Welcome, Guest

Kollel Guy's 90 Days
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 18480 Views

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 19 Jan 2010 18:27 #46965

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
KG, in my humble opinion, you and your wife should give you(rself) an ultimatum, that either you get back into learning seriously within the next few days, or you go work. Hashem created the world for us to be active in it. Avraham Avinu chose Eretz Yisrael because he saw people working hard, not idling. We need to either work hard in Torah or in parnassa (or kiruv, chinuch, whatever). Hashem doesn't want us twiddling our thumbs and waiting to "get back into things" indefinitely. As the saying goes, "Idle hands are the devil's tools"...

G-d luck my friend.
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by .

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 19 Jan 2010 20:15 #46992

• Steve
  • Current streak: 5034 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I
Hey-up, Kollel Dude.

I'm on short-post duty 2day, so I'll be brief -

I really feel for you. Take it from the King of the LazyBones, the Prince of Procrastinators:

It's all about RESENTMENT and FEAR. Resentment over having someone else tell you what to do, wives, Rabbeim, even HKB"H. And the FEAR of either not SUCCEEDING if you try, or not FEELING the feeling you think you're supposed to feel (like kavanna at tefilla or geshmak from your learning).

But if you know you're in a burning building, and you're not sure if you can get out, you're still gonna try, CUZ YOU MUST OR YOU'LL DIE. There is no point in being philosophical. You know inside what has to be done, and where you have to go.

JUST GET THE HECK OUT OF WHERE YOU ARE AND GET TO WHERE YOU SHOULD BE. Don't worry about what other people think, what they're gonna ask when they finally see you. WHO CARES? JUST GET OUT OF THE FIRE!!! Start from now. Don't look back. Kol Hascholosh Kashos is EVERY DAY.

OK, now I"M gonna stop pushing off MY work.  See ya later at the water cooler.  

No one is so small that he can not give help, and no one is so big that he doesn't need it.

Kol HaOlam Kulo, Gesher Tzar Meod, V'HaIkkar: Lo L'Pacheid Klal.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 19 Jan 2010 22:54 #47064

• humanbeing
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Brief?!
Oh, but it's worth every word!!!

Signed: The Crown Prince of Procrastinators

P.S. Kollel Dude...Nice lingo.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 19 Jan 2010 23:11 #47067

• kollel guy
  • Current streak: 15 days
  • Platinum Boarder
What do you mean?

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 19 Jan 2010 23:36 #47075

• kollel guy
  • Platinum Boarder
DAY 14 Tuesday Bo
I'm gradually starting to pick myself up.
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm sort of distrusting when I hear the same thing from my own mind, so it helps a lot to hear it from the outside.
I managed to stay by seder a half hour longer than yesterday.
Tomorrow I might even go to 1st seder.
I had a near slip today, but B"H I'm good now.

Guess now my objective is to take all the wisdom I picked up here and put it into real life.
KOT - Even if your chavrusa sucks.
The question is not are you learning the best, but are you learning your best.
Don't look at the one time you messed up, but rather at the 1000 times you were strong.

I'm seriously contemplating a big break from the computer. Like 6 weeks or something.
I'll have my wife update the chart and I'll read her the Chovos Ha'levavos to type for the Beis Medrash.
I think it's the only real way for me to get off the ground.
I'll have to ask IT how his prisha is going and if it helped at all.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 20 Jan 2010 00:50 #47095

• humanbeing
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Kollel Guy wrote on 19 Jan 2010 23:11:

What do you mean?

I was making fun of Steve's "Short" Post.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 20 Jan 2010 03:16 #47111

• silentbattle
  • Current streak: 1628 days
  • Platinum Boarder
You do what you gotta do, bro. We're behind you all the way, rooting for you, davening for your success, believing in you, trusting that we'll hear good news.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 20 Jan 2010 06:14 #47136

• habaletaher
  • Current streak: 23 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow, good stuff coming through on these posts, I'm with Reb Guardy on this one... And I think that while you figure out if you are cut out for Kollel or not, you might want to take some limud that you really enjoy, and set a goal to finish something in that limud, and then plan a big siyum, and then super glue your tuchess to the seat and do yo thing!!

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 20 Jan 2010 16:51 #47270

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
Here's the trouble with that - while i agree that we need to feel like we're accomplishing, I also think it would be a big shame to leave yeshiva without a strong connection to learning, and an ability to learn - because without that, it's very difficult to keep up a connection over the years.

Heck, it's hard even WITH that!

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 21 Jan 2010 00:51 #47367

• kollel guy
  • Platinum Boarder
DAY 15 Wed, Bo
I went the entire day today without touching the computer.
I really like this idea. Even though I was pretty enthusiastic about opening it and checking emails and replies to posts when I finally did now at night.
When I see how much I accomplished in one day when the computer was off limits - it makes me wonder if 6 weeks is enough. Maybe 6 years is what I need before I can use the computer responsibly again...

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 21 Jan 2010 00:59 #47370

• Ineedhelp!!
  • Platinum Boarder
Kollel Guy wrote on 21 Jan 2010 00:51:

DAY 15 Wed, Bo
I really like this idea. Even though I was pretty enthusiastic about opening it and checking emails and replies to posts when I finally did now at night.
When I see how much I accomplished in one day when the computer was off limits - it makes me wonder if 6 weeks is enough. Maybe 6 years is what I need before I can use the computer responsibly again...

Thats great KG! How was your learning today?

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 21 Jan 2010 01:08 #47373

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
That's awesome - keep it up for long enough, and I suspect that the draw of the computer will begin to fade, as you start to truly live more...

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 21 Jan 2010 01:14 #47376

• kollel guy
  • Platinum Boarder
Yiddle2 wrote on 21 Jan 2010 00:59:

DAY 15 Wed, Bo

Well, being that I was bored out of my wits since there was no option of computer, I actually put in some nice time.
Felt very good and refreshing.
Like I'd forgotten all this time that I actually like to learn.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 21 Jan 2010 01:15 #47377

• silentbattle
  • Platinum Boarder
You've just made me really, really happy. You sound so refreshed, and pleased, and glad!

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 21 Jan 2010 01:16 #47378

• Ineedhelp!!
  • Platinum Boarder
Kollel Guy wrote on 21 Jan 2010 01:14:

Yiddle2 wrote on 21 Jan 2010 00:59:

DAY 15 Wed, Bo

Well, being that I was bored out of my wits since there was no option of computer, I actually put in some nice time.
Felt very good and refreshing.
Like I'd forgotten all this time that I actually like to learn.

Thats so great. Isnt it like 4:15 in the morning by you, KG???
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes