Welcome, Guest

Journey of one day at a time
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Journey of one day at a time 143838 Views

Re: Journey of one day at a time 14 Feb 2017 06:08 #305802

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
Hashem Help Me wrote on 14 Feb 2017 02:22:

Ihavenostrength wrote on 14 Feb 2017 01:47:
Day 4: Feeling a bit more settled today. Time heals for sure. It's just that it takes much longer than a couple days for me to regain a semblance of sanity and stability. Still feeling irritable. Trying not to feel too bad for not being very friendly to people. It's difficult to see the good in others when you can't find the good in yourself.

Haven't been keeping up with what I need to learn daily. Didn't learn anything at all today. I'm in yeshiva, however no one is forcing me to do anything or show up. I just need to know the material for the several major tests that occur throughout the year. It seems when I'm down, I can't force myself to do anything I'm not keen on doing. Heck, I have trouble even doing things that are supposedly pleasurable. Like reading, listening to music, even watching a movie. When I hear about how people use leisure activities to escape their daily stresses, it's like hearing about the customs of a foreign nation in a faraway land. 

I read a couple of "90 day journey" threads today. The entirety of "singularity's" thread, and finished up what I began reading yesterday on "mayanhamisgaber's" thread.

Practiced some guitar today and took a long walk. 

You are going through the normal and expected withdrawal symptoms. Exercise is a fantastic reliever so your walk was a good idea and exercise should become a daily ritual (without becoming obsessive about it). Music is great too. Keep up the good work. It pays.  Hatzlocha!

I agree. Reading my entire thread is a massive sign of withdrawal

But I must say I'm touched. Did you learn anything? I'm a completely transformed person since last July, BH BH BH!!! May it be with you.

Is it you don't want to do leisure things, or you would like to, but feel guilty that you're not learning?
Do you want to learn in Yeshiva? Will getting a degree be a healthier discourse for you? A greater sense of purpose? Try not to do things just because you're expected to do them.
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread

Re: Journey of one day at a time 14 Feb 2017 18:46 #305861

Good questions. I don't have any good answers right now. 
If you are really bored, you can check out my original thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/305558-Journey-of-one-day-at-a-time 

"Think good and it will be good!"

Re: Journey of one day at a time 14 Feb 2017 18:59 #305865

I was looking at my personal 90 day chart and I realized I was counting the days wrong. Apparently today is day 4, not yesterday. So here goes.

Day 4: Have a really sore throat. Think it's from the exercise yesterday, breathing in all the cold air through my mouth. Then I got pretty nauseous from taking advil on an empty stomach. Tough life eh?

I noticed something else on my personal chart/calender. My 90th day is the day after pesach sheini. I thought that was cool since pesach sheini is all about second chances. I wish I could speed up time...

I started crossing off days on the personalized calendar via a PDF editor. It makes me feel as if I'm making a mark on the chart, actually progressing. It's funny, because usually I would try not to focus on days. In fact I usually fell when I did. However, right now I'm in a place where I'm not trying to forget or distract myself from the problem. I need a goal. So I count the days. I also need to believe that even if I notice how many days I've done or didn't do, it's always my responsibility to choose. 
If you are really bored, you can check out my original thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/305558-Journey-of-one-day-at-a-time 

Last Edit: 14 Feb 2017 19:12 by Ihavestrength. Reason: Forgot something

Re: Journey of one day at a time 15 Feb 2017 02:51 #305894

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Your attitude is great. Refuah shleima on your throat. Keep up the exercise. Hatzlocha!
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Journey of one day at a time 15 Feb 2017 04:57 #305917

Thanks. Btw here is something I read today. It's from a book called "10% happier" by Dan Harris. He's writing about his addiction to cocaine. Reading this gave me an expanded definition of withdrawal symptoms. It's not only the discomfort from prolonged abstinence from the "drug", but also the low that follows it's usage. I presume that this is what you and singularity were referring to when you said I was experiencing "normal and expected withdrawal symptoms". 

"Sadly, the pain of the comedown was proportional to the power of the high. Reality reentered the scene with a pickax. The lesson for the neophyte drug taker was that there is no free lunch, neurologically speaking. On the day after ecstasy, my serotonin stores would be utterly depleted. I often found myself overwhelmed by a soul-sucking sense of emptiness, a hollowed-out husk of a man." 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 15 Feb 2017 07:18 #305922

• Singularity
  • Platinum Boarder
Ihavenostrength wrote on 15 Feb 2017 04:57:
Thanks. Btw here is something I read today. It's from a book called "10% happier" by Dan Harris. He's writing about his addiction to cocaine. Reading this gave me an expanded definition of withdrawal symptoms. It's not only the discomfort from prolonged abstinence from the "drug", but also the low that follows it's usage. I presume that this is what you and singularity were referring to when you said I was experiencing "normal and expected withdrawal symptoms". 

"Sadly, the pain of the comedown was proportional to the power of the high. Reality reentered the scene with a pickax. The lesson for the neophyte drug taker was that there is no free lunch, neurologically speaking. On the day after ecstasy, my serotonin stores would be utterly depleted. I often found myself overwhelmed by a soul-sucking sense of emptiness, a hollowed-out husk of a man." 

We act out as a way of dealing with stress. If we no longer act out, we actually need to deal with stress.

But how?

My Thread

Re: Journey of one day at a time 15 Feb 2017 07:36 #305926

Find alternative methods to relieve it, I suppose. Each person is different. Some through exercise others through writing.

Although I should say I have moved beyond the point where it's the way I get through my day. I usually fall after about month and then get back up right away.

What usually makes me fall is less about everyday stresses and more about not having anything enjoyable or fulfilling going on in my life. I don't think it's possible to live without real pleasure. I think we need to find something that gives us healthy pleasure and meaning.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 15 Feb 2017 08:40 #305935

• Singularity
  • Platinum Boarder
I like it.

Now it's up to you. Find the meaning!

My Thread

Re: Journey of one day at a time 15 Feb 2017 12:30 #305941

• Hashem Help Me
  • Platinum Boarder
Ihavenostrength wrote on 15 Feb 2017 07:36:

What usually makes me fall is less about everyday stresses and more about not having anything enjoyable or fulfilling going on in my life. I don't think it's possible to live without real pleasure. I think we need to find something that gives us healthy pleasure and meaning.

Very well said and very true. Try connecting more with people, exercising, and maybe add an interesting shiur to your schedule - something that you enjoy. Keep us posted what you attempt and what works. If you feel like c"v falling send out a post. If seen you will get responses that can be helpful 

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Journey of one day at a time 15 Feb 2017 19:58 #305961

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Ihavenostrength wrote on 14 Feb 2017 18:59:
I was looking at my personal 90 day chart and I realized I was counting the days wrong. Apparently today is day 4, not yesterday. So here goes. 

I encourage you to keep counting. Just keep in mind that you can no longer count with a bracha

Re: Journey of one day at a time 16 Feb 2017 03:51 #305976

Day 5: I caught the the flu which sorta sucks. Listened to a recording of yesterday's morning call with dov. It was my first time listening to one of his calls. 

Pretty informative. Also a bit depressing to be honest. He talked about why this problem is especially prevalent in the Jewish community. He made some pretty good points.

He also slammed into GYE a bit. He talked about how the anonymity of GYE doesn't allow for real honesty. People only share the bad things they've done, not the full picture of who they are. Which obviously would be very unsafe to do. 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 16 Feb 2017 05:09 #305981

• Hashem Help Me
  • Platinum Boarder
Refua shleima and keep on doing whatever works for you.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 16 Feb 2017 07:43 #305994

• Singularity
  • Platinum Boarder
Ihavenostrength wrote on 16 Feb 2017 03:51:
Day 5: I caught the the flu which sorta sucks. Listened to a recording of yesterday's morning call with dov. It was my first time listening to one of his calls. 

Pretty informative. Also a bit depressing to be honest. He talked about why this problem is especially prevalent in the Jewish community. He made some pretty good points.

He also slammed into GYE a bit. He talked about how the anonymity of GYE doesn't allow for real honesty. People only share the bad things they've done, not the full picture of who they are. Which obviously would be very unsafe to do. 

Yeah I understand his view that GYE is a stepping stone and for people with a real problem, it should just advise on the next step. Sticking around here and stopping might be detrimental. But you gotta know yourself.

I like his anonymity vs. secrecy thing. Anonymous is an SA meeting. You "know" each other, are more honest. Secrecy is completely hiding beging a username. What does he use? Teshuva613. ChickenNugget. He's funny.

My Thread

Re: Journey of one day at a time 16 Feb 2017 17:06 #306017

• mike dupont
  • Current streak: 181 days
  • Senior Boarder
First of all I'd like to join the others in congratulating you for your great work.
I don't want to spoil the party but IMHO reaching the 90 days shouldn't be THE goal; it's an important milestone but this is it.
Keep in mind ODAT, no need to stress for what tomorrow will bring.
What everyone should focus on is finding what works best for you. As others mentioned we're all different creatures, having different needs and strengths and responding in different ways.
You should feel happy and thankful that you got so wise at your age, it took me many more years and it wasn't until my wife found out that I started doing anything about my addiction. In the past I had had good intentions but that was what they were.
I also agree with the others in suggesting to exercise more. You're a young guy, why don't you go running instead of walking? It releases dopamine into your brain and it gives you something to brag about. Believe me, when you start reaching longer distances and participating at races you will feel good. 
Running is also very similar to fighting addictions; you build up slowly but surely having a goal in mind.
From my experience I learned that willpower isn't enough; the fights become very difficult and every fall makes you feel a loser (which you are NOT, it's the YH who wants you to believe it).
Whatever day it is today, KOL HAKAVOD, go on
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

Re: Journey of one day at a time 16 Feb 2017 18:07 #306018

Thank you. I think you're absolutely right about the running.

I have a problem with my foot. Until I get that sorted out, running is off the table.

Also, what does IMHO stand for? Someone really needs to make a glossary for all these acronyms!

Last Edit: 20 Mar 2017 02:42 by Ihavestrength.
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes