Welcome, Guest

New GYE Whatsapp Support Group
(0 viewing) 
This board is for the webmaster of GYE to make important announcements.

Feel free to comment UNDER the announcements, but new threads are not allowed in this board.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 1862 Views

New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 09:44 #367548

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days

Wouldn't it be great to have a Whatsapp group where you could reach out for help 24 hours a day, or post chizuk - just like on the GYE forums and chat rooms?

We just launched a GYE Whatsapp group where you can:

• Connect with others and get out of isolation,
  • Have some accountability with your fellow members
  • Reach out for help in a "weak moment" and get instant chizuk
  • Share inspiring memes, short video clips and articles.
  • Give chizuk to others

We hope to have be"h a few moderators as well, who can help with chizuk and support.

DISLAIMER: Whatsapp is less anonymous than the GYE forum and chat-rooms. People can see your phone number, and often your name and picture can come up as well. To help protect everyone, we will only allow verified GYE members to join.

If you're ready to take your recovery up a notch and join, send an email to gyewhatsapp@gmail.com with the word "Join" in the subject with your phone number (with the country code) and your GYE username in the body of the email.

See here for terms and conditions.

Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 14:16 #367551

• grant400
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I have an idea unrelated to this. Many people probably don't want to receive the daily chizuk via WhatsApp due to privacy concerns and they can't open the emails (like me). Is it possible to start posting the daily videos and inspiration on a WhatsApp status?

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 15:10 #367552

• zedj
  • Current streak: 14 days
  • Platinum Boarder
The daily boosts are sent through a business account so as far as I understand only the one running the account sees your nnumber.
Did you mean privacy concerns from your end?

One who has given up hope is without a G‑d.

One who sees hope in each day is already free

Last Edit: 28 Apr 2021 15:13 by zedj.

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 15:46 #367555

• the.guard
Grant400 wrote on 28 Apr 2021 14:16:
I have an idea unrelated to this. Many people probably don't want to receive the daily chizuk via WhatsApp due to privacy concerns and they can't open the emails (like me). Is it possible to start posting the daily videos and inspiration on a WhatsApp status?

Status is like 30 seconds no? so for a 5 min video we would have to cut into 6 pieces?
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 16:43 #367559

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
Zedj wrote on 28 Apr 2021 15:10:
The daily boosts are sent through a business account so as far as I understand only the one running the account sees your nnumber.
Did you mean privacy concerns from your end?

I actually did not know that with a business account nobody can see the number. But what a status accomplishes is that you can mute it so nobody can see that you are following it. On the other hand a group shows up in conversations.

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 16:44 #367560

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
the.guard wrote on 28 Apr 2021 15:46:

Status is like 30 seconds no? so for a 5 min video we would have to cut into 6 pieces?

I believe so.

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 17:31 #367565

• lionking
  • Platinum Boarder
For me the risks and pitfalls of having whatsapp far outweighs any benefits of a support group or daily boost.

Grant, what is wrong with the email? 
Would it help if the boosts are audio files directly attached to the email? How about having the boosts formatted to work with podcast apps, and have it added to YidPod so people can subscribe without having the issue of being able to add explicit podcasts.

Just sharing some ideas.
My email address is: growinghigher613@gmail.com

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 17:32 #367567

• the.guard
Grant400 wrote on 28 Apr 2021 16:44:

I believe so.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 17:42 #367569

• lionking
  • Platinum Boarder
the.guard wrote on 28 Apr 2021 17:32:

Grant400 wrote on 28 Apr 2021 16:44:

I believe so.

Is there an easy way to do this?

ffmpeg is a free open source command line utility which can be programmed to do this easily. Handbrake is a GUI program which you can also split video files based on a criteria. There is also a bunch of programs which can do this as well.

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 17:49 #367570

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
lionking wrote on 28 Apr 2021 17:31:
For me the risks and pitfalls of having whatsapp far outweighs any benefits of a support group or daily boost.

Would it help if the boosts are audio files directly attached to the email? How about having the boosts formatted to work with podcast apps, and have it added to YidPod so people can subscribe without having the issue of being able to add explicit podcasts.

Just sharing some ideas.

I can't open the files such as the video because of a whitelisted browser. 

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 17:58 #367573

• lionking
  • Platinum Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 28 Apr 2021 17:49:

lionking wrote on 28 Apr 2021 17:31:

Just sharing some ideas.

I can't open the files such as the video because of a whitelisted browser. 

Do you have google drive and do those links work?

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 28 Apr 2021 19:58 #367583

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
I do have it but so far hasn't worked for me.

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 29 Apr 2021 01:24 #367611

How about having the boosts formatted to work with podcast apps, and have it added to YidPod so people can subscribe without having the issue of being able to add explicit podcasts.

Would love to see this on YidPod - would also cater to a greater audience without compromising privacy
Think about how good you'll feel if you say no to desire and compare that to how bad you'll feel if you say yes.

Desire is unique in the way that it is never fulfilled -  if you give in the desire comes back even more powerful in just a few days. Telling yourself that its ok because this is really the last time doesn't work because you are just adding new images to your head that will cause future falls.

The Joy of triumph over the yetzer hara is worth the effort it takes to win. It IS worth it! Keep fighting!

My thread: 
Aiming to be better

Feel free to contact me at evedhashem1836@gmail.com

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 29 Apr 2021 04:27 #367631

• lionking
  • Platinum Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 28 Apr 2021 19:58:
I do have it but so far hasn't worked for me.

I think I know what the issue is. 
Android tries to open supported links using the apps that are registered to handle those links. 
Due to the fact that the email newsletter gets sent out using a mass mailer. The link gets formatted with a tracking link that reroutes to Google Drive.

For example (from todays broadcast) instead of:
drive.google.com/file/d/1oVvrj-3OwfTwuGnZmv25tXxtFLvbFeNZ/view
the link is:
r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001o7N0HhANjfJiIEWA_ku8DtjAwyA4fhytRCwf3VjynC2QJpSCKjk0IEldz6_ytmAVZLLW8I_tYTGL0oRMjmGgu9SuPoa7kF7Tl4zfwgvkjD4a4QnDisnIi8Hkejc6B0bKJvzCmza5e6dMzPe3rsOptK9WJ00ZQnrAyF0LrKPMHJ2_oa97qz-K2tHlGsy41kTfJ033_Oc6cJ0ewvolHi5w_fsTQGwxDZf4Rmu3IPHAruA=&c=CbKSzlPkTrbiytEb8bYP8B2ikeoOrU2vdL0Z-4Oefx7GoCuD9d-NvA==&ch=16mjxiToe5_h9Zhx1vMMwsKVtYMHPH7DIgSdBXsGDp_FLSp8h9waCg==

Either GYE can edit that and put in the full google drive link, or you can use an app called bURLy: apkpure.com/burly-browser-chooser/com.shadowburst.burly
Which can process the redirect for you.

Hatzlacha

Re: New GYE Whatsapp Support Group 29 Apr 2021 04:57 #367635

• lionking
  • Platinum Boarder
EvedHashem1836 wrote on 29 Apr 2021 01:24:

How about having the boosts formatted to work with podcast apps, and have it added to YidPod so people can subscribe without having the issue of being able to add explicit podcasts.

Would love to see this on YidPod - would also cater to a greater audience without compromising privacy

The first step is getting the site podcast friendly, so that iTunes or other Podcasting software can access it.
Here is a tutorial explaining the process: itconnect.uw.edu/learn/workshops/online-tutorials/web-publishing/podcastingvodcasting-distributing-your-audio-and-video-files-via-the-web-part-i/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.68 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes