Welcome, Guest

Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 20137 Views

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 12 Nov 2010 05:33 #84543

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
1daat, your candid and open post is a pleasure to read. you are walking the walk, not just talking the talk. i really respect you for your honesty, searching, and progress. you inspire me.

about 'real life', if you were referring to what i wrote, all i meant was real insofar as on GYE we hide behind screen names and you only know what we choose to report in our own hand by posting. no body language, outside observation, facial expression and external verification. for all you know my name is John McKain and i live in New Delhi. the words and feelings conveyed here can sometimes be more true and more pronounced than when they are conveyed in the 'real world', because of the complexity of 'real life' relationships, which inhibits the raw emotions manifesting. but that itself is the crux of it. opening up and being honest in 'real life' can be harder that here on GYE. it can be a beginning, though, for a path of honesty in 'real life'.
does that make sense? if not just ignore it, only trying to help.

zemmy, ceo of the clown thread
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ
Last Edit: by .

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 12 Nov 2010 06:06 #84551

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
1daat wrote on 12 Nov 2010 03:33:

.......But here's the good stuff:  I am about being close to Hashem waaaay more than ever before.  I talk to Him a lot since my "coming clean".  I talk to Him totally differently know.  No more dramatics.  Just work, avoida.  Chassidus, mussar, longer talks with the rav.  Kavannah without so much patting myself on the back with how much kavahnah I have.

I'm handling my IRS problems.  It turns I can document everything they've challenged and I'll probably end up owing them a lot less.

I've been dealing with the attorney, Kaiser not wanting to write me a letter, all about my upcoming board hearing.  I haven't gotten freaked out (B"H).  A few times I got pretty frightened, and I went back to basics and was able to just trust Him that He'll take care of this for me one way or another but that it will always be for the good.

I've been talking with my older son (not the one I was mean to)in Spain for very long conversations (skype).  When I told him about how my younger son and I had had our heart to heart, he got kind of chocked up and said how totally happy that made him, and how he knew things would work out.

I'm learning more and more often.

AND I'VE STAYED CLEAN THROUGH IT ALL.  I know how we so often say Bezras Hashem.  But that's stopped being a concept.  If He's not around I get scared.  Let me rephrase that (cuz I ain't erasing it).  When I go away and don't feel Him there and taking care of things, I feel scared.  I guess it's histarta panecha hayiti nephal. that's an in my face reality now.  And if it took this "strip down" to get here, nothing better could ever have happened.  Is this not what I've sought my whole life?  Is He not the security, the knowing who I am, the peace of not having to work so hard at stuff, the comfort that I turned to my addictions for?  So as raw as it is, I'm not falling apart, I'm doing better than I ever have in handling things, I'm closer to Hashem.  What could a yid ask for?

1daat, i am happy for you! thanks for sharing such great 'good stuff'!
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 12 Nov 2010 20:37 #84663

• 1daat
  • Current streak: 126 days
  • Platinum Boarder
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 12 Nov 2010 05:33:

opening up and being honest in 'real life' can be harder that here on GYE. it can be a beginning, though, for a path of honesty in 'real life'.
does that make sense?
zemmy, ceo of the clown thread

Totally.  Thanks.  Have a beautiful Shabbos. Whew, what a week, ShabbosShabbosShabbos

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 16 Nov 2010 17:30 #85157

• 1daat
  • Platinum Boarder
Note to Self: Chizuk email 890 by Guard

We need to learn how:

* To speak with Hashem as if he was a friend right here with us in the room...
    * To realize Hashem loves us even when we make bad mistakes.
    * To internalize that He only has our very best interest in mind at all times, no matter how bad things seem to be.
    * To live with constant gratitude, even for the little things...
    * To internalize how much Hashem values a real relationship with us... (so much so, that when we are distant, He sometimes causes us suffering and pain just to get our attention... It therefore follows, that if we live with constant gratitude and awareness of Hashem's closeness and love, we will save ourselves much pain down the line, because He won't need to get us to come "running to Him" just when things are bad...)

These things are the FOUNDATION of recovery.

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 16 Nov 2010 19:59 #85175

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I think they are also the FOUNDATION for living. But I guess that's what recovery is all about: living.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 16 Nov 2010 21:46 #85190

• 1daat
  • Platinum Boarder
UAJ.  Great point! 

8) tov

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 17 Nov 2010 11:51 #85259

• frumfiend
hello daat missed you

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 21 Nov 2010 06:06 #85969

• 1daat
  • Platinum Boarder
This is HARD!  I started dealing with food as just another yh issue.  And then I start seeing yh all over the place.  I see images, one after another from my past.  After coming home from shul, and a long beautiful machloikas, I see how my ego was just bouncing off the walls.  Now I don't want to open my mouth.

Shmiras eynayim/bris are ok.  it's day by day.  But I think I may be getting into some other kind of trouble, so I want to put this out here and maybe you guys can pull my beard.

I'm getting depressed, and I know that could well be my getting into another drama-dance with the yh,  But seeing a lifetime past, and seeing myself today still lost in being a somebody has really stunned me.  I've kind of shut down.

Now I gotta add something to this.  I'm bipolar, and when the days get shorter I tend to depression.  Maybe these things are working together, but I've heard and experienced so many times the yetzer using shame to bring us down the slippery slope to the toilet.

When I daven alone, I've been breaking down crying at seeing myself.  I davened Birchas Hashachar at home this morning and just broke down.  I begged Hashem that I just can't take any more.  It's not really shame I feel, it's sorrow and regret and the pain of what I've done to other people, and the life I've wasted. 

I felt similar feelings when I first started posting on GYE.  But this is way bigger, It's like Hashem is pouring it on. 

It just hurts really bad.  I can't really explain it I guess.

I definitely didn't sign up for this.  It's hard being shown a wasted life, and then noticing I'm still acting like the same shtarker that kept me so far from Hashem.

The paradox in all this is that Hashem is right here.  Silent on the matter, but here.  I read Tehillim, and cry and tell him I can't take any more, and then He quiets me, and it's all ok again, and I remember that T'shuvah is something that happens moment to moment, and that for that moment He saved me. 

So there's good news and painful news.  but taken as a whole, I'm kind of stunned, kind of withdrawn but not like avoiding, it's more like needing to be quiet. 

I guess now that I've blurted this out, I realize that this probably isn't really depression.  it's more like a deep sadness, an aching.  Hashem I just need Moshiach.  this being human seems way over my head. 

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 21 Nov 2010 06:18 #85973

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
1daat,
i feel your pain. while no two situations and circumstances are alike entirely, i think just about everyone on this site would like to re-write part of their past. to think about what we should could or would is usually intensely painful. but the past is locked. the challenge is to do the best we can now.
i just read Rabbi Twerski's new book called 'Gevurah', which BTW is excellent, and he speaks about one question that he never got a good answer for. that is why there is so much suffering in the world. of course, Chazal and many others speak about it but the bottom line is that in our current human state we will not understand it. the only way to deal with it, he says, is with faith.
you have that most precious thing called faith, it shows in your posts. keep using it.
wishing you all the best
zs
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 21 Nov 2010 08:24 #85982

• 1daat
  • Platinum Boarder
Zemmy, thanks.  Yep.  end of the day, emunah's all we got.  But while the "past is locked", it doesn't hurt to take a good long look.

thanks again for being there.

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 21 Nov 2010 13:04 #85991

• frumfiend
Just keep inspiring us !

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 21 Nov 2010 14:11 #85999

• briut
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
1daat wrote on 21 Nov 2010 06:06:
... when the days get shorter I tend to depression.  [...] I've heard and experienced so many times the yetzer using shame to bring us down the slippery slope to the toilet.[...]  It's not really shame I feel, it's sorrow and regret and the pain of what I've done to other people, and the life I've wasted.  [...] I definitely didn't sign up for this.  It's hard being shown a wasted life[...]. The paradox in all this is that Hashem is right here.

Look, I've got the same emotional challenges. And there is "sorrow and regret and pain." But there's also hope and re-invention and growth and a fresh start every day. I hate giving personal advice to a virtual colleague, but perhaps I'm permitted to suggest... Grab yourself a "light box" and focus on how much MORE mountain you can climb every day compared to those already a little closer to fine (Indigo Girls), and how much HKBH loves your efforts and unconditionally love YOU.
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 21 Nov 2010 06:18:
i think just about everyone on this site would like to re-write part of their past. to think about what we should could or would is usually intensely painful. but the past is locked. the challenge is to do the best we can now. [...]you have that most precious thing called faith, it shows in your posts. keep using it.
ZS, I couldn't'a said it better. Except maybe to offer chizuk that we each CAN put our emunah into action (tachlis), and the combination is very powerful.1daat wrote on 21 Nov 2010 08:24:
Yep.  end of the day, emunah's all we got.  But while the "past is locked", it doesn't hurt to take a good long look.
Well, actually, sometimes it CAN hurt. A LOT!! And I don't think He made ANYone michuyev to look any longer than we can. Masochists are not appreciated Upstairs. I think we can only do what we can do, lovingly, and with pain we can handle lovingly. And if that takes a little longer than facing the blinding neon lights, well maybe that's our lesson to learn, also.Frumfiend The star wrote on 21 Nov 2010 13:04:
Just keep inspiring us !

Or, perhaps, the heck with US and keep inspiring yoursSELF! If that HAPPENS to involve working to inspire others (like us), that's great -- GIVING is probably the BEST route out of sadness for most of us here. But if you have to fill yourself up first, well then just put on your own oxygen mask first and reach out once you're breathing again.

Stick with this. There is beauty beyond description on the other side of this resolution. And you're on your way.

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 22 Nov 2010 03:51 #86096

• 1daat
  • Platinum Boarder
Briut, this is an inspired post.  You gave me a kick in the pants when I needed it, spot on chizuk, and love, love, love [this is NOT the indigent goys*[size=8pt]see below[/size].  Isn't it some  R&B group?  Moishe and the Vandals, I think]

There is no adequate thanking you.  I'd been muddling around in "I've wasted my life", and completely forgot about TODAY.  Just for today.  You know, "1daat".  Number one daat.  And I plumb faggadaboudit.  Once again you caught me.  Thanks bro.

Briut wrote on 21 Nov 2010 14:11:

Look, I've got the same emotional challenges. And there is "sorrow and regret and pain." But there's also hope and re-invention and growth and a fresh start every day.

I keep forgetting this one day at a time stuff.

I hate giving personal advice to a virtual colleague,

Who better

Grab yourself a "light box"

Ordered it about an hour ago.

and focus on how much MORE mountain you can climb every day

There's that one day at a time stuff again.

compared to those already a little closer to fine (Indigo Girls)

To paraphrase somebody else, "Uh, what's a ben Torah doing with the Indigo Girls?"  Who are the Indigo girls? Is this somebody I should know about?  Descendants of Beruria maybe?

1daat wrote on 21 Nov 2010 08:24:
Yep.  end of the day, emunah's all we got.  But while the "past is locked", it doesn't hurt to take a good long look.  Briut wrote on 21 Nov 2010 14:11:
Well, actually, sometimes it CAN hurt. A LOT!! And I don't think He made ANYone michuyev to look any longer than we can.

How 'bout "any longer than is useful"?...maybe to look long enough to learn something, to grow a little, and not to wallow around in it.

Masochists are not appreciated Upstairs.

Nope.  I disagree.  I can tell you first hand, Hashem loves masochists too.

GIVING is probably the BEST route out of sadness for most of us here.

NTS:  Briut suggests a little chesed could help with the sadness
www.actt613.org/Modules/ACTT_Kavanah_During_Davening_Module_Packet_2.pdf
IDEAS FOR ACTS OF CHESED
Offer to run an errand for a friend
Cheerfully greet someone
Bake an unexpected treat for a friend
Remember someone's birthday
Call someone going thru a difficult time
Leave a friendly note for a family member
Listen patiently to others
Clean up after dinner without being asked
Call someone who lives alone
Greet everyone you see with a smile
Introduce yourself to someone
Apologize for something you've done
Take out the garbage without being asked
Give someone an unexpected compliment
Spend time with a child with a disability
Help strangers in shul feel welcome
Take an elderly person shopping
Pay attention to what people are saying
Spend quality time with family & friends
Call or visit someone who is sick
Cook a meal for a person in need
Visit someone who may be lonely
Call someone you haven't spoken to in a while
Say thanks - no matter how small the deed
Help a child with his / her homework
Compliment someone who helps you
Give someone an encouraging note
When asked to do something, respond right away
in a cheerful and willing manner
Drive someone to the doctor
Help out family members even if you're busy
Help someone find a job
Buy a gift for a loved one for no reason
Greet everyone with a pleasant "good morning"
Write a letter to an elderly person
Take a neighbor's garbage cans in from the curb
Call someone who recently lost a loved one
Congratulate siblings on recent accomplishments

Stick with this. There is beauty beyond description on the other side of this resolution. And you're on your way.
I love you too.  I'm moved and humbled by your caring.  Thanks again.  Alle brochos.  Parnasoh, shalom bayis, d'vekus Hashem, simchasimchasimcha, and lechaims to 120. You still d'man Doc 8)

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 22 Nov 2010 17:59 #86182

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
1daat wrote on 22 Nov 2010 03:51:

IDEAS FOR ACTS OF CHESED
Offer to run an errand for a friend
Cheerfully greet someone
Bake an unexpected treat for a friend
Remember someone's birthday
Call someone going thru a difficult time
Leave a friendly note for a family member
Listen patiently to others
Clean up after dinner without being asked
Call someone who lives alone
Greet everyone you see with a smile
Introduce yourself to someone
Apologize for something you've done
Take out the garbage without being asked
Give someone an unexpected compliment
Spend time with a child with a disability
Help strangers in shul feel welcome
Take an elderly person shopping
Pay attention to what people are saying
Spend quality time with family & friends
Call or visit someone who is sick
Cook a meal for a person in need
Visit someone who may be lonely
Call someone you haven't spoken to in a while
Say thanks - no matter how small the deed
Help a child with his / her homework
Compliment someone who helps you
Give someone an encouraging note
When asked to do something, respond right away
in a cheerful and willing manner
Drive someone to the doctor
Help out family members even if you're busy
Help someone find a job
Buy a gift for a loved one for no reason
Greet everyone with a pleasant "good morning"
Write a letter to an elderly person
Take a neighbor's garbage cans in from the curb
Call someone who recently lost a loved one
Congratulate siblings on recent accomplishments

1daat thanks for this amazing list.  I am printing it out and keeping it by my desk.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: Tatti, Tatti, please, just for today 23 Nov 2010 05:18 #86309

• 1daat
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey UAJ.  Excellente idea.  ditto.  How ya doin?
Time to create page: 0.69 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes