Welcome, Guest

A little feedback
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: A little feedback 1163 Views

A little feedback 07 Oct 2015 08:09 #265219

Hi all,
I am trying my best to take the right steps at breaking free from this addiction. I just wanted to share what I come up with to hopefully receive some feedback and also to break out of the feeling that I am all alone in my struggles and therefore powerless.

I have noticed that foresight is the best weapon I have so far. If I take precautions to avoid temptation I succeed. If I don't, then I simply can't fight the battle I am not prepared for. The main tools of the yetzer hara have been 1. loneliness and 2. Excitement.
If I make sure to anticipate situations where I am on my own or where I feel alone then I can do something to prevent that situation from happening. To be completely honest I am posting this for that exact reason. I try and talk to somebody. If at all I cannot escape the loneliness I try to pray to G-d because this reminds me I am not alone.
The yetzer hara seems to wait patiently and then attack suddenly at an opportune moment. It does so using excitement. It is cruel. All I know to be right becomes stifled by the emotion of excitement. I think the only way that I know to beat that is to snuff out the first spark. The moment it catches alight I am in trouble. It helps to know that the emotion is not me, it is not who I am. It is the Yezter hara. The emotion comes from a tiny part of the brain that could be called the primitive brain. The emotion is a lie. It is nowhere as big as it feels. So what I have learnt to do is to snuff the lie out before it has a chance to make me listen to it.

Thank you to whoever has read this. It helps me enormously to tell somebody my thoughts. It allows me both to clarify and to defeat that loneliness. Please let me know what you think and I would really appreciate any advice or encouragement.

Re: A little feedback 07 Oct 2015 15:50 #265247

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
It would be helpful if you kept to one main thread for your posts. It's easier for us to follow you in one place.
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: A little feedback 07 Oct 2015 21:16 #265271

Thanks, I am new to using the forums, so I will make sure to remember that from now on.

Re: A little feedback 08 Oct 2015 05:39 #265285

• MBJ
  • Platinum Boarder
The best way to fight the yetzer hara is to not engage in the battle at all. Don't step into the ring. Once you engage it becomes a battle of wills, you against you. That is a 50 50 proposition at best. But if you avoid the fight you can't lose. Another tip I heard is delay. If the yetzer is pulling you, delay and say sure that sounds great but first I have to wash my car, or what have you.
Lastly, like you said, don't stop praying to G-d.

Al the best
Eli
My Story
Only when we make our real lives sweeter than our fantasies will we reap the emotional rewards, the happiness of recovery. - AlexEliezer
Focus on making the right choices as they come up. - Skeptical
When I start to literally accept G-d's Will as guiding my life today, things start to change. - Dov
Last Edit: 08 Oct 2015 05:39 by MBJ.

Re: A little feedback 08 Oct 2015 10:45 #265294

Thank you, that really helps and makes a lot of sense. Much appreciated
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes