Welcome, Guest

Shomer's Journal
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Shomer's Journal 13127 Views

Re: Shomer's Journal 08 Jan 2009 20:40 #1882

• Shomer
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Well today is day 1.

I was working from my home yesterday and when logged into VPN I noticed that Jnet was not filtering traffic.  I realized that this was because the VPN that I was logged into was serving my Internet traffic.  Once on an unfiltered connection I set up a proxy to anonymously browse from that connection and that was it.

I have two entry points to VPN, one that services Internet and one that does not.  The one that services Internet is a better connection, but obviously the open loophole is dangerous for me.  I will remove profile for that connection from my laptop and keep it on a local PC at work.  At least that way, I won't have a discretionary way around Jnet without going to work first.

Need to keep on trying ...
Last Edit: by .

Re: Shomer's Journal 08 Jan 2009 21:14 #1884

• the.guard
  • Current streak: 697 days
Learning from the falls... that's the name of the game. listen, Jnet has a program that locks you into their server. PLEASE install it. Here's the info:

www.thefilternet.com  - Client software (that works through jnets servers).
Tel: 718-710-4297
support@thefilternet.com
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.
Last Edit: 08 Jan 2009 21:16 by eliten.

Re: Shomer's Journal 13 Jan 2009 21:47 #1994

• Shomer
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi GUE,

Thanks for the info!  Although I did not go with filternet for a number of reasons, I did come up with an alternate solution.

1) I disabled VPN profile that was giving me unrestricted access even over Jnet

2) Had my friend install Spectorsoft Pro monitoring software on my PC w/ password protection

3) Had him install Spectorsoft e-blaster that provides remote monitoring of my web activity

4) Blocked all the questionable sites locally on my PC using e-blaster

Today is day 6 ...
Last Edit: by LR33.

Re: Shomer's Journal 13 Jan 2009 22:18 #1997

• the.guard
Wow, that's some serious research and effort you put it. You really have what it takes to be a commander in this battle!

As I am always looking for new ideas for filters to help people, can you send me an e-mail at eyes.guard@gmail.com with all the info you wrote below, only a bit clearer so that anyone (even not so computer savvy) would know what to do, step by step? Also, if you can write what your exact problems were beforehand (i.e. how you were able to bypass your filters) and how you solved it now... that could be a big help for others. Thanks!
Webmaster of www.guardyoureyes.org - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World. We’re here on a quest ; it’s really all a test. Just do your best and G-d will do the rest.

Re: Shomer's Journal 14 Jan 2009 16:27 #2009

• Shomer
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I sent you and e-mail describing the basics of what I have set up as well as how I have circumvented filters and monitoring software.  Please do not publish the workarounds as it may be a shaiyla of lifnay iyver.

I believe that I have set up a system for myself that is pretty tamper proof.

I know that I will still need to work recovery diligently, however, as nothing is 100%.

Thanks for all your help!
Last Edit: by imnotalone.

Re: Shomer's Journal 15 Jan 2009 22:30 #2034

• Shomer
  • Fresh Boarder
Today is day 8 ...

Thank you GUE for all the invaluable tips/advice/chizuk and everything else you do.

At this point I have come to the realization that I cannot do it without a good Internet filtering and monitoring system.  The nissoyon of having open, unfiltered and unmonitored Internet is just too great.  With the help of GUE and a friend, I have set something up that I think that I think that I can work with.  I realize that this is not the solution, but just another weapon in the arsenal.  But without the right weapons, how can you expect to win a war?

Chazak Chazak V'Nischazek 
Last Edit: by jimbo.

Re: Shomer's Journal 18 Jan 2009 11:50 #2044

• battleworn
Having all that clear (and being committed to act accordingly) is more than half way to winning the battle!
Last Edit: by bzyzgye.

Re: Shomer's Journal 19 Jan 2009 14:48 #2054

• Shomer
  • Fresh Boarder
B"H I made it through the weekend.  I know that I could not have done it without the extra protection afforded by the filtering/monitering/jnet that I have set up.

I hope bezras Hashem to get to a point where staying clean for the weekend does not come down to having a solid filter, but that is where I am at today, so I will work from where I am.

Today is day 12 ...
Last Edit: by teenstruggle.

Re: Shomer's Journal 19 Jan 2009 15:56 #2058

• the.guard
As they say in martial arts. A true warrior is not judged by how strong his sword is, but rather, his power is in his state of mind.

The filter is your sword, and it's important. But like you say, the goal is the state of mind.

Hashem be with you!
Last Edit: 19 Jan 2009 16:10 by circus100.

Re: Shomer's Journal 20 Jan 2009 15:10 #2071

• Shomer
  • Fresh Boarder
Today is day 13 ...

Baruch Hashem I have been feeling pretty good and have not been gripped with the overwhelming urge to act out.  I have been keeping my sedarim and getting up for davening on time.

I have been feeling some personal pressures as of late but am trying to keep a gam zu letova attitude regarding my personal challenges.

Wishing you all much bracha and hatzlocho
Last Edit: by thewinner.

Re: Shomer's Journal 20 Jan 2009 16:17 #2080

• the.guard
Tomorrow you hit level 3!

KUTGW

(can you figure out what that means?)
Last Edit: by arlookingforhelp.

Re: Shomer's Journal 20 Jan 2009 16:45 #2083

• ano nymous
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Keep up the good work (2.4 seconds)!! :D
Last Edit: by AnaneiHaEmet.

Re: Shomer's Journal 21 Jan 2009 20:51 #2153

• Shomer
  • Fresh Boarder
Today is day 14 ... the two week mark.

I had an appointment today and was not at work.  I arrived home about 20 minutes ago and need to finish some things up before I go to bais medrash to learn.  I am so glad that I have Jnet installed as well as the filter/monitor.  I have been davening to Hashem for the strength to overcome this terrible machalah.  It is hard to muster much encouragement, even after two weeks of being clean, because I have been down this road so many times before.  Perhaps it is a good thing, though, not to get ahead of myself and focus on the days sobriety rather than what will be next week or next month or after 90 days etc.

May Hashem give us all the strength to overcome all our nesyonos and actualize the mishana in avos that states aizeho gibor, hakovesh es yitzro.  Our true strength truly lies in our ability to overcome our own shortcomings.

Re: Shomer's Journal 21 Jan 2009 21:22 #2155

• the.guard
Ashrecha! Today's Chizuk e-mail... living in the moment. Keep strong!

Re: Shomer's Journal 22 Jan 2009 16:15 #2179

• Shomer
  • Fresh Boarder
Today is day 15.

Into my 3rd week and  B"H things are going pretty well.  No particularly strong urges to act out today.

I really appreciate all the encouragement and support this forum provides.

GUE, you are a mezakeh es ha'rabim so that means that the zechus ha'rabim is taluya buch.

Hatzlocha to all ...
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes