself.
Obviously, as I said, if it causes anxiety then it’s not being done properly.
But to rob an entire generation of Jews of any semblance of “She’eefa” is a tremendous disservice to Klall Yisrael.
Chazal say one should always say ״מתי יגעו מעשי למעשי אבותי״ (There’s your Makor)
Now, does that mean we should beat ourselves up for not being perfect?
No.
But it means we should have She’eefa l’Gadlus.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 04:38 #360561

• mggsbms
  • Platinum Boarder
We look to the previous generations to see and learn what living like a yid means and to emulate them, so that's defined. It's not a master plan and goal oriented. 

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 04:54 #360566

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
Debatable.
One should set goals to grow.
I think this is pretty poshut stuff, no?
I think people are so afraid of potential failure that they never actually push themselves to grow.
We need to encourage our children to be big and beleive in them. Not just be satisfied with mediocrity 

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 04:56 #360567

• starting
  • Current streak: 5 days
  • Platinum Boarder

מתי מגיע מעשי למעשה אבותי
Sounds to me more like its about focusing on each individual מעשה,
it's not about results.
Of course we should try and always do the right things but that does not mean to become roshei yeshiva. The end result of one persons best could be detrimental for another guy who tries to emulate. 

The start of 'STARting' is 'star'. Just start and you're a star!!

'the cleaner I stay, the cleaner I stay' - AlexEliezer
העבר עיני מראות שוא, בדרכך חינו (תהלים קיט, לז)
PM me for my phone number

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:01 #360568

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
starting wrote on 05 Jan 2021 04:56:

מתי מגיע מעשי למעשה אבותי
Sounds to me more like its about focusing on each individual מעשה,
it's not about results.
Of course we should try and always do the right things but that does not mean to become roshei yeshiva. The end result of one persons best could be detrimental for another guy who tries to emulate.

Guys guys, all I said was that I expect myself to go to Shachris. Don’t worry, I’m not chas vshalom (sarcasm) becoming a Rosh HaYeshiva anytime soon
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2021 05:48 by yeshivaguy.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:04 #360570

• mggsbms
  • Platinum Boarder
Showing our kids what a person can become and develop and refine and utilize our given strengths is all extremely important. But that has nothing to do with gadlus and sheifos it is every person's journey whether it will seem mediocre to somebody else or not. If somebody has a big soul and brain they should develop it and that is their journey. It is the picture that we create and then the pressure to fill it is what is causing immense problems.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:06 #360571

• mggsbms
  • Platinum Boarder
I suspect that this mindset has brought to many fine people to this site..

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 05 Jan 2021 05:11 #360572

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
mggsbms wrote on 05 Jan 2021 05:06:
I suspect that this mindset has brought to many fine people to this site..

Maybe.
But I know that I would never have pushed myself to learn and make it to a real Yeshiva and shteig unless my Rebbium instilled within me a drive to attain Gadlus.
Honestly, I think this is poshut stuff.
Obviously it should be done with love and properly, but we need to communicate to our children that they are the future of Klall Yisrael.
This Dor needs to take achrayus.
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes