Welcome, Guest

Been there done that... not really
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Been there done that... not really 18052 Views

Re: Been there done that... not really 17 Mar 2011 17:12 #101313

• geshertzarmeod
  • Current streak: 2245 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Like a bridge over troubled water.
great idea!
ישראל אע"פ שחטא ישראל הוא
If you're connected above, you won't fall down below - Reb Shlomo
ולבי חלל בקרבי
לולא האמנתי לראות בטוב ה' בארץ חיים
Last Edit: by .

Re: Been there done that... not really 17 Mar 2011 21:04 #101336

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
geshertzarmeod wrote on 17 Mar 2011 14:13:

PS its funny that every person I met on the trip, I thought to myself, I wonder if he's on the forum. Maybe I should introduce myself as geshertzarmeod and see his reaction. Then I chickened out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GuardYourEyes Chizuk E-Mail (No. 792)

Getting stronger every day!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday  ~ 29 Sivan, 5770  ~  June 11, 2010

Testimonial of the Day

GYE = Loving All Yidden

By "Yosef Hatzadik"

A while ago I noticed that GYE is helping my Ahavas Yisroel. How? Well, I know that the vast majority of GYE'ers don't come from the same background as I do. They aren't part of the same segment of Klal Yisroel as I am. Since my only connection with them is through striving toward a shared goal, there is only love in my heart toward them. Then, upon meeting Yidden from other segments, like the Modern-Orthodox community, etc. I found myself thinking, "Who knows if this guy isn't one of my friends from GYE?" This thought expanded into liking those Yidden too!

Recently I started thinking, why should this love only extend towards people who are more modern than me? Why not also in the other direction? With this thought, I started thinking that I ought to love those ultra chasidishe people who I disliked for their closed mindedness, etc.. (Most people tend to think of themselves as well balanced. Anyone who does more than me is overdoing it; whoever does less than me in avodas Hashem is slacking off, C"V :-))

Thank you for this added benefit of Ahavas Yisrael that I received through your holy work!

yechida wrote on 22 Oct 2009 16:17:

you are a Yid

that is what you are

the terms in boxes are stupid

be the best you can be

and you can be

and you will be

you are not separated even as you separate because you are a Yid that has goodness in him that will come out.

in my own weird way I feel like I belong nowhere because I feel different

but I also belong everywhere because I'm part of this great nation

true a nation that can drive it's Father into great frustration at times.

but a nation that is His--forever

guardureyes wrote on 22 Oct 2009 20:40:

no place for non-haredi jews?  Well then I'd better get out of here then too!!!

Holy Yid posted not long ago:

My new friends here have added so much to my life. You have changed how I view the world. Unfortunately many of us make judgments about other Jews based on their clothing or other shallow criteria. I know that the peolpe on this site are from all the different 'kinds' of observant Yiddeshkiett. I feel allot of warmth for many people here for all the help they have given me. Since I do not know who you really are when I walk down the street and see someone different than myself  I wonder maybe they are one of the people I care so much about and who have given me so much. These thought have forced me to reassess how I look at the whole idea that there are fractions of Frum Yiddishkeitt.

habib613 wrote on 23 Oct 2009 04:36:

it doesn't matter where you came from, or who you are, or whether you wear a black hat or a sroogy or a suede kippa or a shtreimel.
and it doesn't make a diff to anyone that R' B and EL and chassidish and that others are sphardi and yet others are yeshivish, and others are chardal, others are dati, others are who knows what.

Great mind think alike!  :D

Re: Been there done that... not really 18 Mar 2011 00:07 #101347

• geshertzarmeod
  • Platinum Boarder
Just wanted to say...
THANK YOU GUARD!!!!
Here I am jet lagged, awake by myself with nothing to do. and I am able to stay clean! Because I have somewhere to go...
GYE
ולבי חלל בקרבי

Re: Been there done that... not really 20 Mar 2011 00:41 #101411

• geshertzarmeod
  • Platinum Boarder
Shabbos was beautiful! couldnt sleep all night (jet lag) spent several hours discussing hashkafa with some young ladies, without being distracted by obvious distractions. Kept my eyes where they belonged, in their sockets. learning 2 mikra 1 targum, davened kvasikin and then went ot sleep in the morning.
Commited myself to meeting these ladies once a week to discuss the hashkafa inyonim further. My wife guarantees me that they will dress appropriately. I just have to control Mr. Fantasia, who knows how to package these things so that the damage isnt b'shaas maaseh with looking but later on when I cant fall asleep. Please HKBH, Im doing your ratzon! Dont let me be influenced, affected, infected, while doing the mitzvah of kiruv. Chevra daven for me.
Part of our discussion was about developing a relationship with HKBH and how we have to thank him for everything, even the challenges and difficulties, because they are there to bring us closer to HKBH. I never really understood that concept until my experience here on GYE. I always thought, incorrectly, that when I on target Im connected and when Im not , Im not. I know realize, and am working on internalized, that we are always connected. Sometimes through positive experiences and sometimes thru negative experiences. But HKBH never lets go. He's always there for us. I would never had reached this realization if I hadnt been so stuck in the muck of this YH. So yes, although I cant believe Im saying it, I thank HKBH for this challenge/addiction/tendency/YH/whatever. Im now working on developing my relationship with Him in ways that I never would have known. Im not there yet, but thats the direction.
ולבי חלל בקרבי

Re: Been there done that... not really 21 Mar 2011 15:45 #101459

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
geshertzarmeod wrote on 20 Mar 2011 00:41:

I thank HKBH for this challenge/addiction/tendency/YH/whatever. Im now working on developing my relationship with Him in ways that I never would have known. Im not there yet, but thats the direction.

beautiful!
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Been there done that... not really 25 Mar 2011 12:45 #102031

• geshertzarmeod
  • Platinum Boarder
Sorry I havent posted here in a while, got a little bored with it. founnd more interest in posting by others. Anyhow just wanted to share a L'chayim with you guys. This Shabbos marks 40 days! So when I drink L'chayim this shabbos I'll be thinking of all my friends here in GYE.
Thank you and chazak ve'ematz!
ולבי חלל בקרבי

Re: Been there done that... not really 25 Mar 2011 16:08 #102044

• Rising Up
  • Current streak: 122 days
  • Platinum Boarder
L'Chaim!!!!!!

Re: Been there done that... not really 25 Mar 2011 16:22 #102049

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
לחיים טובים ולשלום
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Been there done that... not really 25 Mar 2011 20:10 #102069

have a good shabbos. keep on fighting the good fight.

Re: Been there done that... not really 26 Mar 2011 19:18 #102085

• geshertzarmeod
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks 4 the good wishes
Shabbos was nice, I used 40 days as a time to take stock of where Im holding, but I realized that I need some advice.
My main problem comes from fantasizing, especially at night as Im trying to fall asleep. I try to think of things that will keep my mind off my stress. In the past the easiest thing was lusting thoughts, which inevitably caused problems. Oy, how many convoluted ways Ive developed to say that the thoughts were mutar, becuase I would create situation in which there was nothing wrong with it. Stupid. Lusting is gonna cause problems whether or not the act your thinking about is mutar or not! I have GYE to thank for that realization. Anyhow Im left now with a problem, what types of things can i think about that will help me fall asleep? Any suggestions? And I dont want to hear about counting sheep!
ולבי חלל בקרבי

Re: Been there done that... not really 26 Mar 2011 23:19 #102096

• ben durdayah
  • Current streak: 49 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No, that is not a mouse...
Think about anything you want, But No Green Elephants!

E
For Dov and the other two guys who care,
My real name really is
 Eli
Like the original Bendy, Ein hadavar talui ela bee

Re: Been there done that... not really 27 Mar 2011 01:57 #102101

• realsimcha
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Everyone is different but a few ideas:
- Think about a gift or card that you will get for your wife. Compose the letter, decide what you should get. Where, when and how. How you will surprise her. How happy she will be.
- Close your eyes. Pick a memory. A really nice one. Play it in your mind like a movie. Remember evey detail. When was it? What was the weather? Was it indoors [your wedding, a siyum, a great vacation, etc] what did the room look like? What did it smell like? Who was there? Etc. you'll  fall asleep before you are done.

I hope this is not what you meant when your said not to tell yuo about counting sheep. But do me a favor. Try it. Then we'll see if its the same as counting sheep.

Re: Been there done that... not really 27 Mar 2011 03:13 #102108

well whenever i can't get my mind to cool down or i want to fall asleep, I simply go into fantasy land and make up a scenarios where I am in control of an technology advanced civilization (which has no women in it) is at war another civilization. Put ur self as the hero of ur clan and let ur mind take control of the rest. its been working for me for like 4 years now. I get really into it and it either leads into a dream or i tire myself out from thinking to much and just fall asleep.

good luck..

Re: Been there done that... not really 27 Mar 2011 12:19 #102134

• geshertzarmeod
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, certainly those suggestions are better than counting sheep. BD, what if the green elephants are disguised as sheep?
ולבי חלל בקרבי

Re: Been there done that... not really 27 Mar 2011 12:51 #102136

• ben durdayah
  • Current streak: 49 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No, that is not a mouse...
Oh silly Gesher!  :

That could never happen!

What elephant -let alone a green one -could fit into the sheep costume?

His nose would stick out right away!
:D
For Dov and the other two guys who care,
My real name really is
 Eli
Like the original Bendy, Ein hadavar talui ela bee

Time to create page: 0.62 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes