Welcome, Guest

Work in progress
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Work in progress 15638 Views

Re: Work in progress 10 Feb 2023 14:05 #391881

Vehkam wrote on 10 Feb 2023 05:25:

This is a two part post.  Part one is important for me to document but part two is more emotional….

Part 1

It has been difficult to post recently.  Boruch hashem I’ve been busy. Between work, maintaining the house, teaching at night and dating there really hasn’t been any extra time.

At times I wonder if I have plateaued. Am I continuing to grow?  Sometimes it is difficult to know especially when things are relatively stable.  At those times it is gratifying to be able to come back here to my thread and see where I was holding twelve months ago. Or even six months ago.  It becomes much easier to see that yes I am continuing to grow.

I ordered the battle of the generation from Amazon one year ago. Since then I have read it cover to cover more than six times!

I didn’t even start therapy until the end of March last year! Now I no longer need to go very often.

I am learning considerably more in the last few months and I am teaching as well.

My rov even asked me to speak in Shul when he was away.

While I am proud of my recovery I no longer see myself exclusively through the lens of recovery.  Without question recovery was the catalyst but the desire to live a life that will bring nachas to hashem is no longer rooted in recovery.  I just want to be close to hashem.

this is the most exciting time of the year.  Purim is coming and I can celebrate that closeness without inhibitions.  Nissan is already on the horizon and I am waiting with heightened anticipation for that month in which we celebrate Hashem taking us out from a world of darkness and connecting us to a world of light.   Pesach will always be the yomtov on which I celebrate my personal redemption.

Part 2

Last year about this time I was on my way to recovery.  I was committed and hopeful but still very much unsure of myself.  At some point I was cleaning up at home and I came across a bag of stuff from my previous forbidden life that I had stashed in the back of some shelf.       (This was not anything explicit but at the same time it was very much connected to my forbidden activities).

My first thought was that I better get rid of this asap. Then I had an inspiration.  I wanted to feel what it would be like to bring a korbon Pesach.  I decided to save the stuff until erev Pesach. I continued to work at spiritually cleaning myself.

On erev Pesach I davened early.  Then I took my bag of stuff and drove to the dumpsters that were set up near my neighborhood for extra garbage on erev pesach.  I sat in my car and said tehillim with tears streaming down my cheeks. I davened that hashem accept my korbon as if I had brought a real live korbon pesach.  Then I threw the bag into the dumpster and left.  It is difficult to describe the connection that I felt at this moment

While I am far from perfect, I wont have such a korbon to bring this year. I daven from the bottom of my heart that we will all be able to bring the korbon pesach in yerushalayim this year. But if somehow it is still not the time for that, I will be somewhere someplace in my car saying tehillim with tears streaming down my cheeks.  Asking hashem to remember last years korbon, to help me stay on this path and to please allow my words to continue to inspire others to do the same.

I don’t know why I was never able to write about this.  I thought about it but somehow never found the right tone to describe this very personal moment. I thank hashem for inspiring me with the words to do so at this time.

Best wishes

Vehkam

That is very special thank you for sharing!

If I may add - I had a similar experience with drugs- I once found a stuffed bag filled with the highest quality goods I had ever seen/smelled as I was fighting to break through from the addiction. 

i said no way out loud and dumped the bag in a nearby lake. 

Have not done any drugs since then. 

whenever I’m struggling, I think back to that moment - the whole experience, Sun on my skin, rustling reeds, cool lake water, my old purple towel draped draped over a rock, my paint splattered black crocs, the colorful bag, the smell of the drugs- the bright orange, deep purple, greenish yellow threads, the icy frosting, the large fleshy clumps…

and the feeling of throwing away an addiction into the lake

the korban that set me free

that sacrifice, just like yours, is eternal and nobody can take it away from you

time will not dilute it

just keep the memory fresh in your mind and it will give you strength
Hi, my name is ILH and I’m a Sexaholic. Easy does it... I don't need to be perfect. 
If you figured out my identity, don't be shy, come say hi! 
It takes tons of courage to fight the good fight, but we don't have to do it all alone. 
My Story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/385922-My-Story-Being-Honest-For-Once

Re: Work in progress 10 Feb 2023 14:38 #391882

• vehkam
  • Current streak: 981 days
  • Platinum Boarder
jackthejew wrote on 10 Feb 2023 11:32:

Last year about this time I was on my way to recovery.  I was committed and hopeful but still very much unsure of myself.  At some point I was cleaning up at home and I came across a bag of stuff from my previous forbidden life that I had stashed in the back of some shelf.       (This was not anything explicit but at the same time it was very much connected to my forbidden activities).

My first thought was that I better get rid of this asap. Then I had an inspiration.  I wanted to feel what it would be like to bring a korbon Pesach.  I decided to save the stuff until erev Pesach. I continued to work at spiritually cleaning myself.

On erev Pesach I davened early.  Then I took my bag of stuff and drove to the dumpsters that were set up near my neighborhood for extra garbage on erev pesach.  I sat in my car and said tehillim with tears streaming down my cheeks. I davened that hashem accept my korbon as if I had brought a real live korbon pesach.  Then I threw the bag into the dumpster and left.  It is difficult to describe the connection that I felt at this moment

While I am far from perfect, I wont have such a korbon to bring this year. I daven from the bottom of my heart that we will all be able to bring the korbon pesach in yerushalayim this year. But if somehow it is still not the time for that, I will be somewhere someplace in my car saying tehillim with tears streaming down my cheeks.  Asking hashem to remember last years korbon, to help me stay on this path and to please allow my words to continue to inspire others to do the same.

I've been waiting to bring a similar Korban. I've got the same bag. Nothing explicit but same Inyan. Be"H when I'm home for Peasch...

Oh wow!! That is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. 
vehkam7@gmail.com

guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/375452-Work-in-progress

The Battle of the Generation by Hillel S. has been a huge help for me.  Message me to find out how you can receive a free copy.

some of the experiences I write about may make it easier to identify me.  This is ok.  I trust that if anyone discovers my identity they will keep it to themselves.  If you do realize that you  know me, I am completely comfortable and welcome you acknowledging me and my struggle in person.

Re: Work in progress 10 Feb 2023 14:43 #391884

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
Hashem Help Me wrote on 10 Feb 2023 11:52:
As usual, R' Vehkam is awe inspiring. As Eerie wrote you will never know (at least in this world), the ripple effect you have had and continue to have. Yet, here you have it - with Jack telling us that he has his korban ready and waiting....  May Hashem shower you with hatzlocha in all areas (and especially in finding that special wife - who will iyh be a most fortunate individual, having a tzaddik for a husband)

Thank you so much for the continued encouragement and your special brachos.  
vehkam7@gmail.com

The Battle of the Generation by Hillel S. has been a huge help for me.  Message me to find out how you can receive a free copy.

some of the experiences I write about may make it easier to identify me.  This is ok.  I trust that if anyone discovers my identity they will keep it to themselves.  If you do realize that you  know me, I am completely comfortable and welcome you acknowledging me and my struggle in person.

Re: Work in progress 01 Mar 2023 20:22 #392878

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
As a postscript to my previous post.  After pesach last year i wanted to do something to make the inspiration permanent.  Over pesach the out of town shul where i davened used a regular cup for kiddush and havdala because they never bought a proper Kos for pesach.  I purchased a nice silver kos and had it inscribed with the words Zecher L'yitzias Mitzrayim and my name (not vehkam!!).  I am looking forward to them using it this year on pesach iyh.
vehkam7@gmail.com

Last Edit: 01 Mar 2023 20:22 by vehkam.

Re: Work in progress 16 Mar 2023 02:49 #393424

• monseyyid41
  • Current streak: 95 days
  • Expert Boarder
Oh wow. I just came across this post and I was blown away! Vehkam, this story is not just a moshol, this was an actual korbon in every sense of the word. I can't imagine the nachas ruach that Hkb"h must have had from this. Thank you for sharing this truly inspiring story. I just have one he'orah. You wrote "My first thought was that I better get rid of this asap. Then I had an inspiration.  I wanted to feel what it would be like to bring a korbon Pesach.  I decided to save the stuff until erev Pesach." It sounds like you were in a good position as far as your recovery to be able to make that decision. I'm just wondering, though, if for some people, that might actually be the atzas hayetzer. I know for myself personally, if I'm in a good spot where I want to throw out something that could tempt me, and I push it off, even for a very good reason, it could easily backfire, and the next day I might be in a different frame of mind and all of a sudden, this thing is tempting me. Please please please don't take this as a criticism of what you did, it's not, rather I just want to point out that each individual should maybe be aware that for himself it might be smarter not to wait. I'm curious to hear what the oilam thinks, and if I'm way off base, don't hesitate to tell me so (nicely).
My thread: Forum (guardyoureyes.com)
We are not all in the same boat, but we are all in the same lake. And when one boat is in trouble, the other boats in the lake can quickly come to his aid. Feel free to reach out to me to give some chizuk or to receive some. monseyyid41@gmail.com

Re: Work in progress 16 Mar 2023 03:24 #393427

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
I can assure you that there was no possibility of temptation. Otherwise I would not have held on to whatever it was.  
vehkam7@gmail.com

Re: Work in progress 19 Mar 2023 19:53 #393535

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
For anyone following my thread, last night I completed the Battle of the Generation. I will begin with chapter 1 again iyh tonight for the 8th time.  This nightly reading has been noticeably effective for me.  Please consider joining me in this one chapter per night commitment.  

best wishes for continued success 
vehkam
vehkam7@gmail.com

Re: Work in progress 19 Mar 2023 21:05 #393538

• oivedelokim
  • Current streak: 61 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Vehkam wrote on 19 Mar 2023 19:53:
For anyone following my thread, last night I completed the Battle of the Generation. I will begin with chapter 1 again iyh tonight for the 8th time.  This nightly reading has been noticeably effective for me.  Please consider joining me in this one chapter per night commitment.  

best wishes for continued success 
vehkam

I'm in!
I am a bochur with a passion for meaning and truth, searching to remain clean and live a holy and fulfilling life.

If you are reading this-you have a friend in me.
Feel free to PM me and I'll share my offline contact information, so we can call and text. I'd be honored if you'd trust me with your story and promise to support you in any way I possibly can.
I've been on GYE for over 7 years. "I may walk slow, but I never walk back" (-Abraham Lincoln?).
(For the background and meaning of my username- see Tanya chapter 15).

My current thread 

Re: Work in progress 23 Mar 2023 21:34 #393805

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
I wrote this one year ago!

as i said tachnun this morning i realized that this was the last tachnun for 30 days!  as we enter nissan we have a unique focus and tachanun is out of the picture for this month.  I was reminded of a vort that i heard, that on pesach the asei tov comes first - before the sur mei'ra.  that is signified by Kadesh first and then u'rchatz.   In nissan we are so focused on our connection to hashem and the positive aspects of that, so the normal focus on vidui involved in saying tachanun is just not on the radar.  i hope this makes sense to anyone reading this.  my point is that Nissan presents an unbelievable opportunity to reconnect to hashem.  Don't get bogged down by what you did or what you are doing that you may not be proud of.  In nissan hashem reminds us that we will always be B'ni B'chori Yisroel.  Just take one (even small) step forward - connect to hashem -  and he will take us out of our personal mitzrayim.
vehkam7@gmail.com

Re: Work in progress 05 Apr 2023 15:34 #394368

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder

This is a two part post.  Part one is important for me to document but part two is more emotional….

Part 1

It has been difficult to post recently.  Boruch hashem I’ve been busy. Between work, maintaining the house, teaching at night and dating there really hasn’t been any extra time.

At times I wonder if I have plateaued. Am I continuing to grow?  Sometimes it is difficult to know especially when things are relatively stable.  At those times it is gratifying to be able to come back here to my thread and see where I was holding twelve months ago. Or even six months ago.  It becomes much easier to see that yes I am continuing to grow.

I ordered the battle of the generation from Amazon one year ago. Since then I have read it cover to cover more than six times!

I didn’t even start therapy until the end of March last year! Now I no longer need to go very often.

I am learning considerably more in the last few months and I am teaching as well.

My rov even asked me to speak in Shul when he was away.

While I am proud of my recovery I no longer see myself exclusively through the lens of recovery.  Without question recovery was the catalyst but the desire to live a life that will bring nachas to hashem is no longer rooted in recovery.  I just want to be close to hashem.

this is the most exciting time of the year.  Purim is coming and I can celebrate that closeness without inhibitions.  Nissan is already on the horizon and I am waiting with heightened anticipation for that month in which we celebrate Hashem taking us out from a world of darkness and connecting us to a world of light.   Pesach will always be the yomtov on which I celebrate my personal redemption.

Part 2

I don’t know why I was never able to write about this.  I thought about it but somehow never found the right tone to describe this very personal moment. I thank hashem for inspiring me with the words to do so at this time.

Best wishes

Vehkam

i davened for all of us. very special day.
vehkam7@gmail.com

Last Edit: 09 Apr 2023 05:43 by vehkam.

Re: Work in progress 03 May 2023 02:56 #395271

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
hello all.  a few of you reached out to check on me because i haven't posted lately.  I appreciate that very much.  BH i have been quite busy in my personal life and i haven't had any time to write.  I am bli ayin hara doing well and continue to work on strengthening myself, including reading the battle of the generation every day.  My offer stands to send the book to anyone who would like a copy. Just email me or message me here.

best regards,
vehkam
vehkam7@gmail.com

Last Edit: 03 May 2023 02:57 by vehkam.

Re: Work in progress 17 May 2023 07:14 #395799

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
Todays sefira is yesod sheb’yesod. Before I started this journey that would have been meaningless to me.  Today I feel like it is a yomtov.  Bh I am planning to finish the last pages of The Battle of the Generation today for the eighth time.  I will iyh start again tomorrow. Thank you hashem for continuing to carry me on this journey and for putting so many wonderful people into my life.  

best wishes
vehkam
vehkam7@gmail.com

Re: Work in progress 25 May 2023 01:27 #396186

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 458 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Vekam,
I have learned many Mussar seforim, but this one....
This is my second time through your thread.
Many tears and emotions. You can have no idea what you are doing for me.
Actually, you probably can.

Hashem should betnch you !
Please daven for me and all of us.
Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com

Re: Work in progress 25 May 2023 04:01 #396201

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot to me.  It is gratifying that people are still inspired by what I wrote.  I feel bad that I haven’t been able to write recently but bh I am in a good place and busy with good things.  

wishing you continued success 
vehkam
vehkam7@gmail.com

Re: Work in progress 20 Aug 2023 13:43 #400130

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
Vehkam wrote on 30 Aug 2022 19:24:

When I first started my journey ten months ago I had one goal.  To stop viewing pornography and to stop acting out my fantasies.  I just wanted to clear my head so that I could think straight.

I did not intend to stop listening to the radio, something that I had always done for background noise.  Or to stop watching football.  Or Law and Order. Or American idol.  Or romantic movies that made me cry.

I had no intention of stopping to eat the free krispy kreme donut (one a day!) that I got by showing my covid card.  Nor any of the other non cholov Yisroel snacks that I became accustomed to eating (and making sure to dispose of the wrappers lest I be found out)

I did not think my davening habits would change; I thought they would be as sporadic as they had been for the last few decades.

I did not think that I would ever go over to a gadol and ask for a bracha for help with shmiras einayim and shmiras habris.

I did not think I would ever want to get married again

I certainly did not think there was anything about me that could possibly inspire anyone

I did not even intend to stop masturbation!

I just wanted to be able to think straight.

So I made one change.  I committed to myself to be clean of pornography for at least six months.  And I was given a gift from hashem.  A new lease on life.  Slowly but surely the obstacles disappeared.  And all that I did not originally intend has come to be.

Now Elul is here.  The King is in the field! And I just want to connect.  Should I be fearful? There is much to regret. But I cannot think about that.  My tears are tears of excitement. Of eager anticipation.  My king please listen to the beating of my heart.  Hear my desire to be close to you.  Another year of growth.  Please hold onto me for another year. I beseech you.  Let me remain close.  The king is in the field!

Wow! This was Elul one year ago.  The bracha I have seen this past year is extraordinary. I am excited for another Elul.  I remain fully committed to stay on this path and I daven to hashem for another year of growth and bracha.  If I can be of any help please don’t hesitate to reach out via pm or email.  
vehkam7@gmail.com

Time to create page: 0.84 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes