Welcome, Guest

Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom!
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 6952 Views

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 04 Mar 2016 13:49 #280253

• strugglinginpain
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Markz,
I don't really know. This all new to me. What do you suggest?

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 04 Mar 2016 14:29 #280257

• Yesod
  • Platinum Boarder
Sometimes it helps to use an example. 

What would you say to a businessman who sits in front of the computer for half the day watching the deposits go into his bank account.
On the phone he is telling his wife , " we just made more, we just made more,  we just made more........"

The lesson is clear, 
The money will go into the account whether it is watched while happening or not,  and although it does motivate from time to time to check the profit flow,  the bulk of the time is better used to run the business. 
Manage,  educate,  research, expand,  quality check etc.

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 04 Mar 2016 15:08 #280269

• strugglinginpain
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you Yesod.
I see the point in your analogy, and I'll try to apply it to my life and struggle(s).
Perhaps I should post once a week, while working on improving myself in spiritual matters during the week. This, however, frightens me (posting once a week). I'm literally afraid that, despite my great desire to overcome this struggle, I'm going to slip (and fall) and I won't have the courage to face up to it. At that point, I'll probably just disappear from this forum. I don't want that to happen to me!
I've been noticing over the past few days that whenever lustful thoughts enter my mind I immediately push them aside. I think that I've gained that strength from reading other people's posts (though I rarely comment) and posting on my own. Additionally, by logging on to GYE and updating my count, I have the great opportunity to check out the Kosher Isle, the shiurim and articles that give me strength in this time of struggle.
If you think my mentality toward overcoming this struggle is wrong, I appreciate your advice and I'll try to implement it. But please tell me clearly what you advise.
This is not the first time I've tried going clean, but it's the first time I been able to do so for 8 consecutive days. While it may sound like I'm counting down to 90, I'm not. I'm counting up to 90 and way, way beyond.

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 04 Mar 2016 15:47 #280270

• Yesod
  • Platinum Boarder
Sounds like you're doing great,  and that you have a good perspective. 

I am in no way saying that spending alot of time on gye is not a helpful thing.  On the contrary,  it is a great idea,  keep it up.  You are gleaning chizuk and that is great.

I'm just saying that day counting is not a big source of strength for lots of folks,  it is just counting the cash flow,  but the cash flow doesn't make the cash flow,  the work makes the cash flow. 

So keep it up, reading,  posting, sharing,  asking,  whatever you find gives you chizuk.

Hatzlocha 
Keep it up and keep on trucking

If i can be of any help,  please pm me anytime

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 04 Mar 2016 15:55 #280271

• strugglinginpain
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Yesod, I appreciate it greatly.

Since I probably won't be commenting again on the forum until Motzei-Shabbos, I want to wish everyone a peaceful and blessed Shabbos.

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 09 Mar 2016 11:44 #280786

• strugglinginpain
  • Junior Boarder
Hi,
Over the past few days, I've been thinking a lot about what Markz and Yesod have commented on and suggested. I don't know how often I'll post, maybe once a week, maybe only when I feel in a vulnerable state. And I'll certainly read other people's post and take advantage of the shiurim and other resources on GYE.
Now to a brief update of my situation in the last few days. B"H I've been trying to remain strong, but sometimes the temptation and urges just begin to overwhelm me. At such times, I don't only feel emotionally vulnerable but I feel physically faint. Some days are better than others and know that I've got to strengthen myself (spiritually), because they can (and are likely to) get more difficult.
Have a good day.

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 09 Mar 2016 21:40 #280868

• Yesod
  • Platinum Boarder
Posting when you feel weak is a defensive posture.

Laaniyas daati

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 10 Mar 2016 03:49 #280904

• realsimcha
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Yesod wrote on 09 Mar 2016 21:40:

Laaniyas daati

Posting even though you feel weak ... thats the trick

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 10 Mar 2016 05:05 #280910

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Yesod wrote on 09 Mar 2016 21:40:

Laaniyas daati

As opposed to posting before you feel weak, which is offensive. 
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 10 Mar 2016 11:58 #280924

• strugglinginpain
  • Junior Boarder
Regarding posting when I feel vulnerable: I'm not sure which is better--being offensive or defensive. But I do know that being proactive is best. That's what I try to do. My purpose of keeping a log or a diary on this forum is threefold. First, to keep a record of my situation (and hopefully its improvements). Second, to ask questions of the more experienced in these matters. Third, to distract myself and strengthen myself when I feel vulnerable. Perhaps it's a defensive posture. But at certain times, when proactive and offensive methods haven't worked and I'm in the room without the Mezzuza (and I can't open a Sefer), I think it's best to use defensive tactics. Anyway, faulty or not, that's my theory.
כל טוב and have a great day!
P.S. B"H I'm already two weeks clean!

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 10 Mar 2016 13:35 #280939

• realsimcha
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
strugglinginpain wrote on 10 Mar 2016 11:58:
Regarding posting when I feel vulnerable: I'm not sure which is better--being offensive or defensive. But I do know that being proactive is best. That's what I try to do. My purpose of keeping a log or a diary on this forum is threefold. First, to keep a record of my situation (and hopefully its improvements). Second, to ask questions of the more experienced in these matters. Third, to distract myself and strengthen myself when I feel vulnerable. Perhaps it's a defensive posture. But at certain times, when proactive and offensive methods haven't worked and I'm in the room without the Mezzuza (and I can't open a Sefer), I think it's best to use defensive tactics. Anyway, faulty or not, that's my theory.
כל טוב and have a great day!
P.S. B"H I'm already two weeks clean!

Hatzlacha. the main thing is to keep at it. keep trying. giving up is removed from your dictionary. we are here for you.

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 10 Mar 2016 15:07 #280952

• strugglinginpain
  • Junior Boarder
Realsimcha,
Thank you. I've literally discarded the concept of giving up.
I really appreciate the support and encouragement. Everyone that's struggling to better themselves should have such a great team working with them.
כל טוב and Hatzlacha to you too.

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 14 Mar 2016 12:21 #281240

• strugglinginpain
  • Junior Boarder
I've had a fall. I feel like I fell flat on my face. It really hurts me deeply. I'm ashamed to go into the details, but it wasn't just for a few moments and the feeling, the urge, felt uncontrollable. Now I've got to get up and start again. This time at least, I know that I can do it for more than two consecutive weeks (I never had been clean for two weeks before).
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what led to my fall. I think it's anxiety and lonesomeness. But most of all, because my intestinal condition has been playing a lot of games with me lately, I hadn't been getting out much over the past few days. And although I'd intended to rejoin my Daf-Yomi shiur, I haven't been able to do so.
I have a doctor's appointment later today and an interview (neither are exactly local) for volunteering work, tomorrow. So I will get out a little. But I really need to get out more, to walk, to do things. I'll have to figure out some way to work it out. Because staying indoors is really bad for me now. Previously, when I would try to stay clean and then fall, I would wallow in my guilt and shame and give up. But as I've said before, I literally threw out the concept of giving up. And I mean it. I'm going to try and improve myself in all the ways I can.
כל טוב.

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 14 Mar 2016 13:49 #281247

• Yesod
  • Platinum Boarder
Good attitude. 

There is a progression when one works on this,  it doesn't usually happen in one shot.  

I think everyone would agree that you are making great progress.

Keep your chin up, and truck onward. 

Re: Just started on my path to 90 days of freedom! 14 Mar 2016 14:14 #281252

• strugglinginpain
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you, Yesod.
I'm proud that I can admit to others that I've had a fall. I've never been able to do this before. It feels great to have people to communicate with about this, especially people who are going through these same (or similar) nisyonos.
כל טוב.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes