Welcome, Guest

1st time - my story
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: 1st time - my story 14253 Views

Re: 1st time - my story 17 May 2011 20:07 #106193

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
dear all, some thoughts after almost 3 years in the 'struggle': of course it's so much easier than it was when i started.those first 90 days were the hardest - but they accomplished much.in the beginning - don't think - just do.later on, you can think. any therapy is this way - the therapy can not begin to work unless you're clean.as for now, almost 3 years later, i'm still struggling, but i know that a 38 year habit dies hard.ther are days when i wake up and i feel i still miss it, and then there are days when i wake up and i feel great, like a free man.on those days, i feel strong.i'm waiting for the time when the days i feel great are more numerous than the days when i feel weak.it might take 35 more years! but you know, we Jews have been known to have patience.so i just keep pushing, keep in touch with people in my neighborhood who are like me, and day-to-day just keep going. whenever i see these people in shul, i get a little more chizuk.and whenever i see them i have a mini-meeting with them.how's everybody doin'?
jack
Last Edit: by .

Re: 1st time - my story 18 May 2011 00:20 #106225

• IamAdam
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm on day 15 now....thank you for the reminder not to think! Just do! I have to tell myself that over and over, but I know it comes through when it comes from someone who has experienced and achieved so much.

Re: 1st time - my story 18 May 2011 14:31 #106255

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
dear iamadam,
now,even though i dont do the 12 steps, i think step 12 is absolutely ingenious.it says you must pass on the message to others.i think one reason for this is that the one passing on the message gets chizuk in return from the one receiving the message.like you just did. yes, i, too, still need chizuk.so your response to me helps me continue going forward. i wonder if i'll ever be at the stage when i won't need chizuk, but do it all on my own? nah, can't be. G-d created us to need each other - that's called am yisrael.
jack

Re: 1st time - my story 20 May 2011 06:40 #106458

• Eye.nonymous
  • Platinum Boarder
jack wrote on 18 May 2011 14:31:

i wonder if i'll ever be at the stage when i won't need chizuk

We always need chizzuk.

In looking at my history with this form, my weakest moments were when I forgot to keep in touch with others.  I thought about my last fall, after 7 months clean (Before I joined this forum I was acting out about once a week), and what I was missing most was I had started trying to recover ON MY OWN.

--Eye.

Re: 1st time - my story 20 May 2011 14:41 #106480

• Dov
  • Administrator
Reb Eye! You are beautiful. Alei vhatzlach!
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: 1st time - my story 23 May 2011 15:43 #106604

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
what am i up to these days? constant diversions.every second another diversion.sometimes breathing, sometimes exercise, sometimes learning, sometimes reading, sometimes thinking about something else, taking my mind off 'it' all day long.until i go to sleep.a lot of work, it is, a lot of work.but worth it.yes, worth it.those people on the screen are NOT our friends.they couldn't care less about you and your families, and your beautiful jewish children.they couldn't care less about your reputation in the community.as long as you pay to see them - that's all they care about.your real friends are right here.your fellow GYE'ers care about you, and they care about your families, and your wife and your children.so who would you rather be close with?

jack
Last Edit: 23 May 2011 15:45 by .

Re: 1st time - my story 23 May 2011 17:14 #106630

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
the rewards - i'm not talking about the rewrdsa in heaven - no eye has seen them - i'm talking about the rewards on this earth, in this life, for ourselves, from abstaining.
1 - happiness;2 - freedom;3- strength;4-no time-wasting and maybe some others. these dont come right away - in the beginning, it's rough,no rewards, but as time goes on, the rewards become, slowly, more apparent.they come slow, they're not physical.only physical rewards come fast, and then they are gone.
jack

Re: 1st time - my story 24 May 2011 12:20 #106703

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
sometimes i feel good being clean, and that feeling can last an hour or more.then, something happens - a thought comes into my head that i feel terrible being clean.like a roller coaster.how does one ride a roller coaster? when the high parts come, grab on tight, and ride it out, let it pass, and enjoy the rest of the ride.let the thought come, and it's bothersome, just like your boss, and at 5 pm you can go home and forget about the boss,so too with this.as the thought comes in, dont fight it,just ride out the storm.of course, as i always say, i can't tell anyone what to do.just offering what works for me.hopefully it will help someone out there.

jack

Re: 1st time - my story 24 May 2011 16:20 #106731

• Dov
  • Administrator
"It's 5 o'Clock somewhere"

- Jimmy Buffet
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: 1st time - my story 14 Jun 2011 15:56 #108632

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
dear all, until 120, i'm approaching my 3-year anniversary in 'the struggle'. i can't say i'm perfect, and i've slipped along the way.but only about 5 times in the whole 3 years.what a difference from before i started! that's how i look at it - how far did i come, rather than 'am i perfect'.the strong urges to visit the movies are no longer present - and it really doesn't matter that i'm over 50.when i was there i saw some dirtly old men hanging around.but a 38 year old habit takes time to break, i'm not using this as an excuse, but it's the absolute truth.
progress is not a straight line up-it has peaks and valleys.
so, thanks again for all you've done for me, and thousands like me.

jack

Re: 1st time - my story 14 Jun 2011 16:03 #108634

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
mazel tov Jack, till 120 in good health and cheer!
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: 1st time - my story 14 Jun 2011 16:27 #108636

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
Mazal Tov, Chaver!
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!

Re: 1st time - my story 14 Jun 2011 17:44 #108640

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
you mean you guys are not disappointed in me that i'm not perfect?

Re: 1st time - my story 17 Jun 2011 04:06 #108877

• Dov
  • Administrator
Jack. You are the real thing, sir. Nice 'knowing' you. I'd really like to meet you one of these days. KOT

Re: 1st time - my story 17 Jun 2011 13:16 #108899

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
dov - you give me chizuk, man! we all need chizuk. even Reuvein, who would have brought yosef back to his father on his shoulders had he known what the Torah would write about him.
now dov, you might know i'm a batlan.so please tell me what  does KOT mean? i dont do texting - so i dont know the abbrvtns.
Last Edit: 17 Jun 2011 14:46 by .
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes