Welcome, Guest

Starting today...
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Starting today... 5277 Views

Starting today... 23 Jan 2017 22:29 #304011

• thehopeful123321
  • Current streak: 173 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, I have finished installing the filters on all of my devices. I have been "clean" for a while now. Since I installed the filters on my first devices, about a month. However, I am very frustrated that my addiction to Internet things has found other ways to sustain itself in the form of youtube videos, online reading, and audiobooks. Non of these is explicit in anyway, some online news, some videos about gadgets, and nice science fiction novel. But the end result has been that I have lost much time to these occupations and so it is as if I have replaced one addiction with another, time-wise. And so, I am starting my chart count as of today and I will do my very best to avoid those other things as well that take away from my time.
Good luck to everyone.

Re: Starting today... 23 Jan 2017 22:40 #304013

• Watson
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome. You're in the right place.

First of all please take time to read through the GYE handbook.  No two people are the same, everyone has a slightly different set of circumstances, but we all share this problem and since we share the problem we can share the solution too. The book is written in a general way so it can apply to everyone. I found it helpful to really think about what the book was saying and how it applied to me and my own life.

This is a very common problem nowadays, you're far from the only one to deal with it. The word addict gets thrown around quite a lot, but most people who struggle with this issue are not addicts, just normal people with a normal yetzer hora. Which is good. Some people have come to realise that they really are addicts because their situation got gradually worse and worse despite working on it. When I say worse I mean, in frequency, severity or just feeling worse after every slip. If that is the case we may need more than GYE, which most people find to be therapy or SA or both. But I wouldn't jump to that conclusion about you. Many people have overcome this challenge right here on GYE using the tools in the handbook.

So stick around. Keep posting, keep reading and keep on trucking.

Re: Starting today... 24 Jan 2017 05:22 #304047

• thanks613
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Gold Boarder
Hatzlacha with the new plan. And welcome!

Re: Starting today... 24 Jan 2017 07:05 #304048

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
Welcome!

The problem with my own browsing online for nonsense stuff that isn't necessarily explicit is that it usually leads me deeper and deeper until I have already drowned. So I like you included that into your 90-day parameters. But it's a level. I'd hate to say I "fell" if I played a game of online chess, lol. Hal'vai!!
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread

Re: Starting today... 24 Jan 2017 20:35 #304138

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Welcome!

Re: Starting today... 25 Jan 2017 05:32 #304176

• thanks613
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Gold Boarder
Singularity wrote on 24 Jan 2017 07:05:
Welcome!

The problem with my own browsing online for nonsense stuff that isn't necessarily explicit is that it usually leads me deeper and deeper until I have already drowned. So I like you included that into your 90-day parameters. But it's a level. I'd hate to say I "fell" if I played a game of online chess, lol. Hal'vai!!

Maskim.  

What about 22 games of online chess, all 20 levels of sniper 3000, and 43 youtube clips?  Hypothetically of course..  

Re: Starting today... 25 Jan 2017 07:07 #304180

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
thanks613 wrote on 25 Jan 2017 05:32:

Singularity wrote on 24 Jan 2017 07:05:
Welcome!

Maskim.  

What about 22 games of online chess, all 20 levels of sniper 3000, and 43 youtube clips?  Hypothetically of course..  

depends if the youtube vids are of chess games or squash games. Then you can make a chakirah
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread

Re: Starting today... 29 Jan 2017 22:17 #304556

• thehopeful123321
  • Fresh Boarder
So for the past week I have stayed "clean" in the most agreed upon sense of the word here, however, I have wasted time on online nonsense and distractions and procrastinated to the point that I now have to midterms in university in the next two day and I am only now starting to study. I have decided I will reset my 90 day count as it is an extension of my addiction. 

Also, I would like to hear more of what people here think, whether or not this warrants a reset of my day count or am I being to harsh on my self?

Re: Starting today... 29 Jan 2017 22:18 #304557

• thehopeful123321
  • Fresh Boarder
What do you mean by chakira? interrogation? research? of squash? I feel like i'm missing something here...

Re: Starting today... 29 Jan 2017 22:26 #304558

• GrowStrong
  • Current streak: 2153 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • OMAAT
Personally I think you are setting yourself up for a much harder task with all these chumras 
focus the 90 days in the basics 
concentrate on guarding your eyes and your hands!
maybe after 90 days you can add more chumros  

Re: Starting today... 30 Jan 2017 03:12 #304565

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Yup, looks like overdoing it. Be extremely proud with your accomplishments in the sexual arena. With Hashem's help the day will come when you feel ready to tackle these other issues. Don't be a perfectionist and don't be tough on yourself!
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Starting today... 31 Jan 2017 18:21 #304698

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I tend to think that in general, it is better to be meikil and not worry about it too much.  Defining a fall can become an obsession of it's own.  Dov once had a similar situation, and his sponsor said don't count it as a fall.  If you keep it up, you'll have a real fall anyways.

Do you want to count it as a fall because you want to be "honest" or because you want to be "perfect"? 

Re: Starting today... 01 Feb 2017 18:58 #304755

• YidFromMonsey
  • Current streak: 1653 days
  • Gold Boarder
gibbor120 wrote on 31 Jan 2017 18:21:
Don't count it as a fall.  If you keep it up, you'll have a real fall anyways.

Great line!

Thanks
You're better than yesterday but not as good as you're gonna be tomorrow. - Harvey

Hello Everyone!

yfm10952@gmail.com

Re: Starting today... 17 Mar 2017 03:48 #308465

• thehopeful123321
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you all for your advice.
I just wanted to vent. and didn't know where to write this so ill write this here. I am so stressed out about my final tests at university and cant get myself to study, which makes me even more stressed. Ahhhhh....
I hope that writing it here will help me start studying. (and stop eating....)
p.s. I will also try to force myself to workout a little bit.

Re: Starting today... 17 Mar 2017 18:08 #308493

Perhaps try the pomodoro technique. It's worked for me. It was created by a man when he was a college student. He used it with success for his studying.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique 

Perhaps try to see the learning as interesting and a privilege. Alternatively if it's really dull, you can think of yourself as a real bad a** for doing it. That might motivate you. 
If you are really bored, you can check out my original thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/305558-Journey-of-one-day-at-a-time 

"Think good and it will be good!"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.59 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes