Welcome, Guest

15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 21437 Views

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 05 Aug 2009 13:02 #10870

• Dov
  • Administrator
Dear Reb Ykv -
When you write about actually seeing gehinom before you, I relate exactly. Thank-you, brother. This proves Hashem really IS everywhere, for He made EVERYTHING and no place is empty of Him. He is even for us. You show Hashem's love for us and how true, faithful and unalterable that love is. Here is a bit on teshuva Mei'ahavah that may cast even more light on the path you are on right now, lekayem: vesam/vesham derech, ereno beyeisha Elokim! :dov wrote on 13 May 2009 16:40:
Please see the Sfas Emes on the laughing of Sara imeinu and also regarding her discernment in the defective tz'chok of Yishmael about fourteen years later. If I understand him correctly, he explains that she did teshuva immediately, which is why she said, " I did not laugh." By then, she did teshuva. Then Avraham (or Hashem, per some) responded to her: "No, you did laugh," meaning, since her teshuvah was only from gevurah/yir'ah (being the typical derech of Sara imeinu who balanced Avraham avinu's chesed K'negdo), and when you do teshuva from yir'ah the aveira is not eliminated, only made a shogeg, for you know better now... This is the meaning of the words, "ki yareiyah  - because she was afraid", that is, she did teshuva of yir'ah. The Sfas Emes goes on to say that the reason that Avraham did not recognize Yishmael's tz'chok as quickly and as deeply as Sarah did was because Sara reacted to the whole vikuach there by embarking on a "program" of learning everything she could about the difference between kosher and nonkosher tz'chok and working on it so she'd never mess up again. Thus, she ended up at a higher level of discernment than did Avraham (who had never made the mistake in tz'chok in the first place)! He then says that this is the definition of teshuva me'ahavah. After we learn from our mistake and cause (or, more likely, allow Hashem to cause) a change in our behavior because of the cheit and teshuvah process, Hashem considers the aveirah a mitzvah. (Which mitzvah is it? Perhaps the aveira becomes the mitzvah of teshuva, thus the word "teshuva" - return of the potential in the aveirah to reality - maybe?). That, the Sfas Emes writes, is what chazal mean when they say that with ahava the cheit is converted into a mitzvah.
Hope that was helpful.

Reb Ykv, it seems to me that you are describing a process of moving smoothly from teshuvah meyir'ah into teshuvah mei'ahava. And you are seamlessly passing the message along to us - from ge'ulah right to tefillah/avodah. Thank You! Many more happy anniversaries together with all GYE!!
From one brother w/a happily broken heart to another, in love - Dov
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by gye77.

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 05 Aug 2009 13:06 #10872

• 7yipol
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • YES HE CAN!
Not only is R' Yaakov pure gold, but each reply post is another gem on the chain!
Hashem is addicted to you! Feel His hugs!"Sheva yipol tzaddik VKUM"
Last Edit: by Shomertorah13.

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 05 Aug 2009 13:55 #10880

• Binyomin5766
Dear YKV,

Mazel Tov!  Mazel Tov!  I do not post much these days, but I must post now.  Your journey has been an inspiration to me, and this most recent post is pure gold.  Enjoy the great simcha of your BBQ and know that I am rejoicing with you from afar.

Ben
Last Edit: by .

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 05 Aug 2009 13:57 #10882

MAZEL TOIV !!!!!

And thanks!
Today is proving to be a spiritually hard day here, nisyonos at work are popping up right and left...for the first time in a while.... and I needed a really inspirational daily chizuk email.

Well, Baruch Hashem you provided it!

I am going to laugh at my 'small' nisyonos... if you were able to look gehinm in the face and fly upward!

HUMBLE and happy
HAPPY and humble,

kutan
Rashi, Breishis (10:25)
Last Edit: by onestepatatime.

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 05 Aug 2009 16:41 #10909

• Hoping
  • Current streak: 361 days
  • Gold Boarder
Mazal Tov Yakov!

I should have given you a mazal Tov the day I joined the forum because your posts were so inspiring and really brought me to commit to change. At the time I could not have realized what a extreme change it would have on my life. So I give you a double Mazal Tov. One, for your personal success, and two, for the profound way you are influencing others.

Chazak V'ematz
Last Edit: by blessedhappiness.

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 05 Aug 2009 18:26 #10926

• Pintele Yid
Heiliga Reb Yakov,

I was going to write something but after reading the holy fire's post, I see that I have nothing to add ;D

Yasher Koach and Mazal Tov! Hashem should give you the strength to continue until you greet Moshiach with your holy eyes!

Love,

Pintele Yid
Last Edit: by .

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 05 Aug 2009 20:53 #10957

• tester613
  • Current streak: 286 days
  • Gold Boarder
A deep and sincere "Thank You" to my dear friends, bardichev, 7up, Noorah, Dov, Ben (missed ya Ben, good to hear from you), kutan,hoping, pintelle, and anyone else who read with an open heart.  I have read your replies over and over again.  Each one meant so much to me.  I literally cried over each one realizing how much ahavas yisroel there is on these forums.  As I told a few of you in private, it is this kind of friendship that will hold us over in the long run. 
Last Edit: by Christ4life.

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 06 Aug 2009 15:48 #11058

• battleworn
                                                   זה היום עשה ד' נגילה ונשמחה בו                    

מזל טוב Reb Yaakov!!!
אילן אילן במה אברכך Reb Yaakov, your way is the way of truth, the way of ahavas Hashem, the way of chochma and the way of יראתך קודמת לחכמתך.

Since you choose to use Hashem's very own prescription for Teshuva=Recovery, you can't go wrong-- כלך יפה רעיתי ומום אין בך
You are on the path to ever growing Gadlus and I consider it a great zechus to have a connection to you. My main brochoh to you is that everyone should learn from you. I beg Hashem with my whole broken heart, that all the addicts of Am Yisroel should learn from you how a Yid can turn his whole heart and all his passion to Hashem; and how rewarding it is to do so. They should learn from you what a yiddishe neshomoh is; they should learn from you the power of Hashem's prescription for Teshuva. They should learn from you the meaning of  שובה ישראל עד ד' אלוקיך And they should learn from you the power that Torah and Mitzvohs have, to take a person from the depths of sin to the heights of true Kirvas Elokim.

Reb Yaakov we need you! You are the light that shows the way - the Torah way. Please keep the chizuk coming all the time!

P.S. sorry I'm late
Last Edit: by willpassthetest.

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 06 Aug 2009 16:26 #11073

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
Rabbeinu Battleworn,

First of all, welcome back. We've missed you recently...

I can read so much pain between the lines of your congratulations to Yakov. (I am more preceptive than you think). I wish I could help you understand that GuardYourEyes agrees that the "Torah way" is the only way, but the problem is only that we often don't know HOW to internalize the Torah way today without the help of the 12-Steps, especially not addicts. In the Hamodia a few weeks ago, Rabbi Twerski wrote an article that explains this a bit. I scanned it in and put it up on our site here. Please read it. This is the GYE approach.

I fully agree with you, and I wish all of us could INTERNALIZE the Torah the way Yakov does!!

With love and respect,
Guard.
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2009 16:27 by .

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 06 Aug 2009 22:57 #11150

• Efshar Letaken
  • Current streak: 194 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Reb Ykv Reb Ykv,

We say "Better Late Then Never!"

First of all MAZEL TOV! on this milestone you have reached.

May Hashem be at your side for the rest of your life.

You have started giving me endless input into what the Torah says about the subject  we are dealing with.

I have seen the begining but I cant see the end. (for all Reb Shlomo stories fans you know what I mean, its deep)

I come to the Beis Medrash looking for the continuation of your Gevaldiger shiurim but "Ein Kol, V'Ein Oneh!"

The Silence Is Deafening!

So Please! I ask you a personal favor, Please enlighten me further with the Orr Hatorah you have within yourself.

Heiliger Battle Never Worn,

You have unfinished business to do.

Please don't let me down.

Both of you have helped me out more then you will ever know.

I don't take "NO" for an answer!

E.L.

Last Edit: by eduardo salinas.

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 07 Aug 2009 09:12 #11188

• tester613
  • Current streak: 286 days
  • Gold Boarder
HaRav Battleworn,

Your guidance and chizuk throughout my journey helped me enormously.  Your understanding in times when no one else did is what encouraged me to to continue.  You help me ignore the criticism and mock of others.  You comforted me at those times that I felt isolated and lonely. I am forever grateful. 
As you know, one of the steps of teshuvah is working on humility. The Rabeinu Yona lists off three reasons why this is necessary for teshuva. Your kind and inspirational words have not helped in that regard.  :D
With Love,
Yaakov

Reb Efshar,
Thank you for your kind words.  I will try to resume next week some more lessons learned from succa.  stay tuned.  According to my calendar, we are expecting a BIG simcha from you in a few days.  I bought new dancing shoes just for the occasion. 

Rabeinu HaGuard,

Because this is my thread, I get the last word.  I will not allow any more of this discussion on my thread.  Last time we did that, you had to call in the surgeons (and that wa back in the days before bardichev who was able to instantly solve all such problems) and to remove those posts that related to the topic you discussed and move it to another location.  Any further discussion should be taken off-line or another thread.  And please, no instigating words. 

With that being said, my way is the GYE way.  Batteworn's way is the GYE way.  EVERYONE on this site who is working towards sobriety and committed to lifetime sobriety as they gain a closeness with Hashem is working the GYE way.  The goals are the same.  The definitions for success are the same.  The methods are CLOSE ENOUGH to be called the same. 

What R' Twerski writes about, is precisely what battleworn has been saying for a long time.  If I did not know otherwise, I would have thought that battleworn wrote that article.  With precision, and a clear-cut analytical mind, Battleworn has always been able to penetrate the truth quicker than most of us.

Allow me to digress. 

Each person is unique.  And each person finds precisely what works for them.  Each person knows what his major issues are.  We do not all share the exact same struggle.  They are similar enough to share advice.  But never the same to draw conclusions.  Each person has different needs in avodas hashem.  Each person will deal with recovery in a slightly different fashion. We need to be extremely careful when meddling with another yid's avodas hashem and not superimpose our experiences on others. This has been the message of battleworn from the start.

What makes us a wonderful family is that we recognize the unique facets of each individual.  We try to encourage and inspire as it fits with the receiver.  My inspiration for growth came from this site and all its holy people.

What we have built on this site is a very unique social network.  The amount of emotions and concern for one another on a daily basis is unmatched.  This is our success.  As I wrote in my Ode, "when there is achdus, there is no yetzer hara."  People can come here at all times of the day for chizuk.  People on this site can post their feelings without having to wait their turn.  There is always a listening ear.  There is always a concerned spirit.  There is always comfort. 

Allow me to digress further.

For me the after-shock of recovery was far too massive for me to sit back idly.  I needed to connect my spirit in a very real way. I needed to do something.  I was desperate for maintaining sobriety.  I let my soul lead the way.  My neshama knew exactly what it needed.  My hurting soul needed comfort and relief in a time of destruction.  My soul was was so happy to finally be allowed into my life.  My soul was so happy to finally shine. When I felt pain, I was joyed.  I understood that I was removing the outer layers that cover the spirit. I was getting in touch with myself for the first time in a long time.  I was finally able to cry the way I cried when I was a youth beginning my battle 15 years ago. This was a sign that I was not 'cut-off'. 

For the first time in my life, I was able to wake up in the morning and say Modeh Ani with kavanah.  I thanked Hashem for real for giving me life back.  I thanked him for giving me another day to live and become a greater person.  For the first time in my life, i began to really appreciate life, with all its hardships and setbacks.  All the knowledge that I have amassed over the many long years of struggling came rushing down to me with clear understanding. I was finally able to internalize all my knowledge and bring it to my heart, as the baalei mussar tell us.

I spent the first two months of sobriety in intense davening to help me.  I set aside time each day for tehillim (and continue to do so) as I connected myself. [As an aside, if I am not mistaken, this has been the approach of the early AA's as well.They would encourage recovering addicts that after making a definitive decision to remove themselves from alcohol, the needed to spend time each day over religious work to connect themselves to G-d. ] I NEVER EVER wanted to go back to that dark world again.  I have fallen in the past and I knew it could happen again.  I begged Hashem day and night for eternal protection.  I did everything in my means to help myself.  I understood in a very real way that help from Hashem will only come if you put in all your efforts.  And all my efforts were exerted.  The Rabeinu Yona tells us that a person who really wants, tries.  He explains that is what bechira is all about.  It is about putting in all your efforts as you express your true desire.  If you want but do not do, then you do not really want.  You only want to want.

I needed to rebuild my life from the start.  I began implementing small changes that made a huge difference to my day.  I understood that without proper kavanah in Shemah, modeh ani and krias shema Al Ha'Mitah, I would never gain the proper perspective on life that I needed. I understood that without proper perspective on love and intimacy, I would never survive.  I took what I always knew to be true and began internalizing it.  I began writing letters to my wife, as I expressed my emotions in a very open way.  I became more careful with inyanei kedusha. This include sleeping in the right direction and stop inviting the yetzer hara into my life. I became extremely more cautious with other areas as well, but I decide not to elaborate.   

A great zechus that Hashem has given me was that precisely during my days of sobriety, my wife and I had to remain abstinent due to uncontrollable circumstances.  My wife was sick for an extended period of time.  With my initial frustrations, I began to realize how much my perspectives on life and family have not been internalized and how selfish I have become.  Also, during this time, my wife was unable to handle most of the daily chores.  I had to help out much more as well as offer proper comfort to her.  After all, as much I helped, I was still away from home 12 hours a day in another city.  And taking time off was not a realistic option.  This meant learning to become sympathetic and expressing love and concern.  I began to understand that Love was not about romance but about caring.  It was about building an eternal bond of oneness with another, which leads to a natural sense of concern and care.  It is about giving not getting.  The more I gave, the greater I felt.  I transformed myself from selfishness to selflessness.  I was finally able top express my love to my wife for real.  And of course I always knew this.  But for the first time, I began living it. 

To Summarize: In the past this long period of separation would often lead to addiction and depression.  This time it lead me to sobriety and rejuvenation. 

My need for proper teshuvah was from my inner spirit telling me to do ratzon hashem.  My need for teshuvah was not a 'method' to remove myself from sin.  B"H, I was beyond that.  The day I decided 'No More', it melted away like ice in the hot sun. That part was easy.  When you want it, it is easy.  AND I WANTED OUT.  NO MORE. 

But I still need to do teshuvah.  I needed kapara for the past and tahara for the future.  This has nothing to do methodology of recovery.  Hashem sent his special messengers down to this earth to guide us.  I needed to understand the effects of my past and ask for proper forgiveness.  I knew this does not come to those who just want it.  It comes after hard work or internalizing the truth of the world.  One must learn to understand.  I have done this many times in the past, but I knew this time would be different. 

For the first time in my life, I began to understand what Charata really meant.  I understood how charata had much more to do with internalizing than knowing.  Charata is a feeling of astonshment and shock.  The new person known as a baal teshuva cannot believe what the old person did.  This comes only through a creating a new person.  A person that has internalized how terrible his acts were. A person that internalizes how great Hashem  is.  With this he becomes shocked and stands in disbelief as he realizes how he has rebelled, destroyed himself, acted worse than the animals, etc. But this is an avodah.     

I understood aziva hachet as I did everything in my capability to not allow lustful triggers from entering my day, following the guidelines of halacha (as opposed to idealistic thinking).   

I understood and felt yagon as my neshama unleashed itself as it cried days on end.

As I began internalizing daaga from the yetzer hara, I strengthened my gedarim.  I became more careful where I walked and with whom I speak with.  I davened for protection with greater convictions as even the most remote possibility for sin was scary to me.    As I feared I would never reach my goal in this world and push harder for success, I felt it even more.  It encouaregd to increase my awareness of hashem with each passing day. I should never settle for yesterday's accomplishments.  As I feared retribution (and is proper, sorry to those that cannot accept), I davened for salvation.  I took each minor mishap in my life as another brick of atonement.  I laughed as I was pained, realizing it is all a kaparah. 

And the growth goes on as we move to hachnaa (humilty) and then to sheviras hataavos, and onwards.

And I also knew that last year, when I went six months clean, one of my biggest aveiros was not doing any vidui until Yom Kippur.  I am so ashamed of myself for this.  I was scared to say vidui only to be proven a hypocrite later on. 

I needed to get close to hashem (again). I felt so distant from him.  It was me that created that barrier. And I would have to work to remove it.  I know that I brought this nisayon on myself and I needed to get myself our of it.  I made may wrong decisions in my life and it was in my hand to stop.  I needed to stop relying on others for chizuk alone and realized the matter is in my hands to fix. I needed to stop thinking that 'Eventually I will stop. The problem will just go away on its own.'  When I removed myself from sin, I begged Hashem day and night to let me back.  He allowed me to come to his throne of glory for five weeks (until Purim) as I expressed all my inner emotions directly to him.  Those were the most precious moments of my life.

Another great contributor to my early growth was that I had a close friend on this site (who never posted) that I corresponded with for two and half months.  We spoke about a lot of things and clarified issues.  I recently put our correspondences in a word doc, and it came to 28 pages.

I think my digression has come to a halt.

Good Shabbos,
yaakov   
Last Edit: 07 Aug 2009 09:56 by .

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 07 Aug 2009 09:28 #11190

• nezach
An amazing encounter and recovery - kol hakovod & mazel tov.
Last Edit: by adovashashem.

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 07 Aug 2009 15:54 #11218

• Pintele Yid
Heiliga Rav Yackov,

Thank you for allowing us a "look" into the Admas Kodesh that you are experiencing.

I hope Reb Guard puts this in a Chizuk e-mail in the near future.

Overflowing with admiration and love,

Pintele Yid
Last Edit: by Esterk.

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 08 Aug 2009 20:31 #11241

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
What a beautiful and inspiring path to Teshuvah. Thank you Yakov for leading the way. I hope to share this in a chizuk e-mail indeed, and I hope many people will be able to learn from you.

What R' Twerski writes about, is precisely what battleworn has been saying for a long time.  If I did not know otherwise, I would have thought that battleworn wrote that article.

Exactly! That's what I'm trying to tell Battleworn; that we don't disagree at all! Rabbi Twerski says very clearly that we could get the same things out of Mussar that we can get out of the 12-Steps. But Rabbi Twerski makes it clear that there are two things that make it difficult to get it out of mussar. ONE - We would need to learn the mussar as if our lives depend on it, and TWO - Group support; i.e. Hearing from others how their lives depend on it, how they were almost dead, how they were able to turn their lives around using the mussar, having a sponsor, working the mussar in a clear cut, step by step program, not just something we hear today and forget tomorrow, etc...etc... If we could have all that in Mussar, then we would indeed have all we need to succeed...

The day I decided 'No More', it melted away like ice in the hot sun. That part was easy.  When you want it, it is easy.  AND I WANTED OUT.  NO MORE.

This one sentence sums up the difference between those who don't need the 12-Steps, and those who do.  It seems that you, Yakov, have a very powerful soul and a clear separation in your mind between soul and body. It's almost like two rooms for you. Once you chose with a strong resolve to enter the "soul room", you simply don't enter the "body room" any more. It's over. However, many people have their soul and bodies in one room and they can't figure out what they truly want. One second they truly "WANT OUT, NO MORE!" and the next second they can't hold back from the body's desires and forget all about the soul  :D.. For such people, the best hope for long term success is the power of group support and "learning it as if life depends on it". And these things can only be found today in 12-Step groups, as far as I know.
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: 08 Aug 2009 20:39 by happyimfrum@gmail.com.

Re: 15+ years of battle - The Final Battle that will lead to victory 09 Aug 2009 19:24 #11320

• Dov
  • Administrator
Dear Reb Yaakov -

It was very nice to read your post above and to see so much in common with another person. As far as I am concerned, you are yet another recovery person with whom to share when I need to, and I thank Hashem and you for that.
I will PM you some private stuff that may help us both.
Thanks again for sharing yourself this way and with love borne of understanding,
Dov
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."
Last Edit: by LoveHaShem26.
Time to create page: 0.65 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes