Welcome, Guest

Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 75642 Views

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 01 Dec 2011 17:05 #127404

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Thanks, Inspiring!
Last Edit: by .

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 01 Dec 2011 20:21 #127449

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Elyah, getting better involves so much work, but when you actually do it, it's so rewarding you could kick yourself thinking why didn't I do this years ago.  Thanks again for the inspiration to get working. 
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 02 Dec 2011 07:11 #127488

• Blind Beggar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Not a sexaholic, just trying to be good.

I saw this post a few days ago. It really is awesome so I am going to quote it for everyone to see again:

Eye.nonymous wrote on 31 Oct 2011 19:47:

I had this image of myself as a decrepit old man, sitting all alone, hunched over in the dark in front of a computer screen, pathetic, glued to these images.  No real human being in sight--no wife, no kids, no friends.  No life.  Just me and these 2-dimensional images.

The Big Book also points out that addicts have no friends, no life, no connections. The only time I saw someone cry in an SA meeting was when he was trying to say that quote from the Big Book and couldn't get the words out.
The Blind Beggar is a character in Rebbe Nachman's story of the Seven Beggars.
If I view a woman as an object, I am powerless over lust, but I don't have to look.
I can guard my eyes.
I want to guard my eyes.
I do guard my eyes.
Why do I say these four lines?

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 02 Dec 2011 14:51 #127510

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Actively seeking connections to people has been the single most helpful thing for me.

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 02 Dec 2011 15:48 #127520

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
wow, that is sobering
thank you Elyah, BB and Gibbor
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 02 Dec 2011 15:56 #127524

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 02 Dec 2011 15:48:

wow, that is sobering

Thank you!  You're one of the special people!

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 02 Dec 2011 16:31 #127527

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
gibbor120 wrote on 02 Dec 2011 15:56:

ZemirosShabbos wrote on 02 Dec 2011 15:48:

wow, that is sobering

Thank you!  You're one of the special people!

Thank you  :-[ : :o :D ;D
it takes one to know one
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 04 Dec 2011 12:46 #127602

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Our oldest son (10) has been misbehaving lately.  Every morning he had become hostile towards all his siblings, and chutzpa-dik towards my wife.  My wife and I were fretting what to do about this.  We had sent him to bed early one night because of this, but it didn't make a difference.

We were contemplating other punishments--early bedtime for a week?  Don't let him ride his bike for a week?  I thought I would try to get an answer from my Higher Power, something I'm trying to get more into the habit of doing.  I sat quietly for a few moments.  The bedtime punishment and the bike punishment didn't seem right.  I'm just trying to exert my will--to control my son, and this tactic, especially for addicts, ends up being self-destructive.

I thought of a book I had read about life-coaching not too long ago.  The premise was, the person being coached ALREADY HAS all the answers inside.  It is not the job of the coach to provide answers, but rather to help the person being coached to discover the answers for himself.  This approach struck me as something I could work with, as something that could be effective and also positive.

I went to the store and got some special treats before my son came home.  Then we sat down together, had this snack together, and shmoozed.  The conversation then went something like this:

ME:  Has anything been going wrong lately?

SON:  Yes--the mornings.

ME:  Has anyone been bothering you?

He then answered, with a little bit of guidance, to go through all his siblings.

ME:  What have they been doing?

He then went through the list, mentioning everything they have been doing that has bothered him.

ME:  Have you been doing something, too, that maybe you shouldn't be doing?

He mentioned his hitting, yelling, and with a little coaxing he also mentioned his chutzpa-dik behavior towards his mother.

ME:  Is there maybe some other way you could react when these people bother you?

I gave him a few ideas to get started--read a book, listen to some music, speak to them nicely to stop whatever they're doing that bothers him.  Then I encouraged him to come up with a few ideas of his own.

It was a positive experience for both of us, and a very mature discussion.  His behavior has dramatically improved since then.

I realized that, technically, in 12 step lingo, I had actually walked him through a 4th and 5th step.

--Elyah

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 04 Dec 2011 14:30 #127605

• Dov
  • Administrator
...this stuff continues and grows, and gets more and more effective every year, iy"H.

Thanks for sharing what is starting to happen to your family.
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 05 Dec 2011 11:09 #127687

That is truly amazing elyah. it highlights how our acting out spans out all around us and effects so many people, particularly our family.

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 05 Dec 2011 13:46 #127706

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
an honest mouse wrote on 05 Dec 2011 11:09:

That is truly amazing elyah. it highlights how our acting out spans out all around us and effects so many people, particularly our family.

...and our recovery, too!

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 05 Dec 2011 22:52 #127775

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
what a beautiful and inspiring post Elyah.

thank you for sharing that
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 06 Dec 2011 17:05 #127836

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
This past Friday and Shabbos I was feeling not so good inside.  I happened to hop onto the Duvid Chaim call on Thursday, though I haven't been on in a long time.  He told someone who was having difficulties, "...when we get further along the program, I'll be telling you to take a 4th step inventory to deal with that."

Then, with all these negative feelings, I figured that's what I ought to be doing.

I'm weak on sharing these inventories with other people, but I made a point motzei Shabbos to make an inventory right away and share it with a fellow I know in the program.  It was very productive, and I felt I was in a much healthier place afterwards.

I told my wife what happened and she said, "I didn't notice anything was wrong."

On Sunday afternoon I was working on my computer and I thought I ran into another loop-hole in my filter.  At the time I wasn't tempted by it.  I know if I had not done the recovery work on motzei shabbos, I would have slipped or fallen.

Last night I had a dream that I was faced with temptation.  In the dream I was thinking, "If I go through with this, I'll lose my sobriety," and then I stopped.  I guess I can take that as a sign that this recovery stuff truly is affecting my insides.

--Elyah

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 06 Dec 2011 17:27 #127838

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
GREAT! KOT!

Re: Eye.nonymous (Elyah) official count 08 Dec 2011 15:00 #128094

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
Here's something I've been meaning to share:

About 3 weeks ago, on a Wednesday afternoon (you'll see why this is relevant soon) I took a trip to a government building on Rechov Yaffo.  They were supposed to be opened Monday and Wednesday afternoons, but according to their new hours (posted on their door but not on their Web Site), they are only open on Tuesday afternoons.  As a direct result of the 12-step workshop, I was particularly aware of my tendency "not to make the best of things."  I could have, after an hour and a half of travel, just turned around and went home--feeling that I had wasted the whole afternoon.  Instead, I thought, "I was going to be here for a couple of hours anyways.  I"m only a few minutes away from the Old City, by foot.  I might as well make the most of this and go to the Kotel."  I even got a little adventurous and went to King David's tomb--I have never gone there even though I have been living in Israel for nearly 17 years and I even spent a year living in the Old City.  I had no idea where it was.  I said Tehillim at David's tomb, then went to the Kotel for Ma'ariv and to say a few personal prayers, and then I came home.

I made the most out of it, and instead of coming home grumpy and complaining, I was happy and I had an adventure to share with my family.

This is part 1 of this story...

--Elyah

Time to create page: 0.63 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes