Welcome, Guest

To sobriety and beyond!
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: To sobriety and beyond! 31806 Views

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 07 Dec 2011 19:41 #128004

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 07 Dec 2011 19:39:

I was wondering where you and UAJ got those spiffy looking notes from.
Last Edit: by .

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 07 Dec 2011 19:55 #128012

• ur-a-jew
  • Current streak: 1087 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Although not to be substituted for the real thing.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 07 Dec 2011 20:23 #128017

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1199 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice!
Attachments:
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 13 Dec 2011 15:17 #128422

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Hey Mottel,

You haven't posted in a while.  How are you doing?

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 13 Dec 2011 15:31 #128428

• ur-a-jew
  • Platinum Boarder
gibbor120 wrote on 13 Dec 2011 15:17:

Hey Mottel,

You haven't posted in a while.  How are you doing?

He's too busy writing post-it notes, cooking gourmet meals and chasing screaming kids.
Help free Sholom Rubashkin by giving him the zechus of Shemiras Eiynayim.  www.guardyoureyes.org/forum/index.php?topic=2809.0

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 19 Dec 2011 22:44 #128780

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Mottellllllllllllllllll........
where are you?
did you join the Peace Corp.? did you join Shnooky Shapiro and fly back to the 1700's?
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 19 Dec 2011 23:00 #128786

• ur-a-jew
  • Platinum Boarder
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 19 Dec 2011 22:44:

Mottellllllllllllllllll........
where are you?
did you join the Peace Corp.? did you join Shnooky Shapiro and fly back to the 1700's?

Maybe he was hacked into also:  كما أن بولادة بعد

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 20 Dec 2011 16:49 #128831

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes,all of the above and then some...I had some really rotten news about my business so it takes up a chunk of my time.Anyways, here is recent news from the Mottel Universe:I am still, by the Grace of G-d, sexually sober. Had some challenges in recent weeks, but G-d was right there for me, once He "weresought".My son saw me at the computer reading GYE some time ago, and thenhe saw GYE flyers in shul (that I myself had put out) and he put two and twotogether, and being a normal 14-year old brat, he got into a habit of tauntingme. (Agav,that's partially why I'm staying away from GYE).The most recentexample was last week when we were discussing whether he cango to Chanukaconcert in a "fancy" area of our town. The problem with thoseconcerts, that although they are organized by Chabad, they are marketed towardsless-affiliated, and therefore attract all kinds of boys and girls, and womenwho behave and dress in an immodest manner. (Need I elaborate? I think you getthe picture).So even though we've gone to similar events in the past (and Ithink I discussed here our experience at the Chol Hamoed Sukkos concert), I toldmy son that we are not going to this one and that he is not allowed to go alone(read:with friends). After some going back and forth, he tells me: "Well,YOU have a problem with women, so you shouldn't go; but I can, because I willbe just looking at the stage and listening to music".So on Motzei Shabbos,after he allowed himself another similar comment, I took him outside and wespent an hour walking around the block and talking.I told him that since healready suspects something, and that recent changes in our life-style affect himalso, I feel that he deserves an explanation.I didn't mention SA of course, orthe words sexual addiction, but I did tell him that I'm working out certaincharacter defects within a 12-step program,that I realized I cannot tackle onmy own. At the advice of my sponsor, withwhom I discussed this earlier, Ibrought up AA, and pretty much told him that it is AA meetings I go to ( my sonwas also suspicious as to where I go at the same time every week).But as aprecursor to this discussion, I told him that I took his desire togo to theconcert seriously, and I've discussed it with some trusted friends,and"let me explain why I feel you shouldn't go".So I brought up theparsha, and basically told him the following (again, my sponsor gets credit forthe general idea as to how to approach it):We find that the same act in thisweek's parsha is described as a great mitzva and the worst aveiro. What EishesPotifar wanted to do with Yosef was exactly the same act that Eirr and Oinonshould have done with Tomor. So what would have been an awesome mitzva forTomor's husband(s), would have been the worst aveiro for Yosef. Eirr and Oinonchose to do an aveiro instead, and Yosef, by abstaining, chose to do themitzva.So the doing or refraining from the same action, depending on context,turns it from one extreme to another.G-d gave us a tremendous gift, the power ofEin Sof, to procreate. It is a shame to waste this power, and this is why cheitEirr and Oinon is so grave. On the other hand, controlling your lustful urges isan achievement so great, that Yosef is the only one in the Toiro awarded thetitle Tzaddik.There was more, obviously, in an hour long talk…I think the boytook it well. I told him that should he want to discuss something of this naturewith me, he can do it at any time without any shame or fear.
Thanks for checkingon me, my friends. Happy Chanuka!
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 20 Dec 2011 16:56 #128834

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
wow, mottel, heavy stuff you are dealing with.  Very inspiring!  Glad to hear from you again.... I've been getting a bit hungry .

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 20 Dec 2011 19:53 #128856

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Mottel, i admire your attitude and your approach to the subject with your son. kol hakavod.
thanks for checking in
Happy Chanukah! eat a custard buck wheat donut for me
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 20 Dec 2011 22:12 #128886

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Sorry for the messy writing. Somehow, my Mac doesn't work well with GYE and it took me a few tries just to post that, and for some strange reason it keeps co-joining words, so it's a difficult read, I understand.
I'll try to find time to attend to my kitchen...
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 05 Jan 2012 00:09 #130082

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Hello to all my friends, and a happy New Year. Nitei Gavriel in Hilchos Chanuka brings down from chassidishe sforim, that a posuk in T'hilim "Hashem yispoir b'chsov amim" refers to Hashem benching us on a "goyishe" New Year. PM me if you must have chapter and verse, and I look up the Nitei Gavriel for you when I get home. But a happy and healthy Yohr to you and yours, my friends!
I am still sober and pursuing active recovery from sex addiction. Having a really bad time with my business, looks like I'll be loosing it soon, which is a shame, I wanted to sell it at the very least. Instead I will likely be walking away from it, with almost 100K in debt.
That'll serve me well, of course, because what more proof do I need that mastrubating my brains out to dirty movies had so much control over me that it made me loose my livelyhood?

On another note, there is this guy in my shul who is very aggressive in distributing GYE flyers and talking to people about these issues. I beleive he is following this forum and may have identified me.
I would like to propose to him, that if he shares in our problem, he should come open on this forum instead of lurking around. I wouldn't mind talking to him in person if he so desires (so PM me to make a date).
However if this person doesn't have a sexual addiction/compulsion I would respectfully request that he stays out of other people's business. He has no idea what we are dealing with here, and should keep his nose out of his fellows' private lives. He may be well-intended but his actions could and would jeopordize someone's recovery if he keeps accosting people publicly. He can chase an addict further away into hiding by blatantly suggesting to people to join GYE etc. So please cease and desist, or at least stay out of the lime light when promoting GYE.
Baby steps.

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 05 Jan 2012 20:38 #130176

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
hi Mottel,
it pains me to hear of your financial difficulties. i daven and hope that things get better soon.
i love your attitude and fortitude
keep on rockin

(btw, i am not the guy in your shul)
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 05 Jan 2012 20:50 #130177

• Dov
  • Administrator
(I'm not the guy it your shul, either.)

Hey. Let's start a club! The "not the guy in OM's shul" club. And let's make it no girls allowed, too. Hah.
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: To sobriety and beyond! 05 Jan 2012 21:06 #130180

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1199 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Can I join the "Not in Mottel's Shul" club too?  ;D (That guy may have visited my shul too. A while back someone left a pile of GYE flyers there.)

Mottel, hope things start looking up for you really soon, and may you have much success in all things b'Gashmiyus ub'Ruchniyus.

Gevura!
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes