Welcome, Guest

Jew're Gonna Make It!
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Jew're Gonna Make It! 1914 Views

Re: Keeping myself accountable 22 Feb 2021 19:22 #363961

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
jewregonnamakeit wrote on 22 Feb 2021 18:57:
Hi everyone, sad to say I fell this weekend after over a week clean. My takeaways are that I need to come on GYE every day--I love the posts I see in this thread since my last update, and in fact these ideas may have helped prevent my most recent falls. I think that setting aside time in my routine to read posts and other resources on here could help me see falls as not inevitable. My filter is also too easy to get around and it's time to invest in a stronger one. Thank you all for your fantastic posts; I hope to have better news when I report in tomorrow.

I'll write you how SMART RECOVERY  considers relapses

A relapse (“lapse,” “slip,” “setback”) is one of the most frustrating, humiliating experiences you can face in recovery from any problem habit. It leaves you feeling guilty, ashamed and tempted to throw in the towel and just keep acting out on the addiction. Unfortunately, relapse is also common. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 40 to 60 percent of people who go through addiction treatment programs go on to slip at least once. In fact, many people have multiple setbacks before finally achieving a full recovery.

Think of relapse as a stepping stone. Instead of viewing your slip as a step backward, think of it as a progression on your road to recovery. Many people lapse or relapse, and if you think of each attempt at sobriety as a means of getting closer to your end goal — a lesson in your cumulative recovery learning, so to speak — this setback won’t be in vain.

Look on the bright side. A slip may feel like the end of the world, but really, it’s an opportunity for growth and reinforcing basic life skills that need more work. Many people emerge from relapse with a fresh scare regarding what they are up against, as well as a deeper commitment to becoming sober. This renewed motivation can help you come back from a relapse even stronger than you were before.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: Keeping myself accountable 22 Feb 2021 19:34 #363964

• DeletedUser825
  • Current streak: 109 days
  • Expert Boarder

Hi everyone, sad to say I fell this weekend after over a week clean. My takeaways are that I need to come on GYE every day--I love the posts I see in this thread since my last update, and in fact these ideas may have helped prevent my most recent falls. I think that setting aside time in my routine to read posts and other resources on here could help me see falls as not inevitable. My filter is also too easy to get around and it's time to invest in a stronger one. Thank you all for your fantastic posts; I hope to have better news when I report in tomorrow.

Kol hakavod that even though you slipped, you were able to get back up and make a plan moving forward. I've found that going on GYE everyday (even multiple times if I feel im about to fall) has really been the most effective thing for me in this battle.  Also if you don't already, id recommend finding a partner on the partners program for added accountability so every time you fall or think you might fall, you can go straight to that person. Filters are also crucial; if you need a better filter, netspark has worked pretty well on my phone and webchaver screenshot accountability works well on computers (they can get expensive tho).

Anyways hope this helps 

My thread: Let's get this party started

Who the heck is Benoni?

Procrastination is something best put off until tomorrow. -Gerald Vaughan
Last Edit: 22 Feb 2021 19:35 by DeletedUser825.

Re: Keeping myself accountable 23 Feb 2021 17:55 #364067

• bt again
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you so much everyone. B''H I have been clean since my last fall on Sunday. Spoke with my therapist yesterday and he agrees my plan is good. I will also be texting him daily to let him know if I am still clean, as well as to check in on other goals. Now there are a lot of people I have to let know in the event of a fall. G-d willing this will help me hold back.

Re: Keeping myself accountable 04 Mar 2021 16:44 #364721

• bt again
  • Expert Boarder
Hi all, with infinite gratitude to Hashem I am 10 days into the rest of my life. These things are helping me so far:

1) Recognizing that everything in my life is connected: my urges to act out, mental health, physical health, relationship with Hashem, etc. Making improvements in other areas have improved my ability to deal with this addiction.

2) Accountability! With multiple apps, this site, and my therapist all needing to be updated if I fall (chas v'shalom) this has helped me hold back.

3) I also deal with procrastination that is probably worsened by this addiction. I have created a schedule to stick to and let people around me know to hold me to it. With less "dead time" and less frustration from coming up short in work/housework I am less tempted.

4) Education has helped, namely setting aside time every day to read (on GYE and other sites) about this addiction, particularly the negative effects it causes and the benefits people find when they quit.

Re: Keeping myself accountable 04 Mar 2021 16:58 #364722

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Amazing! keep it up!

Belief is a powerful driver of change. Repeat studies have shown that people have more success replacing addictions and entrenched bad habits than those who don’t believe they can change.

Believing you can give up, allows you the space to plan how to give up, as you can focus your attention, energy and motivation away from the addiction itself to efforts to break and combat the addiction.

Change is possible. Humans are designed to adapt to change.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"

Re: Keeping myself accountable 04 Mar 2021 17:01 #364723

• grant400
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Platinum Boarder
jewregonnamakeit wrote on 04 Mar 2021 16:44:
3) I also deal with procrastination that is probably worsened by this addiction. [I have created a schedule to stick to and let people around me know to hold me to it.] With less "dead time" and less frustration from coming up short in work/housework I am less tempted.

You make two opposite points here. One, that the addiction exacerbates your procrastination issues. Secondly, that the procrastination exacerbates the addiction.

Just a thought. I believe they probably feed each other, but primarily the latter, for a different reason than you wrote. 

The reason the addiction is fed by the procrastination, can be the following. When one isn't feeling accomplished and successful (for example, due to procrastination), he tends to turn to easy and quick gratification to soothe his feelings of emptiness. (Just as with any negative emotions; i.e. anxiety, stress, anger etc.)

So in essence, sticking to a strict schedule causes one to feel more accomplished, which will remove a large portion of the desire, in addition to giving one grounds to fight the urge. It isn't just about not having as much free time to dabble in these unfortunate activities.
Last Edit: 04 Mar 2021 17:02 by grant400.

Re: Keeping myself accountable 04 Mar 2021 18:31 #364730

• DeletedUser825
  • Expert Boarder

The reason the addiction is fed by the procrastination, can be the following. When one isn't feeling accomplished and successful (for example, due to procrastination), he tends to turn to easy and quick gratification to soothe his feelings of emptiness. (Just as with any negative emotions; i.e. anxiety, stress, anger etc.)

emes

Who the heck is Benoni?

Re: Keeping myself accountable 04 Mar 2021 22:30 #364749

• bt again
  • Expert Boarder
Yes, I 100% agree. I probably could have worded point #1 better: all of the things in life feed off of each other. For me personally, procrastination and addiction are two of my biggest problems, and they feed off of each other. Thanks for sharing your insight!

Re: Keeping myself accountable 05 Mar 2021 00:28 #364754

• bt again
  • Expert Boarder
Yes! This is huge and can really help in making the current quitting attempt the one that lasts. (Thanks for your previous posts as well. Your support is greatly appreciated.)

Re: Keeping myself accountable 09 Mar 2021 17:21 #365110

• bt again
  • Expert Boarder
Now holding at 15 days B''H. Keeping with my schedule and education--these are key.

Re: Keeping myself accountable 15 Mar 2021 17:40 #365423

• bt again
  • Expert Boarder
Hi all, very happy to be at 3 weeks clean now. The biggest difference for me has been from how I am specifically doing things differently this time--added accountability, staying on top of exercise, and doing my best to reduce procrastination. This helps me believe I can do it, because I know that this journey is not like the times I have tried and failed.

Re: Keeping myself accountable 15 Mar 2021 18:03 #365424

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
jewregonnamakeit wrote on 15 Mar 2021 17:40:
Hi all, very happy to be at 3 weeks clean now. The biggest difference for me has been from how I am specifically doing things differently this time--added accountability, staying on top of exercise, and doing my best to reduce procrastination. This helps me believe I can do it, because I know that this journey is not like the times I have tried and failed.

You're one of GYE's success stories! Keep on being such a great role model for me and for others!

Re: Keeping myself accountable 15 Mar 2021 18:11 #365425

• DeletedUser825
  • Expert Boarder
Amazing! It sounds like you're also improving your life in other ways. It's amazing to see how making a change in one area of your life can drastically affect another area.

Wishing you much improvement and success!

Who the heck is Benoni?

Re: Keeping myself accountable 16 Mar 2021 16:02 #365513

• bt again
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks guys! Best of luck in your journeys as well! It's interesting how the different parts of life intersect--in fact, working to beat this addiction has been a big motivator for improvements in other areas.

Re: Jew're Gonna Make It! 23 Mar 2021 16:35 #365965

• bt again
  • Expert Boarder
B''H still going strong at 29 days. The changes I made after my last fall seem to be working. I have been feeling depressed the last few days, but from what I've read that's typical at this point in the journey. Many of my strategies for overcoming this addiction are also strategies for overcoming depression, so in the interest of keeping myself accountable, today I will:
  • Go to the gym
  • Spend some time outdoors
  • Dedicate some time to reading a book
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes