Welcome, Guest

Yaakov's Ladder
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Yaakov's Ladder 185354 Views

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 08 Feb 2014 23:36 #227500

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
So after that interesting talk with Hashem, I was thinking about the steps, and I was troubled. If it is all really Hashem, then why the steps? What am I doing with the steps that brings about that Hashem should step in?

So I asked Dov in a PM, this is what he answered

Dov wrote:
If the zohar calls the 613 mitzvos "eitzos" (to get deveikus), then why need them at all (chovos halevavos also says that the entire purpose of the Torah and mizvos is for us to get a real close relationship with Hashem, so same idea)? Just be doveik. If deveikus is a state of being and a state of mind, then why the action of mitzvos at all? It is the same question, to me.

Saying, "well, the mizvos is the only way to get that relationship" is perhaps mumbojumbo magic talk - do you seriously mean that all the mitzvos are is a magical thing - you take this fruit and shake it and it makes you automatically holy! Presto!

Certainly kavonoh is the thing that makes the mizvos work....so why not just the kavonoh?

Ella what? It is action that changes us, not thinking. So AA (avrohom Avinu) HAD to DO the akeidah even though Hashem already knew he was 100% sincere when he said OK, and took his son for the trip right at the start. But Action - actually taking the knofe was the only thing that would turn AA (Avrohom Avinu) into the tzaddik and y'rei Elokim that the akeida MADE him into! WE tend to think that the tzaddikim (and ourselves) were just 'on' that madreigah. But it is not so. It comes from doing.

And the steps are the very mitzvos of addicts - they are the mitzvos of derech eretz (sanity and spirituality) that are way before Torah (for addicts). They are not about thinking or attitude - they are the actions we take in some way for each one, so that we become sane people who are able to get the heck out of G-d's way, one day at a time.

So the next time you think the 12 steps are a thing you need to sit and think about and really work on...I think you aught to get off your ass and DO something that embodies the step, instead. Because action is the way that you will have a reasonable hope of ever changing and using the steps.

And pray for me, too. And BTW, prayer is also action, not thought.

Pidaini wrote:
Shkoyach,

Meaning that the action steps will turn me into the person that really let's Hashem, rather than the person that knows to let Hashem.

correct?

Dov wrote:
Yes, if you work them. Not if you know them or study them, only if you actually work them to live by them one day at a time as best you can, with help from G-d and fellow people who are doing that be"H. Studying the steps does not really help that much except if it is about what to do and you do it. Even imperfectly.

Sound OK?
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 09 Feb 2014 10:38 #227527

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
gibor120 wrote:
bli neder

Truth is, I'd probably be better off making a neder, some sort of taphsik....but I don't want to, not yet. I can do this myself, ha!!

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 09 Feb 2014 14:00 #227531

• think good
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Gold Boarder
Pidaini
The loophole still works. How do I know? I use it to watch movies. Innocent movies, but still time consuming, life wasting, relationship destroying, movies.

Pidaini you can do better you know there is no such thing as innocent movies!

do something now - close the loophole or make a neder or both or ???

coffee and cake on me bn (if i make the meeting)

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 13 Feb 2014 22:41 #227657

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
The past two days I've been looking for certain female organs, and I found them, and I drank the sights. But I wasn't really happy with that, and I knew there was something going on, after all, the lusting isn't the problem, it's the solution.

As I finished up step 4 and looking to do step 5, I know that one of the character defects that really affects me is that I feel I am entitled.....to everything, to everything that I feel I need to make me comfortable.

Since I am doing so much, I'm going to sleep on time, getting up early, learning flassig, helping out at home...I am entitled to some recognition, but it hasn't been very forthcoming. So i've been looking for something else to fill that.....and I was finding it (somewhat).

As I was chatting with MBJ (about his post in Dr.Watson's thread I was reminded "I haven't spoken to Hashem about this quite yet". I pushed it off at first, as there were some "more important" things that I had to do (some things that would . Hashem was kind to me and put something on hold for a few minutes so I took the oportunity to speak to Him. I'll write the details of that conversation in the Talking to Hashem thread.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 21 Feb 2014 18:43 #228031

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
I ordered a few things on line this past week, and I noticd something very interesting, I get very excited every time I pass the mail box seeing if they came yet. When I come onto the computer I go and track them to see where they are. What's the big deal?

I look forward to something chsnging in my life, something exciting, something different. I'm finding NOW too boring, I'm obviously not happy with myself. Maybe that's why I've started looking at women again, and actually made it to youtube today (I happen to have been exhausted and now that I woke up I feel much better, but I was still there).

When I pass by the mailbox I escape the present for a moment, and go into the future, to a time when I will be excited with the new lenses, the new mp4 player, the new anything, just something new to add some spice to life.

The truth is though that the NOW has so much available for me, there is so much that I can do with it, so much growth, so much fun, so much feeling that I can put into it, I need to just invest a little bit of mind to it instead of jsut doing things on automatic.

Thank You Hashem for that reminder, and thank you for NOW!!

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 21 Feb 2014 22:54 #228039

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
thanks for sharing. i do the exact same thing, order something, track it, anticipate it. when it comes it keep me busy for a bit then the tedium continues...
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 22 Feb 2014 03:14 #228045

• dms1234
  • Current streak: 767 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Yup i also struggle with this. I am always looking forward to the next big thing. I think we just have to appreciate the moment right now. Tomorrow will come soon enough (but actually, really quickly, its almost purim!!!). The more we are excited about tomorrow the less we live NOW. Its just another escape from reality.
I am happy to speak on the phone. Please email me at dms1234ongye@gmail.com

My name is Daniel, I go to face to face meetings and I work the 12 steps with a sponsor. 

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 22 Feb 2014 23:14 #228048

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
Pidaini wrote:
I'm obviously not happy with myself.

That can go two ways. The one I had in mind when I was typing it was that there was something more that I should be doing, I should be holding somewhere higher, bigger in life, and I was doing something wrong if I wasn't there.

Over Shabbos I realized that it was exactly the opposite, I want to be higher, better, bigger, and since I'm not there, I was upset about it.

In reality I am really growing, BH, slowly, but surely. I need to be real, know where I am up to and see if according to that I am doing everything I can, and I think I am doing quite well.

So, big dreams, fantasies......see you later, as I'm sure you'll be back, but for now, I'm good, exactly the way I need to be!!

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 22 Feb 2014 23:23 #228050

are you living in my head?!?
i used to look back all the time saying "oh no! what have i done! Hashem help me erase the past." and i never heard a response.
finally i started looking forward saying "Hashem i'm leaving the past to you and i'm forgetting all about it. help me have a good future. help me from here and on be the person You want me to be." and that's where i realized Hashem had been waiting to help me all along

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 22 Feb 2014 23:58 #228051

• dd
  • Platinum Boarder
  • כל זמן שהנשמה בקרבי מודה אני לפניך
hi pidaini a gut voch !

are you going to celebrate with your next post when it reaches 1234 or are you going to say one post at a time .

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 23 Feb 2014 08:25 #228059

• dms1234
  • Current streak: 767 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Pidaini
In reality I am really growing, BH, slowly, but surely. I need to be real, know where I am up to and see if according to that I am doing everything I can, and I think I am doing quite well.

You are doing incredible!!! and you are incredible! KOT!!
I am happy to speak on the phone. Please email me at dms1234ongye@gmail.com

My name is Daniel, I go to face to face meetings and I work the 12 steps with a sponsor. 
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2014 08:26 by dms1234.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 23 Feb 2014 10:28 #228065

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
dd wrote:
are you going to celebrate with your next post when it reaches 1234 or are you going to say one post at a time .

hmmm....both?

1......2......3......4.....WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Lizzie....I didn't forget the one!!!!!!!!! )

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 23 Feb 2014 11:13 #228066

• dd
  • Platinum Boarder
  • כל זמן שהנשמה בקרבי מודה אני לפניך
i knew your going to figure out how to address both

GEVALDIG

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 24 Feb 2014 22:04 #228128

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
Pidaini wrote:

I look forward to something changing in my life, something exciting, something different. I escape the present for a moment, and go into the future, to a time when I will be excited with the new anything, just something new to add some spice to life.

You mean there are things that even YOU don't have yet?!

I thought you had EVERYTHING
?דער באשעפער לאווט מיך אייביג. וויפיל לאוו איך עהם
My Creator loves me at all times. How great is my love for him?

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 26 Feb 2014 16:45 #228241

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
I should have put this up when it was more fresh, but I didn't (duh).

As much as I knew that I needed to pull back on the expectations on myself, I didn't really do anything to make it concrete, i.e. talk to Hashem about it. That may have been why I let loose on some ("muttar")lustful desires afterwards. Well, I was quite disappointed in myself about letting loose, and that led to.......more letting loose, but the more letting loose was assur (youtube, google images, etc.).

I finally went to my official GYE place, and instead of calling friends as I would normally do, I called Hashem. I admitted what I had done wrong, I admitted to where that took me and the wrong decisions that I had made. I admitted that I should have come to Him earlier, and I asked Him to help me live the way He wants me to, from NOW on.

Another grand slam for Hashem!!!!!!!!

As for me, I have asked Hashem to help me come to Him before I'm ahead, because if He helped me after making the wrong decisions, then He would have for sure helped before I acted out on anything.

I have already made a point of talking to Him about the smallest issues, which I thought until now that I could deal with alone. Now I see that I really need to include Hashem in those as well, because I can't know what I can handle and what I can't. It will probably also make me more comfortable being open and honest with Him.

BH, still clean, and trying to learn from every slip.
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes