Welcome, Guest

Journey of one day at a time
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Journey of one day at a time 144008 Views

Re: Journey of one day at a time 02 May 2017 17:50 #312123

Day 81:Yo!!! Still alive and I haven't exploded. I read an ebook today entitled "know thy will". It's about willpower. I read some awesome stuff in there! 

Here are some them:

1. One part of the brain is called the limbic system. It's the primitive part of the brain. This is where we get desire from. The other part is called the prefrontal cortex. That is where we get the power to say no. So turns out that saying no is just as natural as having temptations. 

2. If you have a strong why then it becomes easier to say no. This was part of my problem recently. I wasn't seeing the point of it all. I was unhappy before, when I was acting out, and I was unhappy when I was sober as well. So it's important to get a strong why. You can call this the "I want" (my long term goal) part of willpower. It doesn't have to be dramatic. It can be as simple as I don't want to lust or act out because I want to live an honest (not double) life. This is very effective for apparently, using your "I will" or "I won't" power takes up much more energy than the "I want" power.

3.When it comes to getting yourself to do things, instead of saying "I have to", say "I get to". The reason this works is because it shifts you from using your "I will power" to your "I want power." 

4. Instead of saying "I can't lust or act out", say "I don't lust or act out. This works for the same reason mentioned above. 

5. I think this is the most important one: no matter how tempted, tired, or how wired our brains are or whatever, we can always say no. 

P.S Grateful that Hashem gave me the strength not to act out last night. Grateful to all of you who responded to my SOS. PROUD of myself for not giving in. Not proud that I started lusting, but proud still, that I managed to stop myself. But you know what? Forget that. Forget the not proud part. You know why? I'm sick of beating myself up. It doesn't help one bit. 
If you are really bored, you can check out my original thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/305558-Journey-of-one-day-at-a-time 

"Think good and it will be good!"
Last Edit: 02 May 2017 17:54 by Ihavestrength.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 02 May 2017 18:04 #312126

• mayanhamisgaber
  • Current streak: 44 days
  • Platinum Boarder
You are getting close to the next challenge here is a gem and a blast from the past that might help us (some of it is not relevant but enjoy)

kutan wrote on 31 Dec 2009 18:28:
For YKV_S and everyone, I am reposting these two together... the Rebbe Reb Bar. and the Rebbe R' Dov... an amazing duet.
Also, for all the lawyers on GYE, I'm noting that I alread logged an official complaint with General Guard as to why this was not deemed ACE.
Enjoy!

Ok let's talk about addiction I want to speak to the hearts and minds of the vetrans here.
I am entitled I give a lot of attenion to all newbies +++

Ok if you are past 90 days here is some food for thought

#1 its not fun any more

#2 there is no WAR

#3 the "C" bomb complacency

#4 ok this is only for real recovering addicts

Nuu zug shoin

I want to want shmuts but I really don't want it but I really reallt do yet I reaLly don't
(Only my rebberebber=DOV can explain that)

#5 the forum is for addicts?? Huh!! Hey I thought it was a kosher social network monitored by Guard kedusha and 7up

Ok vuss zugst dee bardichever darshan?

I need Chizzuk
Efshar needs chizzuk
Noorah needs chizzuk
Yes yes even (even is the best word in the Yiddish language)
Even dov=rebbereber needs chizzuk

While I await chizzuk

I will get up front in my cab fire up the old engine and
KEEP ON TRUCKIN!!!

Rabbi Bard E. Chev
Chief Rabbi of
Woodford KY

Dear Reb b,

Sorry for being so late but my only internet access is from work and was ill yesterday so missed all the action from whenever. My "boss" went a bit ballistic about email use and stuff like that, too, and lunch today was a wash, so...this is the earliest I could be on here with a (semi) clear head.

Hope you are OK. That's selfish because you make me smile in the most unexpected times. And I've never even met you! I have a l'Chayim (W!) every Shabbos se'udah after the fish and say "for the berdichever" and my kids ask me who that is and I tell them it was a great man I never met. Nu. I smile. They wonder if I should be sent to a nursing home a bit early....

Your 5 points. Ahh. Oyy.

Just a reality check first. My wife just called me to let me know that an old friend of mine just lost his wife from a sudden illness, R"l. All I can say is boruch Dayan ha'emess while my heart drips tears. He must know exactly what He is doing. Gevalt, gevalt. How is a person supposed to go on bichlal? I have no idea, no idea. May Hashem give him superhuman strength, show him love from people that goes way beyond normal, and shine into his heart that is breaking open and somehow give him the ability to stay sane and be His eved. Please help this man remember his children and all the other riches he has in this life and have some kind of a nechoma. I don't know what else to say and keep stopping to cry.. Please. May the folks on GYE, Hashem's sensitive bunch with beautiful hearts, daven for this man.
I'm going to go home be"H as soon as I'm done with GYE and say hi to my wife and try to tell her how I feel about her being my partner here and in the hereafter. Better yet, I'll spend less time that I want to on GYE and go home to her a bit early. Actions speak louder than words...

(I actually wrote the below earlier but couldn't finish it until after unburdening my heart and put the reality check first, b, because something told me it was min haShomayim, maybe to help you somehow, or just to share it and help me somehow...what's the difference?)

As far as schmutz not being fun is concerned, AAs say "being a drunk ruins your drinking". Yeah, it won't be fun any more. I commiserate. As far as recovery not being fun is concerned, recovery gets real boring until I get a fire lit under by (expletive removed by RATM - thanks rage) by #3, then #2 is botul, and suddenly it's fun again! It's amazing what a challenge it is to actually find a real big chunk of wood in shark-infested waters after a shipwreck! And looking for it is just riveting (and exciting)! Well, maybe not "fun", technically....

As far as "I want to want blah, blah...", it's OK (not good, just OK) to want it. We, of all Hashem's people, need to go easy on ourselves when we do. And our response needs to be a little smile and a "well.....there I go again! heh, heh.." and call someone (or post) about it soon. It means nothing. Absolutely nothing. If we struggle or incriminate ourselves "for stooping so low!" then we are dead. It's just a blip, bump, or bleep. Probably more like a bleep....

...and then get back to work.

I love you, b. (but not a scratch of a scratch as much as He does!)

- Dov

very important thread: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/19180-FEEL-THE-HUGS%21%21%21" option="guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/19180-FEEL-THE-HUGS%21%21%21">FEEL THE HUGS!!!

Re: Journey of one day at a time 03 May 2017 00:40 #312165

• cordnoy
GrowStrong wrote on 02 May 2017 06:53:

Ihavenostrength wrote on 02 May 2017 05:53:

GrowStrong wrote on 02 May 2017 05:22:
IHaveNoStrength
The clarity of your recovery is truly admirable and worthy of massive brochah.
May Hashem bless you with shefa in everything you do.

I don't feel worthy. I feel like a disgusting pervert. 

Note the attitude, it can be changed.
I have spoken to quite a few people in the past few months who are grateful to be perverts.

For the record, I am not.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 03 May 2017 13:12 #312201

Day 82: I would have never thought that the last ten days would be the hardest  
If you are really bored, you can check out my original thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/305558-Journey-of-one-day-at-a-time 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 03 May 2017 13:22 #312202

• GrowStrong
  • Current streak: 2153 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • OMAAT

Day 82: I would have never thought that the last ten days would be the hardest  

no comment, will leave that to the ones who can comment.
Last Edit: 03 May 2017 13:22 by GrowStrong.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 03 May 2017 13:59 #312205

• shlomo24
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Gosh
If you're an LGBTQ or LGBTQ-questioning person and looking for someone who can understand you, feel free to reach out. I promise no judgement and to try and listen the best I can. 

Email: iam24zman@gmail.com

Re: Journey of one day at a time 03 May 2017 19:31 #312234

• mayanhamisgaber
  • Platinum Boarder
Last ten days of what?
your life?!?!?!?!?!?
very important thread: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/19180-FEEL-THE-HUGS%21%21%21" option="guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/19180-FEEL-THE-HUGS%21%21%21">FEEL THE HUGS!!!

Re: Journey of one day at a time 03 May 2017 22:48 #312245

MayanHamisgaber wrote on 03 May 2017 19:31:
Last ten days of what?
your life?!?!?!?!?!?

I was referring to the last ten days of the 90 challenge​. But I suppose you knew that .

I just thought that by day 80 the urges would have​ weakened somewhat. In reality they only intensified.

Why is this? I suppose it's because, "if nothing changes, nothing changes." So if nothing changed (within me), why would the urges have subsided? 

(In truth, if you only look at this problem as a bad habit that developed and became ingrained within the mind, then it's understandable why you would expect the desire to weaken with abstinence, for refraining should fight the compulsivity that exists within addictions.) 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 04 May 2017 01:44 #312256

• tiger
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Expert Boarder
Your saying good stuff, I think lot's of us had passed 90 Days and then found ourselves back again and sometimes in even worse shape (I just reset my 90 Days last week)!

Why it happens is a good question, but does it really matter if we have the urge or not?? ! Maybe we will have a urge till 120 years!! I think what's important is to start learning that  urge means nothing to us, big deal so you saw a pretty women, most people's don't go crazy when they see something hot!! Yes they are attracted but move on,we somehow get stuck and feel the need to go till the end, we go nuts!! 

May we all have the brains to realize this when we are triggered and learn to smile and say no this is not normal

Re: Journey of one day at a time 04 May 2017 03:58 #312260

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
The excitement of hitting 90 fizzles out relatively quickly. It is helpful in the back of our minds to continue setting goals for auspicious numbers 100, 120, 150, 180, etc. or any number that means something to you. Of course using the one day at a time method.   Those of us who are triggered by anxiety and the necessity for release should be aware that the 90 excitement itself can shake one up to the extent that ironically it brings to acting out.   After all is said and done we have to realize that for many of us 90 is an awesome accomplishment. GYE was brilliant when they designed the 90 day system. So many people that previously couldn't get past 4 or 5 days (if even that) showed themselves it could be done. So even if they fell after 90, they had the courage to start again. Hatzlocha to all.
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Journey of one day at a time 04 May 2017 09:05 #312266

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
re the last ten days of your life sugya:

GO HERE!

Can't Truck along if you ain't got steam..

(train along?)
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread
Last Edit: 04 May 2017 09:06 by Singularity.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 04 May 2017 09:09 #312267

Listened to that call actually Oh and I love that train. His name is Thomas ain't it? Used to be my fav show me thinks. 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 04 May 2017 21:56 #312319

Day 83: Trying to do what is right and responsible one decision at a time. 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 04 May 2017 21:56 #312320

Day 83: Trying to do what is right and responsible, one decision at a time. 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 04 May 2017 22:25 #312322

• mayanhamisgaber
  • Platinum Boarder
Hope all is well

KOMTNMW
Time to create page: 0.72 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes