Welcome, Guest

Kavey's Journey
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Kavey's Journey 2919 Views

Re: Kavey's Journey 17 Jun 2022 01:34 #382053

• kavey
  • Expert Boarder
Day 23

Came back from my trip tired and then had to deal with kids after work since my wife works late. I'm sorry to say it was not parenting at its best at all. My upset feelings at myself compounded with stress at work did not make for a good night's sleep and I had a little trouble getting out of bed but did in the end (Vehkam's Modeh Ani advice helps as well). 

I was trying to gather my thoughts a bit in my Cheshbon Hanefesh "diary" but was feeling a bit depressed and was thinking of skipping shul and davening at home. At this point I tried to ask myself what Hashem would want me to do, but I felt like I couldn't answer. I know for myself that this is usually a bit of a warning sign that I may be falling into a rut so I decided to exercise. There wasn't time to go for a run so I did about 100 jumping jacks, got the blood flowing and felt a lot better. 

Was then able to "access" what Hashem would want me to do...and I felt he wanted me to go to shul so I did

As far as work, what I find works for me is that even if I feel stressed, just thinking that Hashem wouldn't want me to feel stressed (I guess because of Bitachon) helps even if I don't fully address the underlying cause.  Writing those words down helps even more.

Kids were also better in the morning and I was reminded of what an adam gadol said to me when I was discussing difficulties with my kids. He said kids can change very much from day to day and one day you can think your kids need to go to therapy and the next they seem completely normal. Never a dull moment as a parent

One day at a time and apologies for the stream of consciousness sentences.

Re: Kavey's Journey 17 Jun 2022 04:28 #382065

• yechielmichel
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Expert Boarder
Kavey wrote on 17 Jun 2022 01:34:
Day 23

Came back from my trip tired and then had to deal with kids after work since my wife works late. I'm sorry to say it was not parenting at its best at all. My upset feelings at myself compounded with stress at work did not make for a good night's sleep and I had a little trouble getting out of bed but did in the end (Vehkam's Modeh Ani advice helps as well). 

I was trying to gather my thoughts a bit in my Cheshbon Hanefesh "diary" but was feeling a bit depressed and was thinking of skipping shul and davening at home. At this point I tried to ask myself what Hashem would want me to do, but I felt like I couldn't answer. I know for myself that this is usually a bit of a warning sign that I may be falling into a rut so I decided to exercise. There wasn't time to go for a run so I did about 100 jumping jacks, got the blood flowing and felt a lot better. 

Was then able to "access" what Hashem would want me to do...and I felt he wanted me to go to shul so I did

As far as work, what I find works for me is that even if I feel stressed, just thinking that Hashem wouldn't want me to feel stressed (I guess because of Bitachon) helps even if I don't fully address the underlying cause.  Writing those words down helps even more.

Kids were also better in the morning and I was reminded of what an adam gadol said to me when I was discussing difficulties with my kids. He said kids can change very much from day to day and one day you can think your kids need to go to therapy and the next they seem completely normal. Never a dull moment as a parent

One day at a time and apologies for the stream of consciousness sentences.

Thanks for sharing your streams of consciousness. they are insightful.

Similar to how exercise gets the blood flowing and helps one think more clearly, I found that when taking care of my kids alone, making sure to stay hydrated (as I run up and downstairs during bathtime/bedtime making sure everyone is doing what they should be, dealing with the occasional outbursts and tantrums) really helps me keep my composure.

Re: Kavey's Journey 22 Jun 2022 00:06 #382242

• kavey
  • Expert Boarder
Day 28

Some days ich hob nisht koyach for the kinder. KOT!

Re: Kavey's Journey 22 Jun 2022 18:25 #382269

• kavey
  • Expert Boarder
Day 28 contd

I'm not a struggler in an endless struggle. I'm a servant of G-D on a holy mission where every second counts.

Re: Kavey's Journey 24 Jun 2022 02:56 #382384

• kavey
  • Expert Boarder
Day 30

Hooray!

Re: Kavey's Journey 07 Jul 2022 17:45 #383053

• kavey
  • Expert Boarder
Day 43

This post should be pinned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/310955-Growing-With-The-Chevra?limit=15&start=90#332453

Also, I think the last time time passed this slowly for me was when I was a kid. I think that's a positive
Last Edit: 07 Jul 2022 18:03 by kavey.

Re: Kavey's Journey 07 Jul 2022 18:12 #383056

• lchaim tovim
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Gold Boarder
Lol, your at day 43 I'm at 27. Your eons ahead of me... Great going!

Re: Kavey's Journey 07 Jul 2022 19:38 #383059

Hi Kavy,
I just read through your thread, great stuff!
I love your honesty; it's a fantastic tool for growth!

Keep climbing!
We get only one chance at life.
This is not a rehearsal; it's the real thing.

Father, help me live sober Today.

Re: Kavey's Journey 18 Jul 2022 17:49 #383515

• kavey
  • Expert Boarder
Day 54

I recently went on a multi-day business trip and with HHM's close guidance I emerged in one piece. These trips are often challenging for me in terms of the loneliness, available TV in the room, stress from the trip etc. but as HHM says "failure to plan is planning to fail" and his plan got me through it.

I even felt on the way home that I got a special "kiss" from Hashem but can't share here as I think would be too much detail.

Re: Kavey's Journey 18 Jul 2022 18:08 #383516

• lchaim tovim
  • Gold Boarder
This is awesome!!

Could you share more about the planning you did?

Re: Kavey's Journey 18 Jul 2022 18:54 #383520

• kavey
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for asking

This is what I have from HHM:
  1. Get something to engross you on the trip so that you're in your own world. If Torah then great but the main thing is not to be looking around on the plane or airport
  2. Shtar to send to mentor to unplug hotel room TV right away when entering the room or at least cover with a towel. If shtar is broken then monetary fine of say $100
  3. Text mentor before and after going to hotel room. Same applies for work computer since there is less shmirah on a trip and more downtime.
  4. Don't use hotel public computers in lobby at all
  5. Find Jews (i.e. go to minyan at least once a day)
  6. Take off glasses in hotel and airport (I also eventually took them off just walking in the street)
  7. Call wife when you have an urge. Tell her you're thinking of her
  8. When speaking with non tznius women ay work, daven for them. It helps remove objectification.

This is a lot but there are a lot of challenges. I also found it hard to fall asleep so I put on a shiur and listened to that till I fell asleep listening.

Re: Kavey's Journey 18 Jul 2022 19:04 #383521

• lchaim tovim
  • Gold Boarder
This is great...

I struggle with #1, when I go to the store these days, I remove my glasses and listen to music. I have a hard time finding something to engross myself in when I'm sitting alone and surrounded by temptation.

I love #7

I should probably find a mentor/partner. I could see that being extremely helpful.
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2022 19:05 by lchaim tovim.

Re: Kavey's Journey 18 Jul 2022 19:34 #383523

• dave m
  • Current streak: 363 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Kavey wrote on 18 Jul 2022 18:54:
Thanks for asking

This is what I have from HHM:
  1. Get something to engross you on the trip so that you're in your own world. If Torah then great but the main thing is not to be looking around on the plane or airport
  2. Shtar to send to mentor to unplug hotel room TV right away when entering the room or at least cover with a towel. If shtar is broken then monetary fine of say $100
  3. Text mentor before and after going to hotel room. Same applies for work computer since there is less shmirah on a trip and more downtime.
  4. Don't use hotel public computers in lobby at all
  5. Find Jews (i.e. go to minyan at least once a day)
  6. Take off glasses in hotel and airport (I also eventually took them off just walking in the street)
  7. Call wife when you have an urge. Tell her you're thinking of her
  8. When speaking with non tznius women ay work, daven for them. It helps remove objectification.

This is a lot but there are a lot of challenges. I also found it hard to fall asleep so I put on a shiur and listened to that till I fell asleep listening.

these are great practical suggestions.  Thanks for posting them here! 

Re: Kavey's Journey 18 Jul 2022 20:16 #383528

• kavey
  • Expert Boarder
Lchaim Tovim wrote on 18 Jul 2022 19:04:
This is great...

I struggle with #1, when I go to the store these days, I remove my glasses and listen to music. I have a hard time finding something to engross myself in when I'm sitting alone and surrounded by temptation.

I love #7

I should probably find a mentor/partner. I could see that being extremely helpful.

Yes, would definitely recommend.

Re: Kavey's Journey 20 Jul 2022 16:52 #383609

• kavey
  • Expert Boarder
Day 56

At the beginning of this journey I felt that I need to immediately de-stress by exercising, taking a walk etc. I think with time on this journey I'm starting to have more tolerance for lower levels of stress, recognizing that it's a part of life and more ability to work despite stress and not need to act out/masturbate.
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes