Welcome, Guest

Thank you Hashem
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Thank you Hashem 51103 Views

Re: Thank you Hashem 06 Feb 2011 02:31 #95820

• Stuart
Dov, when is the Kidush?
Ur-a-j, I think you derserve to make a kidush too! Continued Hatzlacha!
Last Edit: by .

Re: Thank you Hashem 06 Feb 2011 05:28 #95830

• Dov
  • Administrator
So far it looks like the Shabbos right before R"C Adar Beis, iy"H...and the oilam is invited.
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: Thank you Hashem 07 Feb 2011 17:55 #96009

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
Storytime!!

Rav Dessler Zt"l walked into the Gateshead Kollel Harabonim one morning and informed the first person whom he encountered, "I quit smoking today."

The man wondered why he was being told this information. His amazement increased when he saw the great Rav Dessler walking up to a few other people and making the same pronouncement. Finally, one of the Kollel members gathered his courage and questioned what is the purpose of sharing this information with them?

"It is now my fourth time that I am stopping to smoke!" was the Mashgiach's reply.

"Rav Dessler was a Baal Mussar. He was using one midah to fight another. He was using his Gaavah to help him permanently cease from lighting up again. Now that everyone around him knows, his pride won't allow him to smoke anymore." Such was the commentary that I heard on this story.

Re: Thank you Hashem 08 Feb 2011 16:47 #96192

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Being swamped at work, the usual financial woes, B"H upcoming simcha, cleaning lady quitting, kid issues and sheer exhaustion are all ingredients in the recipe for major RID.  At the suggestion of one of the guys (you know who you are) I made up with my wife to have a 10 minute nightly tea time so we can catch up and she can feel like she's not being neglected. Hope it will work out. But the suggestion alone made my wife happy so I am thankful to Hashem and GYE for that. Makes me want to sing.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Thank you Hashem 08 Feb 2011 22:11 #96249

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
Can we sing along?
Tra La Laa Laaaa

Re: Thank you Hashem 08 Feb 2011 22:22 #96251

• ur-a-jew
  • Platinum Boarder
We only sing Zemiros Shabbos on this thread.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Thank you Hashem 08 Feb 2011 22:26 #96253

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
ouch, my ego is getting all swollen

do you know this song:
ki nafaltea kamtea, ki aishaiv bachoshech hashem ohr li?

p.s. don't forget the crumpets
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Thank you Hashem 08 Feb 2011 23:12 #96258

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
Yosef Hatzadik wrote on 08 Feb 2011 22:11:

Can we sing along?
Tra La Laa Laaaa

Meiein Olam Haabbaaa

Any better?

Re: Thank you Hashem 09 Feb 2011 01:14 #96264

• Dov
  • Administrator
Please stop this stuff. My children are getting annoyed with my weird singing as I follow along with your b umpy words!!

"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: Thank you Hashem 09 Feb 2011 01:46 #96270

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
ur-a-jew wrote on 08 Feb 2011 22:22:

We only sing Zemiros Shabbos on this thread.

We all LOVE ZemirosShabboss!!!

Re: Thank you Hashem 09 Feb 2011 23:41 #96363

• ur-a-jew
  • Platinum Boarder
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 08 Feb 2011 22:26:

do you know this song:
ki nafaltea kamtea, ki aishaiv bachoshech hashem ohr li?

Okay so last night was nafaltea or no-tea.  I feel like I was lucky to make it out alive.  The stress-level is building in the house.  Fortunately, I finished one of the projects I was working on so maybe things will mellow a little, but the major project is still in full force.

What I noticed today is that it seems that alot of guys here these days are stressed out.  Some are skidding on ice, others crashing and other with near misses and alot of RID and street.  Now it can either be just a symptom of if you buy a blue car you start noticing that everyone else has blue cars.  So since I'm stressed out myself I notice everyone else that is too.  But I have a different theory, that in fact more people are stressed out and it has to do with Adar.  It's like Erev Shabbos.  There is so much to be gained spiritually from Shabbos that the Yetzer hora works in overdrive to get us down on Erev shabbos causing us to miss the opportunities of Shabbos.  Adar is a time for simcha, and therefore it is time for extreme spiritual growth.  There is a reason that Yom Kippur is Yom KiPurim.  The Yetzer Hora is therefore intense on preventing us from taking part in that simcha, hence the increased RID these days.  Hashem please help us out and don't let the yetzer hora succeed.  Thank You.

Re: Thank you Hashem 09 Feb 2011 23:59 #96366

• Dov
  • Administrator
Lets let go of 'getting' anything out of Shabbos, Adar, Purim, or anything this year. Instead we can be concerned only with what we contribute, even if it means that we gain nothing spiritually at all, have no schar from any of the mitzvos we do, and feel no simcha from it, at all. Zero.

Try it. Go all the way with it with no expectations. It's a different avodah. A bit nearer to liShma, as far as I am concerned. So there. :-*

These things are all opportunities for becoming pipes for Hashem's hashpo'oh to His people and His world. That's not so bad.

And it is much more fun than being one of the 'main players'...especially just in our own heads!

"We are just bozos on this bus" - Firesign Theatre

Re: Thank you Hashem 14 Feb 2011 03:25 #96813

• 1daat
  • Current streak: 126 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Dov, A few days ago I bought a poor old lady a meal.  I knew I was in trouble immediately when the back patting started. I know, I know, do the mitzvah anyway. 

I'm an addict.  Look at me, still salivating over being so generous.

Do I get to be on the hundred greatest Anavim thread?

There's no "get"-free giving for me yet.

kot

Re: Thank you Hashem 15 Feb 2011 04:03 #96980

• Dov
  • Administrator
Join the club, join the club.

But this is the point, and avodah in yiddishkeit is filled with this idea:

Just cuz you are not holding by something is no excuse not to keep walking in that direction. If you keep walking in the right direction you will get somewhere. If you stop walking, you will get nowhere, no matter why you are stopping.

That's humble progress.

Re: Thank you Hashem 15 Feb 2011 19:38 #97075

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
a-jew wants to know where u r...
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes