Welcome, Guest

Week 2-3... and on
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Week 2-3... and on 457 Views

Week 2-3... and on 26 Apr 2020 16:08 #348766

• yosef10
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Gold Boarder
Hi, I hope everyone is doing well in this crazy time. I heard that once one passes week 1 of being clean and kosher, the following weeks (2 and 3) get increasingly difficult. Does anyone have any battle strategies to help me get though and be successful.
​Also, what am I even preparing myself for?
"Sometimes the only Bechira we have is to ask for help"

Maybe you can gain something by following my journey... Or not, whatever works
MY Forum

Re: Week 2-3... and on 26 Apr 2020 19:54 #348778

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
Dov has a nice piece on the struggle getting easier as time goes on. @Markz, do you happen to know the ma'arei makom?
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread

Re: Week 2-3... and on 27 Apr 2020 02:47 #348790

yosef10 wrote on 26 Apr 2020 16:08:
Hi, I hope everyone is doing well in this crazy time. I heard that once one passes week 1 of being clean and kosher, the following weeks (2 and 3) get increasingly difficult. Does anyone have any battle strategies to help me get though and be successful.
​Also, what am I even preparing myself for?

Here are a couple things I find helpful to keep in mind:

1) Testosterone is a hormone that stimulates the sexual drive. There are some studies that show that testosterone does increase with abstaining from sexual activity. These different studies saw an increase after a week (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12659241) and 3 weeks (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11760788) respectively. I'm no scientist, but it seems like there is good reason to say that there are some biological reasons why it would get harder after abstaining for a week. I think just knowing this can be helpful. When I know what might be contributing to me feeling a certain way, it makes me feel less at the mercy of these invisible forces of urges and desires. Basically less helpless.

2) I don't think you need to prepare for the future. As Dov is fond is saying (paraphrasing), you can't be sober for tommorow today. Basically this is life for most people, I don't know if this challenge goes away. It's called being human. Can it get easier and do the challenges change? Yes, they can. But I don't even know what I'm ranting and raving about anymore Hope by some stroke of luck some of the above was helpful. If not, you know why we have two ears
If you are really bored, you can check out my original thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/305558-Journey-of-one-day-at-a-time 

"Think good and it will be good!"

Re: Week 2-3... and on 27 Apr 2020 03:00 #348791

• yosef10
  • Gold Boarder
Thank you, I guess I have a lot coming at me over the next couple of weeks.

​Hopefully going to keep posting on the forum. For anyone that is of some reason interested, or thinks they can help, (any response gives me chizuk) Heres my link...https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/348493-Lets-do-this#348783

MY Forum

Re: Week 2-3... and on 27 Apr 2020 06:18 #348815

• Jj123
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Expert Boarder
I can say for myself that remembering the following two things have been helpful to me:
1) Its normal for things to get really, really tough at times, with urges that feel insurmountable.
2) The urges will fade. Sometimes after a few seconds or minutes, sometimes after a few hours. 

Re: Week 2-3... and on 27 Apr 2020 19:52 #348843

• yosef10
  • Gold Boarder
Singularity wrote on 26 Apr 2020 19:54:
Dov has a nice piece on the struggle getting easier as time goes on. @Markz, do you happen to know the ma'arei makom?

Hi, any chance you were able to dig this up?

MY Forum

Re: Week 2-3... and on 28 Apr 2020 06:15 #348861

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
yosef10 wrote on 27 Apr 2020 19:52:

Singularity wrote on 26 Apr 2020 19:54:

Hi, any chance you were able to dig this up?i

I think it's from one of his 12-step workshops. I'll paraphrase:

He chuckles when people come to him and say (in a thick chassidish accent) "I can hold myself for x days..." and then he goes on to explain how they feel the struggle gets worse every day because it's like holding your breath or pushing down this spring that eventually is just going to burst forth, it's just a matter of time, whereas the spiritual 12-step approach is to surrender each day so the accumulation of time doesn't become some sort of precedence, and then the passing of time doesn't get more difficult. 

His idea of one day at a time, which is my best understood, is that, you can push as much as you want today, it won't exempt you from having to go to the bathroom tomorrow. It's not the idea of, "I can hold on for one day, then one more, then one more, and eventually I'll get 90 days", it's more the idea of "There IS only today. There's nothing else that I can really do or change." And living like that negates the buildup of mostly imagined pressure.

That being said, he does acknowledge withdrawal symptoms but says they'd vanish in 2 or 3 weeks, so maybe that's something to take into account.

As for me, I have felt and lived the ODAAT reality and done so for long stretches of sobriety, but I'm still what you'd call a chronic relapser So I guess you'd call it progress, not perfection.. 

Hope this helps
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread

Re: Week 2-3... and on 28 Apr 2020 17:46 #348879

• yosef10
  • Gold Boarder
Wow, I think that is a great way to put it.

​I guess now I just owe it to myself to see what it feels like without the withdrawal symptoms. 
(But since it's one day at a time then I guess theres no week 2 and week 3:)

MY Forum
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes