Welcome, Guest

healthy competition??
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: healthy competition?? 1063 Views

healthy competition?? 17 Sep 2014 18:44 #239779

• neshamaincharge
  • Current streak: 3654 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Just a short ha'arah: I am sure you thought about this, but I was wondering about putting a number (not the count of days) in front of people's names on the 90 day chart. It just seems like a rating that invites me to compare myself to others rather than focusing on doing my best and what I need to do. Is this an example of kinas sofrim? I don't know, but it just gave me reason to pause when I noticed myself looking to see if I went up in my comparative rating rather than just how well I am doing. & I don't think that is good for me. This chart has been tremendously helpful for me because I don't want to break my streak. I'm wondering if anyone has any comments about this. Ksiva Vchasima Tova!

Re: healthy competition?? 17 Sep 2014 18:54 #239781

• dms1234
  • Current streak: 767 days
  • Platinum Boarder
It could be good: inspiration to others or it could be bad: focusing too much on the days.

Whatever you decide, take a deep breath and focus on what really matters: true recovery, truly living life
I am happy to speak on the phone. Please email me at dms1234ongye@gmail.com

My name is Daniel, I go to face to face meetings and I work the 12 steps with a sponsor. 

Re: healthy competition?? 17 Sep 2014 18:58 #239782

• cordnoy
Neshamah...are you referrin' to the number of days, or to some other random number?

Please explain.

thanks
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: healthy competition?? 17 Sep 2014 19:09 #239783

• bigmoish
  • Platinum Boarder
There's a number in front of each username on the 90 days list, as if it's a ranking.

guardyoureyes.com/90-days-chart
Handbook | Skep's Tips
My threads:
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/236327-Bigmoish-tries-to-be-good
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/236329-Bigmoishs-path-to-tahara

"We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo
"Expectation is the mother of frustration" - gibbor120
"Today, damn it! Today!" - cordnoy
"Desiring is not a sin at all, but just a sign that you are not dead yet" - Dov
"We are our own worst observer" - eslaasos's therapist
WDHW!!!

Re: healthy competition?? 14 Oct 2014 04:47 #241295

• neshamaincharge
  • Current streak: 3654 days
  • Platinum Boarder
The more I see the ranking, the more I don't like it or what it does to/for me. Why should I pay any attention at all as to whether I am higher than others or not? I think it (I'm talking specifically about the ranking in comparison to others as opposed to just the count) draws me into the unhealthy aspects of competition which are not good for me.

why should I feel better, if somebody else fell and therefore I have a higher ranking?

does anyone have similar thoughts? is there any way to get it changed/removed?

Re: healthy competition?? 14 Oct 2014 10:10 #241308

• inastruggle
  • Current streak: 25 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • the picture is shimshon hagibor. not st. mary....
The number on the list is not a "ranking", it's more like an arbitrary number used to count the number of participants in the program.

Consider the following:

a) People with the same amount of days are higher and lower than each other even though in "ranking" they would be equal.

b) People who don't update their chart daily, (this may be the majority) are going to be lower on the chart than others who have less days but update more frequently.

c) If it were a ranking then many other factors would have to come into play, such as, total number of clean days, time in between falls, if you're married or single,....

Personally, I get a lot of chizzuk by the number of people on the chart. It means I'm not alone, and that their also still fighting alongside me.

If it still bothers you then you can email guard at eyes.guard@gmail.com and see if he wants to change it.

Re: healthy competition?? 20 Oct 2014 14:46 #241488

• cordnoy
inastruggle wrote:

c) If it were a ranking then many other factors would have to come into play, such as, total number of clean days, time in between falls, if you're married or single,....

Just curious....married or single? Which do you consider more difficult?

thanks

Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

Re: healthy competition?? 20 Oct 2014 21:01 #241526

• inastruggle
  • Platinum Boarder
Seeing as I've never been married wouldn't know.....

I've heard arguments both ways, that for a bachur he can just forget the whole topic and he doesn't need to draw boundaries between healthy sex and lusting.

However a married guy has a form of pas b'salo, and isn't busy imagining who his kallah is going to be.

What do you think?

Re: healthy competition?? 20 Oct 2014 21:14 #241527

• cordnoy
Honestly...don't know.

There's pas besalo and all the frustrations that come with it (sorry if I busted your bubble). My question was one of curiosity, for you wrote it in a way like you knew which way you would factor it.

But don't worry yourself on it...it's an irrelevant question.

Re: healthy competition?? 20 Oct 2014 21:34 #241532

• inastruggle
  • Platinum Boarder
B"h that bubble busted long ago. It was one of the first, and most important, things I learnt when I joined.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes