Welcome, Guest

How to Surrender?
(0 viewing) 
This section will include threads that relate to the 12-step group support program.
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to Surrender? 798 Views

How to Surrender? 20 May 2020 16:24 #350081

• yosef10
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Gold Boarder
Imposter this in my own forum, but didn't really get responses... I thought it would be a helpful question so I made a separate forum.}}}}

Not sure if I should make another topic for this, I guess we'll see where it goes... I'm curious about, to those who seem to know this well are SAA participants, what it really means "to surrender"?

So far, and again I'm no bukee so this may be waaaaaay off, of what I have understood is that it the belief and understanding that it is Hashem who creates and controls everything, my thoughts/feelings/urges included. Since he is the driver, it is on,y He who can really bring me to a state in which I feel more comfortable (whether it be urges, stress, anxiety, etc.) and for me to push it off, or even to fight it head on will inevitably lead to a failed attempt at keeping my cool... Because in the end of the day who's gonna win... Me or my thoughts (which are brought on by Hashem). I therefore must accept the fact that, especially in a moment that I'm am struggling with any life experience, that it is Hashem who brought me here, and it is Hashem who can bring me out. Essentially in doing this, I am giving over the struggle to Hashem and putting it out of my hands and into his, because to do otherwise is truly nonsense. 

The he result of these beleifs and thought processes eventually lead me to a place where I have no control, and whatever thoughts and feelings come in, come and go, and at that point, as there passing by, I shouldn't judge them as good or bad. 

This is will bring me to being calm and more present. 
-----------------------
Again, I'm not sure if any of this really holds true, this is just really a compilation of my thoughts of what I have picked up from others who have went to SAA on GYE over the years... But I could be totally off. 

If if there's anyone who can correct the flaws, or reset them all together, I would really appreciate that. To also hear of some exercises to do so when I'm in "that moment of struggle" I can use that tool to help me get by.
"Sometimes the only Bechira we have is to ask for help"

Maybe you can gain something by following my journey... Or not, whatever works
MY Forum

Re: How to Surrender? 15 Jun 2020 18:09 #351250

• Snowflake
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Gold Boarder
I second your disclaimer, I'm no boki either, and would love to hear everyone's opinion. On my very limited understanding, surrendering is far from a passive step. It's very active actually.
Installing a filter is surrendering. Comes from the belief/fact that I am not capable of holding a smartphone in my hand and not looking at shmutz. Ergo I need the filter, and I surrender to an external power.
Opening up to someone is surrendering. It is a bit humilating if you think about it, to admit that I have to talk to someone about my shortcomings. It's a belief that I can't do it by myself. It's surrendering too.
Even shmiras eyinaim is some sort of surrendering if you think about it. Someone might think to himself, I'm a strong guy I can watch a movie with explicit scenes and not act out or even look at an improperly dressed woman. By not looking you're surrendering, you're telling yourself, no I can't and thus, again surrendering.
In my opinion, surrendering is taking active steps to prevent getting into situations where things can go out of hand. For an alcoholic perhaps it may mean not taking the first sip, or even not going to a bar.
But again, I would love to hear other opinions as well as if what I said make sense.
Great topic, I really want to learn more about the 12 steps for SA.
אם יהיו חטאיכם כשנים, כשלג ילבינו

Re: How to Surrender? 16 Jun 2020 01:42 #351271

• yosef10
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for the input. 
If your interested in the 12 steps 2 things I suggest. 
Lim in the middle of a great book called Waking Up Just In Time by Rav Dr. Twersky. It simplifies the 12 steps and even shows how we can apply them to every aspect of our lives, a helpful book to even non addicts. There are cute illustrations and a lot of insightful thoughts. 
The second is that if you look on the bottom of the GYE page, you'll see12 step program, click at, and there's a set of Dov going through the steps in a couple of sessions. Gold. But give yourself sometime to listen, a lot of good info in between the lines. 
"Sometimes the only Bechira we have is to ask for help"

Maybe you can gain something by following my journey... Or not, whatever works
MY Forum

Re: How to Surrender? 03 Sep 2020 21:39 #354575

• barber
  • Current streak: 1503 days
  • Junior Boarder

I’m very new to recovery and a real sexohalic and i need impotent more input on how to surrender, so i ask the older members to please add input.

according to what i understand the surrender is a shot gun for step 1-2-3
so i have to know that I’m really out of control and I’m powerless over the temptation and I’m totally unmanageable I’m totally lost and then i still believe Hashem can help me so i feel lost and in the same time like i cry to Hashem please help me because I’m lost but you can help me. 

Then if the temptation don’t calm down i call a fellow to say that I’m tempted and i can’t do anything so now you did suppress your ego a little bit and then it easier to cry Hashem help me and the fellow member can help me.

The same is with a meeting I say for everybody I’m lost and i say where I’m lost and i have no control of myself please Hashem help me.

When i say Hashem help me then I have to feel like connecting to Hashem from the bottom of my heart.

let’s say yesterday i woke up with the feeling of numbness and i felt I’m not afraid of what will happen to me today, i went to daven i was totally disconnected and start saying words but nothing worked for me i felt the addiction is taking me over but when i got to shomia tafilo i said Hashem put me in fire put me in water but please give me sobriety and i want sobriety in my head too i couldn’t take it i started to cry and i couldn’t hold it back but i tried to stop crying but this triggered me to cry much more, i know people are laughing from my crying but i couldn’t do any think, but afterword’s i felt that i got back my feeling of powerlessness and i hade a much easier day then of what i thought of.

Again if any older member can come in and explain this to me i would greatly appreciate 

sorry that English is not my first language

Re: How to Surrender? 08 Nov 2022 17:22 #387433

Surrender means to give up control over your desires. You need to believe that you cannot control the fact that you are triggered or have desires. The only thing you do control is what you do now that you have a desire.

Re: How to Surrender? 29 Apr 2023 13:16 #395115

• misgaber96
  • Current streak: 715 days
  • Expert Boarder
I surrender by speaking to Hashem saying "I surrender" or "I am powerless". I speak out what I want and daaven for that person. I share with another sober member the situation. 
An example now, I surrender, Hashem please bless her, Hashem help me, (usually this is enough, if not...) Hashem I want to.... talk to... touch... have sex with... be honest how I am feeling. Then I ask Hashem what is the right thing to do... (lately the answer has been to call someone) talk it out with a sober member and then it is done.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes