Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: victory 38589 Views

Re: victory 27 Oct 2009 22:14 #25924

• rashkebehag
I didn't see that email I only subscribe to the 1st level emails. i will expound tomorrow on this great tool.  it works. Let me just say this. Imagination is a real experience. So by imagining that one had conquored the evil inclination its as if he did and every time one wins he gets stronger. In my next post I will explain the source in Chazal for this
Last Edit: by shr.

Re: victory 28 Oct 2009 07:47 #25997

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 745 days
i sent you yesterday's e-mail by e-mail
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by Enduro.

Re: victory 28 Oct 2009 16:02 #26061

• rashkebehag
Rabbi Grylak, the editor of Mishpacha Magazine, wrote a supplement for Rosh Hashana called Introspection. There, he provides tool for self improvement. Its based on. among other sources, the story where Rav Akiva was tortured and was saying krias shma at the same time. His students expresssed their wonder and he answered, " All my life I was in pain when will I keep these words, and now that I have the chance I shouldn't do it?" The explanation of his words is that all his life he prepared himself by imagining himself being tortured and saying krias shma despite the torture. and now he is ready for it. The imagination has the power to give the person the experience even if it is not actual. This is what is meant in the Hagada that in every generation one must see himself as if he left Mitzraim. It means to imagine what the experience must have felt like. There are more examples where imagination plays an important role in serving Hashem, but to get to the point. One can use this as a tool to learn self control. Simply imagine being in the situation where one can lose control and then imagine yourself overcoming your usual tendency. This is a self training without the dangers
Last Edit: by EBDSH.

Re: victory 29 Oct 2009 15:47 #26257

• Dov
  • Administrator
With all very due respect to rabeinu (rashkebehag),
This eitza may be a good one and I'm no one to argue. All i feel I must share is that I have learned that my head is a dangerous, tricky place to linger in. My problem involved endless figuring and wrestling, mostly in my own thoughts. My solution (not THE solution, just the one that is working for me right now, mind you) is to steer away from my head as often as possible and divert my attention to my actions, instead. (With the possible exception of 4th stepwork, which has nothing directly to do with lust or acting out.)
That is why I'd avoid using this eitza, even if it works. It's a question of derech ha'avodah for me, rather than good or bad, that's all.
Love you, Rashkeh!!
- Dov
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by BMD.

Re: victory 29 Oct 2009 15:53 #26260

• bardichev
RASHKEBEHAGG U R BACK WOW!!!!

I KNEW YOU L BE BACKK

KEEP IT UP

BARDS
Last Edit: by Philly.

Re: victory 29 Oct 2009 17:31 #26276

• rashkebehag
let me give an example where I used this idea. I am not a real smoker, I don't by packs of cigarettes - but I enjoy it. It got to a point where i was habitually asking a certain generous individual for a cigarette daily. I saw a dangerous addiction forming and I couldn't stop. So the night before I imagined myself meeting this person and refusing a cigarette.I have stopped my habit. I no longer ask that person for cigarettes and am smoke free.
Last Edit: by Leahle.

Re: victory 29 Oct 2009 21:25 #26320

• Dov
  • Administrator
Hey, if it's working 4U, GOOOO FOOOORRR ITTTTTT!!!!!!!!! (sorry about the goo!)

PS. We love Rashkeh!
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by Matg.

Re: victory 29 Oct 2009 21:39 #26329

• rashkebehag
Thanks , Dov, i also want to mention that I thought I would get a welcome from Berd quicker than that.
This site is wonderful and the main thing that helps in the struggle is knowing that We are in it together.The YH is really smart, I had no access to the computer for a month and had convinced myself that the fight is over. Now i know it's not true, It's a struggle and a fight for a lifetime. i once thought, as many on this forum, that marriage would help. I also thought that age would help. Nothing helps except the Above and one's own will.regards to all.
Last Edit: by siyag.

Re: victory 29 Oct 2009 22:28 #26344

• Cleareyes613
  • Current streak: 272 days
  • Platinum Boarder

Hey Rashkebehag -

I am a huge Dov fan and would like to offer my two cents.

Our minds are powerful, and our imagination is a dangerous place. I hear Dov's concern with using this technique and hopefully he will agree with what I am about to say.

For myself, when I'm unprepared or caught off guard by lust I'm a goner. If for example I know I will have the opportunity to act out at an upcoming place/time and give it no thought, then come that place/time I will act out. I need, to win, to recognize the nisoyon before hand. I need to speak to Hashem before hand. I need to strengthen myself before hand. Then when the test comes I have a chance of giving over the battle to Hashem. I only have bechira before lust attacks, not during.

So if you are about to face a known test, ex: your about to walk by a lust filled street, than use your imagination. Imagine yourself giving over the test to Hashem and walking through unscathed.

But to imagining possible lustfull tests that are not about to occur in ones life just to strengthen oneself again lust, I can see the dangers in that to an addict. One thing can lead to the next so best to just avoid.

Makes sense? 
Last Edit: by mcp7523@gmail.com.

Re: victory 29 Oct 2009 22:28 #26345

• the.guard
Nothing helps except the Above and one's own will.

It's good to have you back!

I notice in your avatar that your hands are still facing upwards like they were 2 months ago...

That's good.

Vechi Yadav Shel Moshe Osos Milchama? Ela, Shekol zman sheyisrael mistaklin klapei mala umishabdin es libam leavihem shebashamayim...
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by Ginny.

Re: victory 30 Oct 2009 14:05 #26418

• rashkebehag
cleareyes, I was talking only  about tests that are expected and are usual in one's life. That means that if one knows he is going to walk to a place that has nisyonos imagining himself going there and refusing to give in and then leaving successfully, all in his imagination, will give him strength when he actually is put to the test.
Allow me to give an example how this can be done positively. Its a more than a month since Rosh  Hashana, your getting up from your seat to pray and you want to pray well, use your imagination to recall how you prayed on Rosh Hashana, and then start praying, You will see that you are now doing a better job since Rosh Hashana is clearer in your memory. Do you get what I mean? This is something like guided imagery, a technique used by therapists to heal emotional and even physical hurt.
Last Edit: by withgdthereshope.

Re: victory 20 Nov 2009 15:04 #29703

• rashkebehag
Hello everybody, i havent posted on my own topic for a while and I feel I need some chizuk. You see I only got to the 90 days by not having a computer for 40  of those days. i feel the pull very strongly some times. The chizuk email of yesterday coming from a yeshiva bochur really helped me. I feel i have slipped a few times by checking out some pictures that came up by accident. those second looks make me feel tremendously guilty and i feel like i am about to fall.I am thinking of blocking out Google Images. But that would be very inconvenient for me since I use it sometimes in my work. What do you think?
Last Edit: by Yidneck.

Re: victory 21 Nov 2009 17:36 #29778

• the.guard
Google images is too dangerous for an addict. I would block it if I was you, and have someone else find you images when you need them occasionally..

Keep up the great work, Rabbun shel kol hagola!
Last Edit: by GuardThyEyes.

Re: victory 22 Nov 2009 18:49 #29904

• rashkebehag
Thank you for the chizuk. I am going to keep away from Google Images and go to it only if someone is with me. If i see i am unable to keep this geder I will then block it bli neder.
Last Edit: by Yoelshtill.

Re: victory 25 Nov 2009 23:16 #30595

• rashkebehag
if anybdy is interested I wish to start a new 90day course. I had too many slips. I am counting from Nov 20. Reb guard please update my chart as such. I can' find myself on the Wall. I fel that I am on a new level now of freedom. anyone that will contribute to this thread will be appreciated because I always could use the chizuk
Last Edit: by 250user.
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes