Welcome, Guest

Kollel Guy's 90 Days
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 18470 Views

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 24 Dec 2009 00:38 #37459

• bardichev
KG
Slow slow slow

Whether u are driving an 18 wheeler

Or a tricycle it takes time and practice to learn A new skill
Last Edit: by mendid.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 24 Dec 2009 08:53 #37594

• Kollel Guy
bardichev wrote on 24 Dec 2009 00:38:

KG
Slow slow slow

Whether u are driving an 18 wheeler

Or a tricycle it takes time and practice to learn A new skill

I am riding a motorcycle.

I can go very fast, and I make a lot of noise. I can even do some shtick.

But all it takes is one bump in the road - and I go flying.

I don't know how to go slow. That's my weakness. I'm an all or nothing guy.
Last Edit: by mmefan.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 24 Dec 2009 09:10 #37600

• tester613
  • Current streak: 286 days
  • Gold Boarder
Firstly, what you are feeling is totally normal.  I know that I went through it and so many others on this forum went through it as well.  B”H, I am over ten months sober.  (During my first few months I became so addicted to GYE that it almost cost me my parnassa (bardichev and 7up know what I talking about). So yeah, be careful.  But on the other hand, realize that this is your way of replacing your old habit.)   

Realistic Outlook On  Recovery

The principle is, as you stated from Dov, to learn to take baby steps.  But in order to do that we need to create a realistic outlook on recovery.

In my personal recovery, I came to the realistic conclusion that my addiction was preventing me from living life to its fullest and not the opposite.  It was not my “not knowing how to live life” that was causing the addiction.  With this realization, I was able to make for myself sobriety a goal onto its own with the vision of attaining the bigger goal of rebuilding my life and learning how to live life by connecting with the value system that I believe in.  In the early AA’s day, addicts were not allowed to participate in 12 steps until they were committed to sobriety.  In 12 steps, they teach you how to rebuild.  But that is very hard to do if you are still holding on tight to your old ways.  (If you are medayik in the big book you will see that is what they meant by ‘let go let G-d’. Let go of your old ways, and THEN let G-d into your life.  Not for now.)

The second realization that I began to understand was that becoming sober does not automatically translate into “feeling and living life”.  I realized that just because I am going to become sober does not mean that the whole world is going to open up to me and all of a sudden things like daveing, learning, caring for another, will happen on their own.  Rather, I will have to work on them as independent goals.  But as long as I had the addiction in place, it was harder to do.  And indeed, after maintaining five weeks of sobriety, I began building myself step by step.  It takes time and patience.  But time and patience alone will not rebuild you.  It takes effort.

The third realization that I had, was that “feeling life” may become harder after sobriety.  I had to admit it and accept sobriety nevertheless.  What this means is, (and I believe you are experiencing this) that as an addict we had our instant gratification button ready whenever we needed it.  I know for me, it gave me my drive.  Yes, it gave me depression and guilt but at times it gave me a high.  Also, due to the low “depression and guilt” that it brought me to, I was able to always feel a tremendous high afterwards when I felt encouragement to change.  I no longer had those moments.  I know this sounds strange, but many have experienced this.

I am sure I can come up with more realistc outlooks on recovery.  But for now this should suffice.
Advantages of having Realistic Outlook On  Recovery

Looking at recovery this way, helps a lot. Firstly, it is easier to attain. This is based on the principle known as “divide and conquer”.  If a person has a big goal to attain, and sees his next success as attaining that big, he may get discouraged.  Also, he doesn’t quite see how he will get there and gives up.  But when we break down the goals, it becomes easy.  When I made my goal, “remaining sober” and stop thinking about the why’s and what’s and who’s, I looked at the addiction and said that is easy. 

The second advantage is that it creates a feeling of accomplishment.  We all need to feel accomplished in order to drive us further.  When we see we can accomplish a little bit, we are encouraged to accomplish more.  In some AA circles, they hand out sobriety chips to make the addict feel accomplished (see this link for cyber chips ).  We need to see ourselves as succeeding and not failing.  When we define our recovery as purely “living life” this sets us up for disaster.  I am telling you this from experience.  When we see that life is not rebuilding on its own, we feel like failures.  We then draw the terrible conclusion that there is not point of continuing. 

The third major advantage was that I was no longer living in a fantasy world.  Think of the following mashal.  A man is promised a million dollars for climbing a big mountain.  After climbing, he is not granted the money.  Two things will happen. Number one, he will get depressed or at least saddened.  The only reason why he did this was for the money.  Without the money, it was not worth it.  The other result is that he will go down from the mountain.  There is no purpose of being there without the money.  In the nimshal, my mind always told that when I become sober, life will great.  All the hardships and challenges of life will melt away. So, when the money (good life) didn’t come, I would get depressed, discouraged and leave the sober life.    When I began seeing sobriety as a goal onto its own without any promises but as a necessary building block for my life, my drive for the goal and satisfaction with the goal was much easier. I had to walk out of the fantasy world. Sobriety does not lead to a good life.  But it will allow me to work on living the life as I know it. 

Practical Advice

OK, now onto something practical.  The recovering addict is always lost as to “now what? “  The following is based on my personal recovery. It may not be applicable to you.  But I am a big believer in creating a tailor made recovery program that is based on other’s experiences.  You learn the yesodos from others and apply them to your life and situation as appropriate. A while back, I put together a pamphlet called “ recovery in a nutshell”, where I highlighted my basic recovery for other people to use as a guide.  I never posted it yet.  But the following is based on it.

7) Take time each day to focus on recovery. 
8) During this time, remind yourself you are an addict and that you are in recovery.  Perhaps say “We admitted we are powerless to lust and that our lives became unmanageable” ten times.  During the early days of recovery it is important to drive this home and that any exposure to anything erotic is dangerous.  The addicted mind is so good at making oneself forget.  So remind yourself constantly. 
9) If you are working on 12 steps, read over just the summary of a new step each day.  This will help you engrain the 12 steps and internalize it. Keep going over it.  I used to keep a summary of the summary in my notebook and constantly review it. 
10) Take time to feed yourself spiritually in a way that will affect your addiction.  Rabbi Twereki suggests 10 minutes a day of messilas yesharim.  He had encouraged us to start a chabura of mesillas yesharim to compliment what we do in 12 steps.  I personally found doing tehillim each day and a dosage of shaarei teshuva (first shaar, NOT second or third) very uplifting. Many of the 12 steps corresponds with Rabeinu Yona’s steps of teshuvah, as Elya pointed out once.
11) Spend time each day reviewing reading material that will help you learn about your addiction and will guide you to recovery.  Do not jump around from book to book unless you find it very unhelpful.  Take a few days scanning different material to find what talks to you the most and then stick with it.  If you finished that material, then move on.  Great examples of reading material: Gye attitudue handbook, The Big Book. 12 & 12, Recovery Nation, or find some great books on netaddiction.
12) Take on a few easy mitzvos that will make a big difference in your day.  For example, saying modeh ani with proper kavana.  You cannot thank Hashem for life, unless you appreciate life.  You cannot appreciate it, unless you understand the value of life.  If you properly understand the value of life, the need for acting out is small (it is not so natural at first, but believe me if you try to stay clean and focus on the value and purpose of life at the same time, eventually the temptations for acting out subside in a major way). Another good one is working on saying the first pasuk of krias shema with kavana. (Dov has often pointed out that the basics of the 12 steps is in krias shema.  So do it right and it will make a difference.) 

Hope that this helps and was not too overwhelming.  Again, I am sharing my personal experience, with both the yesodos and application.  Most of what I wrote here, is a compilation of my personal journal on my computer from the past many many months of recovery. 
Last Edit: 24 Dec 2009 09:23 by mikijohn.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 24 Dec 2009 09:14 #37603

• Kollel Guy
Serious Shkoyach there Jack, very sensible post.
Last Edit: by jim123.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 24 Dec 2009 09:25 #37607

• habaletaher
  • Current streak: 23 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Dov has often pointed out that the basics of the 12 steps is in krias shema.  So do it right and it will make a difference.

Where can I find this concept?

Thanks,
Haba
Last Edit: by wydiwntthvsxifisnttme2.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 24 Dec 2009 11:58 #37653

• tester613
  • Current streak: 286 days
  • Gold Boarder
The only place to find it is by Dov himself. When he gets in here he will surely explain it you.
Last Edit: by clap6.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 24 Dec 2009 11:59 #37654

• imtrying25
  • Current streak: 16 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Any reason why im never zoche to a schmooze from R Yankel??
Last Edit: by user101.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 25 Dec 2009 03:13 #37883

• Kollel Guy
DAY 4
OK, missed zman krias shema again, 2nd time in 3 days - and probably in 3 years. Made shmoneh esrei by chatzos on the button again, wasted a ton of time on gye again (ok this one I can forgive myself for), Missed 1st seder, Late to 2nd seder, skipped night seder, I'm really feeling the Tzaddik-ness today.
BUT..... I didn't fall. I tried, wasn't able to (ROCK ON K9!!) so technically I should go back to DAY 1 again, but I have no koyach, and I didn't spend too much time trying to bust up my filter, so I'll be maikel on myself this time.
It's just that I'm getting old, pretty soon I'll be 30!! That's messed up!! There are 30 year olds who are on their way to becoming dayonim and serious talmidei chachomim. They get to consider a mesechta done b'iyun - l'halachah, as an accomplishment. And what was my most recent accomplishment? I DIDN'T WATCH ANY P**N TODAY!!! Well why don't we just bring down the avos themselves so they can come celebrate with the amazing tzaddik they have here.
I need to get my life together already!! It is so frustrating to think about what I do with my average day. And even more frustrating, is that I recognize I'm wasting my life, I realize what that means, I acknowledge what I'm paying and what I'm getting, and I can still just continue on without my realizations having any effect!!
You know what it is? I'm just numb. Numb to my own emotions. I've had to deal with so much that I didn't want to believe was true, my only solution was to train myself not to care. But now my solution is biting me. Because I WANT to care, and I can't. All I can do is be unmotivated. That's really the only emotion I can still evoke within myself. That's what we're down to rabboisai. "Unmotivation"... Is that even classified as an emotion? Is it even a word?
But then you realize that "if you really cared - you'd do something about it, obviously you don't, so shut up and stop complaining about things which you don't give a hoot about". Nobody has to motivate you to stop someone with walking off with your wallet. Why? Because you care! Your motivated! No explanations needed, no methods needed, no encouragement needed. When do you need explanations? When your trying to say how your concerned with something you don't really care about, and aren't really willing to do anything about, let alone put serious work into!
Let's hope this whole period in your life is just a yeridah, and sundays a new week, you can even chap aran a week of bereishis before shovavim, maybe actually come to sedorim on time, maybe even wake up on time, we don't want to carry it TOO far here... But b'ikur.... Stay clean
Last Edit: by shevayipoltzaddik.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 25 Dec 2009 06:57 #37919

• bardichev
Kolle guy

Chillax (chillout bla"z)

Easy easy easy

Rome wasn't built in a day and you will not change overnite either

I am an einkil of the Heliger Bardichever

I am sure he took you last post and used it as a sinayygar for klal yisroel

The kedushas Levy writes many times that Hkb"H only has hannaa from the yidden who are meluchlach from chet and return to him

Yes Tataleh Yes
Hashem has more hanaah from u amd your battle than the yungerman who is Teef in a ketzos or a shvere Rashb"a (ch"v not to mach avekk)
Your avodah is so chashuv
Every single bit of restraint every trip on the bus where u are shomer the "eyegilach"

You are shteiging!!

(As a second thought that fellow u are jealous of hey he may need the forum too)

Bardy batchy
Last Edit: by steveapril.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 25 Dec 2009 07:39 #37932

• Kollel Guy
bardichev wrote on 25 Dec 2009 06:57:

(As a second thought that fellow u are jealous of hey he may need the forum too)
Bardy batchy
That was a cheap shot, but l'maaseh u are right.
Bardy does it once again!
Last Edit: by gye457.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 25 Dec 2009 07:41 #37933

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
Kollel Guy wrote on 25 Dec 2009 03:13:

There are 30 year olds who are on their way to becoming dayonim and serious talmidei chachomim. They get to consider a mesechta done b'iyun - l'halachah, as an accomplishment. And what was my most recent accomplishment? I DIDN'T WATCH ANY P**N TODAY!!! Well why don't we just bring down the avos themselves so they can come celebrate with the amazing tzaddik they have here.

In response to what you wrote above, I suggest you read Chizuk e-mail #649 - the part called "Distortion of Reality" by Yechidah... If you don't have it, see reply #506 on Yechidah's thread on this page.

And to quote Dov, "The fact I'm sober today is enough of a reason to happy!"
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by silent200.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 25 Dec 2009 10:32 #37980

• imtrying25
  • Current streak: 16 days
  • Platinum Boarder
KG if you would ask the ketzos or nesivos or rashba or any great of all time, what you should be doing now, ill guarentee it that theyll say go to the kumzitz i mean theyll say we should be working on this. the Gaon says that are tafkid in life is what we grapple with the most. And as long as we fill our tafkid we are all the same. I saw a unbelievable sforno today on this weeks parsha and if i have time im gonna post it in the BM. I think it will help you a little. Good Shabbos and jhsbfwfcgwfgw. What does that stand for, dude?? I have no clue make it up yourself as long as its good. You can even ask bardy for some help if youd like.
Last Edit: by chayala.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 25 Dec 2009 11:01 #37986

• habaletaher
  • Current streak: 23 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear KG,

Al zeh ne'eamar "Iy atah yodea matan schara shel mitzvah!" Could be you holding back ONE TIME requires more effort that it took the Ketzos himself to write three pages of torah. For sure he got enormous pleasure from writing his Torah, whereas for you, every moment fighting is filled with pain and stress. Lifum tzara agra.

Doing everything you can do to remove the evil that is eating away at your yesod is the most important thing right now as well as that which will bring Ha-shem the most nachas ruach from you, so keep fighting the good fight!!!

Have a Heiilige Shabbos (I love Shabbos!!! No internet, almost no nisyonos, vichol dinin bidilin meenay!!!)
Haba
Last Edit: by zgz73132.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 25 Dec 2009 12:52 #38009

• bardichev
KG
Cheap Shmeep
Abi men farshtayin zich

I want to be mechazek you

You are on your path to "tahara"

Now couple that with any serious limmud

Rabboisay!! MARAN KOLLEL GUY NICHNAS LI-ULAM --YOMIM...

Oy yoy shaBbos koidesh!!

BardyBatchy

Aka badichev
Last Edit: by chaimkatz.

Re: Kollel Guy's 90 Days 25 Dec 2009 14:23 #38039

• Kollel Guy
Day 5
Erev Shabbos, not too bad today. Stayed up all night watching "innocent cartoons", tried for a few minutes to bust my filter again - but then something very weird happened. Every time the urge would start and I would consider it, I would hear myself say in my head "No, but I don't want to" and I would think to myself "Yeah, I don't want to" and they would go away. And then again a half hour later the urges again, and then the same voice. I don't know if this is normal or just a random gift from H-shem, but whatever it was I hope it kicks in again next time I start feeling weak.
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2010 00:17 by .
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes