Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Zemmy's story 107016 Views

Re: Zemmy's story 27 Sep 2011 22:21 #120585

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
"btw, i thought vodka was more popular at chasidisher farbrengens"
yeah, haintige doir.....
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.
Last Edit: by .

Re: Zemmy's story 27 Sep 2011 23:54 #120600

• 1daat
  • Current streak: 126 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Time to thank Zem.    eyn miliim.  eyn anu maspikim...  Thank you for the joy, the fun, the divrei torah and for you. K'siva v'chasima tova.

Re: Zemmy's story 28 Sep 2011 13:56 #120634

• Back on Track
I second that motion. And thanks for bardmart, and guardmart. I think we gotta start a thread for 'the keepers'. The real gye moments... Ah whatever. A gut yahr !

Re: Zemmy's story 28 Sep 2011 14:10 #120636

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
1daat, thank you for your kind words and brachos. i learn a lot from you. a ksiva vechaima tova, may blessings, happiness and growth come your way

BOT, a gut yahr to you too! see you in GuardMart
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 28 Sep 2011 14:19 #120637

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
ur-a-jew wrote on 26 Sep 2011 22:17:

ZemirosShabbos wrote on 26 Sep 2011 20:09:
our job is to find the meaning and the relevance in the words and they go from being a burden to being a joy

I was originally going to post this on the chizzuk tefillah thread but it seemed timely here.  Also I wanted post 1144 to be on your thread.

This past shabbos I asked my family who knows what והחליצנו means? or  נערצך?  Going around the table including adult guests no one knew.  I then asked them imagine that a king asked them to carry out something and they returned to the king and told him "mutatis mutandis.  To which they responded "huh" and I said well actually the King said that same thing, what does that mean?  If you responded, "I don't know," what do you think the King's response would be?  Some agreed that "off with your head" where certainly within the range of possibilities, even though the response was a valid response to the King's question.  If you talk to the King and have no idea what you are saying, it's a problem.  Given that there are 3 meals per week that we say והחליצנו that's over 150 times we bentched and didn't know what we were saying.  Unfortunately, we have a lot more than that to do teshuva for, but if we don't want our davening to be a burden, probably one thing to do is to figure out what we are saying in the first place.

והחליצנו - "strengthen us"
נערצך - we will revere you
mutatis mutandis - "the necessary changes having been made; having substituted new terms"

thank you UAJ for another great post. with this we can also understand what 'chaim shel chilutz atzomos' means, as well as a'nachnu neichaletz chushim', and 'chalutzim taavru'.

and you reminded me of this story: ZemirosShabbos wrote on 26 Jan 2011 16:14:

there is a story with the Bobover Rebbe R' Shlomo zy'a

A man once came to him crying about his son who had fallen in with some bad friends and all the father's pleas to stay away from them did not get through to his son.

The Rebbe asked the man to bring his son in to talk to him. The Rebbe asked the boy if he knows the meaning of the word "ותמגר", which we say in the bracha of ולמלשינים. The boy had no idea what it meant.

The Rebbe said "I don't know what it means either. But if you look at the words around it - תעקר ותשבר ותכניע  - it seems pretty obvious that it is some type of destruction." The boy got the message.

it took me a awhile, but i finally deciphered the auspiciousness of post 1144. here it is bekitzur: 'ur-a-jew' is "ata yehudi", which is gimatria 441 (like Emes), and if you put 441 together with 1 - for the RBSO (echod yachid umeyuchad), it makes 1144. (for those that did not know yet, UAJ wears a white bekeshe and a white shtreimel and can turn you into a frog if you are not careful, or so the legend has it)

and isn't mutatis mutandis a cousin of Michael Dukakis?
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 28 Sep 2011 14:56 #120643

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 28 Sep 2011 14:19:

it took me a awhile, but i finally deciphered the auspiciousness of post 1144. here it is bekitzur: 'ur-a-jew' is "ata yehudi", which is gimatria 441 (like Emes), and if you put 441 together with 1 - for the RBSO (echod yachid umeyuchad), it makes 1144. (for those that did not know yet, UAJ wears a white bekeshe and a white shtreimel and can turn you into a frog if you are not careful, or so the legend has it)

ולתשובת = 1144 (and for my answer):

You better be careful since the last one that started up with me got turned into a פרח זהב סיר which is begematria 572.  But he completely overshadowed anything that I could even think of, and his golden flower pot took the place of mine 572 x 2 = 1144.

So if you see some guy with a white bekeshe and a golden flower pot on this head singing zemiros, be sure to ask him for a brocha for a sweet and uplifting new year.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Zemmy's story 28 Sep 2011 15:22 #120645

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Since we are on gematria.  I will add a couple I heard recently.
גוף = 89
נשמה = 395
the difference is 306 which is .... דבש.  We use דבש on rosh hashana to raise us up from being preoccupied with our guf to focus on our neshama.  מוסר is also 306 and has the same effect.

One more goodie.
אגוז = 17
חטא = 18
טוב = 17

We know we avoid eating nuts because egoz = chet.  Well egoz = 17 and chet = 18.  It only equals chet by adding 1. egoz = tov exactly, both 17.  Why then do we avoid eating egozim?  We should eat them because they equal tov.  We avoid them because even when there is some tov, we still need to stay far away from chet.  (Add your own lesson here.)

Enjoy yom tov all.

Re: Zemmy's story 28 Sep 2011 16:07 #120654

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
good stuff, gibor!

what about Bill Gates?
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 28 Sep 2011 16:13 #120656

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
ok, ok, at zemmy's request.  When I got the email about the gematria of egoz from a friend, I replied to it.  When I did, my spell check on MS outlook objected and suggested that I substitue the word egos, instead of egoz.  It gave me... well, a new outlook .  A pre-R"H message from the unlikliest of sources.  The source of chet, not the egoz, but the egos!

Re: Zemmy's story 02 Oct 2011 15:58 #120748

• bardichev
zemmy how was your geshtaltzemfleegin dipped in honey? rosh possum?yak tzimmes?im sure u used a loquat for shehechiyanu!

Re: Zemmy's story 02 Oct 2011 22:42 #120781

• Back on Track
I had  woddford. So I would have a year where I would not behave like a ferd.

Re: Zemmy's story 03 Oct 2011 15:08 #120829

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
thank the One Above for His endless kindness to me and mine
yom tov was just fine

we dipped in the honey
and ate sabra for shechiyani

davening was warm
it's finest form

i did feel out of my league
like a gestalzimfleeg

after making kiddush on wine
in der heim

coming back to shul for shofar
feeling not up to par

more like purim
where there are shikurim

the sound of the tekios blew strong
and righted the wrong

yom kippur is the purim-cousin
and thats a dozen

days away
so while i may sway

it'll be shuckling tried and true
like a good jew
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 03 Oct 2011 15:17 #120833

• Jackabbey
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
i like your zmirros
beutifull divrei shires

may hashem give you a good year
for you and everyone overhere

(by the way, isnt it an old gue minhag to dip the geshtalzemfluggen in the honey at night
then at day they fly away with the blowing of the shoffar)

Re: Zemmy's story 03 Oct 2011 15:34 #120837

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
thank you Shmeichel, a good year to you and yours too
filled with nachas through and through

would like share a thought that landed in my head on yom tov.
we say in musaf "Haloch vekarasa be'oznay yerushalayim laimor zacharti lach chesed ne'urayich etc.".

why is it important to specify that the Navi call into the ears of Yerushalayim? why doesn't it just say "lech emor lahem" or something similar.

If an announcement is made to a group of people, an individual in the crowd can feel that it was not directed at him specifically. But if someone leans over and whispers something in my ear there is no mistaking who the recipient of the message is. The RBSO is leaning over and whispering into our ears, each one of us, zacharti lach chesed neurayich ahavas kelulosayich. The RBSO remembers that 'good times' we had together and wants us to return to Him.

Thats on Rosh Hashana.

During aseres yemei teshuvah we ask for the other half of the equation:
Hashem shima bekolee teeyena aznecha kashoovois lekol tachanunoi.
That HKBH should bend over and listen to us. That we feel and believe that He is listening.

And on Sukkos we come to shul every morning and with the daled minim - that symbolize our hearts, eyes, mouths and spines - we sing and thank Hashem for doing just that: ahavti ki yishma Hashem ess koli tachanunoi, ki hita oznoi lee uveyamai ekra.
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Zemmy's story 03 Oct 2011 15:55 #120843

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Thanks ZS for another winner! Beautiful!
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes