Welcome, Guest

I will make it b'e"h
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: I will make it b'e"h 227252 Views

Re: I will make it b"h 03 Feb 2017 16:50 #304872

• cordnoy
bb0212 wrote on 03 Feb 2017 15:02:

MayanHamisgaber wrote on 03 Feb 2017 12:14:
Day 47 
Feeling a lot of stress here and if i'm honest i'll say that i am hurt by one close to me 
Just bec. one feels that calling at night might be bothering someone does that mean it should be at the expense of me and now my day has been topsy turvy 
Trying not to show how upset i am but i think i am failing miserably    

Good morning MH,

Please bear with my response, I hope it helps. One of my rabbeim one told me this incredible vort. He quoted from
רב צדוק הכהן סימן מג & מד 
 that a person is never given a test they can't pass. And even though many people quote the rebbi of רב צדוק הכהן, the Ishbitzer as saying regarding the story זמרי וכסבי בת צור, (where the leader of a שבט sinned with a woman,) that sometimes we're given tests that we can't pass, my rebbi feels that it's misquote. While that may be true, that's not a decision that we could make. We have to do whatever we can do, davening as much as possible etc. We can never sell ourselves short!

When I heard that, the following idea came to me. Many times, we face a test from Hashem. It can be incredibly difficult and we may feel that we can't pass it. Heck, it might be true, we may truly be unable to pass the test that we see. But that doesn't mean that it's the test that God wants us to pass.
For example, let's say I'm a kleptomaniac (however it's spelled) and I have a very strong urge to steal red sports cars. I'm alone in the desert. This guy drives up in a red Ferrari, steps out of the car, gets bitten by a snake and dies. Forget it, that car is gonna be mine, nobody else is around, it's the easiest steal in the history of the world. So I can safely assume that our Abba doesn't expect me to pass the test. One problem with my theory is that I am thinking of the wrong test. In my story, Hashem actually wanted me to hold strong & not steal the car for 5 minutes. Even though He expects me to steal the car, he expects me to try. If I steal the car after 30 seconds, I failed the test. I failed because I didn't put in 100% & I didn't put in 100% because I knew that it would be impossible for me to control that urge, so there's nothing I could do. 

The main thing to know, is that we don't know, so we gotta do 100% of what we can do.

We don't know what the test is. We're unable to judge & say that we can't pass the test if we don't know what it is.

Similarly, we can't say that we're failing if we don't know what our Father expects of us, we just must do what we can do! 

Keep strong and don't give in to the negative thoughts! Every test you pass will only make you stronger!

II don't know much. What I said on a call today was: we don't know what a passin' grade is.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: I will make it b"h 03 Feb 2017 16:55 #304873

• bb0212
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Love it!

Re: I will make it b"h 03 Feb 2017 17:55 #304874

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Regarding the back and forth if Hashem gives nisyonos one cannot handle........

If i may humbly present what i have been mekabel about this: When faced with a nisayon it is imperative that we face it assuming that we can overcome it unless we have been told otherwise by an appropriate authority in whom we have placed our trust - and who has been granted such authority by einei ha'eida. 

However if someone has unfortunately slipped, it is true retroactively that that was ratzon Hashem. This mehalech explains some of the difficult to comprehend happenings in T'nach where chazal have pointed out that obviously Hashem wanted that particular outcome to have taken place.

In general, this concept is very lofty and easily misunderstood.
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: I will make it b"h 03 Feb 2017 18:23 #304875

• cordnoy
Hashem Help Me wrote on 03 Feb 2017 17:55:

If i may humbly present what i have been mekabel about this: When faced with a nisayon it is imperative that we face it assuming that we can overcome it unless we have been told otherwise by an appropriate authority in whom we have placed our trust - and who has been granted such authority by einei ha'eida. 

However if someone has unfortunately slipped, it is true retroactively that that was ratzon Hashem. This mehalech explains some of the difficult to comprehend happenings in T'nach where chazal have pointed out that obviously Hashem wanted that particular outcome to have taken place.

Everything is ratzon Hashem, except when it's not.

Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

Re: I will make it b"h 03 Feb 2017 20:46 #304876

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder

I couldn't have said it any better; that's exactly how I would put it down.
My psychologist once told me that someone went to Rabbi Scheinberg ZT"L and said something about how hard his nisyonos are. Rabbi Scheinberg said "You think HaShem expects you to pass every nisayon you face?"

Re: I will make it b"h 03 Feb 2017 21:45 #304877

• cordnoy
Workingguy wrote on 03 Feb 2017 20:46:

I couldn't have said it any better; that's exactly how I would put it down.
My psychologist once told me that someone went to Rabbi Scheinberg ZT"L and said something about how hard his nisyonos are. Rabbi Scheinberg said "You think HaShem expects you to pass every nisayon you face?"

You both might be sayin' the same thin', and then again, you might not.

Re: I will make it b"h 03 Feb 2017 22:00 #304878

• cordnoy
Workingguy wrote on 03 Feb 2017 16:12:
I don't know- from what I've learned all over the place there are many tests that are outside our point of free will and that we can't pass. Not going to write the Torah part now, but I think the other point is true- we don't know which ones we can and can't, so we have to try 100% always.

There are many tests that are outside of our free will!? Doesn't the rambam list only one or two exceptions, and that is to a rasha?

I'm gonna try to write what I feel and even be clear (that's a novelty forI me), and this is not authoritative:

If God wants you dead, you are dead (and there's no getting around it....I guess tefilah always helps).

If He wishes that you get sick, you will be so.

Does Hashem want someone to sin? I can't imagine so, unless an extreme situation pointed out in rambam.

If He is giving a test (which I have no idea how someone will know if it is a direct test from Above), then obviously the choice is yours. That's the definition of a test. Are some people stronger than others? I assume so. 

The statement therefore that "if God is testing you, it is a proof you have the strength to overcome," well, of course, that's His test. Are you special because you have a test? I don't know. I don't even know how a person knows that he is presently being tested. Maybe he did this to himself. A test from God cannot be one sided. It is inherently false. 

Regarding what does He expect? I also don't know. Does God 'expect' anything?

To be continued....

Re: I will make it b"h 05 Feb 2017 03:47 #304888

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder
cordnoy wrote on 03 Feb 2017 22:00:

Workingguy wrote on 03 Feb 2017 16:12:
I don't know- from what I've learned all over the place there are many tests that are outside our point of free will and that we can't pass. Not going to write the Torah part now, but I think the other point is true- we don't know which ones we can and can't, so we have to try 100% always.

There are many tests that are outside of our free will!? Doesn't the rambam list only one or two exceptions, and that is to a rasha?

I'm gonna try to write what I feel and even be clear (that's a novelty forI me), and this is not authoritative:

If God wants you dead, you are dead (and there's no getting around it....I guess tefilah always helps).

If He wishes that you get sick, you will be so.

Does Hashem want someone to sin? I can't imagine so, unless an extreme situation pointed out in rambam.

If He is giving a test (which I have no idea how someone will know if it is a direct test from Above), then obviously the choice is yours. That's the definition of a test. Are some people stronger than others? I assume so. 

The statement therefore that "if God is testing you, it is a proof you have the strength to overcome," well, of course, that's His test. Are you special because you have a test? I don't know. I don't even know how a person knows that he is presently being tested. Maybe he did this to himself. A test from God cannot be one sided. It is inherently false. 

Regarding what does He expect? I also don't know. Does God 'expect' anything?

To be continued....

I guess I don't know what a test is- but Rav Dessler makes it quite clear in his famous piece about nekudas habechirah that there are many tests that are way outside our free will point- that there are things that we won't get much reward for because it's almost outside our free will to son on that area, and that there are sins we won't get punished for because their outside our free will. Rav Dessler says your ikar nisayon in this world is youur point of free will, and that your mission is to keep on moving the needle.

Reb Yisrael Salanter himself says this (I don't remember which letter) where he explains the following- what if it used to be hard for me to learn, and now I've made it that I love to do it so much that I can't stop? Do I get less reward now? And vice versa- what if i am addicted to a sin, but once upon a time it was relatively easy to resist- can we say that I won't be punished because I can't really help it? He explains that in each case, we'll be judged where our original struggle was, so if it was easy for us once upon a time then we won't get a pass later just because it's harder now.

If you would like to see an expanded writing on this topic of us not having free will EVEN in many matters of yiras shamayim, go search on seforim blog for the review of the Sefer Berogez Rachem Tizkor, which was an exposition of R Tzadok's philosophy on sin and teshuva written by Rabbi Dovid Bashevkin, whom I believe is the director of education for NCSY and a R Tzadok aficianado.

Re: I will make it b"h 05 Feb 2017 03:50 #304889

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder
To add- not sure if we're differentiating between a test and our everyday challenges, but is quite clear that there are many times we are faced with an opportunity to sin that is outside our bechira. R Dessler points it out, but many others do as well.

If my computer charger wasn't missing and I wasn't all "filtered up" I would post some sources.

Re: I will make it b"h 05 Feb 2017 04:04 #304890

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Even when something is beyond our nekudas habechira (and maybe we will not be punished for it) tefillah to Hashem can be used to remove the nisayon. See the Yismach Yisroel parshas Bo in the name of Rav Yechiel of Aleksander.

I think it is a massive Kiddush Hashem the amount of research and thought everyone is putting in to help make others on the one hand come to terms and be at peace with their challenges and on the other hand encourage those same others to stand up to those challenges as best they can. This place is kodesh kodoshim!
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: I will make it b"h 05 Feb 2017 04:35 #304891

• cordnoy
II was looking at a letter from rav dessler today regarding nekudas habechirah, but I don't see him saying "tests" the way you are. It is more that a person might fall or sin on something beyond his ability at that moment.

Re: I will make it b"h 05 Feb 2017 04:44 #304892

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder
cordnoy wrote on 05 Feb 2017 04:35:
II was looking at a letter from rav dessler today regarding nekudas habechirah, but I don't see him saying "tests" the way you are. It is more that a person might fall or sin on something beyond his ability at that moment.

I know, and that's what I meant when I said I'm not sure how you're defining tests. My point is that many of the things we face are outside of our abilities. Those are probably not the tests. But then we can say that while HaShem may not give you a test you can't pass, he may give you a situation you can't succeed in.

But practically speaking, we have to believe beforehand that we can pass the test or situation because we don't know, afterwards we have to do teshuva regardless, and we always have to think it's Hashem's will that whatever happened was meant to be that way.

Re: I will make it b"h 05 Feb 2017 05:04 #304893

• cordnoy
Rav Tzadok writes something profound: although there might be things that are predestined, we still may get punished for our feelings, enjoyment and geshmak in the aveirah.

So too with mitzvos. It might have been predestined that we do this, but we can be rewarded for our intentions and heart in the act.

This is why paroah and the mitzriyim were punished although it was predestined. The shevatim and Yosef as well.

We might be beyond our nekudas habechirah, but our attitude will make a huge difference.

B'hatzlachah

Re: I will make it b"h 05 Feb 2017 11:56 #304904

• mayanhamisgaber
  • Current streak: 44 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks to one and all  for the thought provoking posts here and of course the chizuk,

While we cannot ignore those before us my personal opinion is like cordnoy said our attitude is what will make the difference for NOW since that is all we can deal with 
​I am not saying that all the above is not significant just on a practical level it is not for us right now.

Again thanks for the support and the thought provoking conversation.

B'hatzlacha

P.S. cordnoy I'm waiting for the rest of what you want to say  (or did I miss it)
very important thread: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/19180-FEEL-THE-HUGS%21%21%21" option="guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/19180-FEEL-THE-HUGS%21%21%21">FEEL THE HUGS!!!

Re: I will make it b"h 05 Feb 2017 12:54 #304905

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder
Dr. Sorotzkin says that the reason it's important to know that there are some nisyonos that are too hard for where you are at the moment is to help you cope with failure. If we get equally down when we fall whether it was easy not to or when faced with the trigger that is hardest for us, chances are that we'll be in a downward spiral of shame and guilt.

If we can recognize that sometimes it's too much for us (of course only after the fact) maybe we'll just move on and get right back up.
Time to create page: 0.73 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes