Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Think Good 16128 Views

Re: Think Good 04 Jun 2009 13:28 #5723

• think good
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Gold Boarder
Very hectic week but just to let you know I just passed 45 days!

Thanks Guard and everyone for your support.

I don't have a lot of time to post, but I reading the daily email and watching your struggles is very good chizuk.

Last Edit: by .

Re: Think Good 07 Jun 2009 10:44 #5838

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
That's tremendous! Do you want to be on the 90 day chart?
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by .

Re: Think Good 07 Jun 2009 13:20 #5855

• think good
  • Gold Boarder
If it will help encourage others go ahead.
Last Edit: by even.

Re: Think Good 07 Jun 2009 13:26 #5858

• the.guard
Will it encourage you? If yes, send in the info as per the rules on this page.

Keep up the good work!
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: by hakolyachol.

Re: Think Good 18 Jun 2009 06:33 #6564

• think good
  • Gold Boarder
My 58th clean day - just keep the CHIZZUK coming.

Mazeltov to Bardichev.

Last Edit: by Reut GYE.

Re: Think Good 20 Jun 2009 22:15 #6799

• the.guard
I updated your chart! I can see how the second half of the saying from your name "Tracht Gut" is happening already. "es iz shoin GUT!"
Last Edit: 20 Jun 2009 22:28 by elkana.

Re: Think Good 29 Jun 2009 07:39 #7604

• think good
  • Gold Boarder
Today's my 69th day.

keep up the chizuk
Last Edit: by דעתי_עליה.

Re: Think Good 01 Jul 2009 18:44 #7918

• battleworn
70 is considered a lifetime! (yom lashonoh) It's time to celebrate! With simcha shel mitzvah life is so bright!
Last Edit: by endofmytether.

Re: Think Good 04 Jul 2009 21:23 #8123

• the.guard
I updated your chart to Level 6! Mazal Tov on 70 clean days!
Last Edit: by tryingtoconnect24.

Re: Think Good 14 Jul 2009 13:47 #8755

• think good
  • Gold Boarder
Today's post is amazing. I have been having a lot of bad thoughts the past few days, BH I'm still clean, but was wondering why I suddenly have the old yh back after a very good stretch when he disappeared.

Maybe the very reason Igeret HaTeshuva (third section of Tanya) is learned during the three weeks is because of the power of the evil forces.

We all need to be especially careful not just with guarding ourselfs from our main sin, but extra careful with all the "small" sins like guarding our tongues and showing great chesed.

May HaShem give all of us the strength to remain strong.

Igeret HaTeshuva , end of Chapter 7

ואף מי שלא עבר על עון כרת וגם לא על עון מיתה בדי שמים

Even one who has never violated a sin punishable by excision or a sin incurring death by divine agency, such as vain emission and the like

שהוא הוצאת זרע לבטלה וכהאי גוונא
והנה, כמו שבמשל הזה, אם משים אדם נגד אור השמש בחלון מחיצות קלות וקלושות לרוב מאד, הן מאפילות כמו מחיצה אחת עבה, ויותר

In the illustration, if one obscures the sunlight streaming through a window with many fine and flimsy curtains, they will darken as much as one thick curtain will, and even more.

וככה ממש הוא בנמשל

This is exactly so in the analogue,

בכל עונות שאדם דש בעקביו

with all those cloud-like sins upon which man tramples indifferently, because they seem to be of little import: they obscure the Divine light by their multitudinous repetition as do many fine curtains, “darkening as much as one thick curtain will, and even more”;

ומכל שכן המפורסמות מדברי רז״ל, שהן ממש כעבודה זרה וגילוי עריות ושפיכות דמים

and certainly with those sins that our Sages often warned against, that are actually like idolatry, immorality and bloodshed.

כמו העלמת עין מן הצדקה

For example:5 ignoring the needy,

כמו שכתוב: השמר לך פן יהיה דבר עם לבבך בליעל וגו׳

concerning which Scripture writes,6 “Beware lest there be in your heart something unworthy….”

ובליעל היא עבודת אלילים וכו׳

Beliyaal (here translated “unworthy”) is used in reference to idolatry7..., from which we learn that ignoring the needy is likened to idolatry.

והמספר בגנות חבירו, היא לשון הרע, השקולה כעבודה זרה וגילוי עריות ושפיכות דמים

Or talebearing, the evil tongue, that is equated to idolatry, immorality, and bloodshed.8

וכל הכועס כאילו עובד עבודה זרה

Likewise, the vile-tempered is like the idolatrous,9

וכן מי שיש בו גסות הרוח

and so is the arrogant.10

וכהנה רבות בגמרא

There are many such cases described in the Talmud — of sins whose punishment is not as severe as that of idolatry and the like, but which nonetheless effect a similar spiritual blemish,

ותלמוד תורה כנגד כולן

and [the sin of neglecting] the study of the Torah equals them all.

6. Devarim 15:9.
7. Note of the Rebbe: “Until here, as in the Gemara, loc. cit., and Sanhedrin 111b.”
8. Note of the Rebbe: “Arachin 15b.”
9. Zohar II, 182b; Rambam, Hilchot De‘ot 2:3.
10. Cf. Sotah 4b.
Last Edit: by allyours.

Re: Think Good 14 Jul 2009 15:43 #8761

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
Hello Think Good,

See Igros Moshe Orach Chaim 4:116, who proves from the Rambam that Hotza'as Zera Levatalah does not, in fact, carry the punishment of Misa Biydei Shamayim, contrary to the simple understanding of the Gemarrah.  Rav Moshe also states that, even if it were to carry the punishment of Misa Biydei Shamayim, Teshuva and Yom Kippur would be sufficient to achieve Kaparrah (Yisurim would not be necessary).  Most important, Rav Moshe states emphatically that Teshuvas Hamishkol (such as by fasting) is not an Ikuv in Teshuva, and that it is Asur to say otherwise, because you will discourage people from doing Teshuva.
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!
Last Edit: by strugle613.

Re: Think Good 15 Jul 2009 07:50 #8813

• think good
  • Gold Boarder
Nice Kedusha, I will look up the Igros Moshe tonight when I get home, bn.

Earlier in Igeret HaTeshuva it is stated "in our generation, ( The Alter Rebbe was talking about HIS generation) only the most robust people fasted". So clearly in our time most of us are simply too weak to fast.

In the first chapter of Igeret HaTeshuva it says:-

ולכן לא הזכירו הרמב״ם והסמ״ג שום תענית כלל במצות התשובה, אף בכריתות ומיתות בית דין

It is for this reason that the Rambam and Sefer Mitzvot Gadol18 make no mention whatever of fasting as related to the mitzvah of repentance, even in the case of sins punishable by excision or capital sins.

I.e., fasting is not required even with regard to those sins whose atonement is completed through suffering.

רק הוידוי ובקשת מחילה, כמו שכתוב בתורה: והתודו את חטאתם וגו׳

They cite only confessing [verbally] and requesting forgiveness; as the Torah prescribes,19 “They shall confess their sin….”
Last Edit: by Hardcore613.

Re: Think Good 16 Jul 2009 16:46 #8952

• think good
  • Gold Boarder
FALL

sorry I really thought I was going to make it to 90.

As I mentioned my yh has been working overtime and finally I succumbed.

The only good thing I can say is I have all of you for support and am going to make a bigger effort this time.
Last Edit: by jjoseph.mj.

Re: Think Good 16 Jul 2009 17:25 #8953

• bardichev
tracht gut vettt zayn gutt

SEE FELL SHMELL

AND GO VAYYYYYYTERR
Last Edit: by Yentemunkey.

Re: Think Good 16 Jul 2009 20:00 #8966

• battleworn
Now is your chance to live up to your namesake, think good. Look at it this way. You did 70+ days, now you can do 70+ years!
Think about it; 70 days of Shechina Bitachtonim to the extreme, 70 days of אתכפיא למעלה מדרך הטבע. And what about getting right back up after the nefilah and coming to this Mokom Kodosh for chizuk. No malach can ever dream of giving HKB"H such nachas ru'ach.

CHAZAK VE'EMATZ!!!
Last Edit: by giladl.
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes