Welcome, Guest

Climbing up the Ranks
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Climbing up the Ranks 2962 Views

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 24 Jul 2012 02:36 #142241

just checking in. I fell again this past Thursday, mostly due to laziness and search of a quick escape of reality, and what do you know, reality was still there when I came back around, so much for escaping.

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 24 Jul 2012 04:09 #142254

SoldierOfHashem wrote on 24 Jul 2012 02:36:

and search of a quick escape of reality, and what do you know, reality was still there when I came back around, so much for escaping.

Powerful, its important to remind ourselves of that BEFORE we try to escape. Whatever it is were avoiding WONT just GO AWAY or disappear. Its like, we know that were fooling ourselves and we still just want to fool ourselves.

SOH. Pick yourself right back up and Keep Marching!

Practically speaking for laziness (not that IM the one to say this I need to do this MYSELF) , try making a schedule and sticking to it. maybe even a small knass? Maybe make goals?
Good Luck!

("Its not Luck we need, rather effort"--unknown....ok me 5 seconds ago but still "unknown" sounds cooler..)

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 24 Jul 2012 12:47 #142265

• E-Tek
  • Current streak: 25 days
  • Gold Boarder
Welcome back!
Do you still have my number?
Feel free to call! (Disclaimer: I will not pick up during seder.)

Have a pleasant, clean day.
Meir

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 24 Jul 2012 20:14 #142333

• rt
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Gold Boarder

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 27 Jul 2012 02:24 #142534

thanks guys for the chizuk. I really could have used it yesterday :-[ just goes to show me that even with out access to the internet I am still vulnerable and can fall just as easy. I really need to work the steps, I did join in on a 12 step phone group today so wish me luck (i know JKG we dont ask for luck so I'll try and daven that Hashem helps me)

Meir I do still have your number I have been meaning to give you a call, maybe I'll call you soon.

RT I will join you I can definitely benefit from all your enthusiasm it is very inspiring. By join you I'm guessing you are referring to an accountability group, you can count me in, let me know more.

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 01 Aug 2012 18:50 #142784

• rt
  • Gold Boarder
I just saw your post.

Good luck : ) or should i better wish hatzlocha?
so, bechatzlacha!

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 05 Aug 2012 09:19 #142937

• think good
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Gold Boarder
POST POST POST

oh and for my step to improvement I will try to post 2-3 times a week regardless of how I am doing
and install a filter If I get that computer back or on what ever computer I get.

Try to post everyday. Just knowing your friends are watching will help a lot.

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 14 Aug 2012 11:25 #143636

• yehoshua1
  • Current streak: 1957 days
  • Platinum Boarder
SoldierOfHashem wrote on 24 Jul 2012 02:36:
mostly due to laziness and search of a quick escape of reality

It is how I feel too, I am struggling with the same problem - like in this minute. So how do you deal with that or maybe how would you like to deal with that?

Forgive me, if I am direct, but for me it was impossible to join a group. Sorry everyone, that is me. But I must admit, without this place I wouldn't stand a chance. So lazyness... I didn't want to talk about myself. ???

Anyway, it helps to do a random mitzvahs at the beginning, but then when you need to do something and start procrastinating, for me it is best to just go: if i fall, i will get up again and start over, work harder. Cos I think for me being lazy really means being afraid of failure, so then I don't even want to try...

So you were saying...

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 16 Aug 2012 04:38 #143763

Yehoshua please feel free to share things about yourself too, I'll listen.

what do you mean you cant join a group? do you mean a 12 step group, if so don't feel pressured by anyone, everyone has what works for them and what works for one person doesn't always work for another so defiantly find what works for you but if what you try does not work try other things.

About laziness and avoidance, I find that with me it usually stems from two main causes (at least the laziness, because avoidance also comes from RID, not to get into 12 step stuff but that is exactly what escaping reality usually is) but laziness for me is either a form of procrastination and I can go on and on about that in matter of fact I am procrastinating right now and the more I write the more I am procrastinating. as a side note I have been noticing lately that I sometimes use my recovery as an excuse to procrastinate but that is not here or there, the other leading cause of my laziness is plain old selfishness, saying, "I don't want to do x,y, or z so I will just relax and take it easy, its not important that I have responsibilities and that others will suffer because of my laziness"

What I have found does work for me not that I do this all the time but I am working on it is to ask myself the "who am I serving question" and not just when I am feeling lazy but whenever I am consciously making a decision

and as you mentioned doing a random mitzvah helps in the beginning, I believe that the reason why this may loose its affect after the initial laziness is in the fact that it is "random" so yes when I am feeling lazy go do something good for someone, thats very nice but what if someone is not around, and I know that many will jump on that and reply just pull out a tehillim and daven for someone, thats very nice too, but personally I'd get board fairly quickly with that and return to laziness.

By conditioning my decision making through asking myself "who am I serving" I am preparing myself for being in a lazy situation and I then have a different attitude about laziness. In matter of fact, with that attitude I can than do something for myself in order that I can down line benefit someone else.

and the other thing that helps but is not so easy is what you do, just get up and work harder and sometimes thats the only way to go. hope my ranting helps a bit

ok and now about me I am doing well.
9 days clean ;D
I have to say that working on shmiras ainayim helps getting through a week, one day, or even step in public at a time, of course. before this week of being clean I had a few falls and I know for a fact that during that time I was not being as careful about shmiras ainayim which most certainly made it easier to initially slip. General consciousness seems to help a lot

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 16 Aug 2012 12:03 #143781

• rt
  • Gold Boarder
uiiiii, 9 days!
chazzak chazzak venitchazek gam anu

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 17 Aug 2012 06:29 #143836

• yehoshua1
  • Current streak: 1957 days
  • Platinum Boarder
congrats on 9 days!!!!

and thanks ;D

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 28 Aug 2012 23:15 #144266

I know I haven't been posting here but I have been staying off the internet again as much as I can and that really helps, and I have been posting short posts on other threads.

Quick update before I run out to Mincha.

first of all I'm at 21 on my current count.

about a week and a half ago I shared some more with my wife about my struggles and told here about the forum and group phone calls without any specifics though and here reaction was similar to other times I shared a little with her, she gets upset that I have secrets I keep from her but after all the emotion she always reassures me that she is always supportive of me and just wants the best for me. I was kind of expecting her to get more upset, well since than nothing really came up I guess theres no need to bring up anything unnecessary

and finally just want to let y'all know that I am home alone for the rest of the week and will need some extra chizuk for the next few days. I will share my game plan for the coming days for be but for now I have to run before I miss Mincha

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 29 Aug 2012 03:46 #144278

• nederman
As you know I am into cognitive therapy, but since you are not I think you should make sure you have a couple of phone numbers. Start calling every day so that when you need it you'll pick up the phone. I'd be happy to give you my number but I think it shouldn't be too hard to find a better sponsor here ...

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 29 Aug 2012 22:25 #144302

thanks NM ;D maybe I'll use some temporary cognitive therapy, I was looking into CBT apparently it has its best results as a temporary form of therapy kind of like a diagnostic therapy to decide what to focus on and how to address it.

Now about me....

unfortunately I didn't make it through the whole night last night, I kept pushing off the Y'h all night but I couldn't fall asleep and was full of H.A.L.T. not so much anger but all the other ones, and those deeply ingrained neuropathic pathways are so frustrating, rrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So my plan for tonight is to make and stick to a schedule and maybe I will try a basic TaPhsIc condition even though I have reluctant feelings towards nedarim but it will be just for tonight and if it goes well tonight I might extend for tomorrow.

My schedule tonight:
Finish this post and disconnect from internet,
schoolwork immediately after until 7:00
prepare and have dinner
maariv 8:30 followed by chavrusa
finnish more school work until 10:00 (move schedule here on earlier if beginning to feel tired)
clean up followed by 30 min of Daf
11:00 exercise 11:30 shower prepare for sleep.

my TaPhsIc for tonight:
if felling lust - call my wife to say hello
if still feeling lust after call or she is not available - 15 min exercise
if I start to slip - 30 min exercise
if I fall - $10 to tzedaka

this goes into affect from now until I wake up tomorrow

Re: Climbing up the Ranks 30 Aug 2012 01:02 #144305

• nederman
Since you are home alone why don't you go to a meeting every night? They'll put a tremendous wind behind your back.
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes