Welcome, Guest

Pain or Pleasure
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pain or Pleasure 1101 Views

Pain or Pleasure 18 Oct 2015 22:32 #266279

Of the most powerful messages I have learnt in regard to overcoming an addiction, is to replace the feeling that this act will provide pleasure, and realise that it only causes pain.
Thus, when in a situation where there is a need to satisfy an urge, realising that there will be no pleasure gained can help alleviate the intensity of the urge.

That being said it is a process, and progress not perfection, but over time we can change the way we relate to an urge and, please God, overcome our addictions.

Let us avoid the pain.
Attachments:

Re: Pain or Pleasure 19 Oct 2015 01:28 #266288

• Gettingcloser
  • Current streak: 28 days
  • Senior Boarder
doesitmatter wrote:
Of the most powerful messages I have learnt in regard to overcoming an addiction, is to replace the feeling that this act will provide pleasure, and realise that it only causes pain.
Thus, when in a situation where there is a need to satisfy an urge, realising that there will be no pleasure gained can help alleviate the intensity of the urge.

That being said it is a process, and progress not perfection, but over time we can change the way we relate to an urge and, please God, overcome our addictions.

Let us avoid the pain.

We cannot avoid pain in life, life is full of pain, for example not looking on inappropriate things is painful, but it is such an enjoyable sweet pain,
Vs The pain of giving in to lust is feelings of emptiness, worthlessness, it's pain without any meaning
My Email address shulemc@gmail.com

Re: Pain or Pleasure 19 Oct 2015 01:34 #266289

• Gettingcloser
  • Current streak: 28 days
  • Senior Boarder
Oh I see you are new here welcome to the club,
It's a good enjoyable place here, people are always ready to help you here
My Email address shulemc@gmail.com

Re: Pain or Pleasure 19 Oct 2015 11:14 #266309

• Ezra
  • Senior Boarder
Doesitmatter - great point. We say on Yom Kippur v'lo shaava lanu. It was not worth it. We don't say we did not enjoy, but if you were to compare what we gained with what we lost, clearly we are in a lot more pain then the little pleasure we think we got.

The question for everyone - how when you are about to look at something you should not, do you remember the big picture and say this is on balance pain not pleasure.

Re: Pain or Pleasure 19 Oct 2015 12:35 #266312

• cordnoy
Ezra wrote:
Doesitmatter - great point. We say on Yom Kippur v'lo shaava lanu. It was not worth it. We don't say we did not enjoy, but if you were to compare what we gained with what we lost, clearly we are in a lot more pain then the little pleasure we think we got.

The question for everyone - how when you are about to look at something you should not, do you remember the big picture and say this is on balance pain not pleasure.

I will not even get into the answer regardin' addiction. The answer simply is: we see the pleasure in front of us and it is much more enjoyable.

(Ask a smoker; ask an overweight person; ask anyone on this planet)
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes