Welcome, Guest

hello my friends....
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: hello my friends.... 101478 Views

Re: hello my friends.... 12 Jun 2012 14:28 #139289

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Machshovo wrote on 12 Jun 2012 14:17:

It's actually spelled matjes.

The herring, but not the (Hungarian) name.

(Matyash)

right...
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: hello my friends.... 12 Jun 2012 20:03 #139328

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Dov, i think i found out your secret snack
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: hello my friends.... 15 Jun 2012 15:23 #139574

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
וְאָמַרְתָּ לָהֶם זֶה הָאִשֶּׁה אֲשֶׁר תַּקְרִיבוּ לַה' כְּבָשִׂים

..This is the sacrifice that you shall bring to Hashem... The word "Isheh" is from the Lashon of "Ish", a person. One must sacrifice himself to Hashem. How do we do that? "Kvosim" can be read as "Kvoshim", as in "Koveish es Yitzro". When we hold ourselves back from giving in to the Yetzer, who convinces us that our lusts and desires are our very essence, we are Makriv that part of ourselves as a Korban.
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: hello my friends.... 15 Jun 2012 15:29 #139576

Nice pshat!

BTW, there something similar but different in the GYE handbook:

It says in the Korbonos: “Zeh Ha’isheh asher Takrivu LaHashem – This is the fire that you should sacrifice to Hashem.” Isheh means fire, but it also spells Ishah, which means “a woman.” The biggest sacrifice that a man needs to make in his life for Hashem is zeh Ha’isheh – this desire for women and the fire of lust.

As Chazal say: מקום הניחו לך להתגדר בו

MT

Re: hello my friends.... 17 Jun 2012 04:27 #139621

• Dov
  • Administrator
See Kavonos on "...al Yerech hamizbeyach soviv"
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: hello my friends.... 18 Jun 2012 06:27 #139679

• 1daat
  • Current streak: 126 days
  • Platinum Boarder
זֶה הָאִשֶּׁה אֲשֶׁר תַּקְרִיבוּ לַה'

Machshovo wrote on 15 Jun 2012 15:29:

but it also spells Ishah, which means “a woman.” The biggest sacrifice that a man needs to make in his life for Hashem is zeh Ha’isheh – this desire for women and the fire of lust.

I cannot sacrifice my desire for women. That is asking too much of me. Thank G-d it says הָאִשֶּׁה. I only have to sacrifice A woman--the woman in front of me in the supermarket, the woman in my fantasy, the woman getting out of a car. Just that one woman. This, with His help, I think is manageable. Maybe. On a good day.

Thanks for checking in, Gevurah, and thank you for the brochos.

Re: hello my friends.... 18 Jun 2012 07:35 #139683

• Blind Beggar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Not a sexaholic, just trying to be good.
1daat wrote on 18 Jun 2012 06:27:

זֶה הָאִשֶּׁה אֲשֶׁר תַּקְרִיבוּ לַה'

but it also spells Ishah, which means “a woman.” The biggest sacrifice that a man needs to make in his life for Hashem is zeh Ha’isheh – this desire for women and the fire of lust.

I cannot sacrifice my desire for women. That is asking too much of me. Thank G-d it says הָאִשֶּׁה. I only have to sacrifice A woman--the woman in front of me in the supermarket, the woman in my fantasy, the woman getting out of a car. Just that one woman. This, with His help, I think is manageable. Maybe. On a good day.

Thanks for checking in, Gevurah, and thank you for the brochos.

If the whole world would have been created just for this vort, it would have been worthwhile. The woman in front of me in the supermarket. Maybe. On a good day.
The Blind Beggar is a character in Rebbe Nachman's story of the Seven Beggars.
If I view a woman as an object, I am powerless over lust, but I don't have to look.
I can guard my eyes.
I want to guard my eyes.
I do guard my eyes.
Why do I say these four lines?

Re: hello my friends.... 18 Jun 2012 13:47 #139690

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
1D, that's Gevaldig. One Test At A Time.

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
- General Grant

Re: hello my friends.... 04 Jul 2012 13:23 #140883

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder

This was just posted on Gesher's thread:

addictioncounselor999 wrote on 04 Jul 2012 13:00:

i see people have offered some nice ideas.
another idea from the rosy fields of CBT in addiction counseling is to do as follows:

ask yourself: how much of my looking is due to my stress of obsessing about not looking?

next, ask yourself: why do i look? is it because i am attracted to women?

if you answered yes to the above question, then ask yourself: isn't it normal to have such a drive? don't other men also do this, or:aren't other men at least tempted to do this? or:isn't this exactly why God commanded the Jewish people not to look after their eyes....because he designed them to have such desires?

now, you may say: it is true, men want to look, and i want to look, but my looking is compulsive, and their's is just out of "tayva", or you may say "they look here and there, but i myself cannot stop!"

these things may be true. but you no longer need to obsess so much about how you are looking. meaning, wanting to look is quite normal. the problem in your case is that you obsess about it, or act on it.

so the punchline is: ACCEPT the desire to look as normal. Next, accept your compulsitivity as God's plan for you to work on it and grow. finally, make sure never to act upon a look, or to elongate a look as much as possible.
ACCEPTANCE of our defect or struggle is a huge key here to lowering our stress about looking, and it only drives us to look more and more. loweringthat stress through acceptance makes it alot easier to deal with.

so the next time a desire to look comes, accept it. and decide also not to act on it. by doing so, it helps us to escape 12 hours a day of preoccupation about our problem, and helps us deal better with the problem and the here and now.

i know people who have tried this acceptance and reduced their stress about looking signifacantly.
AC9

This is powerful stuff. It's something that I have come to realize myself, that obsessing about not looking makes me want to look more. And that I have to accept that even wanting to look at what I am attracted to, is normal, FOR ME. It's how Hashem made me and I can't allow myself to feel guilty over it. I have no bechira over the "first look". It's what I do afterwards that counts.

- General Grant

Re: hello my friends.... 04 Jul 2012 13:26 #140884

• addictioncounselor
kal hakavod

Re: hello my friends.... 19 Jul 2012 14:12 #141992

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
Hello again my friends....

Today is a double milestone for me. It is day 90 on the WOH. And it was exactly one year ago that I made my first post here.

I'm not even sure what to call it... a Birthday? Anniversary? Yohrtzet? Siyum? In some ways it feels like all of those...

But I am so grateful to Hashem for bringing me this far, and to all His holy messengers here who travel with me and help me along the way. It's been a bumpy, rocky, muddy, sticky, twisty road, and will probably continue to be so. But it's the right road, the road up, the one He wants me to be on. May we be Zoche to continue to truck onwards...

Gevura!

- General Grant

Re: hello my friends.... 19 Jul 2012 14:20 #141993

Mazal Tov GSY!

I wasn't really counting, but now that you mention, I see that my first GYE post was on April 19, where I admitted defeat in my personal affairs and started the GYE forum approach. B"H it has been with hatzlacha, so I join you this week in celebrating 90 days.

May we and all the chevra have continued siyata dishmaya...

MT

Re: hello my friends.... 19 Jul 2012 18:23 #142022

• rt
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Gold Boarder
Mazal Tov Gevura ! : )

Nu, how does it feel like, to be sober 90 days? i forgot it already.

have fun in going further ; )

May we and all the chevra have continued siyata dishmaya

AMEN.

P.S. BTW, Gevura, how about to be my sponsor????????????? contact me.

Re: hello my friends.... 19 Jul 2012 19:10 #142031

• AlexEliezer
  • Platinum Boarder
[size=36pt]OWWWSOMME!!

Re: hello my friends.... 19 Jul 2012 19:35 #142036

• chaimcharlie
  • Current streak: 10 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Mazel TOv, Gevura and MT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes