Welcome, Guest

Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem !
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 14799 Views

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 29 Mar 2015 00:30 #251422

• Palti-Yossef
  • Expert Boarder
  • אש תמיד תוקד על המזבח לא תכבה
As usual, these Chabbat ends are not very good for me..
I wonder if someday I will be able to get off this sadness which seems so deeply rooted in me..

Sorry to begin the week with such negative post but I really need to share what I feel tonight. After some long reflection I think I found the cause of this sadness, sadness which is obviously one of the most (if not the only) source of all my problem, especially with lust. Loneliness seems to be the answer, even if I don't succeed to see clearly if it's the cause or the consequence of my sadness..

Please let me share a part of my story with you :

I was born in January, so when I was little (4 and 5yo) my parents did some efforts to make me go on the upper grade at school. I remember once a week (or something like that) I had to see a woman who gave me exercises to test me if I was able to go for the upper class or not. As far as I can remember this was the first time of my life when I felt different. I was wondering "why others are playing outside and I have to work here, in silence with a woman I don't like, and ALONE ?"
Strangely, I also remember that in this period I was very popular, I always choosed the game to play during recreation for all the friend, I really was the leader of the class and I remember how was those good relationship between us.

After some time I was accepted in the upper grade so I had to leave all my little friends, and moreover my parents took this opportunity and decided to moove to another city. I let you imagine what happened : I mooved from a place where I was the oldest, the most popular, the "leader" to an unknown location, I became the younger and I knew nobody. Without forgetting this bonus interrogation about the fact I was maybe different because of all these specials session I did.
I think this was the beginning of all my mental construction. In fact, I see now that I've been very tortured in my mind since 5 yo.. I remember that I felt very isolated, and shy. Amazing how all these memories come back. This was the beginning of all my imagination : I was thinking all the day how to be loved by others, to have friends, to stop be different and alone. One example of my thinking (that still haunts me today btw) was "ok this guy is loved, popular, I have to fix myself to his wishes or opinion or comportment so I could became his friend and became like him and then all his popularity will shine on me and I'll benefit a lot, people will listen to me and stay with me......"; or also I was wondering "imagine this thing will happen at this moment in front of these person, then I'll be able to do this and then it will show a good side of me and then I'll have some friend..."
Strangely, I remember also that often someone was coming near me when we had to be "2 by 2" to enter in class and I remember as well that in these moments I fled because I was too shy. When I'm writing these lines the reason seems to appear clearly : I was afraid that something will not happened so perfectly as I had plan in my mind so that's why I was always fleding reality and in fact I maintained my own loneliness.

Let's jump now to today, even if I switch some very important parts which I hope to have the opportunity to tell you an other day.

My problem is that I'm torn between working to be loved and admired and working for Hachem Baroukh Hou. This lack of consideration is deeply printed in me which leads to more and more serch for the approbation of others, their admiration... And more, Hachem decided I could be that impressive guy, bli 'ayin hara I'm kind of "intelligent" with good and fast understanding, funny, kind of "good looking", always succeeding in the first time, the perfect guy with a perfect good life with no struggle at all.. Sometimes I'm wondering how people could be so wrong about me..

Anyway the fact is that it seems that the most I grow up in Torah and Avoda, the most I become alone. And also more and more attractive people come to me and they make me realize how I was denying my life :
for now 1 years I'm telling to myself "I'm happy, I don't want to do anymore what I did, it's normal to don't do these things because it's not good, it's not what Hachem Wants.." but the fact is that is a big lie to myself. I'm still wanting to go out with friends , to smoke, to drink, to listen to goy songs and play them and even sing them, to speak of things that are not always necessary, to have a grilfriend, to play computer game, to stop being always so serious about life and afraid to do something wrong... (In my story I switched the highschool part when I met some very good friends but unfortunatly also did all these things with them). I begin to see that I need to stop deny all that, to understand it's normal and I'm not a bad boy to want these things, was just raised in that society for 20 years now and that I can be proud of myself to have quit all these stuff (feel nice to have some good opinion of yourself sometimes..)

Maybe it was to counter this loneliness and give an excuse to my shyness that I did Techouva 3 years ago when I entered at University with knowing only one person, and not so good.
But I like to tell myself no, that is was because I feel Him since I'm little, I've always been very close to Him even if I didn't do nothing. Before an exam, there was always a daven to Him, always thanking him for all I had, always this little voice in my head (even if I didn't know the halakha) that what I was doing was not good.

By writting that I see how Hachem is organizing all this story and how He puts me in front of the choice. What is even more impressive is the fact that the more I grow up in Torah, the more I feel alone; and the more I attract the attention of others with jokes and speaking about old bad habits and so on the more I feel away from Hachem.

As an example, few days ago I learnt that because of family problems between my uncle and my parents we will spend the seder alone one more time. That means don't be with my cousin and so going to shoul alone again, eat cold alone again, study alone again, nobody to speak about Torah again... After the Chabbatot alone, the Pourim alone, now it's Pessach' alone. I can't stand it. And my parents don't want me to go with some religious friend for Chabbat because they afraid I grow more in Torah.. I think loneliness is the clue of my disease.. Even at university I don't have even one real friend who has the same desire as me. I feel that nobody understands me and that hurts..

I'm afraid this post is really really too long, even if I tried to structure it the best I could with the less mistakes of language..
I've also noticed that I didn't speak lot about lust, that shows well that lust isn't the problem in itself but just a solution we use against the problem.

This post doesn't have a specifical goal, except sharing with friends here who seem to understand me better than others.

Thank you all
Last Edit: 29 Mar 2015 00:35 by Palti-Yossef.

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 29 Mar 2015 01:16 #251425

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Thanks for sharing and being honest! You helped me tonight.
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 29 Mar 2015 01:35 #251427

• newaction
  • Platinum Boarder
Palti Y thanks for sharing that. I was very touched by your post. Probably i identify myself with your story. So now what are our options to take. Sadness is definitely not a mode to dwell on . It brings to self pity , feeling of "i am so lost" and then the triggers come . You know in Alcoholics A. they have a say : Poor me, Poor me , POUR ME PLEASE". So what do you think to do about it ?

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 29 Mar 2015 19:42 #251482

• Palti-Yossef
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you serenity for the kind words, they were very appreciated even if sadness is always here.

Newaction your words are true, as usual. It's amazing how this self pity makes triggers come.. I felt I could be MZL without even touching myself today, only with mind and sadness. "bH" my ego is here and if I stay clean until tomorrow I'll be up to 50 clean days which would be my longest strike ever, so my ego is for the moment not interested in falling.
Seriously I really don't know what to do with that. I think I'll hide it the best I can as usual and wait and see what will happen.. Nissan is the month of miracles, isn't it....?

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 29 Mar 2015 20:53 #251491

• newaction
  • Platinum Boarder
Wanting to get to 50 days is nowhere near ego. It is you wanting to have things done the right way. I am not sure what did you mean by hiding . But if you are talking about emotions , the best therapy for them is to put them "on the table" , to throw a light on them and look them straight to their face. It is very ok to feel . IT is 100 % kosher. Your feelings are NOT you. They are just that , feelings. The Chidush is that you can feel one way but act another way. You don't necessarily have to behave according to any given feeling.

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 29 Mar 2015 22:34 #251495

• Palti-Yossef
  • Expert Boarder
Yes I was talking about hiding my feelings, you found well. You must be right on the way to take them as well.....! "Look them straight to their face" I wish I will be able to do that instead of escaping..

Thank you for helping and sharing nice advices during hard times ! When you write something, it always looks so simple and clear.

Let's keep in touch with good news bH and thank you so much !

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 29 Mar 2015 23:41 #251503

• SamJoe
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Senior Boarder
Palti y I have to say I admire your determination!
I was looking through your thread and saw the story with being alone with your devices which reminds me of when I became bar mitzvah my cousins (wanting me to be happy) bought me a PSP (it's like a tablet...) Well in a very short time I was surfing for those "interesting" websites and got really hooked... I tried to stop going on those websites but I couldn't so I tried giving it to my older brother asking him not to give it back, well that night I had it back already and yes I was surfing those sites again. One day I felt so terrible about it that u just through the PSP in the garbage and it helped me for a few years
I'm sharing this story because I feel I can relate a bit to what it takes to not give in to your devices, and I take chizuk from seeing others also fighting and try to finally break free of this struggle
Hatzlacha!

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 29 Mar 2015 23:54 #251504

• newaction
  • Platinum Boarder
Palti-Yossef wrote:
Yes I was talking about hiding my feelings, you found well. You must be right on the way to take them as well.....! "Look them straight to their face" I wish I will be able to do that instead of escaping..

Thank you for helping and sharing nice advices during hard times ! When you write something, it always looks so simple and clear.

Let's keep in touch with good news bH and thank you so much !

Thank you for touching my heart , i am happy i helped you. Keep On Trucking ! You Can Do It !!

I"ll share an excellent quote : "There is but one cause of human failure. And that is man's lack of FAITH IN HIS TRUE SELF." (William James).

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 30 Mar 2015 21:41 #251554

• newaction
  • Platinum Boarder
Palti Yosef . Mazel Tov ! you have reached 50 ! Seven Weeks plus one day ,
Amazing accomplishment !! Keep On Mega Trucking ! Hatzlacha Raba !!!
We are all cheering for you !!

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 31 Mar 2015 21:54 #251605

• Palti-Yossef
  • Expert Boarder
Newaction thank you so much for you chizuk which means a lot to me ! Tonight I get out litlle by little from my sadness, and a big part of this gift from Hachem is surely thanks to GYE. The Rebbe's maamar I studied is certainly big part of that too !

Anw you right now 50 days, it's totally amazing !! If someone have told me I would succeed 50 days clean I wouldn't have believed him.. I begin to try to understand that it's not a matter of number of days but more a different mindset and approach of life..!!

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 31 Mar 2015 22:34 #251608

• Palti-Yossef
  • Expert Boarder
And I forgot to tell you that today I ended the GYE handbook, so let's make a big leh'aïm with all of you to thank you one more time :

LEH'AÏM VELIVRAH'A, hoping to see all of you very soon in Yerushalaim !

(Sometimes I tell myself that when Machia'h will come, we would probably make a big table with all GYE members, but I still don't know exactly what we would do ! )
Last Edit: 31 Mar 2015 22:48 by Palti-Yossef.

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 01 Apr 2015 04:22 #251636

• yiraishamaim
  • Platinum Boarder
I know what we wouldn't do!

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 01 Apr 2015 06:32 #251643

• newaction
  • Platinum Boarder
Palti-Yossef wrote:
I begin to try to understand that it's not a matter of number of days but more a different mindset and approach of life..!!

Great understanding Palti !! You are right on track ! Behatzlacha !!

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 01 Apr 2015 14:07 #251656

• Hashivalisesonyishecho
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Please Hashem give me back my Neshama
newaction wrote:
Palti-Yossef wrote:
I begin to try to understand that it's not a matter of number of days but more a different mindset and approach of life..!!

Great understanding Palti !! You are right on track ! Behatzlacha !!

Ditto

Re: Beginning the real 'Avodat Hachem ! 01 Apr 2015 21:25 #251702

• Palti-Yossef
  • Expert Boarder
Happy to be able to post tonight again, even if it's hard to find time, the benefit is obvious.

Anyway tomorrow could be an amazing day and a big opportunity to grow in the good way and to help a bneisrael.. I'm explaining myself :

Today I was lunching with a good friend and I wanted to show him a video of Rav Ovadia Yossef ztq'l. I forgot because of my filter I didn't have access to YouTube so I told him. He was very surprised and told me that he wanted to put a filter on his phone for long time but he didn't. I told him that mine was good and I looked him in the eyes : "it block all the images with sexual caracter.." and no answer from him. So no ambiguity here. After class I ask him if he wants me to be his password keeper and he said yes. But his phone didn't have battery anymore so we'll put the filter tomorrow b"H. I think I found someone, and part of my friends, who is struggling in this as well. But I don't know how to engage the conversation about that tomorrow when we'll put the filter..
I need your help, how can I begin to speak about this subject with him. I feel it could be an amazing opportunity for us as we could helping each other every day, with calls and so on...!

Please help me !!
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes