Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Zemmy's story 107032 Views

Re: Zemmy's story 21 Nov 2011 08:17 #126195

• 1daat
  • Current streak: 126 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Yosef Hatzadik wrote on 16 Nov 2011 22:01:

I am insulted!!  > > >

You couldn't find anything better to say about me?!?! 

Totally cracking me up.

Hey Zem,  Thanks backatcha
Last Edit: by .

Re: Zemmy's story 21 Nov 2011 19:14 #126265

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
two thoughts buzzing around my mind lately.

one is that the RBSO does not need my help. even if i worry about the economy, middle east peace, occupy wall street, world population, chinese military prowess, iranian dinner jackets and other sundry problems it won't help Him much. so i should quit whitewashing my scalp by worrying. right?

two is about what we say in davening many times how the RBSO is 'avinu av harachaman', our loving merciful Father. the other day i was davening and had a mental misfire. i was trying to imagine a loving father and i couldn't come up with the right picture. which led me to question how i was supposed to relate to the RBSO as a father-son if i cannot find the correct mashal and example in my life. then it occurred to me that just as we say והשיב לב אבות על בנים ולב בנים על אבותם, sometimes the process starts with the kids and sometimes with the parents. maybe i need to start with my kids. and be a father to them such that they - and i - can use the image to conjure up the meaning of davening when needed.
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 21 Nov 2011 19:22 #126268

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Nice thoughts ZS.

If you are a rabbi tatz fan, there is a great one about the eisav vs yishmael personality (we all have a dominant side).  It relates to the first thing you said, worrying about world news.  I also have thought for a while, you might like it, if you like personality type stuff.  It explains a lot.

I have another comment on the davening front.  Maybe I'll post a bit later.

Re: Zemmy's story 21 Nov 2011 22:51 #126298

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
sounds great gibbor, any idea where i can get that shiur from R' Tatz?
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 22 Nov 2011 18:21 #126356

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I think I know someone that can send it to you .

Re: Zemmy's story 22 Nov 2011 20:28 #126378

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Adlai Stevenson?
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 22 Nov 2011 20:37 #126379

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
You are sending hidden messages.

see this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adlai_Stevenson_I

Stevenson was admitted to the bar in 1858, at age 23, and commenced practice in Metamora, in Woodford County, Illinois.

No joke. wow!

Re: Zemmy's story 23 Nov 2011 16:50 #126442

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
no hidden messages intended just a plain old joke, but woodford is always nice

i listened to the shiur you very kindly sent and it is great! thank you very much for sending it.
(basic synopsis: Naaseh ve'Nishma, practical action vs. meditative reflection, sensitivity and appreciation of beauty vs. drive and determination to implement, Esav vs. Yishma'el. male and female. Torah and mitzvos. in spirituality, personalities and in the world.)
i searched online for a copy but could not find it. it may well be in one of his books.
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 23 Nov 2011 16:55 #126447

• Jackabbey
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
zemmy, did you learn "chovos halevovos" recently?

Re: Zemmy's story 23 Nov 2011 16:57 #126449

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
no  :-[

is it showing?
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 23 Nov 2011 17:03 #126453

• Jackabbey
  • Platinum Boarder
you wouldnt question if hashems loving you
if you or anyone is seeking for profound advice to keep mindtracked in these troublesome times, they should study chovos halvovos daily in order

Re: Zemmy's story 23 Nov 2011 17:17 #126459

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 23 Nov 2011 16:50:

i searched online for a copy but could not find it. it may well be in one of his books.

I originally got it from simpletoremember.com.  I always forget the name .  I looked for it also, and couldn't find it, so I just emailed it.  I don't think it's up there any more, but they still do have a lot of his stuff.  I don't know how many people are familiar with rav aharon lopiansky, but he has a lot of good stuff on torahlectures.com, here's his page torahlectures.com/c-125.aspx .

Re: Zemmy's story 23 Nov 2011 17:46 #126475

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
gibbor120 wrote on 23 Nov 2011 17:17:

I don't know how many people are familiar with rav aharon lopiansky, but he has a lot of good stuff on torahlectures.com, here's his page torahlectures.com/c-125.aspx .

thanks for the link to rav lopiansky!

Shmeichel wrote on 23 Nov 2011 17:03:

you wouldnt question if hashems loving you
if you or anyone is seeking for profound advice to keep mindtracked in these troublesome times, they should study chovos halvovos daily in order

point well-taken. thank you!
just to clarify, my issue was not to question if Hashem loves me, though i do welcome any and every assertion of that love, rather i was seeking a concrete illustration of a father-son relationship to use as a springboard for visualizing how the RBSO is our loving father.

recently learned in Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh vol.2 about the difference between what we know in our mind to what we feel in our heart and the great distance between them. he compares it to a father teaching his young son. even though the father's intellect is way above the child's level the father will repeat and clarify a simple idea on the child's terms. so too, we need to 'talk' to our inner child in simple basic language, not with the sophisticated and clever ideas that is often so much more appealing. and the key is to review these basic ideas often, in contrast to a natural desire to always seek a new and novel idea.
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 23 Nov 2011 18:00 #126482

• Jackabbey
  • Platinum Boarder
there is a major difference between learning missur and learning hashkofo!
missur is adjustmants to your behavier
hashkofo is rather laying foundations, giving you the correct "mind concept"
chovos halvovos is the father of MOST hashkofo seforim, its also the MAIN SOURCE for most yidishe therapists

Re: Zemmy's story 23 Nov 2011 19:48 #126530

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 23 Nov 2011 17:46:

we need to 'talk' to our inner child in simple basic language, not with the sophisticated and clever ideas that is often so much more appealing. and the key is to review these basic ideas often, in contrast to a natural desire to always seek a new and novel idea.

Now that's novel .
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes